PDA

View Full Version : 3 club ruled changed

yiddo
09/01/2008, 2:34 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2759

FAI welcomes FIFA decision to change three club rule
Date: Wednesday, 09 January 2008
Section: eircom League
After intensive lobbying by the Football Association of Ireland, soccer’s world governing body, FIFA, has changed the rule in relation to players playing for three clubs in a 12 month period.

Last year the FAI brought to the attention of FIFA the anomaly within Article 5 of its rules relating to the registration of players. The FAI pointed out that the rule, which operated from July 1 to June 30, did not facilitate countries whose season was during the summer and, at the time, successfully obtained clearance to play for eight Eircom League of Ireland players who had signed for new clubs at the beginning of the 2007 season.

An FAI delegation consisting of Eircom League of Ireland Director Fran Gavin, Legal Advisor Sarah O’Shea and Football Support Services Manager Eoin Hand met with FIFA’s Legal Department on March 21 in Zurich and the Association then submitted a detailed submission on May 2 in support of a rule change.

FIFA have now taken on board the FAI’s argument and Section Three of Article 5 has been amended to accommodate countries who play summer soccer. It now reads:

“Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected.”

Fran Gavin, Director of the Eircom League of Ireland, welcomed the change: “While other countries turned a blind eye to this anomaly in the rules, we took the decision to point it out to FIFA because we were not prepared to run the risk of receiving sanctions for breaching it. The change will greatly benefit the eircom League of Ireland and the players in it and is another example of the advantages to be had from having the association directly involved in the running of the league.”

Block G Raptor
09/01/2008, 2:41 PM
Fair Dues to the FAI for that (I Feel Dirty Now)

Risteard
09/01/2008, 2:52 PM
Yes, good work.
I'd expect George O'Callaghan back at the cross so as our 'big signing' of the close season.

A judas Georgie returning to play for a Dub club would have been much more entertaining.

adamcarr
09/01/2008, 3:05 PM
Yes, good work.
I'd expect George O'Callaghan back at the cross so as our 'big signing' of the close season.

A judas Georgie returning to play for a Dub club would have been much more entertaining.

Would be unbelievable if it was to happen. Id definitely renew my season ticket.

balls
09/01/2008, 3:16 PM
rico cant be happy rule is changing this year after all his lobbing last year to change rule.

lofty9
09/01/2008, 3:42 PM
Not being funny, but why would O'Callaghan want to return to Ireland to play? He did well at Brighton, would it not be better for him to try and prove he could do it in the Championship, rather than league one, instead of coming home like Byrne as a failure.

Risteard
09/01/2008, 3:57 PM
Because it suits him to be the big fish in the small pond.
Brighton would have been perfect for him had he not pushed for more money/ ****ed off the chairman.
I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk of decent league1 clubs in for him.

ramsfan
09/01/2008, 4:33 PM
good player bad attitude no player is bigger than club or team mates think he is a bad influence, tough for a new manager to start off facing that plonker

paudie
09/01/2008, 5:03 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2759

RRS again;)

yiddo
10/01/2008, 8:31 PM
good player bad attitude no player is bigger than club or team mates think he is a bad influence, tough for a new manager to start off facing that plonker

A mangers job is to manage all the players even the "difficult" ones. If Hendo though he had the chance of signing a player of GOC's ability he'd swim over to Ipswich to get him! ;)

Because it suits him to be the big fish in the small pond.
Brighton would have been perfect for him had he not pushed for more money/ ****ed off the chairman.
I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk of decent league1 clubs in for him.

True George likes to be the big fish which is why Brighton should have suited him but in fairness to him I think the problem at Brighton was that the chairman was trying to pull a fast one and only offered GOC and the other loan players loan extensions rather than permanent contracts. Hardly a vote of confidence? So GOC went back to Ipswich. Twill be interesting to see if he gets in the Ipswich squad on Saturday next.