PDA

View Full Version : Sam Allardyce

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 5:01 PM
Would be perfect for the Irish job in my opinion, hopefully the FAI pull out all the stops to get him and his back-room staff.

I can't believe that Newcastle have sacked him already, ridiculous decision, he's one of the top managers in Britain, he just needed time.

Serb
09/01/2008, 5:13 PM
I'd be happy with Big Sam personally, very happy. He hasn't done well at all at Newcastle winning 8 of 24 games, so that is obviously a concern, but he did well at Bolton with some pretty average (and in some cases worse-than-average) players, which is essentially the same standard he would inherit in the Ireland setup. He also has League of Ireland management experience when he managed Limerick in the early 90s, so that's a plus!

geysir
09/01/2008, 5:19 PM
Would be perfect for the Irish job in my opinion, hopefully the FAI pull out all the stops to get him and his back-room staff.
What's the latest census figures on the backroom staff?
We´d need an IMF loan to cover that lot.

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 5:20 PM
but he did well at Bolton with some pretty average (and in some cases worse-than-average) players, which is essentially the same standard he would inherit in the Ireland setup

Exactly.

backstothewall
09/01/2008, 5:35 PM
Newcastle's loss = Irelands gain

If he would take it on, he is without a doubt the outstanding candidate out there

Bottle of Tonic
09/01/2008, 5:35 PM
Well since Hodgson didn't get it and no other decent manager has popped up in the reckoning I'd be more than happy with Allerdyce at this stage.
And I was one who originally wanted a fresh approach with a continental style/internationally experienced manager, rather than the ol tried and trusted british guy and his north-west-european-archipelago stuck in his ways style of play and management.

Oh well.

Like others on this site have expressed in recent days, I've become a bit fed up with the whole rigmarole. No word of Houllier, Jol, Hodgson etc (the good candidates), stuck speculating over Brady, Hoddle , Terry 'celebrity manager' Venebles etc, I'd be massively surprised if we hear anything from the FAI in the coming week over this great opportunity to get a decent manager in.

There's always hope I guess.

Torn-Ado
09/01/2008, 5:42 PM
I reckon he would like it.

sligoman
09/01/2008, 5:43 PM
There's once again a good manager back on the market. Sign him up quick. Can't see it happening though:(.

Jerry The Saint
09/01/2008, 5:46 PM
I reckon he would like it.

He's in a strange enough position - taking a job at a smaller club would be seen as a step-down. Moving into an international job may appeal to him.

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 5:47 PM
This'd be bad news if Newcastle go for Houllier.

Shay Given was rumoured to be part of a group of players unhappy with Allardyce. Since the FAI consulted Given and others after the Wales game I'd find it odd if they went for a candidate not liked by one of the senior players they consulted. I'm not sure about Duff's role or whether he was one of the Newcastle dissenters. Pure conjecture mind.

Many of us cited Venables' "dodginess" as a big negative. Don't the same standards apply to Sam?

He'd be a generally good candidate, miles better than many of the no-marks suggested, but Geysir's comment about the census is spot on - he brought about 20 -30 "staff" into the set up at Newcastle. Very odd and very expensive. I'd have other reservations but Jaysus, as I said eralier, we can't turn our noses at good candidates. I'd still prefer Houllier and by quite a bit.

livehead1
09/01/2008, 6:02 PM
I really don't understand why the players opinions have been sought over the new manager. You appoint the man with the best cv and with a good track record. What you don't do is go and ask a few players opinions about who they would like to see get the job. These are the same players who have failed us over the last 5 years.

mypost
09/01/2008, 6:13 PM
Sam Allardyci, no thanks.

If you thought Kerr's teams were boring to watch.....

NeilMcD
09/01/2008, 6:30 PM
Yeah I would not be keen on Allardyce I must say.

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 6:32 PM
How do we go about setting up a pole on here for a vote on Big Sam for the job? I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks. I would very much be in the Sam for Ireland Camp.

OneRedArmy
09/01/2008, 6:33 PM
Hark-back to the Charlton era. Lump it up style of football pare excellence, but may well be successful.

Its a damning indictment of the quality of manager we can attract that he is one of the better candidates.

Someone rang into The Last Word this evening and suggested hiring him on the premise that he could convince Kevin Nolan to declare for Ireland....

I sometimes think we get exactly what some of our fans deserve.

shaneker
09/01/2008, 6:34 PM
No, no, no. Have you seen Newcastle this season? Shocking individual performances (which throws his supposed legendary man-management skills into question) and tactically they have been nothing short of childish, there is no intention to play football and its just route one time and time again. We actually have some decent players these days (Keane, Doyle, Duff, Hunt, McGeady, Ireland, Dunne) and we need a manager who will be able to use those talents to play to our strengths.

No thanks.

amaccann
09/01/2008, 6:45 PM
No thanks. We can do better.

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 6:49 PM

Like who exactly???

DotTV
09/01/2008, 6:52 PM
Why are some people getting so excited about a recent failure. He had decent players at newcastle and he couldn't do a thing with them.
He did well with Bolton but didn't do much before that(got notts county promoted then relegated I think)
Having said all that he's a good sight better than all the guys who haven't managed for 10 years.
I'd prefer Houllier

Drumcondra 69er
09/01/2008, 6:59 PM
I'd take him Crazy decision by Newcastle after half a season. Look at Villa last year, exact same position as Newcastle this year, playing awful football yet no one was looking to sack O'Neill. It takes time to rebuild a club especially a comedy club like Newcastle and their carToon army. Should be funny to see Shearer fall on his arse.

Allardyce might feel he has something to prove after being snubbed by England for McClaren despite giving what was generally accepted to be an excellent presentation and future plan as part of his interview. Bit like Jack when he took over. Best candidate out there, Houllier was more of a route one merchant then Allardyce in any case.

Newryrep
09/01/2008, 7:01 PM

seconded

kingdomkerry
09/01/2008, 7:08 PM
The fact that he was involved with Limerick means he will feel some affinity with ireland and as was mentioned earlier he would see it as a step up. 16/1 id say thats worth a tenner.

hamburg paul
09/01/2008, 7:15 PM
Hark-back to the Charlton era. Lump it up style of football pare excellence, but may well be successful.

Its a damning indictment of the quality of manager we can attract that he is one of the better candidates.

Someone rang into The Last Word this evening and suggested hiring him on the premise that he could convince Kevin Nolan to declare for Ireland....

I sometimes think we get exactly what some of our fans deserve.

Would have to agree you cant condone his footballing style!I remember one of the lads in the Charlton era admitting after playing a game for the 21s under Maurice Setters !(who )?that they needed a surgical collar ,because the ball was always up in the air ,so basically if we are looking at Sam then this is a step backwards!Anyway if the 3 Amigos have carried out any interviews then the decision must already have been made ,or were they waiting on their man Sam?

Superhoops
09/01/2008, 7:20 PM
.....He also has League of Ireland management experience when he managed Limerick in the early 90s, so that's a plus! Nearly as a much of a plus as someone who drank a pint of Guinness in Dublin once :rolleyes:

Would be perfect for the Irish job in my opinion, hopefully the FAI pull out all the stops to get him and his back-room staff. He has a bigger back room staff than he had players. No way could FAI afford half of them or actually need them.

I can't believe that Newcastle have sacked him already, ridiculous decision, he's one of the top managers in Britain, he just needed time. How much time would he need with us? Just enough time to fill his pockets!

You appoint the man with the best cv and with a good track record. Hardly Allardyce then!

Why are some people getting so excited about a recent failure. I never understood why some people are keen to champion the cause of any manager who has f*cked up his most recent job.

shakermaker1982
09/01/2008, 7:25 PM
Percentage football doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid. I thought sacking Big Sam after 24 games is bad form and crazy if you ask me but I don't think he's the right man for us. Then again I'd prefer him to Kenny, O'Leary and Sanchez.

Plastic Paddy
09/01/2008, 7:30 PM
File under 'd' for 'desparation'. No thanks.

:ball: PP

Blue-Army
09/01/2008, 7:32 PM
Sam Allardyci, no thanks.

If you thought Kerr's teams were boring to watch.....I don't care how boring we play if he gets us to South Africa 2010..:cool:

tetsujin1979
09/01/2008, 7:40 PM
Newcastle's owner has confirmed he wants the next Newcastle manager to be British. El Tel anyone? Possibly with Shearer as his assistant?
If Big Sam's sacking is to be Ireland's gain, this would be the ideal manner!

On the other hand, it's another big job with a salary the FAI can't hope to match, and, as was the case with Hodgson, Newcastle are more than likely looking at the top end of the manager market that we are hoping to take from - Deschamps, Houllier, etc

Manc Irish Wolf
09/01/2008, 7:44 PM
Definitely got to be a contender. We could do better? Like who? Daglish? Brady? Venables? McCarthy? All the other 5hite that has been touted in the press?

Long ball hype is a fallacy - direct yes, but not long ball - playing with midfielders like Speed, Nolan, Diouf from deep they could pass the ball as well. Perfect age, as he has nothing to prove and must realise that he is never going to get a punt for the England job now, so this is the best chance that he has at international management.

4-5-1 would be a good option for us now anyway. Doyle up front, Keane & McGeady/Ireland from deep with Carsley in his rightful role as a defensive midfielder, protecting a questionable defence. This could well see us through to South Africa. Couldn't give a monkeys how we get there, as long as we do.

Failing that, I'd love to see a Houllier/Collins combination - finally a few candidates that we can get excited about.

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 7:44 PM
I don't care how boring we play if he gets us to South Africa 2010..:cool:

Exactly, who do you think we are?? Do people really think that we could out-play the likes of Italy with our silky beautiful football???

GET REAL

eekers
09/01/2008, 7:47 PM
under allardyce ireland would go into every game super prepared - we would know all about the montnegro left back. the newcastle players didnt like this, they just wanted to kick a ball round a five a side pitch and have a laugh.

allardyce could be brian kerr all over again, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.

tetsujin1979
09/01/2008, 7:56 PM
allardyce could be brian kerr all over again, which isnt necessarily a bad thing.
You think not qualifying for the next 2 tournaments in a row "isn't necessarily a bad thing"?

shakermaker1982
09/01/2008, 7:58 PM
under allardyce ireland would go into every game super prepared - we would know all about the montnegro left back. the newcastle players didnt like this, they just wanted to kick a ball round a five a side pitch and have a laugh.

if Newcastle were so tactically astute and well prepared they wouldn't have failed to beat Derby twice!!!

Serb
09/01/2008, 8:11 PM
Nearly as a much of a plus as someone who drank a pint of Guinness in Dublin once :rolleyes:

The point of my comment was that he has lived here and worked in football for a year and seemed to enjoy it. I think if he were to be approached by the panel, his time in Ireland would certainly be something that he would reflect upon favourably and might warm him to the position of national manager.

Greenforever
09/01/2008, 8:36 PM
The point of my comment was that he has lived here and worked in football for a year and seemed to enjoy it. I think if he were to be approached by the panel, his time in Ireland would certainly be something that he would reflect upon favourably and might warm him to the position of national manager.

Ian Paisley visited Dublin too:D

amaccann
09/01/2008, 8:40 PM
Exactly, who do you think we are?? Do people really think that we could out-play the likes of Italy with our silky beautiful football???

GET REAL
What has the type of football we play got to do with anything? WE have the money to pay for nearly any manager we can think of, so why should be settle for Premiership has-beens, also-rans and never was?

Oh sorry I forgot, we're Irish, we should be thankful we can afford a football or something.

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 8:45 PM
WE have the money to pay for nearly any manager we can think

U must be taking the pish??? What was Kerr on? €300k a year, which top class manager would work for that?

Not that I think Big Sam is a Premiership has been but at least he has managerial experience in the top flight, not like the last 3 guys before they got the job. Milwall, St. Pats and Walsall???

Greenforever
09/01/2008, 8:56 PM
What has the type of football we play got to do with anything? WE have the money to pay for nearly any manager we can think of, so why should be settle for Premiership has-beens, also-rans and never was?

Oh sorry I forgot, we're Irish, we should be thankful we can afford a football or something.

Excuse my ignorance but where is this money the fai have to pay nearly any manager?

Have you any idea how much Ferguson or Wegner earn a year?

Have you any idea how much the FAI generate in a year and where it is spent?

amaccann
09/01/2008, 9:11 PM
WE have the money to pay for nearly any manager we can think

U must be taking the pish??? What was Kerr on? €300k a year, which top class manager would work for that?

Not that I think Big Sam is a Premiership has been but at least he has managerial experience in the top flight, not like the last 3 guys before they got the job. Milwall, St. Pats and Walsall???
An exaggeration, but you can't still claim that Big Sam is as good as it's going to get. Am I to assume then that the likes of Houllier or Deschamps (the latest to appear on the bookies odds) are too good for the likes of us?

The Bit O'Red
09/01/2008, 9:14 PM
Not at all amaccann, but I would prefer Alardyce to those two to be honest with you. I can relate his Bolton team to Ireland, not world beaters but plenty of commitment and a solid side when well organised.

Ask the Liverpool fans what they think of Houllier.

Greenforever
09/01/2008, 9:17 PM
An exaggeration, but you can't still claim that Big Sam is as good as it's going to get. Am I to assume then that the likes of Houllier or Deschamps (the latest to appear on the bookies odds) are too good for the likes of us?

Why do you think Houllier or Deschamps would do a good job, Houllier in particular appears to be far more interested in a return to the premiership.

irishfan86
09/01/2008, 9:19 PM
Excuse my ignorance but where is this money the fai have to pay nearly any manager?

Have you any idea how much Ferguson or Wegner earn a year?

Have you any idea how much the FAI generate in a year and where it is spent?

The salary our new manager will receive will be in excess of 1 million Euro per annum, making it one of the highest paid international management positions.

Obviously no comparison to what the top club teams are paying, but at the end of this process we should have a man worthy of the salary.

If we're going to settle for a risky contender, he should have a salary that reflects that.

Hopefully we get a good manager and the significant salary will encourage him to stick around.

irishfan86
09/01/2008, 9:25 PM
I can relate his Bolton team to Ireland, not world beaters but plenty of commitment and a solid side when well organised.

Our key players are not the "committed grafters" of legend; Keane, Ireland, Doyle, McGeady, Andy Reid, Duff, and Hunt can all play football, and wouldn't be as effective in an Allardyce system.

If he was the manager, I can see him dropping one of our flair wingers for the likes of Kilbane.

He favours athletes over footballers, and there's nothing wrong with that mentality, but the majority of our players are footballing on the floor types.

Steven Reid, Kilbane, O'Shea would be the key figures in an Allardyce system.

Greenforever
09/01/2008, 9:26 PM
The salary our new manager will receive will be in excess of 1 million Euro per annum, making it one of the highest paid international management positions.

Obviously no comparison to what the top club teams are paying, but at the end of this process we should have a man worthy of the salary.

If we're going to settle for a risky contender, he should have a salary that reflects that.

Hopefully we get a good manager and the significant salary will encourage him to stick around.

Agreed he will be one of the highest paid International managers, but we need someone that wants the job not the money. Thankfully Ray Houghton has the same outlook and hopefully the amigos will get the right man for the job.

irishfan86
09/01/2008, 9:37 PM
Agreed he will be one of the highest paid International managers, but we need someone that wants the job not the money. Thankfully Ray Houghton has the same outlook and hopefully the amigos will get the right man for the job.

I agree that we need someone who wants the job, but I think a good salary creates a situation where stability can be more attainable because they won't be looking to move on at some point.

amaccann
09/01/2008, 10:01 PM
Not at all amaccann, but I would prefer Alardyce to those two to be honest with you. I can relate his Bolton team to Ireland, not world beaters but plenty of commitment and a solid side when well organised.

Ask the Liverpool fans what they think of Houllier.
Look at Liverpool's record under Houllier. Replace "Liverpool" with, say, Blackburn. Does his record suddenly seem so terrible? His career has been argued to death already elsewhere, but I think Houllier comes with more success than most of the other candidates. And I think his history in the youth game should also count in his favour.

As for relating the team to that of Bolton, well we have some talented ball players now, there's no reason to think you can't combine graft with skill. As has been mentioned, the FAI can write a million euro cheque, why limit your options?

NeilMcD
09/01/2008, 10:29 PM
At Bolton he was able to get players who played his 4 3 3 long ball game, we dont have players for that. We dont have lots of big playlers who are athletic and like to kick the ball long and chase. So he is not right for us.

kingdom hoop
09/01/2008, 10:36 PM
A friend of mine (yes, surprisingly enough, I do have one or two friends) met his daughter on holidays somewhere before and said she was well fit. That's the only Allardyce I want to support in the future. :)

eirebhoy
09/01/2008, 11:20 PM
Boring Stat Alert.

Just to back up those saying he's a long ball merchant... There's huge difference in pass success rate between Bolton and Newcastle, this season and last season.

Bolton:

06/07 07/08
Player Passes/90 minutes (Success)

N.Hunt 32 (57%) 26 (62%)
T.B.Haim 36 (63%) 49 (92%)
A.Meite 27 (71%) 22 (78%)
A.Faye 33 (66%) 31 (75%) Still playing under Sam

I.Campo 43 (71%) 45 (72%)
G.Speed 39 (70%) 36 (72%)
K.Nolan 26 (69%) 20 (76%)
E.H.Diouf 30 (73%) 30 (76%)

N.Anelka 25 (72%) 23 (73%)
K.Davies 37 (52%) 33 (55%)
Total/Average 328 (66.4%) 315 (73.1%)

Newcastle:

06/07 07/08
Player Passes/90 minutes (Success)

H.Beye - 26 (66%)
D.Rozehnal - 31 (76%)
S.Taylor 36 (72%) 29 (76%)
C.N'Zogbia 31 (75%) 32 (69%)

N.Butt 50 (73%) 42 (74%)
Geremi 55 (76%) 41 (77%)
A.Smith 35 (77%) 33 (72%)
J.Milner 33 (72%) 26 (68%)

M.Viduka 32 (70%) 29 (67%)
O.Martins 27 (77%) 21 (71%)
Total/Average - (74%) 310 (71.6%)

That type of manager simply wouldn't suit our players others have said.

eirebhoy
09/01/2008, 11:32 PM
Our key players are not the "committed grafters" of legend; Keane, Ireland, Doyle, McGeady, Andy Reid, Duff, and Hunt can all play football, and wouldn't be as effective in an Allardyce system.

If he was the manager, I can see him dropping one of our flair wingers for the likes of Kilbane.

He favours athletes over footballers, and there's nothing wrong with that mentality, but the majority of our players are footballing on the floor types.

Steven Reid, Kilbane, O'Shea would be the key figures in an Allardyce system.
Proof of this would be the fact arguably Newcastle's most technically gifted player, Emre, was left on the bench for most of the season.