PDA

View Full Version : Citys Defence in 2008

A face
15/01/2008, 3:04 PM
Hoggie, Darren Murphy, Dan Murray, Darragh Ryan

Are you happy with that? I sure am anyway.

rambler14
15/01/2008, 3:37 PM
Brian O'Callaghan gone to Halifax so u don't have to worry about him

Risteard
15/01/2008, 3:48 PM
Chances are that'd be a good back 4.
With a bit of familiarity, I think Murphy and Darragh Ryan are up to it.
There's nowhere near enough cover at the moment though.

A face
15/01/2008, 5:03 PM
Chances are that'd be a good back 4.
With a bit of familiarity, I think Murphy and Darragh Ryan are up to it.
There's nowhere near enough cover at the moment though.

Agreed there, although Kelly got a good bit of a season under his belt and it will stand to him i think. The good thing is he is young still so more to see of him yet.

Lordan will be great cover for Hoggie as well, and he will be cover on the wing as well so he should feature a bit this year.

Has Billy hung up his boots? If not then he'll be good cover for Darragh.

Dan Murray you just cant replace though unless its someone with proven quality

max power
15/01/2008, 6:05 PM
Best addition is the manager. Can really put together a back 4, you know how hard it was to score against Longford sometimes.

Unless us, now he has a really good midfield and attacking set to work with.

pete
15/01/2008, 9:13 PM
Hoggie, Darren Murphy, Dan Murray, Darragh Ryan

Are you happy with that? I sure am anyway.

No.

I think we will do better with a keeper :p

Murphy unproven in defence.

A face
15/01/2008, 11:11 PM
Murphy unproven in defence.

No way, he played most of his career there, with Cobh he was an unreal CB. In fact having him charging forward out of defence spraying the ball into the midfield will be brilliant. No better boy to get stuck in either, he has a good saucy streak in him. It all good :p

Good times ahead ;)

GavinZac
16/01/2008, 12:32 AM
No way, he played most of his career there, with Cobh he was an unreal CB. In fact having him charging forward out of defence spraying the ball into the midfield will be brilliant. No better boy to get stuck in either, he has a good saucy streak in him. It all good :p

Good times ahead ;)

In other news, Kevin Murray and Gutsy were unreal CBs for Cobh this year. Would you partner Murray with either of them for a championship challenge?

We're in for our lowest finish in many a year, i fear :(

razor
16/01/2008, 8:04 AM
Damien O'Rourke may also be on his way back

pete
16/01/2008, 11:29 AM
No way, he played most of his career there, with Cobh he was an unreal CB.

1st division means unproven to me especially if want to move into top 4 side defence.

Risteard
16/01/2008, 11:32 AM
We do have a top 4 sides defence.

Sheridan
16/01/2008, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure Murphy and Murray would work, I think Murphy is much better in midfield where his dynamism and stamina are put to better use. The main reason Bennett and Murray complemented each other so well was that Bennett played as a more stationary man-marker with Murray as the spare man. Fielding two ball-playing centre-halves is fraught with risk. I think Cork urgently need another out-and-out centre-back.

pete
16/01/2008, 2:35 PM
Centre Backs first & foremost need to defend. Ability to pass the ball is a bonus.

SÓC
16/01/2008, 3:11 PM
Murray is an out and out centre half, its just that he can play a bit when needed.

In simple terms Murray and Benno worked so well because Muzza dealt with everything in the air and Benno covered the speed merchants in behind, never once in his whole career with City did I see him beaten for pace. Benno was well able to play too.

As things stand I'd like to see Lordan given a chance at the Benno role, he's never let us down at right back, left back, centre back, centre mid or on either wing! He has great pace but lacks bulk

Sonic
19/01/2008, 8:23 PM
Unless us, now he has a really good midfield and attacking set to work with.

And our midfield and attack wasnt good this year!!?? Youl be hard pressed to find a better partnership then Mooney Baker around the division last year and the likes of Deegan for his age was a revelation for us!

harry crumb
20/01/2008, 4:51 PM
Murray is an out and out centre half, its just that he can play a bit when needed.

In simple terms Murray and Benno worked so well because Muzza dealt with everything in the air and Benno covered the speed merchants in behind, never once in his whole career with City did I see him beaten for pace. Benno was well able to play too.

As things stand I'd like to see Lordan given a chance at the Benno role, he's never let us down at right back, left back, centre back, centre mid or on either wing! He has great pace but lacks bulk

"Fabio" caught him out down at the Cross I do remember.

Risteard
11/02/2008, 12:21 AM
Pat Sull was very impressive today.
Himself, Meyler and Billy for MOTM.
I'm looking forward to sussing Mulcahy out.
It looks like Mathews has a big decision to make on the 2nd centre-back spot.

A face
11/02/2008, 12:30 AM
Pat Sull was very impressive today.
It looks like Mathews has a big decision to make on the 2nd centre-back spot.

I still think Darren Murphy is still the best option, but its only two games in so far so hopefully we'll see if there are other options.

GavinZac
11/02/2008, 1:39 AM
I still think Darren Murphy is still the best option, but its only two games in so far so hopefully we'll see if there are other options.

other options? murphy hasnt been near the pitch in the last 2 games, with admir, lordan and kelly all doing relatively well at centre back, albeit against poor opposition.

i think people lost the run of themselves with regard to darren murphy. he came on a couple of times, ran about and got stuck in, but showed no actual benefit as a footballer beyond physically being strong and fast. he received player of the month for sheer enthusiasm alone at a time when we had little or none in the squad. as much as i would love him to be the solution, i cant fathom why anyone would put him ahead of kelly, who was rated enough to be signed by arsenal and already has a year of playing behind him, or ahead of lordan who has been performing "satisfactorily" or better at every given opportunity since 2004. people seem to have forgotten he was immense against the likes of malmo, NEC and nantes, for the sake of murphy who ran around a bit for a few standard eloi games last year?

A face
11/02/2008, 7:44 AM
other options? murphy hasnt been near the pitch in the last 2 games, with admir, lordan and kelly all doing relatively well at centre back, albeit against poor opposition.

i think people lost the run of themselves with regard to darren murphy. he came on a couple of times, ran about and got stuck in, but showed no actual benefit as a footballer beyond physically being strong and fast. he received player of the month for sheer enthusiasm alone at a time when we had little or none in the squad. as much as i would love him to be the solution, i cant fathom why anyone would put him ahead of kelly, who was rated enough to be signed by arsenal and already has a year of playing behind him, or ahead of lordan who has been performing "satisfactorily" or better at every given opportunity since 2004. people seem to have forgotten he was immense against the likes of malmo, NEC and nantes, for the sake of murphy who ran around a bit for a few standard eloi games last year?

Agreed with all of that to a certain degree, so we'll settle for Damien O'Rourke so yeah !?! ;):p

bellavistaman
14/02/2008, 11:03 AM
he has a good saucy streak in him. It all good :p

Good?? Are you bloody mad, jesus christ we only had 4 or 5 big games against big prem clubs over the years and he got sent off in all of them, cant keep his head at all. Very good player though, great potential.

In other news, Kevin Murray and Gutsy were unreal CBs for Cobh this year. Would you partner Murray with either of them for a championship challenge?

We're in for our lowest finish in many a year, i fear :(

Hand on heart wouldnt swap them two for any CB in the league, they compliment each other so much its frightening.

micls
14/02/2008, 4:05 PM
Hand on heart wouldnt swap them two for any CB in the league, they compliment each other so much its frightening.

It's grand saying that now, before seeing them in action in the premier.

I rate both players highly but it will be interesting to see how the deal witht he likes of Mooney, Zayed, Faz, Jason Byrne etc

bellavistaman
14/02/2008, 5:11 PM
No problem at all!!

Risteard
25/02/2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe Sullivan in the middle now seen as Cockney and Hoggy will be fullbacks.