PDA

View Full Version : eBay - getting money back

paul_oshea
07/01/2008, 4:07 PM
after the dispute time has run out is it up to ebay to pay for any monies that have been parted with and not returned?

The girlfriend ordered some stuff off a user and never got anything for it but the money was paid. This has happened twice ( using my account ) and doesnt know what to do next. i never used ebay for this reason as it happened once before to me and stopped using, thought it was a bit of a joke of a site anyhow but used it a couple of times and then when it happened never used it again. i think she feels the same now ;) :mad:

beautifulrock
07/01/2008, 4:17 PM
Have used Ebay plenty of times and have never had one problem. Think you need to be sensible in what you buy and who you buy off for certain. Look for those people who have positive feedback and have a decent number of transactions behind them. Did she pay by Paypal? If so follow their complaint procedure I am told it is quite robust if a little tedious.

paul_oshea
07/01/2008, 4:21 PM
oh really? ill tell her so.

IT was in fairness a reputable customer(s), with loads of positive feedback around 96%, sure you can only do what ye do, its down to the person and thats exactly why I dont like the site. how can ye trust someone you have no clue about?! ebay should have a promise guarantee of returning the money in a situation like this. but that would cost too much and of course they wouldn't do it, but im sure it would have many more using it.

anto1208
07/01/2008, 4:22 PM
This is why you should check things like feedback etc and use pay pal to make payments. Pay pal payments are insured and can be taken back from the sellers account.

Was the seller a recomended seller ( lots of good feedback or called power seller) if so he prob doesnt want bad feedback and will be helpfull. i presume you have contacted the seller etc and had no joy.

paul_oshea
07/01/2008, 4:29 PM
here anto yer not telling me something i dont already know, one of them was paid through paypal the other was bank transfer as the guy wouldnt take paypal, he had 98& feedback with about 100 transactions and was also a recommended seller.
the other was also a recommended seller, we have had extensive communication from this seller however, but still no goods recieved.

Raheny Red
07/01/2008, 4:47 PM
oh really? ill tell her so.

IT was in fairness a reputable customer(s), with loads of positive feedback around 96%, sure you can only do what ye do, its down to the person and thats exactly why I dont like the site. how can ye trust someone you have no clue about?! ebay should have a promise guarantee of returning the money in a situation like this. but that would cost too much and of course they wouldn't do it, but im sure it would have many more using it.

How many items in total?! I'd never buy something off someone with less than 100% in fairness. However, that doesn't mean stuff like this hasn't happened with folk with 100%. About a year ago it took me three months or so to get a payment off someone on ebay. I reckon she'll get the money back but these things do take time.

noby
07/01/2008, 7:21 PM
As people have mentioned, look at the feedback, not just the percentage (and 96% would be low in my book). Look at what people actually bought, and not just their comments.
"A1 seller" means nothing. Some sellers can sell lots of little items, just to get a good rating, so be wary of someone with positive feedback for selling lots of small value items, who is suddenley selling laptops or something.

beautifulrock
07/01/2008, 7:52 PM
As people have mentioned, look at the feedback, not just the percentage (and 96% would be low in my book). Look at what people actually bought, and not just their comments.

Totally agree and you will notice that is reflected in the price paid for the same goods, hence the reason most buyers strive for a 100% and the main reason why Ebay works for most. So self policied in effect.

anto1208
07/01/2008, 10:02 PM
here anto yer not telling me something i dont already know, one of them was paid through paypal the other was bank transfer as the guy wouldnt take paypal, he had 98& feedback with about 100 transactions and was also a recommended seller.
the other was also a recommended seller, we have had extensive communication from this seller however, but still no goods recieved.

seems strange so, id definetly follow it up with ebay i would think the paypal payment is your best chance of getting something back i seem to remember having your payment "insured" was one of the reasons i used paypal .

Im sure you ve checked this but when the stuff was posted was it registered then the post office should pay compo. I posted something insured it with an post and it got lost and i got money back for it ( not the full amount but something at least)

osarusan
08/01/2008, 12:30 AM
I bought a rugby shirt on ebay - it hadn't arrived after about 4 weeks so I emailed the seller, he was very apologetic and offered to send a new shirt - he managed to drag it out over 60 days, after which point I couldn't file a complaint due to time limits, and I couldn't leave negative feedback either. The seller subsequently ignored every email I sent on the subject.

Luckily, he contacted me through his own email address, so I went on to the vilest, sickest websites I could find and asked for a "daily update/daily email" to be sent to his account. I also went on to those "free credit"type websites and did the same. He should be getting hundreds of emails a day thanks to me.

EAFC_rdfl
08/01/2008, 8:23 AM
I bought a rugby shirt on ebay - it hadn't arrived after about 4 weeks so I emailed the seller, he was very apologetic and offered to send a new shirt - he managed to drag it out over 60 days, after which point I couldn't file a complaint due to time limits, and I couldn't leave negative feedback either. The seller subsequently ignored every email I sent on the subject.

Luckily, he contacted me through his own email address, so I went on to the vilest, sickest websites I could find and asked for a "daily update/daily email" to be sent to his account. I also went on to those "free credit"type websites and did the same. He should be getting hundreds of emails a day thanks to me.

Class!!! must remember that one! like the time the lads subscribed me to fair city text alerts:mad:

Block G Raptor
08/01/2008, 8:31 AM
Talking about ebay revenge, check this out,P-P-Powerbook (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/powerbook.pdf)

KoemansCC
08/01/2008, 11:49 AM
Classic :D

GavinZac
08/01/2008, 12:14 PM
you have to complain before 28 days. I once left it to 30 and lost €200 on a phone. a couple of years later I bought a projector for the world cup but the company selling must have gone bust or something in the mean time as its 100% positive reviews turned 100% negative. I complained within 2 weeks, and got the full sum of €500 back, which i used to buy another from another seller and got that just in time for the end of the world cup.

ebay is a great resource if you're smart about it. Complain after 2 weeks, don't take the "oh it'll just be another week" lines, and target sellers with high reputations.

Dodge
08/01/2008, 12:19 PM
I only ever use e-bay for small stuff like old football programmes.

I didn't use it for a while a few years ago and my a/c was hacked into it. Only noticed when i went to log in and was told the a/c was locked. Found it very hard to find a customer service e-mail address but eventually did and asked what was up. got a call from a guy in India explaining the situation and asking me to change e-mail and passowrd etcs. I was charged for selling goods and they refunded my credit card these charges. Was fairly impressed with the customer service tbh

John83
15/01/2008, 12:25 PM
Have used Ebay plenty of times and have never had one problem. Think you need to be sensible in what you buy and who you buy off for certain. Look for those people who have positive feedback and have a decent number of transactions behind them. Did she pay by Paypal? If so follow their complaint procedure I am told it is quite robust if a little tedious.
http://www.xkcd.com/325/

paul_oshea
15/01/2008, 12:30 PM
she got one back, funnily enough the one with 96% too! :D