PDA

View Full Version : FAI Fans Forum Questions

akearins
16/01/2008, 8:36 AM
Just to let you all know about a fans forum coming up on Saturday with the FAI in their new HQ in Abbottstown.

Basically just before Christmas Noel Mooney contacted the Trust to organise this forum.We wer given a few offical supporters club contact details but lets just say it was very minimal and Noel asked us to contact all LOI supporters clubs. So over the last few weeks we have created a contact list for LOI supporters clubs and will be passing it onto the FAI shortly.

So after this we contacted every LOI club informing them of the forum,agenda, directions etc....

This is the first time ever that such a gathering of LOI supporters representatives has taken place and the Trust is glad to have helped organise it.

So basically what I am looking for is your ideas suggestions anything you think is important to you that will promote the LOI and especially Sligo Rovers.
I will bring these to the Forum saturday and will report back early next week on any valid suggestions.So anything you want to ask send to me privately or just post it up on forum.

Cheers

neutrino
16/01/2008, 12:12 PM
God work Alan, Hopefully this is just the first of a series of such meetings.

- my question relates to this :: I did not see much evidence of increased advertising of last years Eircom league. beit increased ad's in papers, billboards, radio.

What have the FAI got planned is terms of marketing and advertising the league this year ? Surely it's time for the FAI to come up with a campaign of TV adverts to stir up support. Regardless of what is said about effective advertising throught print media, nothing can beat Television exposure for getting people, esp the younger generation in the Eircom League.

Guts&Glory
17/01/2008, 11:34 AM
My question would be with regard to the various fines that Sligo Rovers and other clubs got last season for the very ambigious phrases like "Behaviour of supporters" "lack of control of fans" etc.

Is there any light to be shed on :

(A) is it the fourth official or any member of the officials team that reports these matters and whats their basis for such asessments.

(B) Can any light be shed on exactly what actions would incur such fines e.g. Rovers were reportedly fined for Singing taking place near the dressing rooms at half time of the Rovers Vs Bohs home game.

(C) Is there a fans conduct code with regard to behaviour that incurs fines beyond the Stadium security page issued by the FAI and printed by Rovers in each match programme.

I cannot recall any Rovers match last season that was any serious nature that required Garda action in the stadium to control supporters yet Rovers and others were repeatedly fined for our alleged supporters behaviour.

akearins
18/01/2008, 10:35 AM
I have taken these questions along with others and have them ready for tomorrows forum.In relation to TV the eircom weekly will now be on Mondays on RTE at 8-9 and I think then TV3 will provide a preview of the weekend fixtures on the Tuesday.

One thing we will be looking for is funding for advertisement boards for supporetrs to put up around town and county leading up to games.It is something we have talked to Noel about and he agreed it may be possible.

Other areas for dicussion we will bring up is

Stricter Implementation of FAI license in relation to match day issues for supporters
i.e. Hot food on both side of ground, toilet facilities same on both side of grounds,loosening of regulations on flares or smoke bombs in order to create an atmosphere,improving general ground conditions(which should have been carried out under licensing conditions e.g loose stone, shael in grounds)

Look into possiblity of FAI along with clubs subsidising buses from surrounding areas to get supporters into the games.Also look into this for trains also i.e. attracting fans from towns like Carrick,Boyle Ballymote anywher on the train line.This may run as Dublin clubs would benefit greatly if a chepaer rate can be agreed with Dublin Bus and teh Dart

Plenty more but will report back on Monday

deecay
20/01/2008, 4:33 PM
How did it go on the Rovers front?

akearins
21/01/2008, 10:22 AM
Well Deecay,

Forum went very well I will put up all the main points raised later as there is a lot.But basically with Noel Mooney and Fran gavin the LOI is looking at a very bright future...post more later today

sligoman
21/01/2008, 1:38 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=858661&postcount=75

Guts&Glory
22/01/2008, 8:54 AM
Fair Play to Gary and Alan for representing SRFC.

As others have said its amazing how a bit of info can make people, I include myself in that I am not preaching here, better understand some of the issues the FAI have to contend with.

Why not have say a quarterly release from them on LOI issues/updates that can then be given to the LOI clubs, Supporters club/trusts, media etc. so as to act as better PR for them and make people better understand whats going on and that they are progressing matters rather than a info blackout.

Given how posistive the meeting seems to have gone hopefully they will consider more meetings and info releases like these in the future.

A worthwhile event all round it seems.

Well done to all.

clubman
22/01/2008, 3:46 PM
Fair Play to Gary and Alan for representing SRFC.

As others have said its amazing how a bit of info can make people, I include myself in that I am not preaching here, better understand some of the issues the FAI have to contend with.

Why not have say a quarterly release from them on LOI issues/updates that can then be given to the LOI clubs, Supporters club/trusts, media etc. so as to act as better PR for them and make people better understand whats going on and that they are progressing matters rather than a info blackout.

Given how posistive the meeting seems to have gone hopefully they will consider more meetings and info releases like these in the future.

A worthwhile event all round it seems.

Well done to all.

Totally agree with all of above but lest we lose the run of ourselves lets look at the facts. The FAI are a professional body, professional in the fact that these people are paid for what they do. All very well praising them for this forum but am I right in saying it was Alan and co that set it up. It's easy for the professional to come into such a meeting and say this and that. People such as Alan and Gary are giving their time freely and deserve better. Of course there should be more communication between the FAI/Clubs and supporters. Of course there should be more interaction between the FAI/Clubs/Supporters and the media. The agenda here is to raise the profile of our league and that should be through whatever means is possible. This is a start, now let the FAI, THE PROFESSIONALS, move forward from this and get on with the business of communicating.

Just a point from Gary's report;

FAI Cup
This will be the first time the FAI (EL) run the competition. They are looking to build it up and make the final a real showpiece. The final will be 2 weeks after the EL - i think this will be the same each year. Interesting to note thomond park a possible contender to host the final.

I may be wrong here but I don't think that the above is an acurate comment. To my knowledge the FAI always were responsible for the domestic showpiece each year. In fact last year's competition was the first for the new FAI Cup. I think last December's decider was way under promoted and on the day it lacked the atmosphere only a big crowd can generate for such a game. I think more could have been done to get more bums on seats even if it ment giving out an allocation of freebies to every club in the league. Hopefully the people concerned will learn for the future.

John83
22/01/2008, 4:16 PM
...am I right in saying it was Alan and co that set it up. It's easy for the professional to come into such a meeting and say this and that. People such as Alan and Gary are giving their time freely and deserve better. Of course there should be more communication between the FAI/Clubs and supporters...
Alan and anyone else involved in setting it up deserve some praise, but these professionals gave up their Saturday to hold that meeting.

...To my knowledge the FAI always were responsible for the domestic showpiece each year. In fact last year's competition was the first for the new FAI Cup...
I'm not entirely clear on this, but I think they said that it was run by another department within the FAI, and that from this year it will be run by the league.

garykelly
22/01/2008, 7:53 PM
Just a point from Gary's report;

I may be wrong here but I don't think that the above is an acurate comment. To my knowledge the FAI always were responsible for the domestic showpiece each year. In fact last year's competition was the first for the new FAI Cup. I think last December's decider was way under promoted and on the day it lacked the atmosphere only a big crowd can generate for such a game. I think more could have been done to get more bums on seats even if it ment giving out an allocation of freebies to every club in the league. Hopefully the people concerned will learn for the future.

No this is the first time the people who run the Eircom League (EL) will be running the FAI Cup. The FAI has many depts and the eircom league is one of them. I think another dept in the FAI ran the cup final. What was new about last years FAI Cup ? apart from the sponsor.

You could have handed out tons of free tickets to last years final but the fact is would have made no difference. The RDS has precious little cover and it was a full blown storm that day. Personally I'm very close to where the RDS is but was no chance of me going to that game given the conditions.I had planned to go with a few others but watched on TV instead. Obviously there were problems with the final date etc, but the weather didnt help at all.

In terms of who organised it. I believe Noel Mooney put forward the idea to Alan and Alan contacted the various groups. But sure Alan can speak for himself on that one. Its all fine and well being used to criticising the league but I really think the new set-up will bring this league on, as long as clubs and supporters get behind it.

feo123
22/01/2008, 7:55 PM
No this is the first time the people who run the Eircom League (EL) will be running the FAI Cup. The FAI has many depts and the eircom league is one of them. I think another dept in the FAI ran the cup final. What was new about last years FAI Cup ? apart from the sponsor.

You could have handed out tons of free tickets to last years final but the fact is would have made no difference. The RDS has precious little cover and it was a full blown storm that day. Personally I'm very close to where the RDS is but was no chance of me going to that game given the conditions.I had planned to go with a few others but watched on TV instead. Obviously there were problems with the final date etc, but the weather didnt help at all.

In terms of who organised it. I believe Noel Mooney put forward the idea to Alan and Alan contacted the various groups. But sure Alan can speak for himself on that one. Its all fine and well being used to criticising the league but I really think the new set-up will bring this league on, as long as clubs and supporters get behind it.

where have you been? :confused: :)

Schumi
22/01/2008, 7:57 PM
What was new about last years FAI Cup ? apart from the sponsor. The cup itself was a new design.

micls
22/01/2008, 8:00 PM
The cup itself was a new design.

And now is a new design again.......

Guts&Glory
23/01/2008, 1:05 PM
Professionals gave up their time!!

God love them, anyone in contract work have done that in our working lives.

Dont forget Alan/Gary and their like from the other clubs all gave up their time and expense to travel to Dublin for the day to attend the meeting. As those guys at all the clubs do for any meetings and events they organise and have.

The weekends for Mooney and co. would revolve around going to Eircom League games and clubs anyway so in all reality its a working day for them anyway.

Re The Cup - the line that 'its previously been run by a Dept within the FAI' just doesnt stack up as thats still FAI people.

The Eircom League may now be just one dept of the FAI but thats only because they have overtaken the running of the League, the cup was always theirs.

The FAI cup has always has been run by them, you cannot point the finger at a dept within that org thats just redicoulous, the title kind of gives it away.

clubman
23/01/2008, 3:43 PM

The old FAI Cup was put out to stud last year's trophy was brand new.
The FAI Cup was always organised and run by the FAI.
I think the FAI and Noel Mooney in particular could have done more to promote the season's showpiece. They failed last year but I am in favour of giving them the benifit of the doubt. Only time will tell if he/they are up to it.
So Noel Mooney deligated the work over to a volunteer, Alan in this case.
Well done Alan for all the hard work as ever.
The point that the RDS has precious little cover and the inclement weather is down to the timing of the showpiece. It all comes back to 'summer football' and playing the final in the middle of winter. Had the final being played in May or even September then chances are that the weather would be better as well. This is a decision only the organisers can make. Over to Noel Mooney and co.

By the way welcome back Gary you have been away too long.

garykelly
23/01/2008, 4:46 PM
The old FAI Cup was put out to stud last year's trophy was brand new.
The FAI Cup was always organised and run by the FAI.
I think the FAI and Noel Mooney in particular could have done more to promote the season's showpiece. They failed last year but I am in favour of giving them the benifit of the doubt. Only time will tell if he/they are up to it.
So Noel Mooney deligated the work over to a volunteer, Alan in this case.
Well done Alan for all the hard work as ever.
The point that the RDS has precious little cover and the inclement weather is down to the timing of the showpiece. It all comes back to 'summer football' and playing the final in the middle of winter. Had the final being played in May or even September then chances are that the weather would be better as well. This is a decision only the organisers can make. Over to Noel Mooney and co.

By the way welcome back Gary you have been away too long.

The cup is new.Grand stuff. I thought referred to actual competition. Ah sure we'll see what happens in the next year. I've just laid out what happened and was said. wheter progress happens or not is up to the FAI. They really have to earn their kudos and hopefully they will in time. Anyway, no doubt we'll all enjoy supporting the boys on the pitch again this year!!