PDA

View Full Version : away games on setanta

shakermaker1982
17/01/2008, 1:59 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/away-games--on-setanta-1267623.html

Apologies if this has mentioned elsewhere, I couldn't find it on here and thought it was an interesting development. Means the 9.99 a month I currently pay is even better value. The Italian away match rights is still to be decided. Setanta have also nabbed England and Norn Iron's away fixtures and seem to be making inroads into the pay per view arena (excellent boxing coverage as well).

galwayhoop
17/01/2008, 2:05 PM
Setanta really have made serious inroads into the football coverage in recent seasons. witness Sky showing conference or league 2 games as their monday night offering for further proof!! no harm either for a bit of competition

lionelhutz
17/01/2008, 2:13 PM
Do RTE have all the home games?? Are the away games on Setanta Ireland, i.e. the free one, or do we have to subscribe to see them??

Paddy Garcia
17/01/2008, 2:21 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/away-games--on-setanta-1267623.html

Apologies if this has mentioned elsewhere, I couldn't find it on here and thought it was an interesting development. Means the 9.99 a month I currently pay is even better value. The Italian away match rights is still to be decided. Setanta have also napped England and Norn Iron's away fixtures and seem to be making inroads into the pay per view arena (excellent boxing coverage as well).

Is it Setanta 1 or Setanta Ireland?

CJTheGull
17/01/2008, 2:46 PM
It will be on Setanta 1 which is their pay-per-view channel so if you rae not a subscriber then you'll have to be going down the local (any excuse says you's) :rolleyes:

Paddy Garcia
17/01/2008, 2:50 PM
Excellent, I've got that.

Stuttgart88
17/01/2008, 2:55 PM
Not TV3. Good omen?

geysir
17/01/2008, 3:22 PM
:D:D

I hope the away games are on Sky, Setanta´s satellite reception quality is the worst on the skybox. They must still have the "wet time" tradition.

galwayhoop
17/01/2008, 3:23 PM
Not TV3. Good omen?

not so quick. the rights for the italy game are yet to be decided :(

Stuttgart88
17/01/2008, 3:31 PM
I think we'll need more than good omens in that one.

gordongekko
17/01/2008, 6:31 PM
i think all games must be shown fta so the away games are likely to be on tv3.

tetsujin1979
17/01/2008, 6:37 PM
AFAIK it's only home games that have to be Free To Air, away games are organised on a game by game basis with the local network that's showing the game.

gordongekko
17/01/2008, 6:41 PM
tv3 and setanta are owned by the same company so it is very likely that a deal between the two will be done

Ceirtlis
17/01/2008, 9:56 PM
Setanta really have made serious inroads into the football coverage in recent seasons. witness Sky showing conference or league 2 games as their monday night offering for further proof!! no harm either for a bit of competition

Its setanta that does the conference. I think the eu forced the premier league to split the rights for the live games this year which in theory is to stop a monopoly but actually works out worse for the viewer as there are now two subs to pay.
Anyways this is a balls. Give me free to air tv3 anyday over this.

theworm2345
17/01/2008, 10:34 PM
On Setanta USA as well? They aren't going to show them on 24 hour delay are they? :(

irishfan86
17/01/2008, 10:37 PM
On Setanta USA as well? They aren't going to show them on 24 hour delay are they? :(

Setanta Canada is worse, one time I had to wait a couple of days to see an Ireland match.

billybunter
18/01/2008, 12:34 AM
Setanta can go fcuk themselves. They should change the name of the company to the 'three lions" - all they do is cater to the english. I drove an hour (not all up hill, nor in the snow by the way) to a bar that had advertised they were showing Ireland v Germany . When i got there, i was informed setanta had made the decision to show it tape delay 3 hours later (the bar was still asking for the $20 admission fee!) Shower of pure sell out ba$tards. When i e-mailed their service dept a few days later, I got this reponse:
*Which was incorrect cos Ireland could have 'mathematically qualified" at that stage.

[I]From: Setanta Sports (customerservice-usa@setanta.com)
Sent: Tue 10/16/07 2:51 AM
To:
The Ireland match on Saturday was not scheduled to go out live due to the fact that it clashed with a RWC match and also that unfortunately, there was no mathematical chance of Ireland qualifying. If you check the schedule on our website, www.setanta.com, you can get the most accurate scheduling info there.

The PPV companies do not like to pick up any games except England ones, generally, as they do not see them generating revenue. Right now, your best bet is to continue to go to the bar, because there is no good alternative to see the games live. Sorry about your experience.

unles you live in Boston, NY or some other large irish town, you are not relevant to these money grabbing pr**ks.

theworm2345
18/01/2008, 1:19 AM
Setanta Canada is worse, one time I had to wait a couple of days to see an Ireland match.
Same here, its generally 24 hours though
To be fair to them they have vastly upgraded their product since I first signed on to watch the CCC playoff final that saw West Ham go up a few years back. I can't complain especially at the price they offer. Hell when we requested that they show an Ireland game from the archive they did...even if it may have been a friendly against Portugal from 2005

irishfan86
18/01/2008, 1:20 AM
Same here, its generally 24 hours though

Yeah, I was just whining about the worst example, we probably get a fairly similar schedule.