PDA

View Full Version : Kilkenny might not be around next season.

Philly
05/01/2008, 6:30 PM
Did anybody else see the article in the Star today? Mr Rhatigan is no longer able to run the club due to ill health, and is struggling to find anybody else to take over the reigns. The club has a manageable debt of 50k, but that is still a debt that is hard to pay off when you are Kilkenny City I guess. Their wage bill last season was 2k. The article says the FAI are following things closely but negotiations with a potential investor have broken down and the club may not be around for next season if nobody comes in to invest or run it.

Sad stuff. Hopefully somebody saves the club. :ball:

Lim till i die
05/01/2008, 6:33 PM
Damn it.

Would really miss Kilkenny :(

The cynic in me also reckons the FAI wont be overly concerned with those A-League applicants waiting in the wings.............

LeixlipRed
05/01/2008, 6:38 PM
It'd be very sad if they went out of business. Small club with very little support but the few times I've seen them they always have one or two smashing young players

Keen2win
05/01/2008, 6:45 PM
Not a nice photo:eek:

A face
05/01/2008, 6:52 PM
Not a nice photo:eek:

What? A photo with the article, what is it?

Anyone got a link?

half_full
05/01/2008, 7:30 PM
Would be sad to see them go, good ground and well run financially. Pity they have only 200 or so supporting them. I think their biggest problem though is that they have not used more locals on the pitch and in other roles.

Martinho II
06/01/2008, 8:59 PM
awful sad to see kilkenny city go to the wall... always had a great night in kilkenny wheneever we were up there.. best of luck lads..

patcorr
10/01/2008, 7:36 PM
It is very sad indeed.Unfortunatly the fans seem to have gotten fed up with little or no success and had very little enthusiasm left to give. Hopefully it will work out. Jimmy Rhatigan has done a lot for the club, but he is only one man and can only do so much. It is looking bleak and time is running out for the new season.

A face
10/01/2008, 8:30 PM
It is very sad indeed.Unfortunatly the fans seem to have gotten fed up with little or no success and had very little enthusiasm left to give. Hopefully it will work out. Jimmy Rhatigan has done a lot for the club, but he is only one man and can only do so much. It is looking bleak and time is running out for the new season.

PAt, how is Jim doing health wise? Will he be back to normal soon?

patcorr
12/01/2008, 4:55 PM
I don't know to be honest. I have not spoken to the man in a long time, and have not heard anything really through any of my family either. The last I heard was that he was coming along but don't know to what level that really meant.

amjl
17/01/2008, 10:46 AM
The Kilkenny People had the story on the front page again this week.

Kilkenny it seems are destined to drop out of Division 1 after 20 years in senior football, to a the "A" Championship to give the club a "breather".

John delaney is quoted as as saying something along the lines of "It'll be big loss to the Association and to senior football in Kilkenny, blah blah blah". Delaney is due to meet Jim Rhatigan upon his return from Bulgaria to sort it out.

:( Its not looking so good for us now....

KevB76
17/01/2008, 12:18 PM
Not looking good indeed, although a drop to A-championship is surely preferable to going out of existence entirely.

At least you have some idea whats going to happen, for us the uncertainty continues :(

amjl
17/01/2008, 2:39 PM
Not looking good indeed, although a drop to A-championship is surely preferable to going out of existence entirely.

At least you have some idea whats going to happen, for us the uncertainty continues :(

A Championship or bust? I'll take the A championship please.

It'll be very interesting seeing what happens this season going amateur in the 3rd tier! Hopefully something could happen in the meantime to keep us in the the 1st Division as its not confirmed yet but its looking more & more likely as the days go on. Now I know how the Shels fans felt last year!

L37 got a mention in the article too. It's looking a little better for you by the sounds of it but simply because Delaney doesn't want to lose a senior soccer team in the country's 3rd largest city as it doesn't look good for d'association. But we're all still in the dark over this.

Bluebeard
17/01/2008, 4:20 PM
It will be an awful shame if you do go - The Cats are a very friendly club. It could be a hard road back for yis.

higgins
17/01/2008, 4:40 PM
Can some Kilkenny fans not come together and help the club out ??

It doesn't seem to be a money matter thats keeping you from taking your place in the first division. Theres plenty of fans involvment at other clubs and not a lot would be required to keep the show on the road for next season ?

Are the fans doing anything to help Jim out ?

Den Perry
17/01/2008, 6:52 PM
Can some Kilkenny fans not come together and help the club out ??

It doesn't seem to be a money matter thats keeping you from taking your place in the first division. Theres plenty of fans involvment at other clubs and not a lot would be required to keep the show on the road for next season ?

Are the fans doing anything to help Jim out ?

What's all this one man band thing? there was a committee / board of directors there all along

higgins
17/01/2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah but hasn't Caroline left the club ?
and Jim is reported to be not in the best of health ?

Can the rest of the committee not carry on as normal with one or two more coming along to help out.

RonnieB
18/01/2008, 8:12 AM
Reports today that the efforts to save the club have failed? Is this true lads? Hope it isnt I for one would be sorry to see ye leave EL football. :(