PDA

View Full Version : How well do you know alcohol?

osarusan
14/01/2008, 3:19 PM
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7187577.stm)

Researchers at the California Institute of Technology have shown that a person's enjoyment of wine can be heightened if they are simply told that it is an expensive one.

So the test subjects were fooled by the price into identifying qualities in the wine that actually weren't there.

We've all seen wine experts go on about "the smell of fresh hay in summer" or some similar rubbish (I say "rubbish", as I know nothing about wine).

I remember I was home from Japan 3 years ago on holiday, and I did a blind taste test of 4 Japanese beers with my father and brother.

Ebisu - the king of Japanese beers, and the most expensive.
Kirin Ichiban Shibori - a well-respected beer.
Kirin Happoshu - happoshu is a kind of fake beer that contains a malt substitute, in this case rice extract.
Draft One - another happoshu, this is the cheapest muck known to man, made primarily of yellow peas.

(In Japan, substituting malt for another substance is common as beers are classified, and subsequently taxed, based on malt content).

I was surprised to see both my father and brother immediately identify the bottom two as being terrible. The did rank the top two differently, but even here in Japan, the debate as to which one is better rages on.

We all talk about how certain beers, wines, whiskeys are better than others, the taste, texture etc, but, when it comes to the quality of the alcohol you drink, do you really know what you are talking about?

paul_oshea
14/01/2008, 3:22 PM
read that this morning, have to say, id be very much of the persuasion that is the case with most people who go on chatting sh1te about wine.

My father goes twice yearly to France, wouldn't say he is a connoisseur, but he likes his wines and spends a few days looking at what ones to get etc,
brings back around 100 - 200 bottles everytime and he says the cheap stuff over there is as nice as the more expensive stuff in Ireland and the taste is no different at all.

Just ppl trying to make something out of something that clearly isnt.....

kingdom hoop
15/01/2008, 12:53 AM
London, Monday; Mr. Uneducated Palate 2008, Paul O'Shea, blasts perceived differences in wine tastes, claiming "it is all a grand hoax, the Merlot and Chardonnay families have foisted this notion on an unsuspecting public for centuries now, they've got rich off the back of claiming to be different when, really, they are the exact same. I'm just plain sick of it." O'Shea continued his stinging rebuke of wine culture with a scathing dismissal of the craft of sommeliers, whom he brandished, "the lowest form of swindlers, a scourge on society. The world must some day wake up to this horrible fraud and then, finally, I'll be shown to have been right all along," he angrily whined. (Onion Network News)

noby
15/01/2008, 7:15 AM
Paul, you could also argue that the cheap stuff over there is the same wine as the more expensive stuff in Ireland. In general, although there are obviously exceptions, quality and price do seem to go together, so to bundle a bunch of non-tasting experts together it was always likely that the price would play a major role in their decision making. As the article said, an expert wouldn't be fooled, and would probably give you the correct price range.

Interesting to see the results of your experiment. Might I presume that your family enjoy, as in appreciate, a good quality beer? A lot of people I know, given that test, would pick the one that tastes most like Bud.

but, when it comes to the quality of the alcohol you drink, do you really know what you are talking about?

Without being too cocky, yes, I do. Beer being my particular area of expertise.

osarusan
15/01/2008, 7:25 AM
As the article said, an expert wouldn't be fooled, and would probably give you the correct price range.

I wouldn't be too sure. I remember reading about a whiskey tasting test, where half the experts were told what each whiskey was before they sampled the whiskey. They rated Scotches as the highest, and generally followed the common ideas on which whiskeys were the best.

The other half were served the same whiskeys without being told anything, and left to decide on taste only. Their results were quite different from the first group, with non-Scotch consistently rated highly.

A lot of people I know, given that test, would pick the one that tastes most like Bud.

that would be a urine test.

noby
15/01/2008, 7:32 AM
Possibly. Although it must be said, in terms of quality Bud is right up there, consistently turning out a beer that is very delicately flavoured, where the flavour, colour, mouthfeel, hopping rates etc. never alter in the slightest. It's just that what they do produce isn't up to much.

paul_oshea
15/01/2008, 7:48 AM
Paul, you could also argue that the cheap stuff over there is the same wine as the more expensive stuff in Ireland. In general, although there are obviously exceptions, quality and price do seem to go together, so to bundle a bunch of non-tasting experts together it was always likely that the price would play a major role in their decision making. As the article said, an expert wouldn't be fooled, and would probably give you the correct price range.

ya to an extent, from all the tax and stuff on it, thats one of the main reason he goes.

Hoop, ive been to quite a few vineyards actually, in california, france and Italy, due to the people I was with though :D To say I am uneducated about wines is still prolly true though, and yes, my palate couldn't differentiate between certain grapes etc, save to say some tasted more "bitter"/"sour" than others......all the dry, medium, crisp crap I dont have a clue about, cos no I could never taste the difference. But when I worked in a pub over in London, I used to get all sort of requests, this one couple came in he always drank scotch and she always drank wine, well dressed, appeared quite eloquent, yer stereotypical middle-class English couple, anyhow she would always ask for a dry white wine ( I learnt to say that we always had it even if we didnt, as she would only drink water otherwise - sparkling of course, but yet with Ice which was another thing I didn't get.....), Id mix it up ( the types of wine ) through the evening, never got any complaints, and the couple still came back every week or so :) I used to do it with loads of people that would ask for a particular type of wine, just to see would anyone ever realise, and no they didnt.

ifk101
15/01/2008, 9:27 AM
I'd drink a fair bit of wine but really wouldn't have much of a clue if what I'm drinking is a good quality wine or not. But the rules of thumb I use for wine buying are:
Go for New World or Italian wines,
Avoid wines in tetra-pak packaging, and
If I like it, buy it again. If not, don't.

Block G Raptor
15/01/2008, 9:40 AM
I know what I like, although I do change my "drink" regularly(every three years or so.) was on Carlsberg first then went to the black stuff for a while Local started to do Bavaria for 3 yoyo's a pop so drank that all through college , Ive been drinking Heineken for a good few years now

citizenerased
15/01/2008, 10:26 AM
id drink most beers to be honest(except bud which is like a soft drink)....Regarding vodka, i can tell the cheap stuff from the good stuff. I can do this as i always come out in a rancid rash after drinking cheap vodka ala Borisov, Vatsky, tesco brand etc..

Aberdonian Stu
15/01/2008, 10:37 AM
If I like it, buy it again. If not, don't.

I find this is the best advice for all occasional wine drinkers, such as myself, as acquiring a taste is difficult if you don't drink it regularly.

jebus
15/01/2008, 2:21 PM
Coopers Green Label Australian beer is all I have to say about which is the best beer in the world

sligoman
15/01/2008, 2:31 PM
I hate all beers. Cider is the only thing I can drink. Apart from shorts of course.

noby
15/01/2008, 2:31 PM
Coopers Pale Ale? Arr, 'tis a fine beer indeed, but let's not be getting into best beer in the world discussions.
I hate all beers. Cider is the only thing I can drink. Apart from shorts of course.
Fair play for trying all beer to come to that informed opinion.

sligoman
15/01/2008, 2:33 PM
Fair play for trying all beer to come to that informed opinion.:D, it was a tough task and my liver is fecked now but I managed it in the end.

Of course I should have said, 'I have yet to taste a beer that I like enough to drink it';)

ollie
15/01/2008, 2:38 PM
Its a good thing that you can take shots. your stomach would be ripped up from the cider.

Have to say after my time in the States, Miller lite is top. Gives you very little of a hangover also.

jebus
15/01/2008, 2:44 PM
Its a good thing that you can take shots. your stomach would be ripped up from the cider.

Have to say after my time in the States, Miller lite is top. Gives you very little of a hangover also.

That would be the .5% of alcohol :)

noby
15/01/2008, 2:47 PM
Very little of anything, I would guess.

A robust real ale, made with good quality ingredients will also give you little of a hangover, with the added bonus of flavour. It's when people start adding additives to your beer that the hangovers really kick in.

paul_oshea
15/01/2008, 4:21 PM
im sorry but i had to resort to corona (and jds, together i mean) over the xmas ( drinking every night caused this ), and i didnt drink it like the gringos either. But it worked a treat, and in fairness is a very refreshing taste. But I think it doesn't confirm to lager/beer, it should be in its own little section.....and not called pussy drink or something like that....

In terms of strong tasting hops beers, Id go for sam adams as being a distinctive beer, a beer that is prolly an acquired taste, but well worth acquiring all the same.

Becks is another lovely one, really like it, though again it might be put down here.....

Finally, heineken would be the lager i drink at home, but unfortunately its not well stocked over here, and when it is its the 5.2% stuff and i have had 2 very bad experiences on that stuff ( i blame the gas from it ) so i try not to drink more than 6 or 7 pints. It also gives a terrible hangover.

I hate fosters/carling but sometimes i force myself. Carlsberg would be the best of a bad bunch over here. Kronenbourg is not a quality beer either in my opinon, though its charged at that price.

Star is a nice beer also. I have drank a lot of different beers at this stage, but Id say I remember only about 10% of those......:8

Docboy
15/01/2008, 6:50 PM
Augustiner helles is the finest beer I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. Unfortunately the don't export it outside of Bavaria/Germany. Selfish Shermans!

stann
16/01/2008, 1:35 AM
as she would only drink water otherwise - sparkling of course, but yet with Ice which was another thing I didn't get.....)

I think she probably wanted it to be cold. :D

As regards the wine I wouldn't be too genned up, and not at all on reds, but with whites you should be able to at least tell a roundy, buttery, Chardonnay from a highly acidic white like a Riesling, they are totally different. There's your starting point then. Go to it, and good luck! :D
My favourite tipple is a nice Chablis, can't beat it, well worth the extra few yo-yos for what is a real quality wine. A nice drop of Sancerre is the business too but they're taking the p**s over here with the prices.

paul_oshea
16/01/2008, 10:40 AM
think she probably wanted it to be cold

It came from the fridge :D

First
16/01/2008, 4:09 PM
Six months sober today after years of binge drinking and I have to say life is much better without alcohol. :)

Wolfie
17/01/2008, 8:04 AM
Six months sober today after years of binge drinking and I have to say life is much better without alcohol. :)

Fair play - I presume you opted for the obvious course of action and took up crack cocaine to replace it?

First
17/01/2008, 10:23 AM
Fair play - I presume you opted for the obvious course of action and took up crack cocaine to replace it?

No just the realistion that I was constantly in trouble over drink and while being aware of this planning my next binge. :o
Still get mad urges to go and get hammered but by changing my routine I have so far avoided it . For me personnally drink was running my life. All my activities were centred around the next session.

As for replacing it with crack cocaine , trust me when I say , there are alot of those tee shirts hanging in the wardrobe with my drinking skeletons.:o

Wolfie
18/01/2008, 8:21 AM
No just the realistion that I was constantly in trouble over drink and while being aware of this planning my next binge. :o
Still get mad urges to go and get hammered but by changing my routine I have so far avoided it . For me personnally drink was running my life. All my activities were centred around the next session.

As for replacing it with crack cocaine , trust me when I say , there are alot of those tee shirts hanging in the wardrobe with my drinking skeletons.:o

Well, being genuinely serious, seems to me you've sensibly had the guts to ask yourself a few tough questions and have decided to take some action before, as you describe, your alcohol binging becomes a major problem.

Hope that doesn't come across as condescending as its not intended to be - Fair play and all the best.

First
18/01/2008, 8:36 AM
Well, being genuinely serious, seems to me you've sensibly had the guts to ask yourself a few tough questions and have decided to take some action before, as you describe, your alcohol binging becomes a major problem.

Hope that doesn't come across as condescending as its not intended to be - Fair play and all the best.

Not condescending at all, I had to face a few realities and deal with them.

All the best.

GavinZac
18/01/2008, 9:43 AM
If I like it, buy it again. If not, don't.natural selection in action! :D

bennocelt
18/01/2008, 11:37 AM
Possibly. Although it must be said, in terms of quality Bud is right up there, consistently turning out a beer that is very delicately flavoured, where the flavour, colour, mouthfeel, hopping rates etc. never alter in the slightest. It's just that what they do produce isn't up to much.

please tell me you are joking:(
i find it amazing that there is such a thing as Bud Light, isnt that a contradiction
women and people who dont drink drink Bud

anyway i would be def able to do that test for beers
i love heineken, and german/polish beer
and dont mind Bass/Smithwicks on a quiet night

noby
18/01/2008, 12:37 PM
Get a dictionary and look up quality. As I said they can continually churn out a product that is consistent and of the same standard, with negligible variation.

As I also said, said product isn't up to much in my opinion.

EDIT: I hope that didn't come across as short. I'd sooner not touch Bud with a barge pole, but it's widely regarded as a brewery of the highest quality. I'd sooner have a cask ale that differs from batch to batch, and even changes it's flavour through the life span of the cask.

Magicme
18/01/2008, 12:51 PM
I love wine, particularly red wine and while I dont really know much about it I do know what I like and what I really love. For me I have never found a nicer tasting wine than a good Fluerie but as its usually between €16-20 a pop, I dont get to drink it often. Next favourite for me is Wolf Blass wines from Oz. The Yellow Label is top notch with such a smooth flavour that just makes you fall in love with it. The red label and the eagle hawk versions are lovely too and are at the attainable price for regular drinking. That said when I am broke, a cheap bottle of Lidl Chianti or a chilian Cabernet Savauignon does the job!

As for beers, am a Coors lite girl (yeah totally girly!) or bud, miller or any of the not too strongly flavoured beers. Am a veggie so my sense of smell and palate are more sensitive so dont like over powering flavoured beers.

Am a voddie woman of late (mixed with soda water and lime - delish!) but love JD and the occasionaly jagermister bomber.

noby
18/01/2008, 12:58 PM
There are a lot of more subtle flavoured beers out there. And some of those red wines pack plenty of flavour. Try the previously mentioned Coopers, or Duvel, or maybe a wheat beer. They don't all have to hit you over the head like an IPA or a stout.

Magicme
18/01/2008, 1:11 PM
I dont like wheaty tasting beers coz when they hit my stomach they make me feel sick. Have an allergy to wheat so try to avoid too much of it!

noby
18/01/2008, 1:19 PM
Fair enough.
Some people find the yeast in these unfiltered beers a little heavy going. Some people just need to open a window the next morning, if you know what I mean.

Magicme
18/01/2008, 1:25 PM
No I dont, sorry. Can you elborate??

noby
18/01/2008, 1:28 PM
Flatulence, my dear lady.

On the plus side, yeast is a great source of vitamin B, which is good for curing hangovers, therefore each sup you drink (of unfiltered beer) has the added bonus of reducing the next mornings suffering.

ramblersnb1
18/01/2008, 1:36 PM
Miller !!!!!!

sligoman
18/01/2008, 1:43 PM
I'm going out to play pool in a few mins and will have a couple of drinks. What beer would ye recommend starting on that's not too heavy on the stomach? Bear in mind, I'm a cider man mainly but I want to try and get off that as I've heard a lot of what it can cause as opposed to beers.

Spudd
18/01/2008, 3:33 PM
I'm going out to play pool in a few mins and will have a couple of drinks. What beer would ye recommend starting on that's not too heavy on the stomach? Bear in mind, I'm a cider man mainly but I want to try and get off that as I've heard a lot of what it can cause as opposed to beers.

Seeing as your a cider man much like myself,have you tasted Koperberg(s?) yet?
It's some mad swedish cider..Theres 3 flavours...But i cant look past the Mixed fruit one! Absaloutley gorjus!
Try it mate,you'l love it..
Stronger then most beers too..

Magicme
18/01/2008, 5:17 PM
Spudd please dont but him onto that stuff. Much as he wrecks our heads we all love Sligoman and would hate to see what damage he would do to himself on that stuff!!

Sligoman have you tried Coors light? It really does go down easy!!

sligoman
18/01/2008, 11:51 PM
Decided to go with Carlsberg tonight. Not bad, although seemed to get tipsy a lot quicker than I do with cider...maybe cos I'm not used to drinking it.
Seeing as your a cider man much like myself,have you tasted Koperberg(s?) yet?
It's some mad swedish cider..Theres 3 flavours...But i cant look past the Mixed fruit one! Absaloutley gorjus!
Try it mate,you'l love it..
Stronger then most beers too..I have tried Kopperberg alright and it's class stuff, love it. But just want to try and stay away from cider if possible.
Spudd please dont but him onto that stuff. Much as he wrecks our heads we all love Sligoman and would hate to see what damage he would do to himself on that stuff!!I'm taking that as a compliment:p
Sligoman have you tried Coors light? It really does go down easy!!No haven't tried it but the 'light' bit makes it sound a bit gay for a man to be drinking tbh no?:D

Magicme
21/01/2008, 7:17 PM
some would think that alright Sligoman but you would be astounded at how many men I have seen drinking it. Its as strong as other beers, just a lighter taste and lower calorie count.

Bottle of Tonic
21/01/2008, 10:32 PM
I drink red wine fairly regularly but wouldn't have a notion as to what i want when I'm in the shop. It's always a bit of a gamble, but I reckon the 12.5% french ones are my least favourite. Chilean merlot is usually safe.

Of course my favourite type of wine is brown wine. Being Irish but living in Scotland 7 years I have wide experience of both varieties. The Irish tonic is tastier, but thicker and far more sickly. I couldn't imagine cracking open an Irish bottle at midday on the bus to the game, but even though the Scottish one was a ranker taste and is more wide ranging in flavour (numbers from 1-40ish) it goes down a lot easier at that time of the day.

Guinness.
I moved here at 17 and really only started drinking Guinness then. All my Irish pals can't understand how I can drink it here and when they visit will all switch to whatever gash lager is on display (never get this, how is gammy flat weak Brit beer going to be better? British based posters will know what I mean about the scandalous standard of draught lager over here - carling, carlsberg, fosters, kronenbourg, tennents etc).
I don't find a MASSIVE difference in quality in the cross-channel Guinness, though it can be more variable given that it might not get poured as much in certain bars. What do the rest of ye make of it? Complete myth that you can't drink Guinness outside of Ireland?

paul_oshea
23/01/2008, 10:33 AM
Sligoman:becks is the way to go. trust me. you will get used to it fierce quick and then realise its lovely - too lovely in fact :8

Billsthoughts
23/01/2008, 10:49 AM
Sligoman:becks is the way to go. trust me. you will get used to it fierce quick and then realise its lovely - too lovely in fact :8

dont trust him.....could be another one of his "experiments" from his bar man days..

Sligo Hornet
23/01/2008, 11:10 AM

I am on a month long detox ( do it every year ) including NO alcohol.

I was at my sports club on saturday before watching Watford ( Jesus it's hard without booze! ) and decided to ask if they had any non-alcoholic beer ( as I was fed up with soft drinks ).....I was thrilled to learn they had BECKS, until I bought two small bottles and was charged £5 for the pint!!:eek:

Feck the detox next year!

paul_oshea
23/01/2008, 1:28 PM
Feck the detox next year!

Is there meant to be a comma, somewhere there?!