PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ireland to Liverpool?

rambler14
13/01/2008, 11:57 PM
You heard it here first:

Stephen Ireland to Liverpool in an exchange with Peter Crouch.

Deal nearly done apparently.

Fergie's Son
14/01/2008, 5:36 AM
Even if it is true...Er...why? To replace Alonso or Beynaouin?

Colbert Report
14/01/2008, 8:04 AM
Sven isn't a fool. Why would he swap one of his best young players whom he's just tied up to a new long-term contract to Liverpool (his biggest rival for the fourth and final Champions League spot) in exchange for Peter Crouch, a much higher paid, under-achieving striker?

Dr. Ogba
14/01/2008, 8:28 AM
Crouch is a great finisher and that's what Man City needs. Ireland could do well at Liverpool, Their wings are awful, he could be a creative spark for them.

but he's not a winger, he'll pretty much be playing the exact same position as Bennayoun..i.e right-midfield but tucking in. Can't see how this move would benefit either club or player...

Stuttgart88
14/01/2008, 8:32 AM
Sven will be at City for a few years. Ireland could go to Liverpool, Benitez could be fired and he'd be in limbo. Risky move. Liverpool are desperate for results and their fans won't be patient.

reder
14/01/2008, 8:33 AM
First I have heard about this. Crouch would be an excellent buy for city. He is an good finisher and he has good control for a big guy. He has had very little football this season. With games under his belt, I have no doubt that he will score and create plenty.

reder
14/01/2008, 8:36 AM
Sven will be at City for a few years. Ireland could go to Liverpool, Benitez could be fired and he'd be in limbo. Risky move. Liverpool are desperate for results and their fans won't be patient.

Nonsense. Proper Liverpool fans are the most patient and supportive in the land. Its the americans and newbies (post Istanbul matchgoers) that will run out of patience first.

Dr. Ogba
14/01/2008, 8:44 AM
Nonsense. Proper Liverpool fans are the most patient and supportive in the land. Its the americans and newbies (post Istanbul matchgoers) that will run out of patience first.

well its a shame that the fans don't hire and fire the boss then???!!;)

Can you honestly say that Benitez will 100% definitely be in the Liverpool job at the end of the season??
btw couldn't care less about the fortunes of Liverpool but, as previously mentioned, I'd worry about the fate of one of our best prospects if the manager that signed him was to be sacked and the next manager coming in had completely different ideas about the team and didn't like the look of him...

Stuttgart88
14/01/2008, 8:51 AM
Reder, do you really think that Liverpool fans next season will be happy with glimpses of Stephen Ireland's potential if they're not winning? I know Liverpool fans are very fair but I think their tolerance for fighting Everton for 4th place has disappeared.

shakermaker1982
14/01/2008, 8:54 AM
if Ireland has any sense he will keep well clear of Liverpool. Squad rotation, manager under pressure, might not make top 4, owners thinking of selling up.......it's a club that doesn't shout out stability to me.

Drumcondra 69er
14/01/2008, 9:03 AM

:D:D:D

What land?

tetsujin1979
14/01/2008, 9:15 AM
Haven't seen anything about this in any rumour section, or on any of the Man City boards. Sven was rumoured to be interested in signing Crouch earlier in the season, but now Castillo is in on loan so I think the main focus is going to be on a winger.
Also, I've never heard Benitez even mention Stephen Ireland, never mind interested in signing him.

dr_peepee
14/01/2008, 9:32 AM
Nah....doubt it... Sven has just gone on record to say he was snappin at the long ball tactics that were used against everton and that he's trying to create a neat footballing team of short passes.... or something to that effect... Signing Crouch as good as i think he is, doesn't fit in with that line of thinking.

paul_oshea
14/01/2008, 9:37 AM
it was on one of the sunday papers over here yesterday, news of the world or something like that.

gee wizz
14/01/2008, 9:59 AM
it was on one of the sunday papers over here yesterday, news of the world or something like that.

ah well if it was in the news of the world it has to be true,i think rambler14 was only pulling yer legs,crouch may go to man city but i cant see sven selling any of his young players as he will want to keep the squad he has at the moment.liverpool dont need anymore players they have two many at the moment and a lot of them are deadwood and not preforming

GavinZac
14/01/2008, 10:16 AM
Nonsense. Proper Liverpool fans are the most patient and supportive in the land.Well, you'd have to be, after 20 years you know? I'd imagine the impatient have taken up cricket or something else more exciting in that time.

luka
14/01/2008, 10:56 AM
Well, you'd have to be, after 20 years you know? I'd imagine the impatient have taken up cricket or something else more exciting in that time.

and still England's most decorated team ;)

Billsthoughts
14/01/2008, 10:57 AM
:D:D:D

What land?

exactly.......

passinginterest
14/01/2008, 11:01 AM

It was a tiny article on the back page of the Sunday World, sport final edition.
Doubt very much if it's true. It was written by that well known journalist Staff Reporter.

Hibernian
14/01/2008, 11:28 AM
You heard it here first:

Stephen Ireland to Liverpool in an exchange with Peter Crouch.

Deal nearly done apparently.

Sorry actually heard it first on the Sunday World News Paper

Wolfie
14/01/2008, 12:47 PM
He'd better change the colour of the pants - he'd be lynched at Anfield.

rambler14
14/01/2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry actually heard it first on the Sunday World News Paper

I didn't see it on the Sunday World. I didn't see it on any paper.

Technically you never heard it......you read it.:D

Hibernian
14/01/2008, 12:51 PM
I didn't see it on the Sunday World. I didn't see it on any paper.

Technically you never heard it......you read it.:D

Smart ass

Hibernian
14/01/2008, 12:53 PM
He'd better change the colour of the pants - he'd be lynched at Anfield.

jesus ya christ he would not want to be living in Liverpool, christ he will have nothing to wear on the pitch

Block G Raptor
14/01/2008, 1:10 PM
Haven't seen anything about this in any rumour section, or on any of the Man City boards. Sven was rumoured to be interested in signing Crouch earlier in the season, but now Castillo is in on loan so I think the main focus is going to be on a winger.
Also, I've never heard Benitez even mention Stephen Ireland, never mind interested in signing him.

Was in the sunday world yesterday

nijboyle
14/01/2008, 3:52 PM
Wouldn't have thought Rafa would be interested in Ireland, with the oversaturation of midfielders he has in his squad, granted he has a few duffers like Sissoko

galwayhoop
14/01/2008, 7:42 PM
..........and the next manager coming in had completely different ideas about the team and didn't like the look of him...

what you mean if the incoming Gaffer didn't like his Hair Weave???

stojkovic
15/01/2008, 5:02 PM
I'd imagine the impatient have taken up cricket or something else more exciting in that time.

No, I'd say they took up watching Champions League Finals !!

GavinZac
16/01/2008, 12:38 AM
No, I'd say they took up watching Champions League Finals !!

Ah ok, I don't really watch that anymore since it was devalued.

The Rebel Ram
18/01/2008, 9:19 AM
Supposedly a done deal, Ireland to go to liverpool and crouch to go to city with £7mill. dDue to be announced this week. I heard it from lets just say Steve's close relation in Cobh (not his Gran!!:))

GavinZac
18/01/2008, 9:20 AM
I heard it from lets just say Steve's close relation in Cobh (not his Gran!!:))how distasteful. :mad: RIP

eekers
18/01/2008, 9:44 AM
Cant see what stephen "i hate football" ireland has to gain by moving to liverpool?
mmm i wonder... getting his salary doubled for sitting on the bench ;)

gustavo
18/01/2008, 9:45 AM
Cant see what stephen "i hate football" ireland has to gain by moving to liverpool?
mmm i wonder... getting his salary doubled for sitting on the bench ;)
Maybe just maybe he thinks he could get in their team,
Not that its going to happen of course

eekers
18/01/2008, 9:50 AM
Maybe just maybe he thinks he could get in their team,
Not that its going to happen of course

benitez is dreaming of 'no width' midfield of sissoko, mascherano, alonso, gerrard and ireland right now no doubt

Stuttgart88
18/01/2008, 9:56 AM
Sissoko is on his way out I heard.