PDA

View Full Version : Premiership games in Landsdowne?

Noelys Guitar
19/01/2008, 11:45 AM
ESPN who are very likely to win the worldwide television rights for the Premiership from 2009 onwards want each Premiership team to play at least one game abroad each season. It says on the BBC website it is Premiership chiefs who are driving this but I read about this proposal a few weeks ago on the ESPN site.

Premier League chiefs are discussing plans for each club to play one game a season abroad when the international television contract comes up for grabs in 2010 (Mirror).

Bristol City for Landsdowne?

gaiscíoch
19/01/2008, 12:49 PM
Oh god wait till the LOI fans get hold of this.

osarusan
19/01/2008, 1:21 PM
The idea behind playing games abroad is usually to get more exposure in areas where the sport isn't so popular, isn't it?

Ireland must be close to saturation point regarding the Premier League.

shakermaker1982
19/01/2008, 1:45 PM
imagine if you are a season ticket holder for Bolton, Wigan or whoever and then ESPN/SKY tell your club that one of the home games will be played in Dublin/New York/Delhi or wherever........I wouldn't be too happy that's for sure. So what if the NFL have a roadshow - doesn't mean it will work in other sports. Crazy.

Soper
19/01/2008, 1:46 PM
Oh god wait till the LOI fans get hold of this.

I don't understand what you are getting at?

Dodge
19/01/2008, 2:30 PM
imagine if you are a season ticket holder for Bolton, Wigan or whoever and then ESPN/SKY tell your club that one of the home games will be played in Dublin/New York/Delhi or wherever........I wouldn't be too happy that's for sure. So what if the NFL have a roadshow - doesn't mean it will work in other sports. Crazy.

Just crazy enough to make them millions...

It won't be in Dublin anyway. It'll be in US and far east.

Of course I don't think it'll happen but I've no dount they've all thought of it

willymccann
21/01/2008, 12:47 PM
I'd agree with shakermaker on this, you'd be ****ed off at a home game being played abroad, like would you get a discount on your season ticket?

But when it comes down to it, it's all about money, sure Man United are playing a friendly tonight in Dubai, which is a bit ridicolous in my opinion, but money talks. It was also listed in one of the tabloids yesterday, either the Mirror or the News Of The World, saying that they'd expect it to be pushed as a major marketing idea over the next few years.

But if that's the case, the only teams to make money out of it would probably be the top 4-6, after that the interest in the games would probably drop.

But from a marketing point of view, the Premiership could make a killing, with countries trying to outbid each other to get the top teams to come over and play, like the Man United match tonight, I think their getting £1 million for it.

Steve Bruce
21/01/2008, 3:46 PM
Could you imagine how bad it could be though if the major matches like Manchester United Liverpool, Arsenal Spurs, Chelsea Man Utd, Liverpool Chelsea etc etc be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

I could see it now. Live from the maracana stadium, Brazil in front of 4 million fans inside the stadium and 3 billion around the world we give you MANCHESTER UNITED vs LIVERPOOL FC.

Yes they will make a mint, but it is hardly good for the game to detach the match from its fans.

shakermaker1982
21/01/2008, 3:59 PM
Could you imagine how bad it could be though if the major matches like Manchester United Liverpool, Arsenal Spurs, Chelsea Man Utd, Liverpool Chelsea etc etc be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

I could see it now. Live from the maracana stadium, Brazil in front of 4 million fans inside the stadium and 3 billion around the world we give you MANCHESTER UNITED vs LIVERPOOL FC.

Yes they will make a mint, but it is hardly good for the game to detach the match from its fans.

as I say it's crazy. I'd love to see a Barcelona game but I don't expect them to come and play in my back garden. If I'm that interested in the team I'll book a holiday to Spain and one of the stops would be the Nou Camp. This is something I'm planning to do this March. Going to the teams ground and mixing it up with the locals is part of the experience IMO. This is just a sell out and cheapens the sport of football. Pre season friendlies and exhibition is fine, Mid season league games? At the expense of the local and regular fan who has kept his club going all these years by buying a season ticket and the merchanise? Not on. The sport of football has survived without America and if they don't get it then who cares?!

Block G Raptor
22/01/2008, 9:49 AM
as I say it's crazy. I'd love to see a Barcelona game but I don't expect them to come and play in my back garden. If I'm that interested in the team I'll book a holiday to Spain and one of the stops would be the Nou Camp. This is something I'm planning to do this March. Going to the teams ground and mixing it up with the locals is part of the experience IMO. This is just a sell out and cheapens the sport of football. Pre season friendlies and exhibition is fine, Mid season league games? At the expense of the local and regular fan who has kept his club going all these years by buying a season ticket and the merchandise? Not on. The sport of football has survived without America and if they don't get it then who cares?!

The American Influence in European football is disastrous, Gillett and Hicks at Liverpool Glazier at Man U and Now ESPN(American TV)come up with this? Sport in America has none of the romance or passion of football in Europe, (look at how easily baseball and NFL teams uproot to new locations willy nilly)
and they have no concept of the whole community club thing. everything to them is a franchise and money is their prime motivation. doesn't bear well for the future of the game IMO

KevB76
22/01/2008, 5:24 PM
The American Influence in European football is disastrous, Gillett and Hicks at Liverpool Glazier at Man U and Now ESPN(American TV)come up with this? Sport in America has none of the romance or passion of football in Europe, (look at how easily baseball and NFL teams uproot to new locations willy nilly)
and they have no concept of the whole community club thing. everything to them is a franchise and money is their prime motivation. doesn't bear well for the future of the game IMO

I dont think you'll find much objection to the American influence in European football down around our way at the moment :D

Sligo Hornet
23/01/2008, 8:02 AM
As a Watford season ticket holder, I can't wait......can just see it now, Watford v Bolton in Kuala Lumpur on a Tuesday night......bound to bring in amassive TV audience:D

GavinZac
23/01/2008, 8:19 AM
Thats ok, by that time while Wigan are playing Reading in Lansdowne, later that week we'll be playing Milan in Bishopstown.

Block G Raptor
23/01/2008, 8:23 AM
I dont think you'll find much objection to the American influence in European football down around our way at the moment :D

Horses for courses my friend,(although a bit of American razamataz could be good for this league to get the barstoolers attention) dont think your american is in it to make a quick buck and I don't see Limerick 37 -v- Sporting Fingal in the Astrodome Bangkok anytime soon

GavinZac
23/01/2008, 8:25 AM
Horses for courses my friend,(although a bit of American razamataz could be good for this league to get the barstoolers attention) dont think your american is in it to make a quick buck and I don't see Limerick 37 -v- Sporting Fingal in the Astrodome Bangkok anytime soon
ah they'd fill it alright

http://www.sgtowns.com/photos/images/angkorday2/hut.jpg

superfrank
23/01/2008, 11:30 AM
I'd say they might start off with some kind of small gesture, maybe playing the Charity Shield in the Far East or the States. I doubt they'll end up sending teams off to play on the other side of the world.

One interesting point, in the 2004/05 or 2005/06 the Premiership match with the highest viewing all around the world was......Manchester City vs. Everton. Apparently a lot of Chinese tuned in to see Sun Jiayi and Li Tie playing.

Noelys Guitar
07/02/2008, 12:25 PM
I'd say they might start off with some kind of small gesture, maybe playing the Charity Shield in the Far East or the States. I doubt they'll end up sending teams off to play on the other side of the world.

One interesting point, in the 2004/05 or 2005/06 the Premiership match with the highest viewing all around the world was......Manchester City vs. Everton. Apparently a lot of Chinese tuned in to see Sun Jiayi and Li Tie playing.

2 games a weekend at the same venue.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7232390.stm

superfrank
07/02/2008, 12:29 PM
I was just about to post that link myself!

It seems to me like a stupid footballing decision. Teams have to jet off around the world to play one extra game against a side they've already played home and away that season just to make more money for the Premier League. It's squeezing out the real, local fans.

Tenderloins
07/02/2008, 12:46 PM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2254032,00.html

Guardian have a take on it too.

Theres Going to be some bidding war for these games.

Monkfish
07/02/2008, 3:41 PM
More of a football365 man myself.
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3117069,00.html

Noelys Guitar
07/02/2008, 4:50 PM
39 games a season with one game played abroad will lead to 40/41/42 games with 2/3/4 games played abroad. I fully expect an all Ireland league to draw a large worldwide TV audience in the not too distant future and can forsee Eircom league games being abroad when a big enough audience has been created. Don't agree with this happening as it will eventually damage the game.

OwlsFan
08/02/2008, 12:16 PM
I see Roy Keane is in favour of it (after he was spoken to by Quinn and the Sunderland Chief Executive (i.e. "there's lots of money in it for us").

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/02/08/ufnpremreact108.xml

osarusan
08/02/2008, 3:43 PM
I fully expect an all Ireland league to draw a large worldwide TV audience in the not too distant future and can forsee Eircom league games being abroad when a big enough audience has been created.

What in God's name are you talking about? We cant get more than a small percentage of Irish people interested in domestic football, so I don't know that people in any other country will be too keen either.

renovater
08/02/2008, 8:17 PM
think its a great idea for the premier league to play one league game here, for the thousands of supporter's that travel each year across the pond.
:)I would hope that should it happen that monies that would be raised would go to support our own game. If this was done then it positive.:ball:

sligoman
08/02/2008, 8:19 PM
An absolute joke if the EPL play a game away from England. FFS like, worst idea I've ever heard for a league. It's a English league so they should all be played in England.

deecay
08/02/2008, 9:43 PM
No Al Calcio Moderno !

pineapple stu
09/02/2008, 3:02 PM
Quote from Platini on the BBC website -

In England, you already have no English coach, no English players and maybe now you will have no clubs playing in England. It's a joke.

Miaow!

Red Army
10/02/2008, 1:31 PM
No to modern football

OwlsFan
13/02/2008, 12:12 PM
Asian bloc to fight Premier League 'colonialism'.

The Premier League's controversial 'international round' project was dealt another major blow yesterday when the powerful head of the Asian Football Confederation spelt out his opposition to the proposal and appealed to his member nations to reject it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/02/13/sfnbon113.xml

So it's not just the Eircom League fans who don't like the idea ;)

sligoman
13/02/2008, 2:52 PM
"We said when this issue first arose that FFA's overwhelming priority is to promote the Hyundai A-League and continue to invest in, and grow the game in Australia. That remains our view" Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy.

If Delaney & the FAI had any balls, they'd come out with the same statement in relation to the LOI. Not a hope of that happening, a proper FA would though. Bertie would have a heart attack if the FAI stopped the Premiership coming over here:rolleyes:.

Mayo_Bhoy
13/02/2008, 3:51 PM
If Delaney & the FAI had any balls, they'd come out with the same statement in relation to the LOI. Not a hope of that happening, a proper FA would though. Bertie would have a heart attack if the FAI stopped the Premiership coming over here:rolleyes:.

FFS, typical FAI bashing just for the sake of it. Why do they need to say anything as there has been no mention of Dublin as a possible venue and anyone that has a clue about what the EPl proposal is about would know that.:rolleyes:

sligoman
13/02/2008, 3:58 PM
anyone that has a clue about what the EPl proposal is about would know that.:rolleyes:Forgive me for not fully knowning about a foreign league's proposal.

There has been mention of Dublin, therefore the FAI should say something.

Mayo_Bhoy
13/02/2008, 4:55 PM
Forgive me for not fully knowning about a foreign league's proposal.

Well, if you dont know about it why use it to have a go at the FAI??? Do you not follow European football news and developments???

Mayo_Bhoy
13/02/2008, 4:57 PM
Forgive me for not fully knowning about a foreign league's proposal.

Who mentioned Dublin then?

sligoman
13/02/2008, 5:16 PM
Do you not follow European football news and developments???Sometimes if it's of interest, but I tend to focus on the league of Ireland, as I'm Irish.
Who mentioned Dublin then?People on this thread for a start. The English FA said they might be playing abroad, abroad could be Ireland as much as anywhere else so I think the FAI should come out and let them know it's not an option even before they say if they're considering Ireland, like the Aussies have done.

Mayo_Bhoy
13/02/2008, 5:32 PM
Sometimes if it's of interest, but I tend to focus on the league of Ireland, as I'm Irish.

Yes, as do i, but surely you pay attention to what's happening in the Uk as the EPL and SPL are probably the main threats to the LOI in terms of investment and support etc or are you too insular to even consider that??

People on this thread for a start. The English FA said they might be playing abroad, abroad could be Ireland as much as anywhere else so I think the FAI should come out and let them know it's not an option even before they say if they're considering Ireland, like the Aussies have done.

Ireland was never mentioned in any of the EPL statements whereas Australia was.

GavinZac
14/02/2008, 8:49 AM
Yes, as do i, but surely you pay attention to what's happening in the Uk as the EPL and SPL are probably the main threats to the LOI in terms of investment and support etc or are you too insular to even consider that??why would someone watch something because its a threat to what they care about :confused: also, its not so much a threat, as the giant foot standing on its neck

Ireland was never mentioned in any of the EPL statements whereas Australia was.

Lim till i die
14/02/2008, 3:52 PM
worst idea I've ever heard for a league.

You are obviously unfamiliar with the Pat Grace Southern Fried Chicken league. ;) :)

jebus
14/02/2008, 3:55 PM
Did you just type your signature out? :eek:

You are obviously unfamiliar with the Pat Grace Southern Fried Chicken league.

:D :D

Mayo_Bhoy
15/02/2008, 5:36 PM
Did you just type your signature out? :eek:

I haven't a clue where that came from:confused: