PDA

View Full Version : Steve Staunton

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jerry The Saint
11/01/2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=507763&in_page_id=1779

One of the oddest articles you'll read this year. By the tone I'd guess it was either written by Robbie Keane or Staunton himself :eek:

DmanDmythDledge
11/01/2008, 10:49 PM
He managed to fit in a dig at Dunphy. :)

Also has anyone heard "school for gaffers" on the new Gift Grub? Quality stuff.

livehead1
11/01/2008, 10:53 PM
What I will say is that although we could have finished higher, 3rd is about our level with the group we have. Also, maybe its good someone has stuck up for Stan, i'd like to see him get another job and succeed.

gustavo
11/01/2008, 10:59 PM
What I will say is that although we could have finished higher, 3rd is about our level with the group we have. Also, maybe its good someone has stuck up for Stan, i'd like to see him get another job and succeed.

Hear Hear , the man is gone now and I wish nothing but the best for him in his future career.

Jerry The Saint
11/01/2008, 11:09 PM
Hear Hear , the man is gone now and I wish nothing but the best for him in his future career.

Would you be happy to take him at Sligo:confused: ;)

gustavo
11/01/2008, 11:14 PM
Would you be happy to take him at Sligo:confused: ;)

I'm happy with Cookie so the question is irrelevant :cool:

Noelys Guitar
12/01/2008, 1:23 AM
Great player for Ireland. I hope he proves himself as a manager. Good Luck Stan.

sullanefc
12/01/2008, 1:31 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=507763&in_page_id=1779

One of the oddest articles you'll read this year. By the tone I'd guess it was either written by Robbie Keane or Staunton himself :eek:

He still thinks he did a decent job?:rolleyes:

OwlsFan
12/01/2008, 7:35 AM

Why do you mention Robbie Keane?

Good luck to Stan wherever he goes. Decent man. Not a great manager (so far).

sullanefc
12/01/2008, 9:59 AM
Why do you mention Robbie Keane?

I would guess something to do with his whingefest on the late late?

geysir
12/01/2008, 9:59 AM
It´s interesting enough article
He more compares his stint with the job Bertie Vogts did for Scotland which is fair enough but he thinks Bertie did a good job.
And that as a result of his stint bringing in new players
"Why do you think so many people want the Ireland job now? They weren't queuing up for it two years ago, were they? Top managers aren't stupid, they can see what's coming."
it could be more to do with a 150% salary rise :)

Sometimes it worked with McShane and Douglas V the Czechs and sometimes it flopped spectacularily with McGeady and with McShane against Wales. Most can appreciate the pitfalls around selecting new players, some were forced to be blooded but the real weakness to the team were made by Stan elsewhere in team selections and positioning.

Clearly he wasn´t prepared for the vitriol and clearly he didn´t know how to deal with it.

"mind you, what I'm doing now - actually no matter what course I did - would have prepared me for the two years I had with Ireland".

Nothing prepared us either for what we had to endure.

The future football wise for the fearless ambitious Stan may be alright, the perception of him is that he was thrown in too early and will have learnt something. He is good with young players. A couple of years working with a good reserve team under a good manager could be just the ticket he needs.

Torn-Ado
12/01/2008, 10:20 AM
You gotta love these comments:

"So great was the expectation in his homeland that the rookie was expected to overhaul Germany (fifth in the FIFA rankings) and the Czech Republic (6th) to reach next year's finals."

"I spoke to my counterparts in Germany and the Czech Republic. They couldn't believe how the Ireland team was perceived in its' own country."

This whole 'Unrealistic expectations' natter about Ireland gets on my nerves. No one had huge expectations for the national side in the last campaign. I didn't think we would qualify. What we did expect was a team to put it up to the big boys, beat the minnows (fairly easily) and be in with a shout of qualification near the end. The fact that we got thrid place, miles behind the top two is meant to be some sort of achievement to these people.

I was talking to a few Scottish and English friends of mine and expressed my displeasure at Venables being in line for the Irish job. They couldn't understand the criticsim and reckon we have a cheek to be so picky when our team is so bad. The whole 'unrealistic expectations' came up.

Theskinloyal
12/01/2008, 12:24 PM
God the poor man has been made so unemployable

OwlsFan
12/01/2008, 6:33 PM
I would guess something to do with his whingefest on the late late?

Didn't see it. Whingefest or loyalty as captain to his manager?

mypost
12/01/2008, 6:56 PM
Finally, the "gaffur" speaks. However:

No sign of an apology for the train wreck of a qualifying campaign.

No sign of an apology to the lads who paid €700+, and travel for 5 hours to watch our "performances" in Cyprus and Slovakia, to the souls who had to put up with sleet and snow for the San Marino trip (because he didn't want us playing in June :rolleyes: ) , nor the ones who like me, then forked out €70 to watch PL stars fail to beat the part timers from the holiday resort at home.

16 players were handed 1st caps. Now imagine what a decent manager could achieve with them in the team, and not by amongst other things, playing them, by choice, out of position.

He lost 1 game in the last 12. Porr diddums. Germany and the Czechs finished with 1 defeat from the last 12 too, only they're going somewhere next summer, while we're only going to the tv.

More "unrealistic expectations" crap too. We were apparantly "expected" to overhaul those above us in the world rankings. Our expectations is that we be competitive. Finishing 10 points behind second place is not competitive, it's a surrender.

An ambitious boss, who's competent, driven, and doesn't spin/bullsht his way through the job, is capable of getting those players and that side to be competitive at international level. He wasn't, that's why he ain't doing it anymore.

Paddy Garcia
12/01/2008, 7:42 PM
I don't think I can recall a more incompetent individual in football.

It's the comment that he is bemused at losing his job. My God everyone was bemused at how he kept it so long. Is it that he is simply stupid?

I don't appreciate him walking away with a hand out either, a pay off for being the most incompetent manager we have had in living memory. He failed to show a scrap of decency in the end.

pineapple stu
12/01/2008, 8:45 PM
Worst. Article. Ever. Lies, damn, lies and then statistics.

jmurphyc
12/01/2008, 9:04 PM
Agreed. The article completely spins how he did for us. He should have some humility and admit that he wasn't up to the job or that it was too early for him. This notion of us having unrealistic expectations is a joke. It's completely disrespectful to the fans who paid good money. How did we go from just having to win our last game to get a play off place to being out of contention with 3 games to go. It's also disrespectful to Kerr and his tenure.

bawn79
13/01/2008, 8:18 AM
I tried to add some comments to the comments box at the bottom of the article. But funnily enough because they were critical (Not too bad that they couldnt be posted, just a list of some of his obvious mistakes) they are have not been posted.

lim abroad
13/01/2008, 9:50 AM
I was in stitches reading this laughing at some of his ridiculous comments like,"we never lost a competitive fixture at home and never looked like losing either",he must have forgotten about Steve Finnan's injury time equaliser at home to Cyprus then or at least have expected it and he go's on to talk about how Eddie O'Sullivan gave him great tips like "he told me we'd need to get a smaller bus so it would fit under the stand at croker" hahahahahahahahahahaha :):)

Lionel Ritchie
13/01/2008, 11:36 AM
"I'm convinced some people never wanted me to succeed. It was mainly the television punditry. I'm not naming anyone. People will know who I'm talking about. That's disappointing because it's made up of ex-players and ex-managers. They weren't very complimentary, to say the least.

Wow ...some people just have it all. Paranoid AND Delusional. Who anywhere in Irish football would deny themselves seeing a competently managed Irish side succeed in a qualification campaign just because they want the manager to fail?

It's history now anyway. I wish him the very best ...I suspect he's going to have to start in the LOI if he's looking for a managerial gig and even there offers might be driven by misguided sentiment. But I wish him well. He wore our shirt 102 times.:ball:

OwlsFan
13/01/2008, 2:55 PM
This is part of his rehabilitation process. What do people expect him to say? "Is am cr*p". "Don't give me a job" ? Of course not. He has to put his best case forward for potential future employers. They say the only place you read perfection is in someone's c.v.. Stan, in the future, will cite all the excuses and statistics in the article when he eventually completes his course and is seeking employment. Is he not entitled to do that just as anyone of us would if we got the sack and were looking for employment?

We know it was a disaster but I won't deny him his right to put whatever gloss he wants on it for his own future in the game. It's called face saving and we all do it. I wouldn't get my knickers (if I wore any but I gave them back to the wife recently) in a twist over it.

mypost
13/01/2008, 4:43 PM
I was in stitches reading this laughing at some of his ridiculous comments like,"we never lost a competitive fixture at home and never looked like losing either",he must have forgotten about Steve Finnan's injury time equaliser at home to Cyprus then or at least have expected it hahahahahahahahahahaha :):)

True, or was the game THAT forgettable?

Stuttgart88
13/01/2008, 5:24 PM
You gotta love these comments:

"So great was the expectation in his homeland that the rookie was expected to overhaul Germany (fifth in the FIFA rankings) and the Czech Republic (6th) to reach next year's finals."

"I spoke to my counterparts in Germany and the Czech Republic. They couldn't believe how the Ireland team was perceived in its' own country."

This whole 'Unrealistic expectations' natter about Ireland gets on my nerves. No one had huge expectations for the national side in the last campaign. I didn't think we would qualify. What we did expect was a team to put it up to the big boys, beat the minnows (fairly easily) and be in with a shout of qualification near the end. The fact that we got thrid place, miles behind the top two is meant to be some sort of achievement to these people.

I was talking to a few Scottish and English friends of mine and expressed my displeasure at Venables being in line for the Irish job. They couldn't understand the criticsim and reckon we have a cheek to be so picky when our team is so bad. The whole 'unrealistic expectations' came up.Couldn't agree more.

Is it unrealistic to expect to do better than losing 5-2 in Cyprus, needing an injury time equaliser at home to Cyprus and a 96th minute winner in San Marino?

He can say he blooded youth, but it was often at the expense of better players in the same positions. The young players he picked weren't necessarily our best young players and weren't the players in the positions we needed them in most. His youth policy was indiscriminate & haphazard and at times bordering on corrupt.

A dose of humility and acceptance he wasn't up to it is what he needs to be saying, not this uber defensive nonsense.

Paddy Garcia
13/01/2008, 5:52 PM
This is part of his rehabilitation process. What do people expect him to say? "Is am cr*p". "Don't give me a job" ? Of course not. He has to put his best case forward for potential future employers. They say the only place you read perfection is in someone's c.v.. Stan, in the future, will cite all the excuses and statistics in the article when he eventually completes his course and is seeking employment. Is he not entitled to do that just as anyone of us would if we got the sack and were looking for employment?

We know it was a disaster but I won't deny him his right to put whatever gloss he wants on it for his own future in the game. It's called face saving and we all do it. I wouldn't get my knickers (if I wore any but I gave them back to the wife recently) in a twist over it.

I suspect that future potential employers will be looking for some signs that he has learnt some lessons. The article suggests otherwise.

He will need to find an employer as dense as he is & I'm doubt there are many.

Jerry The Saint
13/01/2008, 8:38 PM
I suspect he's going to have to start in the LOI if he's looking for a managerial gig and even there offers might be driven by misguided sentiment. But I wish him well. He wore our shirt 102 times.:ball:

I honestly can't think of anywhere that would appoint him - maybe Kilkenny as a publicity stunt or something. The sad part is that I don't think any of the decent-sized clubs here would have considered him before he got the Ireland job.

Lionel Ritchie
13/01/2008, 10:24 PM
I honestly can't think of anywhere that would appoint him - maybe Kilkenny as a publicity stunt or something. The sad part is that I don't think any of the decent-sized clubs here would have considered him before he got the Ireland job.

I was thinking Dundalk. Taper lit, standing clear.:D

sullanefc
13/01/2008, 11:10 PM

Why doesn't he say something like:
- The results and performances weren't good enough and I have to take resposibility.
- Things didn't go how I expected them to.
- I gambled on some young blood in some games and it didn't pay off.
- I didn't have the experience to do the job required.

There are lots of ways of saving face without the pack of lies that he spins.

Couldn't agree more.

A dose of humility and acceptance he wasn't up to it is what he needs to be saying, not this uber defensive nonsense.
It was this uber defensive nonsense that turned the average joe football fan against him. Even my mother who knows nothing of the game, found him irritating in interviews. He was dour, defensive, bullish and frankly full of BS in most interviews, just like the one above.

I suspect that future potential employers will be looking for some signs that he has learnt some lessons. The article suggests otherwise.

He will need to find an employer as dense as he is & I'm doubt there are many.
Future employers may also look for a bit of honesty from a manager. Something Stan does not have.

I was thinking Dundalk. Taper lit, standing clear.:D
Very good :D

osarusan
14/01/2008, 1:16 AM

I agree that he's trying to save face, but I think this will actually make things worse.

Any potential employer will know what went on with the Ireland job, and will know this article does not match at all.

Had he admitted responsibility for things, pleaded some mitigating circumstances, and mentioned how much he's learned, he would have done himself a much better service.

citizenerased
14/01/2008, 12:26 PM
what a joke! what chairman is mental enough to make stan manager.? still making excuses, like he was hard done by to lose his job..

Lionel Ritchie
14/01/2008, 12:43 PM
On further reflection there was just one near irrelevance in the entire article in which I empathised with the guy. The gob****e excuse for a "journalist" who brought a Kermit doll to a training session just so he could deliver some jingo-istic copy back to his arse-wipe of a newspaper.

That individual should be viciously beaten to within an inch of their life ...I mean medieval savagery should be used on him.

It's symptomatic of the nonsense any manager of the senior team is going to have to put up with in the future and leads me to conclude that one of the few correct moves the FAI engage in is trying to keep the media at arms length ...though I don't even think they do that much for the right reasons.

youngirish
14/01/2008, 1:07 PM
The man's a clown. Very biased article. Nobody expected Ireland to finish above Germany and most didn't expect us even to overhaul the Czechs. He goes on about the injuries also but fails to mention the injuries that other teams had when playing against us (Wales and the Slovaks for starters).

Then he whines about the media wanting him out when we all know that the voices of dissent started amongst us the fans. Finally he forgets to mention our results against the Dutch, San Marino and Cyprus (twice).

Glad he's gone and I'd feel for any supporters who would have to put up with him as their new manager.

elroy
14/01/2008, 1:45 PM
We witnessed a shambolic Irish team and it said alot when Don Givens can get one of the better performances of the campaign out of the team away to Wales. An away game we shouldve won except for some schoolboy defending from PMcS.

In Stans reign, we suffered home defeats to Holland and Chile and thats before the fun really started.
Games away to Cyprus, home to Cyprus, away to San Marino rank as three of the worst Irish performances in years. At best Stan got average performances from the team against Wales and Slovakia, however there is no doubt that under his reign this team went backwards.
His attiutde and persona toward the media didnt help his cause either, who can forget his comments after the cyprus, san marino and slovakia games. Im sure he's bitter that he did not receive the backing he was promised, but he only finished third in this group through luck and the fact the teams below us were very poor - look how many points the Czechs finished ahead of us and did any of us see anything particularly special from the Czechs ......even the Germans for that matter?????

OwlsFan
14/01/2008, 2:50 PM
Listen, we know it was a disaster. The point is, is he not entitled to put a gloss on it for the sake of his future career (wherever that might be)? He doesn't tell any lies. In the famous phrase, he's "economical with the truth". People, when they're down and being kicked from all sides, are entitled to do that.

Forget Stan (except his 100+ games) and move on. He deliberately didn't try and ruin us. He just wasn't up to the job but how many of us ever admit to that about ourselves or own up to our personal failings?

Lionel Ritchie
14/01/2008, 4:44 PM
Listen, we know it was a disaster. The point is, is he not entitled to put a gloss on it for the sake of his future career (wherever that might be)? He doesn't tell any lies. In the famous phrase, he's "economical with the truth". People, when they're down and being kicked from all sides, are entitled to do that.

Forget Stan (except his 100+ games) and move on. He deliberately didn't try and ruin us. He just wasn't up to the job but how many of us ever admit to that about ourselves or own up to our personal failings?

Owl you make a vice of magnanamity.;)

OwlsFan
14/01/2008, 4:54 PM
:D

I just can't stand the mob mentality of kicking a man when he's down, even if he's mumbling garbage when on the ground.

John83
14/01/2008, 5:35 PM
:D

I just can't stand the mob mentality of kicking a man when he's down, even if he's mumbling garbage when on the ground.
The ****e he spouted after games like the Cyprus defeats (even if the second one was only a moral defeat) was kicking the fans when they were down.

I'll never forget Kevin Keegan's resignation as England manager. I have no end of admiration for a man who could admit that he wasn't good enough, who was hurt and ashamed that he had failed. I'll not soon forget Staunton's dour refusals to recognise reality, nor his dogged determination to collect his golden handshake.

I also note from that article that Staunton hasn't even his A licence.

Kingdom
14/01/2008, 7:03 PM
The ****e he spouted after games like the Cyprus defeats (even if the second one was only a moral defeat) was kicking the fans when they were down.

I'll never forget Kevin Keegan's resignation as England manager. I have no end of admiration for a man who could admit that he wasn't good enough, who was hurt and ashamed that he had failed. I'll not soon forget Staunton's dour refusals to recognise reality, nor his dogged determination to collect his golden handshake.

Kingdom doffs his cap to john 83.

theworm2345
18/01/2008, 1:44 AM
He managed to fit in a dig at Dunphy. :)

Also has anyone heard "school for gaffers" on the new Gift Grub? Quality stuff.

Is this the one where they rip of Billy Joel? The Memories did a great job of doing this, Gift Grub did a decent job but you cant rip off another rip off (I wouldn't call The Memories version a rip off really I guess though)

RogerMilla
18/01/2008, 7:08 AM
completely blinkered vision , exactly the same as when he was manager , the man has massive over confidence , even arrogance , backed up with zero ability.

OwlsFan
18/01/2008, 9:17 AM

Didn't stop him leaving Man City "by mutual consent" and getting a golden handshake or now thinking he's good enough for the Newcastle job.

I don't blame anyone for looking for a golden handshake if their long term prospects of getting another decent job for the next 30 years looks remote in the extreme. This holier than thou attack is hypocritical in my opinion. Which one of us, if having a 4 years contract at work, are asked to leave with no future prospect of a job would say to his employer, "Naw boss, you keep the money. I don't deserve it".

As for not having the A Licence, I assume his employers knew that.

Billsthoughts
18/01/2008, 9:47 AM
I would. This argument always annoys me. Its not like he was working for employers whose sole aim is to turn a profit. Money could have been better put to use elsewhere. Price of tickets for games is feckin ridiculous. Then this sham who sends out teams who perform cluelessly gets a big pay off for his efforts. And still he doesnt even know where it all went wrong! Everyone else to blame but himself.

OwlsFan
18/01/2008, 9:59 AM
I would. This argument always annoys me. Its not like he was working for employers whose sole aim is to turn a profit. Money could have been better put to use elsewhere. Price of tickets for games is feckin ridiculous. Then this sham who sends out teams who perform cluelessly gets a big pay off for his efforts. And still he doesnt even know where it all went wrong! Everyone else to blame but himself.

Oh, so when you're being asked to leave "by mutual consent" by your employer, you would consider that your company could better employ the money elsewhere and for the greater good of the company, you won't take the money even though you've no propect of a decent job for the next 30 years because you were so brutal.

:rolleyes: I believe you.

Stuttgart88
18/01/2008, 11:08 AM
I think Stan is well within his rights to get paid out the remainder of his contract. That's business.

His PR case would be best served by a dose of humility, accepting that the task proved too much for him and that he has a lot to learn. Instead he regurgitated the defensive trench mentality that it was the media and hostile fans. If only his defence on the pitch was as stubborn.

geysir
18/01/2008, 11:20 AM
Brian Kerr said afterwards that he would do exactly the same again.

Stuttgart88
18/01/2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, but he didn't do as much wrong!

geysir
18/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Not the point, even if he made a decision that didn't turn out positive he would do exactly the same again if given the chance.
l

Stuttgart88
18/01/2008, 11:38 AM
Sure, but I wasn't saying that Kerr shouldn't have adopted the same approach. Kerr was just as stubborn but he's old news now.

I just think that Staunton will not make any progress on the PR front until he adopts a different tone.

Billsthoughts
18/01/2008, 4:41 PM
Oh, so when you're being asked to leave "by mutual consent" by your employer, you would consider that your company could better employ the money elsewhere and for the greater good of the company, you won't take the money even though you've no propect of a decent job for the next 30 years because you were so brutal.

:rolleyes: I believe you.

As I said in previous post its not comapring like with like. I am not already a millionaire for starters. He doesnt need to work for the next 30 years so point you make is redundant. You seem very "selective" in any causes you take up.

TerryPhelan
19/01/2008, 12:58 AM
The writing is sympathetic towards him - and that is fair enough in my
book. He didn't set out to do a bad job: as I always maintained, he
was put in this position. Honestly, if I was offered the job tomorrow
I think I would take it and think later. Impulsive and not best
advised, sure, but hardly deserving of the level and intensity of
ridicule that he got during the job.

It is the major truism of football that managers are the ones who pay
for bad performances with their heads, not the players. You can't sack
your starting XI and send the Dons and Ray Houghton out to interview
another team. To echo Keano the Senior, the majority of our senior
players simply did not show up for us. Richie Dunne is the only one
who springs to mind as showing the level of grit and desire required.
Shay Given, Lee Carsley and Steve Finnan had indifferent campaigns.The
less said about the performances of Robbie Keane, Damien Duff (the
Slovakia game aside), John O'Shea and Kevin Kilbane the better.

If we are to take seriously the task of apportioning blame for the
litany of fiascos (which Stan glosses over with his misguided comments
about Scotland - almost dismissing their two wins over France! and the
strength of England's group, which was certainly a stiffer challenge
than ours), then to my mind we shouldn't delude ourselves that simply
by getting rid of Stan we have lanced the ulcer on Irish football. Our
big players went missing and failed repeatedly when their mettle was
tested. Frustrating though it may sound, what Staunton (and Kerr
before him) said about it being up to the players once they cross the
whitewash rings true. Whoever the next manager is will not have it set
up for himself simply by virtue of the fact that he is not Staunton.
We have a raft of under-functioning players who need to get their own
act together first before the new boss's plans have any chance of
sticking.

Staunton got a rough deal from beginning to end. He was approached and
appointed to a job he should never have been let near at this stage in
his managerial career, such as it was. He was, indeed, very unlucky
with injuries. That said, he got a number of calls very badly wrong.
Lee Carsley and Andy Reid being left out. Picking Kilbane and Ireland
in CM v Cyprus. Equally, Robbie Keane let him down badly as his
captain. His treatment in the tabloid press went beyond the usual
histrionic tripe they peddle - the whole 'muppet' gag was simply
demeaning. Whatever difficulties I had with Staunton's appointment and
performance, that sort of inane, childish treatment was simply
uncalled for. Those people do not represent me. If anything, their
behaviour made me feel more sympathy for Stan, they were giving him
such a relentlessly bad time, with no real right of reply. Maybe
that's all part of being a manager. Sure. Maybe. But maybe it's also
completely immature and hysterical too.

I am glad that Staunton took the chances he did with players like Joey
O'Brien, Paul McShane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt, Darren Potter, Aiden
McGeady and Stephen Ireland. Our strength in depth of capped
internationals is as healthy as I can remember - numbers-wise, if not
quite proven quality-wise just yet. He has left things in a better
state in this regard, and I am grateful for his work there.
Nevertheless, this squad should wake up and realise it has a point to
prove. A much tougher qualification group stands between us and this
World Cup. Heads need to be knocked together. Dunne needs to be made
captain. The team has to be given a system it can trust and a plan
which stands a chance of working. That's the manager's business. But
it will be the same old story if the senior players don't start
behaving as such: and like I have said earlier, if we really face
those facts, then we'll be talking about eleven muppets instead of
one.