PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to see you go

Bluebeard
18/01/2008, 11:54 AM
Can I offer my condolences to the fans of Kilkenny. We very nearly went a couple of seasons ago. I much enjoyed my trips to Buckley Park in my youth - they were the first away games I went to. Tried to get to a game last season when I was down in Kilkenny a few weekends, but the unfortunately weekends never clashed.

The league will be a lesser place for your loss.

Risteard
18/01/2008, 1:03 PM
Are they joining the A league?

L37Ultra
18/01/2008, 1:11 PM
Are they joining the A league?

Dont think so, it says in the Irish Independent, that they are gone from senior soccer altogether. Sad day:(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mathews-confirms-new-base-progress-1268402.html (last paragraph)

ramsfan
18/01/2008, 1:16 PM
sorry to hear it lads, absolute shame

rambler14
18/01/2008, 2:06 PM
RIP Kilkenny soccer

Rocky77
18/01/2008, 2:07 PM
I hope to God ye'll be back. Jim Rhatigan is an absolute gent.

Magicme
18/01/2008, 2:09 PM
My sympathies to the KC fans.

Bondvillain
18/01/2008, 2:12 PM
Disappointing.

John83
18/01/2008, 2:19 PM
I have fond memories of Buckley Park. I'm sorry to see Kilkenny go.

L37Ultra
18/01/2008, 2:29 PM
Following much discussion and soul searching it is the opinion of those closest to Kilkenny City Football Club that the club should resign its membership of the Eircom League of Ireland due to lack of finance and inadequate support.

We have battled hard over the years to win the hearts and minds of the local people but sadly, due to lack of finance, poor results and paltry attendances, we have to admit that there is not an appetite for senior soccer at this moment in our city and county.

We believe that we are taking the correct decision in the best interests of Kilkenny City FC and the game of soccer.

We thank those who have supported us since our election to the League of Ireland in 1985 and if circumstances change we will consider reapplying for membership of the League in the future.

The Board of Kilkenny City FC would also like to express its thanks to the FAI for its support and advice over the years and will shortly engage in discussions with them regarding the future path of Kilkenny City Football Club.

In the short-term our energies will be channeled into the organisation of next month’s U17 international between the Republic of Ireland and Finland at our Buckley Park grounds and we look forward to being considered for more games of this type in the future.

Denis The Red
18/01/2008, 2:40 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news, hope you'll be back.
Let's hope we(L37) don't go the same way. Let's see you all at Jackman Park next season.

KevB76
18/01/2008, 5:58 PM
Really sorry to lose ye lads.

My first ever LOI match was LimerickFC v Kilkenny, hope thats not some sort of omen !

Actually now I think about it, they're both gone :eek:

Any news on whether you will be in the A-Championship ?

Lim till i die
18/01/2008, 6:08 PM
RIP

Another one of SLKs old FAI hitlist bites the dust :(

oldyouth
18/01/2008, 8:33 PM
It is a shame. If the core supporters keep going along to matches in the county, at any level, then perhaps we will see a KK team again. Not fashionable I know, but the team I support in England have a motto of MOT (Marching On Together)
See you soon

Lionel Ritchie
18/01/2008, 10:58 PM
gutted to hear about Kilkenny City.

Well done for keeping it going as long as ye did.

A sorry shameful loss to the league and to football in this country.

Rams-07
19/01/2008, 12:47 PM
Sad day for Kilkenny ..Just hope its not the start of things to come..rumour has it that a few more clubs in financial trouble as well..sign of the time I suppose

carrickharp
19/01/2008, 12:56 PM
Very sad to hear this:(

Sonic
19/01/2008, 2:12 PM
Chin up to the stalwarts in kilkenny who have bothered tio support the cause there. As for the rest of the city shame on you. The club could easily have thrived in a relatively highly populated area. Its not that long ago they were in the premier division either. Sad news!!

Keen2win
19/01/2008, 2:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear this news:(

sadloserkid
20/01/2008, 11:28 AM
Really disappointed to see them go but they've been trying to hold back the sea with a bucket for a while now and I think it was almost inevitable. Extra hard to stomach because it looked like they had the chance to turn a corner when they were going well under Scully and started drawing comparatively larger crowds but they dwindled away again. I've good memories of the place and would hope to see them return in some guise in the future. Won't hold my breath though.

Also LTID I knew I should have added Galway to that list. ;)

gufcfan
22/01/2008, 7:35 PM
Not fashionable I know, but the team I support in England have a motto of MOT (Marching On Together)
See you soon

Indeed, Leeds are not fashionable...

gufcfan
22/01/2008, 7:41 PM
For a club that was only in existence for just over 20 years, the very fact that they managed to reach the top tier of irish soccer, twice, is an achievement in itself.

Kilkenny City is a huge loss to the league and i can only hope that we will see them in the future.

paudie
28/01/2008, 4:30 PM
We had a good night at Buckley Park (and in Langtons afterwards) about 10 years ago at a Cork City game.

Always thought the development of Buckley PArk was a great example of how small clubs in the EL should do things.

Too bad it didn't work out. Hope that Kilkenny make it back into the league sooner rather than later.

pineapple stu
28/01/2008, 5:01 PM
For a club that was only in existence for just over 20 years
Founded 1966.