PDA

View Full Version : Article on Bulgaria's Coach...

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 1:22 PM
..and how he was selected, with Venables figuring prominantly.

My security settings don't allow me to open at work, but I read the article elsewhere.

Link here: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/15/process_of_elimination_undermi.html

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 1:40 PM
Interesting article alright, it sounds as if they're going through a similar period to us.

And it seems they've hired their version of Mick McCarthy:

Plamen Markov was the last man to lead Bulgaria to the finals of a major tournament - Euro 2004, when they were eliminated in the group stages - but when he was confirmed as national coach for the second time last Friday, the general reaction was one of disappointment.

He is intelligent and cultured, certainly, but also has a reputation for conservatism and defensiveness, and he is loyal to the point of stubbornness.

DotTV
15/01/2008, 2:06 PM
"Italy are obvious favourites, and if the presence of Montenegro means there is no absolute minnow, a group that includes the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Georgia is far from daunting. "

This is generally how we are viewed now. None of those teams will fear us.
It's time to step up to the plate, bigtime!

carloz
15/01/2008, 2:08 PM
That should be an eye opener to us indeed. We are viewed on a similar level to Georgia and Cyrpus. And if you were Bulgarian you could fully understand them thinking that. Would you really fear Ireland given our results in particular in the last campaign

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 2:11 PM
None of those teams will fear us.

On some level that may be a good thing.

If anything in the past couple of campaigns I've felt that the big teams always took matches with us very seriously, and considered us a threat, when maybe that wasn't really the case.

I'd rather Bulgaria think we were **** than hard to beat, we all saw how dangerous that attitude can be last campaign when we didn't give Cyprus the respect they deserved.

paul_oshea
15/01/2008, 2:16 PM
sorry to digress lads from this point, but did ye find it extremely difficult to see the green text in that article, or did ye just stumble over it like i did with the cursor? Why have a link there if ye cant see it, if ye dont want something to stand out from the text because of colour why not use underlining then?!

agreed IrishFan, but it wasnt hte bulgaria coach who said that, it was the writer of the blog. He was far more astute than that, "anybody can come second bar italy"....

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 2:18 PM
The flipside of course is that if we're at our best we can beat them too.

We have 10 games to play. In all but 2 of these I'd say we are at least marginal favourites. Learning to win ugly may be necessary. A goal from a corner or a free and a dogged clean sheet like in Lithuania all those years ago.

paul_oshea
15/01/2008, 2:20 PM
A goal from a corner or a free and a dogged clean sheet like in Lithuania all those years ago.

exactly....

tetsujin1979
15/01/2008, 2:26 PM
will the February 2009 game not conflict with the 6 Nations? Or at least be on around the same time? The pitch could be in an awful state!

elroy
15/01/2008, 2:33 PM
At worst there will have been only one game in Croker. I think Ireland are starting the six nations at home this year and it usually alternates so should be away for the first game next year which means there wont have been any games in croker before our game.

shakermaker1982
15/01/2008, 2:51 PM
Ireland have 3 home games in the 6N this season so it's very likely that they will only play twice next year (England and France). Pitch should be fine that early in Feb. 1 game max of rugby like Elroy points out.

CJTheGull
15/01/2008, 3:17 PM
"Learning to win ugly may be necessary. A goal from a corner or a free and a dogged clean sheet like in Lithuania all those years ago."

Damn bloody right. It's about time there was a bit of steel in our team espically away from home - none of our group games will be easy - we should go on the away trips realising they have as much impact as the home games in our attempts to qualify - draws with the likes of Slovakia and Wales are just not good enough. We deserve better.

And Terry Venables is not the man to do it. :p

Block G Raptor
15/01/2008, 3:23 PM
I've got a really good feelin' about this campaign, Don't know why but really think we can do it, with the right manager, Dunne as skipper, some great talent coming through, Italy rebuilding after the world cup, Bulgaria blooding a new manager. It's there for the taking if the lads get themselves up for it especially away from croker

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 3:27 PM
I've got a really good feelin' about this campaign, Don't know why but really think we can do it, with the right manager, Dunne as skipper, some great talent coming through, Italy rebuilding after the world cup, Bulgaria blooding a new manager. It's there for the taking if the lads get themselves up for it especially away from croker

Hate to be picky, but he's managed them before and brought them to a major championship.

As I said above, he looks to be their version of Mick McCarthy.

Block G Raptor
15/01/2008, 3:31 PM
Hate to be picky, but he's managed them before and brought them to a major championship.

As I said above, he looks to be their version of Mick McCarthy.

I know and I wouldn't have mcCarthy back in a million years, could be the same for the Bulgarians, ie a step back

Torn-Ado
15/01/2008, 3:32 PM
We simply don't have an enforcer to go to these places and win. Leadership in the middle of the park is neccessary and we don't have it.

Drumcondra 69er
15/01/2008, 4:01 PM
I think that's the casual view on Ireland

For Bulgarians that know what they're talking about they'd know that our frontman is their star striker's captain. We have the best defender in the EPL in our ranks as well as one of the great Keepers in the world. Not to mention the Duffer.

Italy shouldn't fear us, Bulgaria should be very, very afraid. In terms of talent they're underdogs.
Even the Ireland in recent times have never accepted underdog status. They've always gone into every game even away to Germany and the Czechs with the expectation to get something out of it.

You think?? Martin Petrov would walk into our team and so would Stillian Petrov despite his lack of form at Villa. Berbatov is interesting the likes of Man U in a way that Keane hasn't interested any of the top 4 and no Irish player has since Chelsea came in for Duffer and he's gone backwards since then. And that's only looking at their english based players. You can't write them off the way you're doing....

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 5:21 PM
I think Martin Petrov is very good but our wide players are good too. Keane's recent form has been criminally understated by SKY and the print media, but Berbatov is the glamour player and that's the way it is. Fine player of course but I'm sure Richie Dunne would relish facing him.

By and large I'm sure we can match them / better them in many areas but, as said above, we don't have anyone who can get a grip on midfield. Petrov isn't the player he looked up at Celtic but he'd walk into our team in that position. It's our lack of steel in midfield that makes so many of these games "marginal games". With a midfielder anything like the quality we have had down the years, someone with a genuine presence (Giles, Brady, Keane, Whelan, Lawrenson...) then we'd be clear favourites for second.

Kingdom
15/01/2008, 5:37 PM
Indeed. The key to this campaign is getting a manager capable of fixing our weakness, midfield. In theory that should be simple finding someone to work in tandem with Carsley in the middle, and perhaps the Duffer on the right.
In short finding a system to suit our players. Could a traditional British manager do this? Of those touted I don't believe so but a continental could I've no doubt.

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 5:49 PM
For Bulgarians that know what they're talking about they'd know that our frontman is their star striker's captain. We have the best defender in the EPL in our ranks as well as one of the great Keepers in the world. Not to mention the Duffer.

If given the option I'd trade Keane and Duff for Berbatov and Martin Petrov, no question.

There's no doubting Keane's ability, but we need a physical, aerial presence.

No manager in their right mind would choose Duff over Petrov at this point.

I'm not denying Duff has class, and the ability to deliver a killer cross, but his utter lack of pace now has really taken him from a great player to a good player.

Basically his only weapon is the ability to cross, and we don't have any big men in the box for him to hit it to, making him a bit useless.

Bungle
15/01/2008, 9:03 PM
To be honest, I can't say I know too much about Bulgaria's new manager, but the fact that he is considered stubborn and conservative may be a blessing. Berbatov comes across as a prima donna and there could be a personality clash between them. Also, I believe this could be a group where there are alot of draws. If he is conservative, then you would hope that Bulgaria could drop points to Cyprus, Georgia and Montenegro.

On the subject of Duff, I believe he is past it. He is living on his reputation right now. Even if he did put in great performances for Newcastle until the rest of the season, what are the odds on him being injured pre-season. He's an Irish version of Michael Owen.

Right now, we simply have to go with Hunty. A very good player with the heart of the lion who would take a bullet for Ireland.

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 9:37 PM
Right now, we simply have to go with Hunty. A very good player with the heart of the lion who would take a bullet for Ireland.

No arguments here.

kingdomkerry
15/01/2008, 10:01 PM
What about Stephen Reid.

Ireland Reid Carsley Duff/McGeady/Hunt

Thats not a bad midfield

Indeed. The key to this campaign is getting a manager capable of fixing our weakness, midfield. In theory that should be simple finding someone to work in tandem with Carsley in the middle, and perhaps the Duffer on the right.
In short finding a system to suit our players. Could a traditional British manager do this? Of those touted I don't believe so but a continental could I've no doubt.

kingdomkerry
15/01/2008, 10:07 PM
If given the option I'd trade Keane and Duff for Berbatov and Martin Petrov, no question.

There's no doubting Keane's ability, but we need a physical, aerial presence.

No manager in their right mind would choose Duff over Petrov at this point.

I'm not denying Duff has class, and the ability to deliver a killer cross, but his utter lack of pace now has really taken him from a great player to a good player.

Basically his only weapon is the ability to cross, and we don't have any big men in the box for him to hit it to, making him a bit useless.

Nothing wrong with low crosses in between the on rushing striker and the goal keeper. Also Doyle is very good in the air.

Central Midfield is the main problem IMO. Stephen Reid will do a job but Carsley is gettting on a bit.

How is Gibson doing at Wolves? Garvan?

irishfan86
15/01/2008, 10:21 PM
How is Gibson doing at Wolves? Garvan?

Gibson is being used primarily as a winger for Wolves, and isn't performing well there. But he's being played out of position so I don't blame him, I blame McCarthy.

Garvan is a regular starter at Ipswich and is one of their key players.

eirebhoy
15/01/2008, 10:29 PM
What about Stephen Reid.

Ireland Reid Carsley Duff/McGeady/Hunt

Thats not a bad midfield

It's lacking too much of an Andy Reid. ;) Seriously though, Croatia outclassing England has really shown how lacking the British style of football is these days. That midfield is just a poor version of England's. Andy Reid would change that imo because he's a proper playmaker which is what England really lacked.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2008, 8:22 AM
The Carsley / Reid combo did very well at home to Germany. Reid makes up for his lack of height & athleticism by having a quick brain and quick feet.

I can see Garvan featuring in the second half of the campaign. Personally the first 5 games are each individually so important I'd take no chances with youth unless we have to.

Block G Raptor
16/01/2008, 8:57 AM
Could Richie Dunne play as a defensive central midfielder? has he played here for his club's at all?
could be the "ball winner" we need in the middle?

Stuttgart88
16/01/2008, 9:04 AM
Now, now BGR, that's Staunton-speak. Dunne is arguably the most in form player we have and to consider playing him anywhere other than CB would be criminal. If anyone of our defenders has the attributes to play a defensive midfield role it's O'Shea but, despite not being as bad there as many here have made out in my opinion, I think he's been found lacking in midfield.

It's not just a "ball winner" we need it's someone who knows what to do with it once he wins it too, someone with a midfielder's awareness and instinct. In fact "ball winning" itself isn't so much the crucial part, mainly the presence to stop the opposition using the ball creatively.

In any event I don't think Dunne has ever played anywhere other than CB or FB.

tetsujin1979
16/01/2008, 9:39 AM
Dunne played at right wing-back under Keegan once against Arsenal. The Gunners were 4 up at half time and he was promptly substituted for Shaun Wright-Phillips. He played at left full against Greece for Ireland under Don Givens between Mick and Kerr's reigns. Other than that I've only ever seen him play at right full and centre half.
Almost certain he hasn't played anywhere other than centre half for City in the last 3 years

irishfan86
16/01/2008, 5:48 PM
The manager who moves Dunne from centre half should never be let near a touchline again.

Torn-Ado
16/01/2008, 11:21 PM
Carsley should never put on the green jersey again. He's finished God love him.The last campaign he was the ball boys worst nightmare, having to retrieve all them balls from the upper tiers of the stands.

I hear all this talk about him being a holding midefielder and I cringe. He was so outclassed in the last campaign, even I was embarrassed for him and I am fairly unrepentant in my views. Time to look to the future I think.

irishfan86
16/01/2008, 11:27 PM
Carsley should never put on the green jersey again. He's finished God love him.The last campaign he was the ball boys worst nightmare, having to retrieve all them balls from the upper tiers of the stands.

I hear all this talk about him being a holding midefielder and I cringe. He was so outclassed in the last campaign, even I was embarrassed for him and I am fairly unrepentant in my views. Time to look to the future I think.

We don't have the depth to dismiss him so easily.

He is an absolutely vital part of a very successful Everton squad, and when used effectively can be very useful.

In addition, we have a fairly young squad, and we need all of the regularly playing top flight veterans we can get.

Torn-Ado
16/01/2008, 11:34 PM
We don't have the depth to dismiss him so easily.

He is an absolutely vital part of a very successful Everton squad, and when used effectively can be very useful.

In addition, we have a fairly young squad, and we need all of the regularly playing top flight veterans we can get.

We said the exact same last year. He was playing great for Everton and we took him back. Then he proceeded to hoof every ball that came his way into oblivion. The guy is simply finished at this level.

I'd be willing to take my chances with two younger lads who are more mobile and have the presence to do a defensive job aswell as be creative in midfield.

shaneker
16/01/2008, 11:45 PM
Whoever said we would be favorites in both games against Bulgaria, forget it. Look what they did in Euro 2008 qualifiying in Holland's group. Then look at what we did in our last group. We are going to need to play as well as we have done in 6 years to beat them.

Morbo
17/01/2008, 9:08 AM
The flipside of course is that if we're at our best we can beat them too.

We have 10 games to play. In all but 2 of these I'd say we are at least marginal favourites. Learning to win ugly may be necessary. A goal from a corner or a free and a dogged clean sheet like in Lithuania all those years ago.

Which 2? I'd say there is 3 games where we aren't favourites, the 2 Italy games and the Bulgaria away game

Morbo
17/01/2008, 9:34 AM
Could Richie Dunne play as a defensive central midfielder? has he played here for his club's at all?
could be the "ball winner" we need in the middle?
I'd only consider that if we had 2 other very good CB's, playing Dunne in central midfield would probably improve our midfield slightly but we would be an awfully lot weaker in defense so the cons definitely outweight the pros here I think

Stuttgart88
17/01/2008, 9:49 AM
Which 2? I'd say there is 3 games where we aren't favourites, the 2 Italy games and the Bulgaria away gameTrue, the point still stands though...

geysir
17/01/2008, 3:34 PM
The only way we will gain away victories is if the defenders are aware that the manager is allowed a shoot to kill policy against the culpable who give away goals/penalties in the last 5 minutes.