PDA

View Full Version : Duff to improve with Keegan?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tetsujin1979
16/01/2008, 3:36 PM
With Keegan, and his defending-be-damned approach to football, back in situ at Newcastle, will this see a return to the pre-Mourinho version of Damien Duff, or have the succession of injuries taken too toll on his pace, and overall game?

Let's not forget, Finnan and Dunne both improved massively while working under Keegan.

shakermaker1982
16/01/2008, 3:37 PM
the only way is up for Duffer - unless he gets injured tomorrow by walking into a door!!! I reckon Given is gonna be even busier than normal with Kevin 'I don't do defence' Keegan!!! :)

boovidge
16/01/2008, 3:53 PM
I don't think any one man will make a difference. What he needs is a long run without injury to get back to full sharpness. I doubt he'll ever be quite the same player that we saw in 2002 though.

Noelys Guitar
16/01/2008, 5:33 PM
Has Keegan resigned yet?

irishfan86
16/01/2008, 5:43 PM
I'm happy with this move.

Duff has played under defensive coaches for too long, and hopefully this will see him become an offensive force again.

The man needs some serious sprint training though. There's no doubting his ability, but if he can build the speed up again to take on people 1 on 1 he's got a great chance of touching that world-class status once again.

eirebhoy
16/01/2008, 5:56 PM
Ironically it's his Ireland performances that give me most belief, despite people saying he hasn't performed for us in a long time. He set up our 2 goals in Cyprus. He would have set up another 2 goals in a crucial win against the Czechs if Keane finished at the depth. :( He played well in that game. Then his last 2 games, against Wales and Slovakia he was excellent. And the Sweden game was probably his best performance under Stan.

If it wasn't for those performances I'd have given up all hope of him regaining form.

irishfan86
16/01/2008, 6:05 PM
Ironically it's his Ireland performances that give me most belief, despite people saying he hasn't performed for us in a long time. He set up our 2 goals in Cyprus. He would have set up another 2 goals in a crucial win against the Czechs if Keane finished at the depth. :( He played well in that game. Then his last 2 games, against Wales and Slovakia he was excellent. And the Sweden game was probably his best performance under Stan.

If it wasn't for those performances I'd have given up all hope of him regaining form.

I'd generally agree with that.

I think his performances for Ireland may be aided by the fact that pace isn't as vital at international level as it is in the Premiership.

tricky_colour
16/01/2008, 7:01 PM
Looks like the FAI have missed out big time here.

Irish_Praha
16/01/2008, 7:38 PM
Looks like the FAI have missed out big time here.

Is that supposed to be funny?:confused:

stojkovic
16/01/2008, 7:39 PM
Has Keegan resigned yet?

:D:D:D

eirebhoy
16/01/2008, 8:32 PM
Duff just scored Newcastle's 4th.

Rebel11
16/01/2008, 8:35 PM
The Duffer just scored in the Cup.

If we are to make it to South Africa we need him back to he's best and injury free for the hole campaign. He is the best we have on form

boovidge
16/01/2008, 8:35 PM
Duff just scored Newcastle's 4th.

any good?

tricky_colour
16/01/2008, 8:49 PM
Is that supposed to be funny?:confused:

Only time will tell ;)

Not a bad start though.

Irish_Praha
16/01/2008, 8:51 PM
any good?

Short description on sportinglife.com clockwatch:

Charles N'Zogbia plays Damien Duff through one-on-one with Simonsen in the Stoke goal. The Republic of Ireland international slots the ball home and Newcastle have a 4-0 lead.

So he did what would be expected from a good attacking player at the highest level.

Good to see him score anyway, maybe this thread was bang on the money?

tetsujin1979
16/01/2008, 8:52 PM
Liam Lawrence got the late consolation goal for Stoke

Irish_Praha
16/01/2008, 9:07 PM
Liam Lawrence got the late consolation goal for Stoke

On current form he deserves to be in the squad at least. If Duff is earmarked for LMF One could argue that we have Miller, the two Reids, Ireland and McGeady capable of playing wide right but IMO apart from McGeady (when he's on form) none of those 5 look like that is their preferred position. All tend to drift into the middle. I think in a rigid 4-4-2, where an out and out right winger is needed Lawrence would be at least in the top 2 available to us.

eirebhoy
16/01/2008, 9:08 PM
A couple of comments from a Newcastle forum.

- Apparently Duff was top notch today. Might finally see the real Damien Duff.

- N'Zogbia in a Keegan team is a real mouth-watering prospect, can't wait.
-- Duff as well. We'll see what he's really worth.

rambler14
16/01/2008, 9:25 PM
He seems to have come back a new player. Good goal tonight too.

drummerboy
16/01/2008, 9:33 PM
Duff needs games. If he can string another 5 or 6 I think you will see a him performing a to a higher standard.

tricky_colour
16/01/2008, 9:51 PM
any good?

It was a fairly simple goal in the end but what impressed me was Duff's pace, burst through the centre leaving everyone else for dead then slotted past the keeper. Can't say much for the defence though.

Can't remember the last time Duff scored, I will have to contact Time Team to see if they can put a date on it.

tricky_colour
16/01/2008, 9:57 PM
I'm happy with this move.

Duff has played under defensive coaches for too long, and hopefully this will see him become an offensive force again.

The man needs some serious sprint training though. There's no doubting his ability, but if he can build the speed up again to take on people 1 on 1 he's got a great chance of touching that world-class status once again.

Only just read that comment, but I thougt he showed some serious pace for the goal, seemed to out pace everyone with comparative ease.

eirebhoy
16/01/2008, 10:25 PM
Given captained Newcastle tonight. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps it.

tetsujin1979
16/01/2008, 10:39 PM
Can't remember the last time Duff scored, I will have to contact Time Team to see if they can put a date on it.
From http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/playerDetails.xquery?playerID=10515&seasonID=136
it was the 17th September 2006 VS West Ham away
so 16 months, almost to the day

dr_peepee
17/01/2008, 7:29 AM
A couple of comments from a Newcastle forum.

- Apparently Duff was top notch today. Might finally see the real Damien Duff.

- N'Zogbia in a Keegan team is a real mouth-watering prospect, can't wait.
-- Duff as well. We'll see what he's really worth.

N'Zogbia is a left winger as well isn't he??

Wolfie
17/01/2008, 7:41 AM
With Keegan, and his defending-be-damned approach to football, back in situ at Newcastle, will this see a return to the pre-Mourinho version of Damien Duff, or have the succession of injuries taken too toll on his pace, and overall game?

Let's not forget, Finnan and Dunne both improved massively while working under Keegan.

We're obviously all thinking the same thing as I posted something similar on the World Football thread.

A resurgent Damien Duff would do Ireland no harm at all.

eirebhoy
17/01/2008, 8:05 AM
N'Zogbia is a left winger as well isn't he??
That's probably his best position but he played mainly at left back for Allerdyce and played central midfield yesterday.

Stuttgart88
17/01/2008, 8:07 AM
and was very good in CM according to the radio. Duff had a great first half by all accounts.

tetsujin1979
17/01/2008, 9:33 AM
and was very good in CM according to the radio. Duff had a great first half by all accounts.
He laid in a great cross for the opening goal, his goal was from a 3 on 2 situation, ending in Duff 1-on-1 with the keeper. Cool finish too.
Lawrence's goal was the best one of the night though, shot from the just outside the corner of the area, looping over Given into the far corner

galwayhoop
17/01/2008, 10:16 AM
would be great to see the Duffer with a spring in his step waltzing through EPL defenses. Especially with, as was said above, Keegan's apparent blaisé attitude to defending

Dr. Ogba
17/01/2008, 11:24 AM
Duffer's goal was a very cool finish to the keeper's left but Lawrence's was an absolute beauty, cut in from the left and curled in a lovely shot in to the top corner...Given no chance.

Hope to see more from Duff now with the combination of more games under his belt and a more attack-minded manager...

tetsujin1979
02/02/2008, 2:31 PM
Duff: Keegan knows my strengths: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3103187,00.html

RivaldoBabb
03/02/2008, 11:14 AM
Duff has always played well for Ireland, he was our best player in the 2 games we had at Croker last year before he got injured. He has nothing to prove to Irish fans and he certainly doesnt need Kevin Keegan to improve.

eirebhoy
03/02/2008, 12:48 PM
He's certainly been our best player since the '02 world cup, bar Given.

I have today's match on in another room and just heard that he beat 2 tackles through cheers of the crowd. It's been a long time since I heard that. :D

geysir
03/02/2008, 1:38 PM
I hope your guests didn't spill anything in the excitement.

eirebhoy
03/02/2008, 1:41 PM
I hope your guests didn't spill anything in the excitement.
:)

Anyway, from what I've watched he's the best player on the pitch.

tetsujin1979
03/02/2008, 2:00 PM
Had a goal disallowed for offside, looks the right decision

tricky_colour
17/03/2008, 9:22 PM
Not even on bench for Newcastle and apparently not injured either.

kennedmc
17/03/2008, 9:39 PM
Keegan dropped him. Has he done anything in recent games?

Duff must be very disappointed. He went to Newcastle for the handy number and the large wage packet; the least they could do is play him in every bloody game.

kennedmc
17/03/2008, 9:45 PM
A better heading would be "wingers dropped".

Keegan went 4-3-3 with no width because Milner was out so there was nobody to take the right wing. He wasn't on the bench because N'Zogbia was there who can play in many more positions than Duff and also Left wing so is a better bench player.

I though it was 442 - Martins played left midfield.
You can play with 1 winger and 1 midfielder tucked in.

finnpark
17/03/2008, 10:08 PM
Not even on bench for Newcastle and apparently not injured either.

Its not surprising really. I would imagine that he will get a move to the Championship or League One if Newcastle stay up?

I still think that he will make the Ireland squad although he doesn't deserve it. Hopefully this opens the door up for Hunty. About time too :)

irishfan86
18/03/2008, 4:14 AM
Surprised this hasn't happened sooner to be honest.

I think he's still worth a spot in a team with a good header of the ball up front because of his crossing ability, but without that key ingredient he doesn't have as much use as he once did.

His mobility has been greatly reduced, and it's not been replaced with any great brawn.

He's slow, not particularly strong, and has never had an incredibly powerful shot.

All he has is his cross, and with Ireland's lack of height up front, his use to us is negligible.

At this point I'd rather have Hunt and McGeady start for us to be honest.

I hope Duff recovers but what I've seen with him since his comeback has not been inspiring.

theworm2345
18/03/2008, 4:41 AM
Hasn't really been the same since the World Cup, at least in my opinion. He has had a few bright spots here and there though

irishfan86
18/03/2008, 4:49 AM
Hasn't really been the same since the World Cup, at least in my opinion. He has had a few bright spots here and there though

His first season with Chelsea was good, and then I think the slide began.

ifk101
18/03/2008, 6:39 AM
A little bit of perspective wouldn't go a miss sometimes.

OwlsFan
18/03/2008, 6:52 AM
Duff to improve under Keegan ? Doesn't look like it as he was dropped for last night's game against Birmingham and his stand-in has a good game. Whither now for our Damo :(?

kennedmc
18/03/2008, 7:44 AM
Perspective? - as in he had a long lay off so he's only getting back in to it which is fair enough - it might take him until next season to get going again.

One of my beefs with Duff is (please correcrt me if I'm wrong) he had the chance to join Spurs or Liverpool but he chose to join Newcastle :rolleyes:

It seems to me he wasn't up for the challenge and went for the easy option.

Hopefully he'll still be able to do it in a green jersey.

Kingdom
18/03/2008, 8:01 AM
this thread sums up the fickle nature of the Irish fan.

Irish player dropped - shock horror. He hasn't been playing to his usual standard, which everyone should remember was a pretty high standard, at a level much greater than any of the squad. He'd a pretty dibilatating injury and the fact that he's become quite injury prone, he will naturally take time to get back up to speed.

As for the jibe about taking the handy number thats a cheap shot at a player that gave his all to Blackburn and signed a new contract which guaranteed the club a payout, a player who could have left when they were relegated but didn't. Even when he signed for Chelsea, he completely changed his game when a new manager was brought in.
All the while he was our best player, form constantly being good, to such an extent that when he didn't play for us, we've had no outlet going forward.
The remarks about Hunt seamlessly replacing Duffer says more about Damien's lack of form and confidence than it does about Hunt's ability. I like Hunts swagger, I like his workrate, but calling a spade a spade he's a very hit and miss player, he was outstanding when he came on against Wales and got the crowd going but his overeagerness against the Czechs cost us.
I'd suggest that anyone revelling in Duffers constant slide in form is at best an idiot and at worst a complete fcukwit.

eirebhoy
18/03/2008, 8:03 AM
I still think that he will make the Ireland squad although he doesn't deserve it.
There's very few players that deserve their place in the Irish squad more than Duff.

antrimgreen
18/03/2008, 9:04 AM
I have seen glimpses of Newcastle a few games for 90 minutes, looked to me that Duff was giving his all while a lot off others stood back and couldn't be arsed. Give him a break ffs, he had a long injury and is steadily coming back and it just happens to be into a team that have no confidence and are performing poorly week in week out. Give your head a shake if you think Duff should come into the Newcastle team and bang in goal after goal and setup chance after chance.