L37Ultra
16/01/2008, 3:32 PM
:eek:Kevin Keegan announced as new Newcastle Manager

Discuss....

EAFC_rdfl
16/01/2008, 3:33 PM
Fail like all the rest

I'd love it, love it ... :D

Least he won't be linked with the Ireland job!

shakermaker1982
16/01/2008, 3:36 PM
I am shocked. Nice fella and I hope he turns em around (so long as Shearer is nowhere near the place) but just because it was semi successful a few years back doesn't mean the same forumula will work again......

sligoman
16/01/2008, 3:37 PM
Delighted to see him back in management. Wish him all the best and hope he does well:).

placid casual
16/01/2008, 3:40 PM
a quick fix solution to a long term problem.
the "toon army2 need to be sat down and told
"listen ,your not a big club,you never were. as fans you follow like sheep but have this unrealistic vision that somehow you belong at the top table of football.you dont. get over it"
keegan will last as long as capello. 1 calender year .

drinkfeckarse
16/01/2008, 3:42 PM
What a shock! Could be a masterstroke, could be a disaster. Only time will tell. I wonder will Shearer be handed the assistant role to be "groomed"? That's the only reason I can think of why Keegan would have got the job after all this time away.

colster
16/01/2008, 3:45 PM
Mike Ashely to Kevin Keegan...
"I'll love it... really love it if you come back and manage ...."

L37Ultra
16/01/2008, 3:48 PM
I am very suprised but still I think its down to the Newcastle fans. They are WAY too ambitious. They were on Sky Sports News today saying that either Benitez or Mourihno were going to be manager with Shearer as Assistant Manager. Keegan wont last long in my opinion. Hes a good character but only time will tell if you can be successful like the last time he was there

gustavo
16/01/2008, 3:48 PM
I think he'll do well there.

Lionel Ritchie
16/01/2008, 5:27 PM
I wish him well too. Incidently I was standing a few feet away from him when he made that "I will love it" speech.

Cabs88
16/01/2008, 7:09 PM
I dont know, as bad as newcastle's fans expectations are, they'll only multiply with Keegan back. If he doesnt hit the ground running, he could be in trouble.
Has not had any real managerial success, so only time will tell!

Kingdom
16/01/2008, 8:21 PM
looking forward to this. He's been involved in some of the most entertaining games in the premiership in his time at newcastle. Hopefully it can happen again.

Wolfie
17/01/2008, 7:27 AM
Could hopefully help spark Duffer back to form. I think he's the type of player Keegan would like. Hope I haven't jinxed it now.

bigmac
17/01/2008, 3:14 PM
Not sure about this one - hope he does well but it's a lot more difficult to win trophies now than it was when he first took over and I think the supporters are a bit unrealistic in their expectations. As a matter of interest, I had a quick look at trophy winnners over the last 10 years and even though I was expecting it to be bad, I was quite surprised.

Of the 30 major trophies won in that period (10 Leagues, FA Cups and League Cups), the big 4 teams in England have won 26 of them - with 22 between the big 3. Only in the League Cup has a team from outside the Champions League 4 managed a win, and if the big clubs took that as seriously as the other competitions, then I'd imagine the statistic would be worse.

In the 10 years prior to Keegan taking over at Newcastle the first time, there were 18 different winners of the 30 trophies, with Liverpool being the only real dominant force (10 trophies). After that, teams as diverse as Wimbledon and Oxford Utd (L.C. 1986) managed to get their hands on meaningful silverware. At present though, there are realistically only 4 teams that can have meaningful expectations of a trohpy any year, with perhaps aspirations from others (Spurs & Everton in this year's LC for example.)

With respect to Keegan, I would doubt that Newcastle fans accept this reality and I would fear for him when his first full season is very successful and results in a UEFA spot, a L.C semi-final and an FA Cup quarter final.

bennocelt
18/01/2008, 10:56 AM
looking forward to this. He's been involved in some of the most entertaining games in the premiership in his time at newcastle. Hopefully it can happen again.

yeah def agree
when i heard this i had a huge smile on my face all day. Cant wait to see keegan and Newcastle now.
Brilliant appointment, maybe we should have had him for the irish job, if we thought of it though

ramsfan
18/01/2008, 12:33 PM
hope he does well as last time newcastle were great to watch, but part of me things he should have stayed away, if he does cut it this time his previous exploits will be soon forgotten

tetsujin1979
18/01/2008, 1:03 PM
Press conference on Sky Sports News at the moment

gaiscíoch
19/01/2008, 9:38 AM
Press conference on Sky Sports News at the moment

What an absolute circus. Great to have him back I look forward to seeing him and Newcastle fail. After all it's what they deserve. Keegan reckons he can break the top four?? LMAO:D. No chance if sven can't do it with city, with all his Thai blood money, then how does Keegan think he will with Newcastle. Takes more than passion to succeed in the preimership these days.

gustavo
19/01/2008, 10:48 AM
What an absolute circus. Great to have him back I look forward to seeing him and Newcastle fail. After all it's what they deserve. Keegan reckons he can break the top four?? LMAO:D. No chance if sven can't do it with city, with all his Thai blood money, then how does Keegan think he will with Newcastle. Takes more than passion to succeed in the preimership these days.
This is the Manchester City that was in 4th for a good portion of their season so far ? and their season isn't over by a long way yet so who's to say they wont break the top 4? as for Keegan's statement , why not be ambitious ? why take the job if he doesn't think they can make the top 4

Anto McC
19/01/2008, 10:53 AM
If he is to succed he needs to bring in a defender as number 2, like 'arry at Pompey

gaiscíoch
19/01/2008, 11:16 AM
This is the Manchester City that was in 4th for a good portion of their season so far ? and their season isn't over by a long way yet so who's to say they wont break the top 4? as for Keegan's statement , why not be ambitious ? why take the job if he doesn't think they can make the top 4

Manchester City will not be in the top four at the end of the season!!! No chance. Maybe next year. Plus in a way here we are comparing Sven "Gordan" to Kevin Keegan. What the hell has he ever won apart from a couple of First division. Not enough for me I'm afraid. He does't have the scouting network, he does't have the tactical knowledge he will bottle big games eg Liverpool 4-3. The man is deluded if he thinks he can jump Pompey, Everton or City. :ball:

shakermaker1982
19/01/2008, 12:09 PM
Newcastle fans are starting to get on my t**s now. What makes their club so special? They are a 1 club city, they get 50,000 fans or they won an FA cup 40 or 50 years ago.

gaiscíoch
19/01/2008, 12:47 PM
Newcastle fans are starting to get on my t**s now. What makes their club so special? They are a 1 club city, they get 50,000 fans or they won an FA cup 40 or 50 years ago.

Exactly!! They don't understand that every teams fans are passionate about their respective teams. 50,000 Geordies who are deluded as to the size of their club. Wahoo they make alot of noise, Sunderland fans make alot of noise does't mean they are a big club. "I will love it" when Keegan makes a clown of himself again and walks away.:ball: