PDA

View Full Version : Friday or Saturday nights?

feo123
14/01/2008, 9:21 PM
I have to get days off work for the first few away matches so i have to request them in advance....and its first come first served if ye know what i mean, so i want to hand in my requests as soon a i can incase someone else wants the same days off...so do any of ye know if ye will be playing ye're home games on a saturday night...more so cobh and finn harps....the rest will more than likely be friday!? i was going to just ask for every friday in march off because its only upto March i can request off as holidays at the minute, but was thinking the odd team might have saturday games like ourselves :o

A face
14/01/2008, 9:24 PM
Its a bit of a dose alright. I would love to see a situation where all clubs played on one night and one televised game was played on the other night.

Paddyfield
14/01/2008, 9:39 PM
Galway United tried Saturday nights for a few seasons but an experiment with Friday nights brought bigger crowds. The big problem with Fridays [let's not mention Thursdays!] is that they restrict the amount of visiting fans who can travel.

I'm surprised no club has tried Sunday nights because there is never anything to do on a Sunday night.

DmanDmythDledge
14/01/2008, 9:44 PM
Finn Harps played Friday nights last season. I think yourselves and Cobh are the only teams playing on a Saturday night next season.

DRDoc
14/01/2008, 9:46 PM
I also think Sunday nights or Sunday 3pm should be tried by someone

DRDoc
14/01/2008, 9:47 PM
I see in the First Division Kildare have changed to Fridays

Longford sticking to Saturdays

neutrino
14/01/2008, 10:11 PM
Its a bit of a dose alright. I would love to see a situation where all clubs played on one night and one televised game was played on the other night.

I think this is exactly the way it should be for effective promotion of the league. too many nights used to play 1 round of games.

The Man Himself
14/01/2008, 10:20 PM
all games should kick off on a friday night at 6.30 and one live game should be showing on the same night with an 8.30 kick off.
just enough time to watch your team and then scatter to the pub to watch the live game.

mypost
14/01/2008, 10:31 PM
all games should kick off on a friday night at 6.30 and one live game should be showing on the same night with an 8.30 kick off.

:eek:

6.30pm Friday!! :D Do you want to obliterate the attendance by 80-90%?? :confused:

8.25pm: "This is a Public Safety announcement: Will the (few) visiting supporters in Section X, please stay behind for 15 minutes after the game, as we want you to miss the start of the crucial mid-table six-pointer between Galway and Cobh"

8.30ko's on Saturdays will drag people off their armchairs, with fall else on. Any earlier, and they'll more probably stay at home.

gilberto_eire
14/01/2008, 10:41 PM
:eek:

6.30pm Friday!! :D Do you want to obliterate the attendance by 80-90%??

8.25pm: "This is a Public Safety announcement: Will the (few) visiting supporters in Section X, please stay behind for 15 minutes after the game, as we want you to miss the start of the crucial mid-table six-pointer between Galway and Cobh"

8.30ko's on Saturdays will drag people off their armchairs, with fall else on. Any earlier, and they'll more probably stay at home.

in all fairness you been a bit OTT.... Cobh dont have a hope of been involved in a mid-table clash...:D

feo123
15/01/2008, 1:07 AM
did cobh play a few games in the afternoon on saturdays last year too? was there a problem with lights or something

BrayUnknowns
15/01/2008, 8:52 AM
I also think Sunday nights or Sunday 3pm should be tried by someone

We used to play our home games on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm for a few seasons but crowds were shocking.

dublinred
15/01/2008, 9:14 AM
I think friday/saturday nights are fine but don't think the RTE should be allowed show the premirtship until after 9.30 as it competes directly with the live game , surprised the FAI didn't pick up on this when negotiating the recent contract.Its ironic that Sky paid for floodlights so clubs could move away from sunday afternoons and then RTE re-arrange the premiership highligts to clash , could start a riot here but why do RTE bother wasting money covering the premiership when it done anyway on match of the day.

Marco
15/01/2008, 9:21 AM
We are staying with saturday nights unless we are asked to haave a tellly game. Also this will be handy for away fans travel etc.

Mr A
15/01/2008, 9:41 AM
Harps will be sticking with Friday nights this season. I was really hoping we'd go back to Saturdays.

Les Fluer
15/01/2008, 10:16 AM
did cobh play a few games in the afternoon on saturdays last year too? was there a problem with lights or something

Yes, but that was due to an arrangement with both Dundalk and Monaghan. The majority were played Saturday night.

luka
15/01/2008, 10:31 AM
Far as I know Cobh home games are Saturday nights

holidaysong
15/01/2008, 3:40 PM
Thursday. :)

KianD
15/01/2008, 3:43 PM
Friday nights mean a half day off work for me, if I can attend at all. Saturday means bye bye non-football social life though...

Paddyfield
15/01/2008, 3:50 PM

That was Sligo. They pulled down their old lights a few months before the new ones were delivered.

The Man Himself
15/01/2008, 4:16 PM
just bring back winter football on a sunday afternoon, simple as.

Soper
15/01/2008, 4:20 PM
Yuck. That would be horrible.

I hate daytime football. Saturday night, be it Summer or Winter, is perfect.

oldyouth
15/01/2008, 4:59 PM
The problem, as always in a GAA area, is finding a balance between their schedule and hitting peak social time (Friday & Saturday nights) as well as avoiding English games on TV. A lot of Youths home games were eventually moved to Fridays at 6.30pm. You'll never find a perfect time to attract the casual attendee and the die hard will always be there whenever it is. Personally, I love a floodlight game.

mypost
16/01/2008, 4:15 AM
Saturday means bye bye non-football social life though...

I believe there's 6 other nights in the week to go for a pis-up...

KianD
16/01/2008, 9:13 AM
I believe there's 6 other nights in the week to go for a pis-up...

5 of which I'm in work at 9am after, and 1 of which nobody I know bothers going out on anymore.

oldyouth
16/01/2008, 12:39 PM
My point about fitting in KO times around the peak **** up/social times is not directed at the true fan. It is done to accomodate unsympathetic partners who don't understand why we would rather be at the footie than at a chick flick with them.

steno
16/01/2008, 12:43 PM
Kildare County will be playing their home games on a Friday night for the coming season hopefully the crowds might go up a bit as well.

Magicme
16/01/2008, 4:32 PM
We used to play sunday afternoons but alot of people like to spend family time and with shops open on Sundays now it is often the time for getting that new suite of furniture or the kids shoes.

Saturday nights have too much competition with social life etc.

So Friday nights again for the Mons. Sorry Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny etc but they dont bring enough away fans to warrant a change.

Keen2win
16/01/2008, 4:37 PM
Saturday night please!

don ramo
16/01/2008, 6:03 PM
we will be playin on saturdays no meetin schedulaed to say otherwise, we tried fridays a few years ago didnt work so we went back to saturdays, last year we played on saturday or sunday afternoon to accomodate harps, mons and dundalk, and they also moved there home games to accomodate us (up to dundalk thursday night i dont think so:mad::D),

i agree night games are best cant beat the old floodlights,

if you have a bar in your ground, saturday is ideal, if you show some EPL games at 5 or so, and a few barstoolers sometime make there way into the ground after the game,

The Man Himself
16/01/2008, 6:49 PM
Saturday night please!

just because theres feck all else to do in longford on a saturday night :D

Cabs88
16/01/2008, 6:51 PM
Thursday. :)

Are Dundalk playin thursday nights again this year?!

I remeber when monaghan were last in the premier division, playin up there on a sunday, decent idea, but with premiership football being shown on the tv at the same time, thats were most of the crowds were!

Sundays in an ideal (or winter football) world would be ideal, but with the gaa on every sunday, its just not viable. Saturdays always worked well down here, as a lot of people are only returnin home on friday evenings.

A regulated match day, where everyone sticks to and 1 live match would leave it all lot better for people to get off work etc. if they knew, more often than not they'd be playin on a specific day

Rovers fan
16/01/2008, 8:03 PM
That was Sligo. They pulled down their old lights a few months before the new ones were delivered.

Eh i think feo already knew that considering the fact that he supports sligo rovers!

Neish
16/01/2008, 8:54 PM
Think the majority of games should be Saturday night/afternoon or Sunday afternoon(Friday's ok for local derbies). Most people off Saturday & Sunday which would give time to get to games without having to take time off work.Also think all clubs should play at least a few home games on saturday or sunday afternoon allowing parents to take Kids to games withot having them out late.

As for people complaining about games eating into their social life, IMO if your not prepared to sacrifice an hour or two of your pub time to go watch your local team you ain't a proper fan.

holidaysong
17/01/2008, 2:09 PM
Are Dundalk playin thursday nights again this year?!

I would assume so. :confused:

dortie
17/01/2008, 6:41 PM
Id prefer a Saturday afternoon myself, Fridays are fine for home games, but if your looking to travel, taking half days on a Friday to travel to Dublin in particular takes its toll.

Keen2win
17/01/2008, 6:45 PM
just because theres feck all else to do in longford on a saturday night :D

True:D;)

Raheny Red
17/01/2008, 6:45 PM
Id prefer a Saturday afternoon myself, Fridays are fine for home games, but if your looking to travel, taking half days on a Friday to travel to Dublin in particular takes its toll.

Agreed 100%. The fact that games will be clashing with the English game won't make a difference, the only problem in my eyes would be the possibility of games clashing with junior and schoolboy football.

micls
17/01/2008, 6:47 PM

Especially for our away trip to ye......tough to get the day off. Saturday would be handy

deecay
17/01/2008, 7:31 PM
SATURDAY

dortie
17/01/2008, 7:54 PM
Especially for our away trip to ye......tough to get the day off. Saturday would be handy

Corks a whole different ball game, its usually two nights of pure drunkeness and whatever else in my case. Went on a Friday few years back didnt get home to Monday. :confused:

Better you played on a Monday for my healths sake.

Martinho II
17/01/2008, 8:38 PM
SATURDAY

great news about dundalk switchin to sat nites! rem goin up there six years ago for thurs nite games!!!:)

Longfordian
17/01/2008, 8:42 PM
great news about dundalk switchin to sat nites! rem goin up there six years ago for thurs nite games!!!:)

Eh? That's a Sligo fan you're quoting Martin! Dundalk still Thursdays apparently

mypost
17/01/2008, 8:49 PM
5 of which I'm in work at 9am after, and 1 of which nobody I know bothers going out on anymore.

So why don't you start going out on it then?

KianD
17/01/2008, 8:59 PM
So why don't you start going out on it then?

I'm not quite a sad enough fecker to go out drinking on me own. In a half empty pub...