PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball

Angus
08/01/2008, 3:03 PM
Anybody know if there is a fantasy Baseball thing ?

Aberdonian Stu - you out there ? You know about this ?

Aberdonian Stu
08/01/2008, 3:20 PM
I know Yahoo do one. I've never organised a baseball league so if someone else takes up the reigns on this I'd be delighted.

DmanDmythDledge
08/01/2008, 3:35 PM
I'd be interested in taking pary anyway. I know there's one on mlb.com but I don't know what it's like.

Aberdonian Stu
08/01/2008, 4:09 PM
Well I found the NFL's own one better than Yahoo, though it was actually just the CBS one with a different name, so I wouldn't be shocked if the same rang true for MLB.

Soko
09/01/2008, 12:24 AM
Yahoo is excellent. Baseball is a far different animal than football though

You have to be committed and can;t leave your teams just waste away as it ruins the league. Trades need to be monitored and the balance of your team is far more important. Plus the scoring has to be clearly defined as it will determine how you draft. The draft is very difficult too unless you have a pretty good knowledge of baseball. Still well worth a pop

DmanDmythDledge
20/03/2008, 12:09 PM
I'm going to set this up now. I'm going to go with points system if that's ok with everyone.

So who's in? Max is 20 (doubt there'll be that many) so first come, first served.

1. Angus
2. Aberdonian Stu
3. DmanDmythDledge
4. Soko

League ID is 234537,

password talkballs

I've set the draft for 9pm this Sunday, can be changed if we can get a time that suits everyone.

Dodge
20/03/2008, 12:24 PM
Played in a previous year but didn't have the time to change my team every day, and the lads that did change every day walked it.

Aberdonian Stu
20/03/2008, 12:57 PM
How does the points sytem work? Would head to head not be more craic?

DmanDmythDledge
20/03/2008, 1:43 PM
How does the points sytem work? Would head to head not be more craic?
You can set the points whatever way you wish. I left it at default-

Run 2 points
Hit .5 points
HR 4 points
RBI 2 points
SB 2 points
IP 1 point
W 5 points
SV 5 points
ER -0.5 points
K 2 points

I can change it to head-to-head if that's what people want. It's done on a weekly basis, 1 points if you win, 0 if you lose and scores are added up at the end of the season.

Aberdonian Stu
20/03/2008, 2:11 PM
It's okay as it is but I reckon it'd be a better buzz in head to head mode. I always felt that the head to head style of the NFL one was a very attractive part of the game.

lofty9
20/03/2008, 2:31 PM
Any link?

Aberdonian Stu
20/03/2008, 4:04 PM
Go here (http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/register/joinleague)

Then select Join Custom, then enter the league ID and password and you're away.

You need a Yahoo ID to enter. It's free and easy to get one.

Aberdonian Stu
20/03/2008, 4:08 PM
What are the important positions in Fantasy Baseball to stock up on early? I know this can vary but are there any general tactics anyone could advise.

In Fantasy NFL the normal tactic is to secure your running backs first, though this season bucked that trend as the wider use of two RB systems means that though there are less studs there are a lot more running backs with value.

Anyone willing to offer up some tips to relative n00bs like myself.

Soko
20/03/2008, 10:20 PM
Depends on the scoring. You can add far more free agents throughout the season than football so a bad draft is not a disaster

Burny89
22/03/2008, 9:55 PM
just signed up, never done fantasy baseball before

Who's around for the draft tomorrow?

DmanDmythDledge
23/03/2008, 4:21 PM
Lads, I changed the time of the draft by 15 minutes but I thought today was the 30th. It's too late to change it back to today so it will have to wait till tomorrow. Sorry about that mistake.:o

What time suits everyone tomorrow? I have it provisionally set for 4pm irish time.

There's only five people signed up at the moment. You need an even amount for head-to-head so if we get one more member I'll change it from points. Only thing is scoring wouldn't start until next week if I do that. Head to head seems better as I think it is less effort as you only make changes to your team once a week.