PDA

View Full Version : moronic booing at Lansdowne

Pages : 1 [2]

Estar
16/06/2003, 5:08 PM
Sport is sport:(

It's nasty having such baboon's supporting Ireland.

Education is the only way forward:ball:

pineapple stu
16/06/2003, 5:49 PM
Think it'll be a while before any Rangers player comes to Lansdowne again though - there used to be an Australian with Rangers, but he went to Wolves I think. Russia don't have any, though I stand corrected on that. That'll bring us on to next year's friendlies before this comes up again - hope it doesn't get buried with the time gap...:(

Another thing this affects is Ireland's chances of getting into Europe via the Fair Play award - respect of the crowd for opposition players is one of UEFA's criteria for deciding the winner of the European fair play table. Probably didn't make a huge difference at the end of the day (i.e. probably didn't do Cork out of a place in Europe this season), but it's not the sort of thing to let grow.

sadloserkid
16/06/2003, 5:52 PM
Kevin Muscat I believe is the player now with Wolves. They'll boo him too, mark my words! And isn't Craig Moore from Oz as well?

tiktok
16/06/2003, 6:06 PM
yeah,

muscat and moore will probably get a booing too unless the fai get off their behinds and ask a few of the players and public officials to come out against it.

start with bonner and healy and break the link between the booing and celtic first.

thecorner
17/06/2003, 8:50 PM
if they cant take the booing, maybe they should consider a career like nursing or some other womans thing

Real ale Madrid
17/06/2003, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
if they cant take the booing, maybe they should consider a career like nursing or some other womans thing

Now you are only trying to wind people up with a comment like that!

thecorner
18/06/2003, 12:53 AM
no im not
fans pay good money
they r entitled to boo a player

sadloserkid
18/06/2003, 8:23 AM
nursing or some other womans thing

Very mature... Sexist as well are we? :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm not a nurse! :D

drummer boy
18/06/2003, 11:27 AM
there is nothing that can be done about it. its all part of the game. i also feel its stupid and embarrising. but at least we know that its not EL fans that are booing its the so called CELTIC fans, ya know that team that is as irish as we are and if thats not sarcasim i dont know what is.

tiktok
18/06/2003, 6:19 PM
no im not
fans pay good money

:rolleyes: come off it, by that rationale, they're entitled to boo while the national anthem is being played. they're entitled to crap on the seat (that they paid good money for), they're entitled to burn the irish flag the child in front is holding (he was waving it and blocking my view, i paid good money...blah blah).

there's a difference between booing a player because he's dirty and just broke someones leg in a tackle and because he worships a different deity to idiot celtic fans (which in arveladze's case he doesn't, he got booed at rangers for blessing himself coming on the field, what does he have to do!)

anyone that boos a player solely because he plays with a team that is predominantly associated with a religion is a Bigot , pure and simple and they should be turfed out of the ground.

SÓC
18/06/2003, 6:27 PM
Sad is the only word for them.

These same people were so shocked when Neil Lennon was booed.

Should have a look at the letters to the Sports Editior in the Examiner Arena Section today, sad petty little people.

Real ale Madrid
18/06/2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by drummer boy
there is nothing that can be done about it. its all part of the game. i also feel its stupid and embarrising. but at least we know that its not EL fans that are booing its the so called CELTIC fans, ya know that team that is as irish as we are and if thats not sarcasim i dont know what is.

The corner is an eL fan.

pineapple stu
18/06/2003, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Kevin Muscat I believe is the player now with Wolves. They'll boo him too, mark my words! And isn't Craig Moore from Oz as well?

Doh, forgot about that...:(

Another stupid comment in the letters page in the Irish Times yesterday - I paid into the ground so I'm entitled to boo who I want, citing free speech as his reason. There has to be a limitation to free speech and free action - you can have it, but only if you're responsible with it. The US is the worst for abusing it - the country and its people seem to think they can do what they want because they want to (invade countries, own guns, etc.) Free speech is only available if it's not abused, and booing someone for the sole reason that he plays/played with a team with Protestant associations is an abuse of free speech and should be stopped.

tiktok
18/06/2003, 6:58 PM
spot on pineapple stu,

the freedom of speech does not cover religious bigotry (in the same way it doesn't cover racist abuse, incitement to hatred or incitement to riot, which are criminal offences) and people who try and pull that stroke are trying to twist well intentioned liberal law for what is the polar opposite of those laws original intention, the protection of the individual and individual liberties.

pineapple stu
19/06/2003, 6:16 PM
One last point which mightbe of interest -

There was a "Do what you feel" day in one episode of the Simpsons. The idea was that everyone could do what they wanted because they wanted to. The result was that the town very quickly ended up losing all sense of civilisation and ended up beating first each other up, and then chasing after Bart to beat him up. All because they did what they wanted without any consideration for the effects of it.

It may only be a cartoon, but surely it serves to highlight what can happen if everybody takes free speech to the extreme?

thecorner
19/06/2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
One last point which mightbe of interest -

There was a "Do what you feel" day in one episode of the Simpsons. The idea was that everyone could do what they wanted because they wanted to. The result was that the town very quickly ended up losing all sense of civilisation and ended up beating first each other up, and then chasing after Bart to beat him up. All because they did what they wanted without any consideration for the effects of it.

It may only be a cartoon, but surely it serves to highlight what can happen if everybody takes free speech to the extreme?

comparing the el to the simpsons

sadloserkid
20/06/2003, 8:28 AM
comparing the el to the simpsons

What's your point? Given that the Simpsons is social commentary on real life it makes sense.

Besides this thread isn't even about the eL!!!!! :rolleyes:

Celtic and Rangers are Scottish you know? :p

thecorner
20/06/2003, 7:14 PM
sadloserkid

how come you havent been stabbed yet:confused: :confused:

tiktok
20/06/2003, 9:40 PM
sounds to me like you've run out of arguments for bigotry thecorner.

and just because the simpsons is a cartoon doesn't mean the team of writers behind it don't have a social conscience and the desire to occasionally use their medium to make a statement on the state of the world.

Éanna
21/06/2003, 10:38 AM
no im not
fans pay good money
I have no problem with booing, once there's a reason for it. I'd love to follow the approach of eastern european fans who boo every opposition player and really intimidate them. But this rubbish of booing a fella just cos of the club he plays for is stupid- wy aren't we booing harte and kelly for playing for leeds, or o'shea for playing for man utd? I mean come on like Why don't we boo richard dunne, cos some man city fans support rangers?! It's rubbish, perpetrated by barstoll jockey fools and it makes me sick.

sadloserkid
24/06/2003, 11:36 AM
sadloserkid

how come you havent been stabbed yet:confused: :confused:

Because I'm not as prone to talking rubbish as you I'd imagine? :)

thecorner
24/06/2003, 6:13 PM
thats surprising cos all uve talked on in this topic is rubbish

tiktok
24/06/2003, 9:28 PM
thats surprising cos all uve talked on in this topic is rubbish

pot...kettle...black
(do i need to remind you of your nurses comment).;)