PDA

View Full Version : Steve Finnan a "role model".

Pages : [1] 2

eirebhoy
09/01/2008, 3:40 PM
Quotes from Arbeloa.

"Finnan is unbelievable.

"He never plays badly. He is a good player who always plays really well. He is a great example for someone like me. I am learning a lot about the game from him.

"Not only is he a fantastic player but I also count him as a good mate.

"It is a challenge for me to play on the right side of the defence because Finn is such a good player. Just watching and working with him in training every day can only improve my game in the long run.

"Finn still has some good years left in him.

"At 24-years-old it is a good opportunity for me to be able to learn from someone like him and who knows what will happen in the future?"

Block G Raptor
09/01/2008, 3:45 PM
Yeah Finnan is a class act. one of the most under-rated player's in the present Ireland set up IMO. how many Irish international's have CL winners and Runners-up medals?

elroy
09/01/2008, 4:04 PM
Looks like he's gonna stay around for the next campaign as well, there was talk late last year that he may retire.

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 4:36 PM
I don't think there was really, it was just that he fitted the profile of a retiring international: wrong side of 30, been there, seen that, done that and has a busy club career. Playing for a big club probably highlighted just hopw shambolic the Ireland set up was too.

I doubt he ever said anything himself but am open to correction, it was more just speculation on internet forums like this.

NeilMcD
09/01/2008, 4:41 PM
Question is, should we play him at left back as he seems to be the best solution to that problem position and play Stephen Kelly at right back or Joey O Brien there.

Block G Raptor
09/01/2008, 4:59 PM
Question is, should we play him at left back as he seems to be the best solution to that problem position and play Stephen Kelly at right back or Joey O Brien there.

Hell No. Finnan is the best right back in the premier and looks ordinary at left back

NeilMcD
09/01/2008, 5:02 PM
Its not about that its about what is best for the team. He is not as good at left as he is ast right but is the back four better as a whole if Finnan is at left back and someone who can play right is there.

Block G Raptor
09/01/2008, 5:09 PM
IMO. that weakens the team more, we have an average player at right back and an average at left back or a class right back and an average leftback it's a no brainer

tetsujin1979
09/01/2008, 5:11 PM
IMO. that weakens the team more, we have an average player at right back and an average at left back or a class right back and an average leftback it's a no brainer
We don't even have an average left back at the moment :(

L37Ultra
09/01/2008, 5:17 PM
A true Limerick man :)

woodie
09/01/2008, 5:26 PM
He was brilliant in 'P.S. I love you' and he deserved his two oscars for 'Million Dollor Baby' and 'Boys don't cry', top class pro

kingdom hoop
10/01/2008, 12:03 AM
I knew it! Walking down the street the other day, I saw this (http://www.omarphillips.net/blog_images/subway.jpg)fella approach me. I said to myself, 'jeez, right Steve Finnan gatch on that lad.' Sure enough, my suspicions have been confirmed. :D

DRDoc
10/01/2008, 12:15 AM
the guy is a class act - has been for Liverpool, Fulham and Notts County for years - consistently good

Also he has scored in all four top divisions in england apparently - Not sure many others have done that

To think the narrow minded Kerr would not play him regularly when he was in charge

ShamrockIreland
10/01/2008, 12:46 AM
Finnan is one of a handful of good players in our squad. He has to be played in his position at right back as we need him there. O'Shea can play(badly) at left back. I just hope Kilbane isn't in our team for the qualifiers as he's dreadful everywhere:eek:. Any decent left backs coming through I cant think of many.

Greenforever
10/01/2008, 12:50 AM
Finnan is one of a handful of good players in our squad. He has to be played in his position at right back as we need him there. O'Shea can play(badly) at left back. I just hope Kilbane isn't in our team for the qualifiers as he's dreadful everywhere:eek:. Any decent left backs coming through I cant think of many.

If all the team played with Kilbane's passion we would be in a lot better state, he's one of our most underrated players, and always gives 100% unlike a few of our prima donnas

kingdom hoop
10/01/2008, 12:57 AM
Any decent left backs coming through I cant think of many.

Rosaries are daily said for Stephen O'Halloran (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=72504=stephen+o%27halloran)'s future.

elroy
10/01/2008, 9:16 AM
If all the team played with Kilbane's passion we would be in a lot better state, he's one of our most underrated players, and always gives 100% unlike a few of our prima donnas

Well said.

Kingdom
10/01/2008, 10:49 AM
I've been a fan of Steve Finnan's for a good while now, however I think the injuries have a taken a toll on him this season, as he hasn't been as solid for Liverpool, and while he was never that quick, he has been skinned quite a few times this season, which wasn't the case before.
I'll be surprised if he's playing for Liverpool next season.
But seeing as this is the Ireland forum :) he still is our #1 right back and probably should be the case up to the qualifiers.
Another people forget about him is the personal hassle he went through a while back whilst still delivering good performances for club and country. He was poor in Cyprus and unfortunately this clouded many supporters opinion of him I think, when was consistently better than most in a green jersey.
When you think how he was moved around at the expense of Stephen Carr earlier in his Ireland career its funny.

jmurphyc
10/01/2008, 11:24 AM
I've been a fan of Steve Finnan's for a good while now, however I think the injuries have a taken a toll on him this season, as he hasn't been as solid for Liverpool, and while he was never that quick, he has been skinned quite a few times this season, which wasn't the case before.
But seeing as this is the Ireland forum :) he still is our #1 right back and probably should be the case up to the qualifiers.
Another people forget about him is the personal hassle he went through a while back whilst still delivering good performances for club and country. He was poor in Cyprus and unfortunately this clouded many supporters opinion of him I think, when was consistently better than most in a green jersey.
When you think how he was moved around at the expense of Stephen Carr earlier in his Ireland career its funny.

Whilst he hasn't been at his best this season, I'd say he may be carrying an injury. I'd say he'll be back to his best soon enough and fully expect him to stay there next season.

Stuttgart88
10/01/2008, 11:31 AM
He's in good shape generally so I expect a few more years from Finnan yet.

irishfan86
10/01/2008, 10:44 PM

I doubt he'll move, he's just signed a new contract, and even if he's not a regular starter, Benitez's rotation policy will keep his legs fresh and extend his career.....now if Benitez goes anything could happen.

Kingdom
11/01/2008, 9:41 AM
I doubt he'll move, he's just signed a new contract, and even if he's not a regular starter, Benitez's rotation policy will keep his legs fresh and extend his career.....now if Benitez goes anything could happen.

Apologies, I probably worded my post incorrectly. I've no doubt he will be an integral part of the Irish set up till the end of the 2010 qualifiers and the finals itself if we were lucky enough to qualify.
I don't believe he'll be first choice at Liverpool next season, even if Benitez is still manager, I imagine Arbeloa will be first choice and i'm not sure if its in Steve's interests to be a back up.

irishfan86
11/01/2008, 10:59 AM
Apologies, I probably worded my post incorrectly. I've no doubt he will be an integral part of the Irish set up till the end of the 2010 qualifiers and the finals itself if we were lucky enough to qualify.
I don't believe he'll be first choice at Liverpool next season, even if Benitez is still manager, I imagine Arbeloa will be first choice and i'm not sure if its in Steve's interests to be a back up.

If I recall correctly, Finnan played more minutes than any other Liverpool outfield player last season...now I'm not saying things can't change, but Benitez really rates him.

Kingdom
11/01/2008, 11:03 AM
I don't disagree. I watch Liverpool more than any other team in the Epl and Steve is one of my favourites for club and country, I just think, that his time is coming. Yes, he has been hampered by niggly injuries this season, and is still good enough for both club and country, I just think he's going to go with Arbeloa next season.

irishfan86
11/01/2008, 11:10 AM
I don't disagree. I watch Liverpool more than any other team in the Epl and Steve is one of my favourites for club and country, I just think, that his time is coming. Yes, he has been hampered by niggly injuries this season, and is still good enough for both club and country, I just think he's going to go with Arbeloa next season.

I think we're more on the same side than anything.

I agree with you in that I keep waiting for him to slow down, but he's keeping up very well.

Liverpool play so many games, even if he is reduced to just playing half the games that'll be fine.

I think he's helped by the fact that he didn't overly rely on pace throughout his career. He's not slow, but it's more the fact that he never had blistering pace to begin with that has helped him continue on past 30 here at this standard.

Compare that to Stephen Carr, who relied on his pace early in his career...once he came back from his serious injuries and his pace was gone he was just an overpaid below average defender relying on his past reputation.

Emmet
11/01/2008, 5:02 PM
I'd expect Finnan to remain as Liverpool's first choice RB for next season assuming he remains injury-free and Benitez does not leave. Arbeloa is a good player technically but he is often caught out of position and makes many more mistakes than Finnan. I have always rated Finnan - he is a modern day Dennis Irwin (minus the freekicks!) ... no frills but ultra dependable. At Liverpool he is up there with Gerrard Carragher and Torres in terms of his importance to the club.

I'd agree also with the comments made previously in this thread about Kerr's selection policy with Finnan; either on the bench or at left-back was woeful. How on earth he could put Carr above Finnan is really really hard to fathom!

Maroon 7
11/01/2008, 6:19 PM

Well he's not getting any younger now but I still think he'll be at Liverpool next season and while he probably won't play every game like he has most seasons I'm sure he'll get his fair share.

ramsfan
11/01/2008, 6:21 PM
finnan is totally underrated by all, he is quality , throughout numerous liverpool managers he has continously been the one to avoid there rotation policies , aregular in not so regular teams and also he has seen off the players liverpool have brought in to challenge him
he is in the mould of dennis irwin, great pro gets on with job and you dont here him talikng himself up on telly ever five minutes and he doesnt have to seen in heat magazine every week like ashley cole

tetsujin1979
11/01/2008, 9:20 PM
Didn't Carragher say something like "I'm not afraid of Steve Finnan, other players have come here and I'm still the first choice right full". Then he was promptly moved to centre half!

OwlsFan
22/01/2008, 3:09 PM
Well, I hope he isn't too great a role model for our players, retiring at just 31 from international football.

We can ill afford to be losing players of that quality!!

TheBoss
22/01/2008, 3:12 PM
Owls you want players who want to play for country not players that dont want too.

OwlsFan
22/01/2008, 3:15 PM
Owls you want players who want to play for country not players that dont want too.

I agree but I worry about the reaction of other players to the "role model" retiring in his prime. Much easier to stay at home in their million pound mansions than board a plane to Georgia to play for Ireland for a couple of grand or whatever the match fee is.

The writing is on the wall for international football and has been for a while.

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 3:21 PM
The writing is on the wall for international football and has been for a while.True unfortunately. The African players seem to care a lot more though, which is a positive.

Even our own association devalues the status of international football. It hands out caps to players whose merit is highly questionable and it belittles the underage tournaments that we did so well in a decade ago.

geysir
22/01/2008, 3:50 PM
Internationals are about the Finals of Tournaments now, I don't see any sign that that is fading.

OwlsFan
23/01/2008, 9:59 AM
How do you get to a final of a tournament if you've retired from the team in the first place :confused:?

Stuttgart88
23/01/2008, 10:01 AM
Internationals are about the Finals of Tournaments now, I don't see any sign that that is fading.I'd agree with that.

Is it becoming increasingly an insiders' club now with all the seeded teams (bar England!) qualifying, most without much bother and some leaving it late?

Morbo
23/01/2008, 12:10 PM
Which makes it all the more important that players for fringe teams like us don't retire prematurely in order to give us the best chance of qualifying, top teams can afford to have their stars retire for the qualifiers and come out of retirement once they qualify and it doesn't really matter to the crap teams but to us Finnans retirement has probably halved our chances of qualifying, hope he wasn't too much of a role model indeed

geysir
23/01/2008, 12:14 PM
How do you get to a final of a tournament if you've retired from the team in the first place :confused:?
You won't.
Finnan reckons he will be too old for wc2010. The qualifiers are not enough on their own without the carrot of the Finals.
Tournament Finals are the International soccer showpiece nowadays for fans and players. Surely that does not need furthur explanation.

Brady in the Dalymount docum referred to a time when friendlies were real challenges with the gauntlet firmly thrown down into the centre circle.
Those days are gone. The focus has shifted.

Finnan's resolve might have been different if he wasn´t ignored under Kerr and better used by Staunton, who knows?

Kingdom
23/01/2008, 12:22 PM
You won't.
Finnan reckons he will be too old for wc2010. The qualifiers are not enough on their own without the carrot of the Finals.
Tournament Finals are the International soccer showpiece nowadays for fans and players. Surely that does not need furthur explanation.

Brady in the Dalymount docum referred to a time when friendlies were real challenges with the gauntlet firmly thrown down into the centre circle.
Those days are gone. The focus has shifted.

Finnan's resolve might have been different if he wasn´t ignored under Kerr and better used by Staunton, who knows?

Finally a bit of perspective. A few weeks ago I posted about his injuries and how I felt he'd be fine for this year but after could be a problem, and I stand by that.
He has struggled in some games for Liverpool this season and has been skinned quite noticeably for losing goals already.
Let him on.

Morbo
23/01/2008, 12:25 PM
Yup, Finnan might as well have said that since he will probably be too old for the next WC then he doesn't give a crap if we qualify or not

OwlsFan
25/01/2008, 11:35 AM
Turning his back

Steve Finnan pleaded old age when he hung up his international boots this week insisting the "time is right for a new manager to start bringing younger players through"

By James Lawton
Friday January 25 2008

WHEN Steve Finnan turned his back on Ireland this week he pleaded old age.

No matter that he was younger than Zinedine Zidane when he was talked back into the French team that brushed against an astonishing moment of football history. Finnan was plainly untouched by a hint of remorse.

What, after all, has even a hint of regret, still less shame got to do with the career calculations of a 21st century footballer?

Even though Finnan's achievements, which include a Champions League medal, mean that he would have no reason to shrink into a corner if Zidane walked into the room, he is not a player you would naturally bracket with the fabled Zizou.

However, Finnan's decision to quit international football in his 32nd year does make one point of comparison.

Finnan's explanation of his thinking this week was unequivocal enough to discourage any hope that a new manager of the Irish team will be able to talk him back into a green shirt, but then Zidane seemed equally determined to restrict himself to club football.

He was plainly moving past his zenith with Real Madrid. International football was placed in the margins of his professional life.

But of course he changed his mind and the result was that he came within a stride or two - and one shocking headbutt - of providing the game with what arguably would have been one of its greatest stories in the World Cup final in Berlin in 2006.

Playing in a young, unformed Irish team would not offer much possibility of such potential reward but there is maybe a scrap of reflection to be found in the experience of the Frenchman. Finnan declared: "The time is right for a new manager to start bringing young players through now. I mean, I'll be 34 by the time the World Cup finals come around."

Ambition

Zidane was 34 when he had the world of football in his hands. It was negligent discipline rather than any failure of imagination - or ultimate football ambition that stretched beyond a paycheque - that let it slip.

But Finnan is saying, as so many do these days, that in terms of the international game Zidane was operating in his professional dotage.

What induces most sadness is not that career strategy is plainly the reason for Finnan's rejection of the possibility of playing in his second World Cup finals, which used to represent the apex of a pro's ambition, and is one which was denied such talents as George Best and John Giles, but the dwindling of any sense that in today's football anything is more readily understood than a pro's desire to eke out his years of megaearning power.

Today's footballer does not walk bravely into the dark night. He gets out the calculator. Finnan confirms this in the most reasonable way, and no doubt his decision will be applauded within the game as eminent good sense. Alan Shearer set the pattern long before his days with Newcastle were in doubt. He was going to concentrate on his club career, which meant of course that he was not going to push himself beyond the interests of number one.

The pragmatists didn't see an issue. Why not? Why was a footballer any different to any man who wants to stretch out his earning power?

Possibly because at the level of an internationally recognised footballer, financial survival some time ago became less a challenge than a matter of opulent degree.

Finnan of course was happy enough to appear in the shop window of international football when his club career was in a formative stage, but now that he is a key man at Anfield, a favoured son of Rafa Benitez, why would he stretch his resources on behalf of an Irish team which has in recent memory never been in such need of experienced, accomplished players?

Not, surely, because he was briefly inconvenienced by the selection policies of former Irish coach Brian Kerr?

It appears that he was soured to some degree by the criticism faced by Kerr's successor, Steve Staunton. He announced: "I think it's only fair to let the younger guys have a go." Even if this is the equivalent of sending in the lambs - or some distinctly mediocre mutton - against the qualifying challenge presented by world champions Italy.

It may be a bloodless abdication but it is no less damaging for that.
Finnan is saying, however great is the Irish need, it is no longer a personal priority. It is his right, of course.

Responsibilities

Football has no legislation for the repayment of debts, of acknowledging that there may just be wider responsibilies that are not written down on some sweetheart contract which will be honoured only so long as it suits either of the parties.

For Steve Finnan the football world need not any longer stretch beyond Anfield. He has made his bed - and isn't it a luxurious four-poster? But then no one can say he hasn't been honest.

Unlike the Stephen Ireland case, no grandmothers have been fictitiously slayed, just the romantic old idea that in football there will always be a little more to play for than the next juicy contract.

geysir
25/01/2008, 11:58 AM
So whats the journalist actually saying in the comparison with Zidane and the other 2 who retired from the French national team.
Those great players retired themselves, the next French qual campaign was on the rocks, the french people, media, prime minister and president battered Zidane and the others into submission to return from their exile.
Larsson had also retired from the Swedish team, again he had a similar campaign from supporters media and the prime minister phoning him up asking him to return.

Why should Finnan bother again considering all the slagging that Carr got when he made himself available again. Too many in Ireland are chronic begrudgers and can't even accept a player back from exile with good grace.

Kingdom
25/01/2008, 11:58 AM
I just think its ridiculous that someone who played for us for 7 years, performed well, not giving hassle, keeping himself to himself, is getting abused like this.

Morbo
25/01/2008, 12:12 PM
Because as the article pointed out, he played for Ireland when it was of benifit to him like when he was at Fulham, now that its no longer of benifit to him he chooses not to help his country out, he is entitled to do it but its obvious what motivates him, I'd hardly call it abuse either just pointing out the obvious

Bottle of Tonic
25/01/2008, 12:23 PM
Spot on Morbo.

Finnan could try and help us qualify. If he's too old in 2010 or not good enough to be picked, retire then. It's about the country. Not his potential appearance at the world cup. You don't see the similar aged Carsley and Kilbane , both well used to receiving flak, hanging up their boots cos there is feck all chance they will be picked if we qualify. They want to help us get there, even if it just means being part of the squad. The fans appreciate this.

and geysir, there is no comparison between Finnan and Larsson/Zidane. These were the talismanic figures for their countries and the clamouring for their return was completely different scenario.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2008, 12:43 PM
There should be no vitriol towards Finnan but I can't help feeling that at a time when the team is crying out for experience and leadership, not to mention quality, that he could have hung around for at least the start of the qualification campaign.

"Letting the younger lads have a go" is tantamount to saying "weakening the team and diminishing our chances".

I can understand Finnan's frustrations but the inconvenient fact (for him) was that as well as being our best right back he was also our best left back. We had cover at right back, we didn't really at left back so that's why he was played there so often.

Carr's case was different. He was strongly rumoured to have been disruptive during Kerr's time in charge and never gave the impression that he was really fully committed to playing international football. He was one of the first of the newly wealthy Irish footballers to have become too big for his boots. The Irish public never cared for his attitude, and rightly. Finnan seemed more level headed and down to earth and that's why this is all the more disappointing.

I'd have preferred if he'd waited to hear the new manager's plans.

Also, when he says he's "a right back, full stop" he's being a bit disingenuous. I'm pretty sure he made his debut for Ireland on the right side of midfield, scoring against Finland under McCarthy in a flattering 3-0 win. He has played regularly at right midfield and at left back for Fulham too.

If only everyone had Kevin Kilbane's attitude.

Who'd you have more confidence in? Joey O'Brien or Stephen Kelly? Foley is too young and inexperienced still in my opinion, he needs a season or two yet.

NeilMcD
25/01/2008, 12:46 PM
At right back I think Kelly is a very very fine player. He had one or two indifferent games for Ireland but in Slovakia I could not believe the reviews he got when I came back. Because that night I could clearly see it was more to do with Kilbane giving him no protection whatsoever and getting caught upfield and not been able to get back.

Stuttgart88
25/01/2008, 12:52 PM
I'm still not convinced though half a season at RB playing first team in the Premiership must be good news. I thought he did really well at LB against Germany. Hopefully he'll be up to it.

Joey O'Brien could become another John O'Shea for us. CM, RM, RB and CB potentially. I suspect his versatility will lead to Kelly being favoured as RB.

Wolfie
25/01/2008, 12:54 PM
My gut instinct would be to prefer O'Brien instead of Kelly at this moment.

I think Kelly is prone to over committing himself in the tackle and some of his positional sense is a bit awry at times.

Kingdom
25/01/2008, 12:55 PM
If only everyone had Kevin Kilbane's attitude.

Who'd you have more confidence in? Joey O'Brien or Stephen Kelly? Foley is too young and inexperienced still in my opinion, he needs a season or two yet.

Put our best players in their best positions, or find a system for our best players. Kelly for right back. Megon used Joey in midfield against Newcastle and I'd be interested to see if he stays there. He's a midfielder by trade, who filled in at right back