PDA

View Full Version : Big one tonight

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
07/01/2008, 11:22 AM
Linfield vs Cliftonville

Wonder what kind of attendance will be there.

Go on Cliftonville

holidaysong
07/01/2008, 12:18 PM
Why is this game on a Monday night - is it on Sky?

Graemerz
07/01/2008, 12:37 PM
Why is this game on a Monday night - is it on Sky?

Yes, SKY Sports 1. 7:30pm.

Raheny Red
07/01/2008, 2:07 PM
Would have predicted a draw for tonight's game but seen that Cliftonville have got a small defensive crisis at the moment so I'll go with a 2-0 home win

holidaysong
07/01/2008, 3:52 PM
Yes, SKY Sports 1. 7:30pm.

Thanks. :ball:

SolitudeRed
07/01/2008, 9:34 PM
0-0 not a bad result for us! we are still 4 points behind now but with 2 games in hand!! Did anyone on here watch it? what did you make of the coverage?

RĂ©iteoir
07/01/2008, 10:33 PM
Pitch was a disgrace

and the crowd looked lost inside Windsor tonight - should have stuck em all in the lower tiers

game weren't bad though

David
08/01/2008, 8:03 AM
Pitch was a disgrace

and the crowd looked lost inside Windsor tonight - should have stuck em all in the lower tiers

game weren't bad though

Pitch hasn't recoved form the Northern Ireland v Denmark game and given the weather we have had recently the groundsman did superbly well to get it to that standard.

Graemerz
08/01/2008, 8:24 AM
Pitch was a disgrace

game weren't bad though

That was the original idea... dunno why it never happened... maybe something to do with the PSNI.

Steve Bruce
08/01/2008, 12:31 PM
Their was a good crowd at the match 1000 or so Cliftonville and around 3000 Bluemen.

Cliftonville may have brought more, hard to tell in the North Stand, we don't normally get crowds in their

waide
08/01/2008, 12:35 PM
Their was a good crowd at the match 1000 or so Cliftonville and around 3000 Bluemen.

Cliftonville may have brought more, hard to tell in the North Stand, we don't normally get crowds in their
Steve i would have estimated 1400 cv and 4000 blues considering from where i was seated in the kop stand the south stand seemed full to capacity.

Jeebus
08/01/2008, 12:48 PM
Good to see that times have changed up there:rolleyes: ............

http://www.presseye.com/photolibrary/image_display.asp?cid=1667&im=36869

:(

GavinZac
08/01/2008, 12:54 PM

Now Jeebus, that is a scurrilous use of a camera and obviously does not reflect the reality of the situation which is that they're simply drying it off.

Right Steve?

Steve Bruce
08/01/2008, 1:29 PM
Oh because 2 or 3 tw@ts do that, the rest of us are the same.

I've no love for the Republics flag at all, but I do not condone the sectarian statement of burning it. 99% of Linfield fans would be against Sectarian chanting/symbols/symbolic gestures.

I'm sure it made a lot of your days seeing that. Some sad people.

SolitudeRed
08/01/2008, 2:42 PM
Steve i would have estimated 1400 cv and 4000 blues considering from where i was seated in the kop stand the south stand seemed full to capacity.

Well according to the Linfield fans favourite Redsman Mr Parker over on the ILS there were 1000 tickets sold by Cliftonville for this match! Probably would have had a few more going if it wasn't for the strict ticketing arrangements!

http://www.presseye.com/photolibrary...=1667&im=36869 (http://www.presseye.com/photolibrary/image_display.asp?cid=1667&im=36869)

Hmmm I think they may get in trouble for that with Belfast city council as burning flags outside of the summer flag burning season is strictly prohibited!:D

Steve Bruce
08/01/2008, 2:50 PM
Well according to the Linfield fans favourite Redsman Mr Parker over on the ILS there were 1000 tickets sold by Cliftonville for this match! Probably would have had a few more going if it wasn't for the strict ticketing arrangements!

Hmmm I think they may get in trouble for that with Belfast city council as burning flags outside of the summer flag burning season is strictly prohibited!:D
My guestimates must be quite accurate then

oh and :D for the 2nd part in bold.

Raheny Red
08/01/2008, 4:22 PM

Ha, it's a bit ironic that the little fire starter is wearing a green jacket whilst being surrounded by plenty of fans in blue :D

Poor Student
08/01/2008, 5:22 PM
Enough on the flag burning lads.

It's the first time I've seen Cliftonville in action and I was a little disappointing. I've read a lot about them being a footballing side but they didn't seem to have a great game. I suppose that's down to them playing Linfield who are a very robust side and a better quality compared to what Cliftonville would normally face. Cliftonville looked very slight by comparison to Linfield's eleven.

Peter Thompson looked industrious and skillful up front but Ferguson seems to be waning in influence. Is he verging on past it?

waide
08/01/2008, 7:46 PM

It's the first time I've seen Cliftonville in action and I was a little disappointing. I've read a lot about them being a footballing side but they didn't seem to have a great game. I suppose that's down to them playing Linfield who are a very robust side and a better quality compared to what Cliftonville would normally face. Cliftonville looked very slight by comparison to Linfield's eleven.

Peter Thompson looked industrious and skillful up front but Ferguson seems to be waning in influence. Is he verging on past it?
Five years ago. i know i'm going to get stick from my fellow bluemen.

waide
08/01/2008, 7:54 PM

Peter Thompson looked industrious and skillful up front but Ferguson seems to be waning in influence. Is he verging on past it?Both sides didn't do themselves justice last night,cliftonville are a better footballing side than what they looked last night,and linfields last couple of five nil wins have the exeption rather than the rule.Although we are sitting top we haven't started to play anything like bluemen have come to expect this past few seasons,if the blues don't get their act together the title is in real danger of going east or north belfast.

Mr_Parker
09/01/2008, 7:33 AM

1875 Bluemen and 1287 Redsmen.

Mr_Parker
09/01/2008, 7:40 AM
Pitch was a disgrace

Upper teirs were used in case of bad weather. Reds fans were happy enough with that as you get a much better view.

3 of our normal back 4 were unavailable due to suspension and injury which lead to having a major shake up in who played where and we certainly could not play our normal shape. One of the back 4 who did play, played through the pain barrier with a major injury but so depleted was our squad we had little choice but to play him. With all that considered I was happy to come away with a point and put the title challange back into our own hands.

Graemerz
09/01/2008, 10:04 AM

Complete and utter ballix. Atleast 2500 Bluemen was at the game. The Cliftonville figure may be right though.

Graemerz
09/01/2008, 10:08 AM

Past it atleast 2 years ago. Still could be used as a bit part player and can play against the likes of Limavady, Armagh, Larne, Donegal Celtic etc. Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team against Glens, Reds, Ports and Setanta Cup opposition.

Mr_Parker
09/01/2008, 10:33 AM
Complete and utter ballix. Atleast 2500 Bluemen was at the game. The Cliftonville figure may be right though.

Those figures are from Linfield FC so unless they are talking ballix...:rolleyes:

waide
09/01/2008, 11:17 AM
Those figures are from Linfield FC so unless they are talking ballix...:rolleyes:MP you were at the match,do you think the figures linfield quoted are correct?

Graemerz
09/01/2008, 11:53 AM
Those figures are from Linfield FC so unless they are talking ballix...:rolleyes:

Very likely.

waide
09/01/2008, 12:05 PM
Graemerz,it really annoys me that linfield come off with figures like this we do ourselves or the IL no favours.

Steve Bruce
09/01/2008, 1:43 PM

There was nearly as many blue men in the Kop as their was in the North Stand. I find those figures very very questionable.

Steve Bruce
09/01/2008, 1:45 PM

In a word - YES

Mr_Parker
09/01/2008, 11:04 PM
Very likely.

In a word - YES

"Computer says no" ;)

Not Brazil
10/01/2008, 8:46 AM
1875 Bluemen

:D

That was just the Viewing Lounge.

Not Brazil
10/01/2008, 8:47 AM

They are.;)

David
10/01/2008, 12:13 PM

Not the figures that I got from Linfield FC.

Steve Bruce
10/01/2008, 2:33 PM
Not the figures that I got from Linfield FC.

Which where?

Graemerz
10/01/2008, 3:15 PM
Which where?

12,000 :D

LeviathanNI
10/01/2008, 4:12 PM
Depends.. for HMG Tax and Revenue, it was 10 Cliftonville and 30 of us.. and everyone at the club is a volunteer, so no pay :)

I would say it was about 3 or 4 to 1 (Us to Reds).. regarding the seating arrangements, we all thought that the Reds were going to be on the lower deck, but alas no.. and the pitch.. lets just say that it is doubtful it will be better this season. The Denmark game cut it up so bad, then with the snow and rain, it is ruined for the season I would say.. which is pretty bad for the groundsman, as he had it beautiful before that match :(

SolitudeRed
10/01/2008, 8:40 PM
So there was 1287 Redsmen thats a pretty good crowd considering the strict ticketing arrangements!

So how many Linfield fans were at the match then if the figure given by Parker and Linfield is incorrect?

PS If Linfield FC are lying (as is being claimed here) I find it strange that a club which doesn't want to play football on a Sunday has no qualms about lying about its own attendance figures:confused:

David
11/01/2008, 7:31 AM
Which where?

3500 with around over 900 away. Not sure if this takes into consideration those that used side gate which apparently there were quite a few given the queues.

Steve Bruce
11/01/2008, 11:08 AM
3500 with around over 900 away. Not sure if this takes into consideration those that used side gate which apparently there were quite a few given the queues.

The side gate was used for ST holders so you would find a few hundred probably wasn't included in the attendance.

So my estimate of 3000 Linfield 1000 Cliftonville wouldn't have been far off.

BleusAvantTout
12/01/2008, 8:41 AM
I estimated the crowd to have been, 4,200.

sullanefc
12/01/2008, 10:34 AM

Will these guys be banned or given medals?

Raheny Red
12/01/2008, 3:55 PM

This image made the center page of today's Star

Poor Student
12/01/2008, 4:43 PM
Enough on the flag issue.

osarusan
13/01/2008, 9:42 AM

Why is the flag issue off limits?

I think it is a relevant topic, seeing as it concerns the fans of a football team in the Irish league.

sullanefc
13/01/2008, 9:44 AM

Why is the flag issue off limits?

I think it is a relevant topic, seeing as it concerns the fans of a football team in the Irish league.

I agree osarusan. It is a concern. I have started a new thread on it so I won't be accused of taking this thread off-topic and also to keep Poor Student happy.

Poor Student
13/01/2008, 6:57 PM
I agree osarusan. It is a concern. I have started a new thread on it so I won't be accused of taking this thread off-topic and also to keep Poor Student happy.

The rule of the forum is to keep discussion football related. Before some pedant tries to claim "well it happened at a football match", the implications of the rule are obvious and are being repeated now, stick to on the pitch matters or take your points to another forum. Also, this is not the place to deabte this rule, any more on the matter and this thread will be locked.

GavinZac
14/01/2008, 10:27 AM
football, eh?

A face
14/01/2008, 11:07 AM
The rule of the forum is to keep discussion football related. Before some pedant tries to claim "well it happened at a football match", the implications of the rule are obvious and are being repeated now, stick to on the pitch matters or take your points to another forum. Also, this is not the place to deabte this rule, any more on the matter and this thread will be locked.

I just want to second that. There is a time and place for that debate and its not on here right now. No more lads.

Graemerz
14/01/2008, 12:57 PM
The issue of the foreign flag being burned really has given people the chance to take a swipe at Linfield even though they strive to eradicate this type of behaviour. Although I dont find it any more offensive than a flag which has the image of a man which celebrates the murder of millions of Chinese and Russians which was prominent in the North Stand.