PDA

View Full Version : New boss Mathews looking forward to bright future in Cork

yiddo
17/01/2008, 8:52 AM
From today's Examiner

New boss Mathews looking forward to bright future in Cork

By John Riordan
Any player that joins Cork City will have to “live and breathe” the club, according to Alan Mathews who was officially unveiled as the new manager of the Rebel Army yesterday.

It was all very jovial at Cork’s Beamish House yesterday afternoon but the new incumbent at the FAI Cup holders claimed he was fully aware of the pressure with his new job.

“This is a different league and a different level to anything I’ve been involved with before,” said the former Longford boss. “But it’s a place I’ve always wanted to be. I’ll be fully committed and I’m going to relocate immediately and move down here.

“Professional football is on the up in this country and it’s quite apparent that the league is being pushed forward by some good industrial and business acumen. I think it’s only a matter of time before there will be an All-Ireland league and I hope we’ll be at the forefront of that.”

Mathews confirmed that former Irish international Paul McGee would take the role as his assistant, saying of the Sligo-born ex-QPR man: “He has completed all his badges and is a vastly-experienced football man. He’s been involved in the professional game almost his whole career. I know him well and I’m happy that he’s coming in.”

As for new playing staff, Mathews claimed he was looking on both sides of the Irish Sea to bolster a squad that he says is healthy but in need of depth. The much-touted return of George O’Callaghan seems closer with his current club apparently open to letting the midfielder switch clubs if he should so wish.

“Ipswich Town have advised him that he can move on,” said Mathews. “He has a number of options in Britain. I met his agent again yesterday and we’ll be hopeful that we can put together a package for him that will attract him back home.

“He has options with Brighton and Nottingham Forest. I know Bohs are involved and possibly St Pats as well.”

As for his former player at Longford, Dave Mooney, the new Cork boss is still holding out hopes of recruiting the league’s top goalscorer in 2007.

“His plan was to go to Britain but that hasn’t materialised,” said Mathews yesterday. “There will be a fee in the region of €20,000. Hopefully he’ll come but if he doesn’t want to, then that’s fine.

“I want players who will be totally committed to playing and living in the area here. We’re trying to sell that sort of dynamic here: that we’re professional and that any potential player will become part of the fabric of the club.

“Ultimately I’m here to win the league. I don’t think that would have been possible at Longford and having worked there on a part-time basis in name only, I’m hungry for this challenge.”

Mathews said he was ready for any potential supporter backlash should things not go the club’s way on the pitch.

“Supporters are the lifeblood of the club. What I need to make sure is that when people come in on a Friday after a week at work, they are going to be entertained.

“And if they have an opinion, they’re well entitled to voice that. I know what will be expected of me I have one objective: to win a championship. That’s what drives me. I’ll be judged straight away on results.”

Mathews will attend today’s Setanta Cup draw and will begin his first day training with Cork City squad tomorrow morning.