PDA

View Full Version : moronic booing at Lansdowne

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
12/06/2003, 1:48 PM
Maybe it's just me, and maybe it wasn't as evident on telly, but does anyone else find it more than annoying when a player or ex player of Glasgow Rangers touches a ball at Lansdowne and gets booed and castigated. I find it infantile, ignorant and very embarrassing towards proper soccer supporters who are there to watch a game.
These morons would come home all up in arms after visiting a ground where Colin Healy was booed everytime he touched a ball, saying how victimised he was. It's high time that this sort of crap is cut out.

LFC in Exile
12/06/2003, 2:04 PM
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why shouldn't he be given a hard time? If Andy Goram signed for Kildare County and was lining out tonight would you make no reference to it. Football supporters use whatever they can to get at the other team and its players.

In any event it is a small number that boo-ed him and other Rangers and ex-Rangers players. This is a non-issue, the one thing that does make me want to puke is George Hamilton's sactimonious waffle.

JohnD
12/06/2003, 2:07 PM
Couldn't agree more. It just shows you how emotionally immature we are as a nation. The Fact that some of us can't respect players who play for teams that are from different backgrounds than us is a sign of weakness in our makeup.

We would be the first to take the high moral ground and do so when we criticise English Fans that boo other teams' anthems

joeSoap
12/06/2003, 2:09 PM
Agree with you 100% about the George Hamilton waffle...if I'm not at the games I watch them on sky because of that 2 foot 6 gimp!!
We'll agree to differ on the other matter...it's probably too political anyway and that has no place in sport!!

James
12/06/2003, 2:09 PM
moved thread to National Team lads
might get more of a response from the 'community if its here rather then in the limerick forum

Ref
12/06/2003, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by joeSoap
Maybe it's just me, and maybe it wasn't as evident on telly,

it was very evident on telly last night.

I find it infantile, ignorant and very embarrassing towards proper soccer supporters who are there to watch a game.

i couldn't agree more. a few years ago Ireland won an award for being the best supporters in the world. look where we are now.

it is absolutely horrendous that a player would be booed becasue he plays for Glasgow Rangers.

George Hamilton made a reference or two to it and fair play to him for doing so. called them the 'moronic element'.

These morons would come home all up in arms after visiting a ground where Colin Healy was booed everytime he touched a ball, saying how victimised he was. It's high time that this sort of crap is cut out.

absolutely. we wouldn't want colin healy booed because he played for celtic.

these people are idiots and booing a player because he plays for Rangers IS embarrsing and disgraceful and it needs to be sorted out. i wouldn't be surprised if UEFA got involved.

maybe if Brian Kerr spoke out on the matter they might stop this senseless behaviour.

In any event it is a small number that boo-ed him and other Rangers and ex-Rangers players.

thats not what it sounded like on the telly last night.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. This is a non-issue
oh come off it. see here (http://www.foot.ie/t8071.htm)

noby
12/06/2003, 2:27 PM
you could always turn it into a game of spot the rangers player:)

if the pa announced lastnight "in the georgin team tonight there is one rangers player", but didn't say his number, then the crowd would have to try and guess which player they are supposed to boo.
if you boo the right player, you could win a spot prize!?

it worked against denmark.

sadloserkid
12/06/2003, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by James
moved thread to National Team lads
might get more of a response from the 'community if its here rather then in the limerick forum

Sorry, I was on me lunch James, otherwise I woulda done it! :D

James
12/06/2003, 2:42 PM
yeah so was i.. but i sensed a disturbance in the er um limerick board and rushed to fix it... some ppl have no dedication.. lunch ..bah..thats for girls SLK :D

anyways my tuppence

i thought george hamilton's outrage / tut tutting was a bit much after he was all so evidently pro sellthick in the euro cup final v porto....
he seems to think Celtic are irish, we shud follow them etc etc but then when irish ppl act like glaswegian followers of sellthick (and boo the hun :D) .. he goes all condeming like and ..shame on those ppl etc etc

whats the story there like george?

Eric
12/06/2003, 2:51 PM
Most of the booing was coming from the east stand last night and the only reason most of them were doing it is because they can't sing anything for themselves!!!

I've be going to Lansdowne for a while night and anytime there is booing of a rangers player it seem to come from around the front of the east stand near the middle of the pitch. During the course of the game it then catchs on around the rest of the ground as the barstool/sky sports fans think it is the thing to do.

As for trying to stop it, don't think thats ever gonna happen cause these people never go to Celtic matches and think by booing rangers players that they are showing their love for Celtic..........SAD!!!!!!

Aberdonian Stu
12/06/2003, 3:28 PM
It's all well and good for us to sithere agreeing that it's a disgrace that a Rangers player gets booed but frankly the only way to get the problem fixed is if we get the FAI to start tackling the issue.

If we got the likes of Kerr and Bonner (now that he's tech director and ex-Celtic) to ask the fans to respect the players we might get some way to solving the problem. And considering that the PA at the last two games is Celtic's PA could we not get him to say something???

eoinh
12/06/2003, 3:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, and maybe it wasn't as evident on telly, but does anyone else find it more than annoying when a player or ex player of Glasgow Rangers touches a ball at Lansdowne and gets booed and castigated. I find it infantile, ignorant and very embarrassing towards proper soccer supporters who are there to watch a game.

Agree with you 100%.

thecorner
12/06/2003, 3:39 PM
short memories lads
the day before the away game against georgia, this clown was mouthing off in the papers saying he would love to get the goal that beats ireland for the rangers fan
now what did rangers have to do with georgia vs ireland

pr!ck deserved what he got

gspain
12/06/2003, 3:44 PM
Not sure where it came from last night but not near me in west upper wing - UG. Definitely only East stand v Scotland in 2000.

However it was west upper in friendly v Denmark last year - guy behind me with an 8 year old son called Peter Madsen a "dirty proddie" and an "orange *******". West upper UA/B guy behind me gave Flo sectarian abuse at the Norway game.

I wrote to the F.A.I. after the Norway game and am awaiting a response.

It is very easy to identify the culprits. There is a record of every seat number in the Ticket office.

Ironically 100 miles up the road you would hardly see a Rangers shirt at Windsor Park anymore and they have made great strides under Michael Boyd in getting rid of sectarian chanting and encouraging a family atmosphere.

Maybe do a Pat Dolan on it and ban all British club shirts from Lansdowne.........

gspain
12/06/2003, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
short memories lads
the day before the away game against georgia, this clown was mouthing off in the papers saying he would love to get the goal that beats ireland for the rangers fan

Can you quote your source?

If my memory serves me correctly he didn't even play in Tbilisi.

deise deserter
12/06/2003, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by LFC in Exile
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Why shouldn't he be given a hard time?

This is a strange point to be making seeing as you are against players being castigated in Pike Rovers....

patsh
12/06/2003, 4:23 PM
Well apparently Kerr did ask for this not to happen in the program, but to no avail. Hamilton is dead right to complain about it and to bring it to peoples attention, especially if the guy is pro-Celtic.
Again, I reckon the FAI have a lot to answer for here. Rooney was on the RTE news today saying how awful it was (the booing) and then went on to say about the fantastic effort put in by the fans (flags, colour etc etc.). However, not once did he mention that it was eL fans who are the people really doing this. If the FAI are happy to promote and be associated with clubs from another country, while almost completely ignoring our own league, how are we going to persuade those with an interest in soccer to turn away from Celtic and others to our own teams.

Scouse
12/06/2003, 5:25 PM
Personally everytime i hear this booing i hope the player will stick one in and then play a pretend flute!!!

Then we could go back to our indignant moral outrage that we r so good at!

On a lighter point I think a lot more eL fans and less here-for-the-glory-of-Celtic fans will make Lansdowne a noisy and enjoyable fortress in the future. Lets hope that this happens.

Just a quick note on the usual Hun comment (someone said earlier) - it was originally an insult to Celtic fans used after the battle of the somme 1916 (apologies for boring history....)

LFC in Exile
12/06/2003, 5:33 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Ironically 100 miles up the road you would hardly see a Rangers shirt at Windsor Park anymore and they have made great strides under Michael Boyd in getting rid of sectarian chanting and encouraging a family atmosphere.

Ah Gary, c'mon. You're stretching it a bit now.

You can't favourably comment on Windsor Park compared to Lansdowne Road. The Neil Lennon incident is not that long ago. Its easy to pretend to be non-sectarian when you issue death threats against the Celtic players.

Windsor is still a no-go for Nationalists. The booing of Arveladze et al is very small potatoes compared to what has happened in Norn Iron.

Ref
12/06/2003, 5:38 PM
The booing of Arveladze et al is very small potatoes compared to what has happened in Norn Iron.

and a lot happens in northern ireland.

Scouse
12/06/2003, 5:38 PM
I c the logic of smaller is better.......

All this hatred starts with small things - people dont just go straight for the kill, a culture builds up. If u want sectarianism to come down south then keep calling it small potatoes.

James
12/06/2003, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by Scouse
All this hatred starts with small things

a wise man once said

anger leads to hate. hate leads to the Dark Side

bemindful out there :)

pineapple stu
12/06/2003, 6:34 PM
Brian Kerr mentioned it in his Manager's Column. Only saw that to-day though, so it wouldn't really have helped matters much...

There was a bit in the Dublin Daily on it as well, but in most of the papers it doesn't even get a mention, which is ridiculous. But it must be announced over the PA that these people are gobsh!tes and tell them to stop. At least it'll stop the bandwagon jumpers, if not the instigators.

thecorner
12/06/2003, 7:24 PM
Can you quote your source?

If my memory serves me correctly he didn't even play in Tbilisi.

your memory is right but this is what he said in a lot of tabloids before the game
and yes there was qoutations

F*uck The ******

booing goes on in our own league as well. just ask ollie and when we r finished with reynolds he will vouch for it as well

thecorner
12/06/2003, 7:26 PM
and may i also refresh your memories back to a a hom,e game against iceland and a certain mr.roy keane

Gary
12/06/2003, 9:59 PM
Well done Corner, you are a real irish man. Fair play to speak up among the nonsense.

tiktok
12/06/2003, 11:01 PM
booing goes on in our own league as well. just ask ollie and when we r finished with reynolds he will vouch for it as well

yeah, but we don't boo kevin hunt because he used to play with barnet. in the cases you mentioned we have a 'history' with the players.

to be honest it sickens me that we boo rangers players, just because they are rangers players.

maineman
12/06/2003, 11:55 PM
Agree totally the booing is a discrace and has no place in international football,it's ridiculas that everytime a rangers player comes to play here we have the same ****.

Real ale Madrid
13/06/2003, 12:27 AM
your memory is right but this is what he said in a lot of tabloids before the game
and yes there was qoutations

F*uck The ******

Well if it was in the tabloids it must have been true.:rolleyes:

thecorner
13/06/2003, 2:32 AM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Well if it was in the tabloids it must have been true.:rolleyes:
well if a couple of papers run the same story with quotes and it aint true, they would be wide open to libel action
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gspain
13/06/2003, 9:35 AM
Ah Gary, c'mon. You're stretching it a bit now.

You can't favourably comment on Windsor Park compared to Lansdowne Road. The Neil Lennon incident is not that long ago. Its easy to pretend to be non-sectarian when you issue death threats against the Celtic players.

Windsor is still a no-go for Nationalists. The booing of Arveladze et al is very small potatoes compared to what has happened in Norn Iron.

It was probably the Neil Lennon incident (the abuse not the death threats which had nothing to do with fans) that galvanised the campaign

They have a campaign to "Give bigotry the red card" and are making great strides. It's a very different place to the way it was 5 or 10 years ago. I actually looked for Rangers shirts in the highlights of the Spain game and couldn't see any in the crowd shots.

I was at our last 3 games at Windsor and yes there was lots of sectarian bile. At the same time we had NI fans sitting with the home support here without any problems. I took great pride in that. Then we were the best fans in the world.

UEFA are clamping down on racist abuse at the moment - well have fans shout "dirty proddie", "orange *******" (heard by me at Danish game)or "Get stuck into the F@&*ING Prod" as heard by the Newstalk106 reporter on wed night would certainly qualify.

gspain
13/06/2003, 9:43 AM
Can I just re-iterate booing oposing players is not the problem - booing Albanians for feigning injury is fine or bad tackles.

It is booing a player because he plays for a certain club or his religion is the problem and the sectarian bile directed at them as well.

Anyway these bigots are making a lot of fans really dislike Celtic FC - a few callers to Newstalk106 last night were claiming to now support Rangers because of this.

Needless to say this is not the answer as some Rangers fans as just as sectarian and moronic but there's always Kilmarnock or Dunfermline. Anyway they should be supporting Rovers or Bohs first.

sadloserkid
13/06/2003, 9:46 AM
Needless to say this is not the answer as some Rangers fans as just as sectarian and moronic but there's always Kilmarnock or Dunfermline. Anyway they should be supporting Rovers or Bohs first.

Surely that should be there's always Dundee United or Hibernians??? :p

And you know as well as me that they should be supporting Limerick first! :D

yur man
13/06/2003, 10:30 AM
booing for playin for rangers is a disgrace. and as for the comments arveladze made, it makes no difference to me, we shouldnt stoop to that level

as we all know, that kind of booing normally happens between clubs with a history of great rivalry, but even thats never sectarian. the republic of ireland team is not a club team

kick out bigotry!

Ref
13/06/2003, 2:08 PM
FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney has made the stamping out of booing of players at international games a priority following the constant booing of Georgia and Rangers striker Shota Arveladze by a minority of the crowd in Wednesday night's 2-0 victory over Georgia.

Arveladze was regularly booed by a small section of the crowd on account that he plays for Scottish club Glasgow Rangers and Rooney has reiterated manager Brian Kerr's stance that it is unacceptable.

"We will look at how other Associations deal with it, get the players involved and get the media involved. We've got to stamp it out," Rooney said.

"The Association has already tried things. We have made announcement before which only intensified the booing and last night, Brian Kerr's programme notes asked for no booing.

"Sometimes supporters boo a player when he makes a bad tackle or because of his attitude and I suppose that's part of football but to boo a players because he is associated with a particular club is unacceptable.

"It is certainly the minority of people who boo. I think that sometimes people don't even realise why they are booing and think it's because the player maybe did a bad tackle, but it started very early last night and was nothing to do with the game.

"It's not new. We've had it against Norway and Denmark as well and I know that it's also a problem in other countries.

And Rooney also praised the majority of fans for their tremendous support of Ireland during the game. "I think the atmosphere last night was electric. Fans had put a lot of work into preparing for the game which makes the actions of a few all the more disappointing."

fai.ie

Real ale Madrid
13/06/2003, 2:13 PM
Apparently Arveladze collapsed after the game and was only released from hospital today. Wonder what happened, I don't think he was subbed - anyone know?

Andyh
13/06/2003, 7:13 PM
It seems to me that Rangers and Celtic, and many of their supporters are the main cause of problems for both Irish teams.

It's sad really because both Rangers and Celtic are great clubs, with many thoroughly decent supporters, but too many of their fans think it's about more than football.

As a Northern Ireland fan I was really disgusted with what to Neil Lennon, mistreated by a stupid minority. I also would hate to see Keith Gillespie move to Rangers, as he will just become an idol to sad little bigots, simply because he's a protestant from NI.

I think both countries (oh bit controversial) have really great traditions going back a long way, and on the whole excellent supporters. But a moronic MINORITY ruin it for both sides

James
14/06/2003, 4:19 AM
LADS ..CORNER AND pineapple stu..watch the chit u posting .. no matter how drunk ye that kinda chit is uncalled for

tiktok
14/06/2003, 5:33 AM
short memories lads

Are you 100% positive about that thecorner? Averladze is an Ortodox Catholic from the oldest Christian area in the world. i doubt he'd want to bring any attention to religious divide between (predominantly) protestant rangers and (predominantly) catholic ireland.

apparently he was rushed to hospital because he started coughing up blood. soem celtic fan in the hotel probably spiked his dinner.

thecorner
15/06/2003, 7:56 AM
a player got booed
big deal lads
ud swear a member of ur family died with the way ye r going on
get over it lads
dont be losing sleep over it

Real ale Madrid
15/06/2003, 4:38 PM
a player got booed
big deal lads
ud swear a member of ur family died with the way ye r going on
get over it lads
dont be losing sleep over it

It is a big deal. Bigots have no place at lansdowne road.

tiktok
15/06/2003, 6:14 PM
yeah, it is a big deal, a player got booed for no reason, it's not like he commited a bad foul, gestured to the crowd or was time wasting by his first touch, which you can accept.

i don't want these idiots at games, what comes next, booing national anthems, chucking coins at players taking corners. when irish fans go abroad they are invariably welcome where they land, if these idiots get a stranglehold on how we conduct ourselves at home, the reputation we have abroad is gone.

remember uefa have observers at every game who report on things like the fans, watch for racism, religious bigotry (which is what this booing is) etc. we could end up with a bad reputation and then come the fines.

it's easy to clean up too, england have sorted themselves out at home in two games, all it took was requests by the players and media coverage of the effort by the FA. in the last two games they've had no booing of the national anthem, no pitch invasions at goals, no racist chanting, but it took a uefa fine and disgusting anti-turk bigotry to wake them up.

what's it going to take to wake us up?

pete
16/06/2003, 1:17 PM
The booing of Glasgow Rangers players at Ireland international games has to be one of the sadest sights in recent years.

I think now that Rooney & the FAI have made known thats its unacceptable it can be stamped out fairly easily. All they have to do is make it known that people will be ejected from the ground for any sectarian abuse & i think people will think twice in future. Theres certainly enough stewards to enforce it. If Brian Kerr was to come out & stand against it would also shut people up quickely.

niamh
16/06/2003, 3:12 PM
now that would be something. throwing them out would at least show people that the behaviour is unacceptable.

look at the foreign leagues and what they are trying to do to stop racism - same sort of thing.

sadloserkid
16/06/2003, 3:16 PM
I know it's not how things are done but if for arguments sake Colin Healy walked off when the booing had started I bet it wouldn't last that long! Now there's an idea (even though I can't take credit for it!)
:)

thecorner
16/06/2003, 3:46 PM
if a player from dublin said he would luv to scxore the winner against city for all the dublin fans would the city fans refrain from booing him
I DONT THNK SO

GET OVER IT LADS, HE GOT BOOED, ISNT THE FIRST AND CERTAINLY WONT BE THE LAST

Ref
16/06/2003, 3:52 PM
if a player from dublin said he would luv to scxore the winner against city for all the dublin fans would the city fans refrain from booing him I DONT THNK SO

ah come off it, thats completely different!!

have you not read any of the previous three pages?

did 'kick bigotry out' not register somewhere with you??

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pete
16/06/2003, 5:10 PM
I doubt very much everyone who was booing had read about Aveladzes comments in the media prior to the match. Anyway how does that excuse the similar actions at the Denmark & Norway games?

More than anything else the booing is embarishing & so very very sad.

tiktok
16/06/2003, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by pete
I doubt very much everyone who was booing had read about Aveladzes comments in the media prior to the match. Anyway how does that excuse the similar actions at the Denmark & Norway games?

great point. this has already turned into a trend and won't stop unless action is taken. thecorner's post was the first time i'd even heard mention of any comments attributed to averladze by the way, so i don't think it was widely known.

Colm
16/06/2003, 5:23 PM
Originally posted by pete

More than anything else the booing is embarishing & so very very sad.

Yeah totally agree Pete, it makes me cringe with embarassment every time it happens. Our games are being broadcast across Europe on Sky so imagine what a lot of people must think of us, it makes us come across as a bunch of small minded, no-brained idiots.

Corner, the booing has nothing to do with the players comments and I think you know that but you are, for some strange reason, trying to justify the unjustifiable. The people booing are idiots, I'd say it is a tiny number of people behind it and that kids and sad wannabe republicans join in and it comes across as if far more people are doing it.

It has now happened against Georgia, Norway, Denmark (when they booed the wrong player:rolleyes: ) and the USA. It is something which has got to be stamped out.