PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Fitzpatrick?

Pages : [1] 2

Forza Glentoran
21/01/2008, 2:06 PM
Can anyone tell me a bit about Glenn Fitzpatrick? I hear we're looking to bring him to the Oval. Is he any good? Could he do a job for the Glens? Is he tall? What sort of player is he? I'd be grateful for some information.

Cheers.

Danny
21/01/2008, 2:11 PM
He's brilliant.
you lot should defo sign him....
in fact if you are interested in him, i'll even drive him up to belfast myself....

Realistically he'sa tall forward who couldnt hit a barn door last season for us....

Sonic
21/01/2008, 2:13 PM
He would be a decent player in the right team. Started his career well with Rovers but never really lived up to his potential elsewhere. Still has something to offer in my opinion! He is tall and needs a goalscorer alongside him.

Hibs4Ever
21/01/2008, 2:21 PM
Can anyone tell me a bit about Glenn Fitzpatrick? I hear we're looking to bring him to the Oval. Is he any good? Could he do a job for the Glens? Is he tall? What sort of player is he? I'd be grateful for some information.

Cheers.

I hope you's do

Forza Glentoran
21/01/2008, 2:26 PM
He would be a decent player in the right team. Started his career well with Rovers but never really lived up to his potential elsewhere. Still has something to offer in my opinion! He is tall and needs a goalscorer alongside him.

Gary Hamilton would fit that role nicely then! :D

Steve Bruce
21/01/2008, 2:32 PM
So should Linfield be worried about this Fitzpatrick fella?

Has anyone got his goals/appearance stats?

gspain
21/01/2008, 2:36 PM
I've seen him and thought he was brilliant and then other times he is rubbish. He looked abetter player than Jason byrne on Shels Euro run but Byrne was scoring for fun i nth eelague while Fitzpatrick struggled.

I haven't seen much of him at pats but he appears to have plenty of talent but doesn't score enough goals for a striker.

Danny
21/01/2008, 2:38 PM
For Pats last season
Joined in July

Started 5 games
Sub 6 games
Goals 0
Shots on Target 0

drummerboy
21/01/2008, 2:50 PM
He is a skillful target man. Like previous posts he doesn't score enough goals. He did however score two goals against a top notch French team at Lansdowne Road on Shels good European run.

Sheridan
21/01/2008, 2:51 PM
He can be very effective in a narrow strip of the field about forty yards from goal. Which isn't much use to a striker.

Schumi
21/01/2008, 2:53 PM
Started his career well with Rovers but never really lived up to his potential elsewhere. In fact he started his career poorly with UCD, continued it poorly with Athlone and somehow did quite well with Rovers and has gone back downhill since.

TheBoss
21/01/2008, 2:54 PM

League of Ireland:
Pld: 174, Gls: 26

Irish League:
Pld: 3, Gls: 0

Forza Glentoran
21/01/2008, 2:54 PM
I'm gathering from the responses so far that he certainly has the skill, but doesn't seem to use it often enough. Would that be a fair assessment?

Sheridan
21/01/2008, 2:57 PM
All senior footballers have a certain level of skill, the ability to demonstrate it consistently is what sets the good ones apart. Fitzpatrick isn't one of the good ones. He's poor in the air despite his height, has no discernible pace or agility, gets easily discouraged and can't finish. Other than that he's class.

dcfc_1928
21/01/2008, 2:59 PM
Definitely - I remember seeing him play at the Brandywell for the first time, and it was the best performance I'd seen from a young opposition player for a long time and I expected him to go far.

His career has really petered out since.

I'm gathering from the responses so far that he certainly has the skill, but doesn't seem to use it often enough. Would that be a fair assessment?

el punter
21/01/2008, 2:59 PM
From Walkthechalk.com

Ht.6'01" DOB 26-01-81, Dublin.

A former Cherry Orchard schoolboy who has had spells with UCD, Shamrock Rovers and most notably, Shelbourne. Famously scored twice for the Reds v Lille in a Champions league tie back in 2004. Has a delicate touch on the ball, and holds it up well, always looking to bring others into the game. Joined Drogheda United from Shels in December ’05, but never commanded a regular starting role. Had appeared in approximately half of Drogs' 2007 league engagements (8+1 as sub, 2 goals) before joining title rivals St. Pats in July 2007.

Dyl10
21/01/2008, 3:00 PM
He's potentially an excellent player, but is one of those who is completely reliant on confidence.

Unfortunately he seems to lack it more often than not

monutdfc
21/01/2008, 3:15 PM
Didn;t he have a short spell in England? Huddersfield perhaps?

Tenderloins
21/01/2008, 3:23 PM
Hes very good at holding a ball up, and given the right team he could do very well. As mentioned earlier he does better as the support striker.
Not a bad signing.

Graemerz
21/01/2008, 3:43 PM

I think DJ tried to sign him about 3/4 years ago... although not sure if it was him or Mark Farren.

pineapple stu
21/01/2008, 4:02 PM
As schumi pointed out, he in fact started his career with UCD, scoring four goals in 54 games.

Everything except for the bit where you say that he certainly has the skill.

Didn;t he have a short spell in England? Huddersfield perhaps?
I think Huddersfield were interested at one stage, but he joined Shels instead.

Vague feeling he played for an IL team briefly between UCD and Rovers - Glenavon possibly. It was either directly before or after his non-descript stint with Athlone.

garyderry
21/01/2008, 4:18 PM

Well he was the type of player you were always glad was on for the opposition team, could'nt hit a barn door, I for one was always glad when i heard his named in the team :)

Hopefully he will start for yeah in the setanta :p

ndrog
21/01/2008, 4:35 PM
He had a superb game for us in windsor v Linfield. Man of the match for Drogs that day .Just cant put the ball in the back of the net .Great at holding the ball up and bringing in other players but just cant seem to score .On his first return to utd pk with pats he missed a totally open goal , worst miss ive ever seen :eek:

kdjaC
21/01/2008, 4:53 PM
He's brilliant.
in fact if you are interested in him, i'll even drive him up to belfast myself....

Realistically he'sa tall forward who couldnt hit a barn door last season for us....

need petrol money?

kdjac

Martinho II
21/01/2008, 6:05 PM
He had a superb game for us in windsor v Linfield. Man of the match for Drogs that day .Just cant put the ball in the back of the net .Great at holding the ball up and bringing in other players but just cant seem to score .On his first return to utd pk with pats he missed a totally open goal , worst miss ive ever seen :eek:

fitzpatrick reminds me of paul keegan who played for us three years ago( ex bohs ,bray) not drogs one!! Am i correct in assumin that glenn fitzpatrick played for newry up north???

iceman
21/01/2008, 6:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Fitzpatrick

Raheny Red
21/01/2008, 6:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVJF2QWCBjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDa_IxzYsfw

Good times :cool:

AustinoAsprilla
22/01/2008, 12:31 PM
Glenn scored 2 magnificent headers against Lille in Lansdowne road to earn a 2-2 draw that Shels scarcely deserved in the UEFA cup a few years ago. They were really superb.

However, contrary to rumour, Glenn has never done anything before or anything since that warrants a mention...

Sniffer
22/01/2008, 12:37 PM
Ultimately, Glen is a striker who doesn't score goals then. ;)

Ash
22/01/2008, 12:48 PM
Ultimately, Glen is a striker who doesn't score goals then. ;)

He played a bit on the wing for us aswell ...but all in all he was
fairly useless. Was nicknames GLENEINEM after bleaching his hair.

TonyD
22/01/2008, 8:16 PM
Does anyone know is he still under contract at Pats ? I thought I'd read somewhere that he was only signed till the end of last season, but that may just be wishful thinking:) Mind you, if he is still under contract, he's an excellent striker, well worth 20k of anyones money ;)

harry crumb
22/01/2008, 9:46 PM
Will probably end up top scorer in the IL.

BohsPartisan
22/01/2008, 9:49 PM

You should definitely make an approach for Neale Fenn.

Forza Glentoran
22/01/2008, 10:23 PM
Is that suggestion made tongue-in-cheek, or do you seriously rate Fenn? You'll have to forgive me, as I'm not very well up on players in the Eircom. Have to say though, I'm intrigued by this lad Fitzpatrick. If he can score two goals against a top French side, surely he must have something?

gufcfan
23/01/2008, 1:02 AM
He's brilliant.

P-O-T-Week

soccerc
23/01/2008, 1:37 AM
Glenn scored 2 magnificent headers against Lille in Lansdowne road to earn a 2-2 draw that Shels scarcely deserved in the UEFA cup a few years ago. They were really superb.

Also scored for Shamrock Rovers in the home leg of their Intertoto Cup win over Odra way back in 2003

Steve Bruce
23/01/2008, 8:08 AM
Will probably end up top scorer in the IL.

Highly unlikely. We might not have the same strength in depth in the IL. But there are still good quality players in our league and many would easily make it in the Eircom League level.

Aww well, what else can you expect from a pig but a grunt ;)

Navandrog
23/01/2008, 11:10 AM
Getting rid of Fitz was the best bit of business Drogheda done last season, 10k and we brought Bates in 4 nothing:D:D. I would have paid someone 10k to take him away and get him off our wages:D

pineapple stu
23/01/2008, 4:17 PM
Typical Drogheda attitude to money. ;)

green army
23/01/2008, 7:12 PM
please sign him.

Den Perry
23/01/2008, 9:56 PM
In fact he started his career poorly with UCD, continued it poorly with Athlone and somehow did quite well with Rovers and has gone back downhill since.

I used to watch him with UCD first team and U21's and have always held him in high regard. Great feet but not prolific. BTW where is he from? is it out coolock way?

DmanDmythDledge
23/01/2008, 10:03 PM
BTW where is he from? is it out coolock way?
No, southside somewhere. Went to school in Kilmacud.

DRDoc
23/01/2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah a lot of what has been said here is pretty accurate

However there wasa time when he was a regular at drogs and practically every attack went through him - the ball would be played up to him from midfield or advanced defence and he would control it, take it in, lay it off, bring others into the game - and i dont think anyone will deny the fact that he is very good at this.

I read somewhere someone using the word "fulcrum" to descibe his role - and that was very accurate

He is better with his back to goal than he is any other way

One thing not mentioned by anyone on here is that to me, when he was at drogs and now pats, he has never looked happy on the field - i mean he seems to get very pi$$ed off with himself when something doesnt come off for him - as if he knows full well he can do better but that for some reason things and his career havent gone his way

Dr.Nightdub
23/01/2008, 10:57 PM
Could he do a job for the Glens?

Give him a kettle and I'm sure he'd make a smashing pot of tea.

DvB
24/01/2008, 8:01 AM
Give him a kettle and I'm sure he'd make a smashing pot of tea.

Probably soak the floor though!

Steve Bruce
24/01/2008, 8:40 AM
Probably soak the floor though!

By missing the cup:o

Sniffer
24/01/2008, 12:10 PM
And he will continue to miss the cup if he stays at Pats:)

Raheny Red
24/01/2008, 1:30 PM

Love it :D

Steve Bruce
24/01/2008, 2:00 PM

Or goes to the Glens for that matter:D

Sniffer
24/01/2008, 2:39 PM
A seamless handover of the baton:D