PDA

View Full Version : Yet another train strike.

MojoPin
08/01/2008, 3:08 PM
arrived at cork train station today at 5 minutes to 3 and the place was in chaos. all trains cancelled due to a lightning strike, upon further investigation it wasn't actual lightning, which refered to the speed of the strike action, but a strike by the guys who maintain the tracks. absolutly appalling behavious on their part. in fairness t the staff of the train station they provided free tea coffee and snacks to everyone and my journey was only delayed by 25 minutes as buses replaced trains very quickly

dahamsta
08/01/2008, 4:24 PM
Heard on Newstalk earlier that it was over shift allocation to just one guy, althought that was breaking news. Apparently everything to Heuston is cancelled for the next few hours, plus Cobh, and a rake over other stuff. East Cork roads'll be lovely and busy for me on the way home.

Kent Station seems to have a serious jobsworth problem. This isn't the first time they've caused mayhem.

adam

pete
08/01/2008, 4:36 PM
Unofficial strike over (http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=320)

Cork seems to have more problems than other Irish Rail regions.

On Christmas Eve they had "Operational Difficulties" on Cork Dublin & Dublin-Cork trains. This was because of lack of drivers to cover absent drivers. I believe this basically translates to original drivers on the pi** & sub drivers on the pi** with them.

Whatever public sympathy there are for actions such as that I think will evaporate in more difficult economic climate this year.

jebus
08/01/2008, 5:04 PM
Aren't Irish Rail trying to persuade us they need to increase their already ridiculous prices too? :o

mypost
08/01/2008, 6:09 PM
arrived at cork train station today at 5 minutes to 3 and the place was in chaos.

Kent Station is normally chaos. They've improved the waiting area, but the entrance to it is unlike anything I've ever seen. Did they ever hear of doors there? Also, what other station in Ireland has a 2 minute long entrance/exit tunnel? :confused: I haven't found one yet.

The CART (Cork-Cobh) service should also be more frequent. And the fares are still going up tomorrow. :(

dahamsta
08/01/2008, 7:58 PM
The lack of doors is a legacy thing, no train stations had doors up until relatively recently. The tunnel is kind of a requirement, what with the hill in the way and all.