PDA

View Full Version : Gigs for 2008.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sam_Heggy
04/01/2008, 10:09 AM
Was just wondering if there is many big acts coming to Eire this year. Velvet revolver are in the ambassador the 12th and 13th of march but other than that is there any others confirmed?
I know theres the rumour that Zepplin could be playing Phoenix or Slane but other than that................................

passinginterest
04/01/2008, 11:44 AM
Bon Jovi in Punchestown in June.
Tickets already purchased.
I don't class myself as a music fan of any kind by the way, the girlfriend is a massive fan and the last gig at Croke Park was a good show.

Wolfie
04/01/2008, 11:52 AM
Radiohead
Bruce Springsteen

stann
04/01/2008, 1:54 PM
Eels in Vicar St in March.
Tickets were a surprise Christmas pressie, nice!

Sam_Heggy
04/01/2008, 2:31 PM
I don't class myself as a music fan of any kind by the way, the girlfriend is a massive fan and the last gig at Croke Park was a good show.

Never mention those 2 words in Finn Park if you value your life. Living on a prayer is an out-lawed song in these parts. Oh no I've said to much................... (long story)

holidaysong
04/01/2008, 2:41 PM
Eels in Vicar St in March.
Tickets were a surprise Christmas pressie, nice!

Seen them (him) there before - quality show!

I'm going to see The Breeders there in April, I can't wait. :)

Anto McC
04/01/2008, 4:02 PM
Mark Knopfler - RDS
Dropkick Murphys - not sure where

ForzaHoop
04/01/2008, 4:07 PM
01/31
Dublin, Ireland
Tripod
tickets; with The Briggs

bennocelt
04/01/2008, 5:57 PM

but come on------Bon jovi!:eek:

Martinho II
04/01/2008, 6:15 PM
Seen them (him) there before - quality show!

I'm going to see The Breeders there in April, I can't wait. :)

didnt know that the lead singer with the breeders used to be in the pixies..

DaveyCakes
04/01/2008, 6:34 PM
The Cult Olympia, March 4

Lionel Ritchie
04/01/2008, 7:53 PM
Metalitia in Dolans Warehouse on January 19th!!!

Apparently the non-tribute are on the way too later in the year if they ever finish the album ...but frankly - I can't get smashed off my tits at an actual Metallica gig and stagger home in a mood for some heavy metal lovin' :D

:cool:

holidaysong
05/01/2008, 12:44 PM
didnt know that the lead singer with the breeders used to be in the pixies..

Yup, the one and only Kim Deal. She wrote the Pixies song 'Gigantic' and performs it at the Breeders shows.

sonofstan
05/01/2008, 4:30 PM

I don't class myself as a music fan of any kind by the way,.

Clearly...

NavanBohs
05/01/2008, 5:44 PM
Only gigs I have planned are Korn next Sunday & Monday in the Ambassador.

Then I'll do a festival in the summer, thinking of trying out Rock Am Ring in Germany or maybe Download again...possibly Rock Werchter in Belgium

monzo
05/01/2008, 10:56 PM
Yup, the one and only Kim Deal. She wrote the Pixies song 'Gigantic' and performs it at the Breeders shows.

Co-wrote I'll have you know! At least I read that she co-wrote it with Black Francis, while even her ex, John Murphy, had a couple of inputs too.

Black Francis will be at Vicar Street as well, I'm going to that. :)

tetsujin1979
06/01/2008, 12:49 AM
Metalitia in Dolans Warehouse on January 19th!!!
Supposed to be going to that. Was at the Guns'N'Roses tribute on Stephen's night in there too. Quality, even if the crowd was a little disappointing.

SligoBrewer
06/01/2008, 1:19 AM
Bruce hopefully if I can get tickets.. and I might squeeze in one day of oxegen if the Arctic Monkeys are playing.

holidaysong
06/01/2008, 11:38 AM
Co-wrote I'll have you know! At least I read that she co-wrote it with Black Francis, while even her ex, John Murphy, had a couple of inputs too.

Black Francis will be at Vicar Street as well, I'm going to that. :)

Seen him there before with the Catholics in 2003 I think it was, amazing show. I've a ticket to see the Smashing Pumpkins the same night though so I won't make it this time.
In the sleeve notes for Surfer Rosa it says it is co-written alright but by in large the song was 90% Kim Deal, as Frank Black admitted when quizzed about it in an interview I read a few years back.

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2008, 9:29 AM
Supposed to be going to that. Was at the Guns'N'Roses tribute on Stephen's night in there too. Quality, even if the crowd was a little disappointing.

Disappointing? how so? as in small? that'd be very surprising for a Stephens night. Usually jammers whoever's on.

tetsujin1979
07/01/2008, 10:14 AM
Disappointing? how so? as in small? that'd be very surprising for a Stephens night. Usually jammers whoever's on.
Yeah, wasn't packed, you could have arrived anytime up until 10:30 and probably got a seat. The upstairs bar wasn't open either

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2008, 3:33 PM
Wow! Probably for the best mind. My own experience of Stephens night is that there's a lot of party people (and no small amount of messers) who've little interest in the gigs and are there coz "everybody's out tonight"

Green_Hoop
08/01/2008, 9:51 AM
Not Ireland but.... Jack Johnson with Mason Jennings and G Love and special sauce playing Hyde Park,London 3rd of July.

Torn-Ado
14/01/2008, 4:51 PM
Not Ireland either but I'll be going to the Smashing Pumpkins in Stockholm in March.

Good stuff.

razor
15/01/2008, 7:31 AM
Cypress Avenue here in Cork have the Sultans of Ping for 2 nights March 7th & 8th, Friday the 7th might be a good night, if we're at home, as its the first weekend of the season.
The Dykeenies are playing on Friday Feb 15th and the Wombats are also pencilled in for Sunday May 25th.

MojoPin
15/01/2008, 3:55 PM
frank and walters are also on the 7th march in crane lane! pure cork

jebus
17/01/2008, 12:04 PM
2ManyDJS playing Spirit on the 25th of this month, Vitalic are on in March, but other than that there's nowt on the cards for me.

The recent PJ Harvey gig in the Olympia will take some beating though

Lionel Ritchie
19/01/2008, 6:47 PM
There's a few gigs I'd like to get to but maybe won't ...American Music Club in Dolans on the 29th, Dropkick Murphys in Dublin on the 31st ...but tonight I'm off to see Metallitia. :cool:

ALRIIIIIGHT!!!! DIG!!!!

:D

The Good Son
28/01/2008, 12:12 PM
Woo Hoo!!
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dublin Castle May 3rd. It's been a while since he was here with a full Bad Seeds line up, 2001 in the Olympia I think.

Sam_Heggy
28/01/2008, 1:03 PM
Going to see The Irish Pink Floyd in Letterkenny 14th Feb.
Anyone seen these guys? Are they any good?

Sam_Heggy
30/01/2008, 8:47 AM
I might be going to Madrid for the 30th May. Its a 3 day music festival with Metallica and RATM headlining :D Tickets on sale in Feb.
Anyone know any Spanish? (http://astindu.sareweb.net/story/metallica-eta-rage-against-the-machine-electric-weekend-jaialdira) Also rumoured to be playing Reading in August.

NeilMcD
30/01/2008, 11:41 PM
I hate tribute bands.

Radiohead should be good in June and the Boss should be great also but very very pricey. Lets hope Led Zep plane Slane, its the only way you would ge me there again as its a lot of hassle to get there and back.

Electric Picnic should be fantastic again I am glad it does not clash with the trips away for the Ireland matches.

Wolfie
31/01/2008, 8:16 AM
I hate tribute bands.

Radiohead should be good in June and the Boss should be great also but very very pricey. Lets hope Led Zep plane Slane, its the only way you would ge me there again as its a lot of hassle to get there and back.

Electric Picnic should be fantastic again I am glad it does not clash with the trips away for the Ireland matches.

Yep - have the ticket for the Boss and hoping to make it to Radiohead as well.

The last Slane gig I was at was the Verve in 1998 and I swore I wouldn't be back.

If Led Zep play - I'll walk to bloody Slane and back though.

I'd treat it with the reverence of a Tenacious D-like "Quest" to see the Lords of Rock!!!!!

Sam_Heggy
31/01/2008, 9:05 PM
I was in slane for the Queens of the stone age, Foo Fighters and Chiilis, it was a great gig but a crap venue. Swore it would take a huge act to bring me back. Was thinking of going last year to the stones but Harps played Derry in the cup that night so it made up my mind for me.
Wolfie, I'll join ya in your quest, bare foot I presume?

boovidge
01/02/2008, 6:13 AM
i'll probably be off to Wacken festival in Germany again this year. Great craic last time!

There's also rumour of a Michael Jackson tour which would be pretty sweet :D

Wolfie
01/02/2008, 12:32 PM
Wolfie, I'll join ya in your quest, bare foot I presume?

Yep. Barefoot with hooded cloaks and lit torches.

bennocelt
01/02/2008, 7:15 PM
See that Razorlight are playing on the same bill as Bon Jovi
Surely a bit of a mismatch
Reminded me of the Pogues who had a x-mas concert with the family band (the kelly family?) from germany........what was there name? It was a total mismatch with both set of fans arriving and leaving at different times. Am i correct/wrong about this event happening?

Wangball
03/02/2008, 1:29 PM
I have tickets for Springsteen in the RDS & also for Jason Isbell in Whelans on the 1st of April, he used to be in The Drive By Truckers...listen out for him, he's pretty great

Beavis
05/02/2008, 12:11 PM
Broken Social Scene - Vicar Street in March should be a buzz.
Radiohead,obviously (I'll go both days if I can:)), and probably skip Oxegen this year for the first time in 4 years after the disgraceful treatment of the music goers last year (did f u c k all to alleviate the agonising mud situation on routeways), and EP is a definite this year after a taste last year, and will warm me up the liver nicely before the away qualifiers.

jebus
05/02/2008, 1:41 PM
Teagan and Sara in the Button Club in Fev
Grant Lee Philips in Whelans in April
The National in the Olympia in May

are a few on my radar at the moment

passinginterest
05/02/2008, 3:01 PM
See that Razorlight are playing on the same bill as Bon Jovi
Surely a bit of a mismatch
Reminded me of the Pogues who had a x-mas concert with the family band (the kelly family?) from germany........what was there name? It was a total mismatch with both set of fans arriving and leaving at different times. Am i correct/wrong about this event happening?

Yeah Razorlight are supporting Bon Jovi. Last time they played it was Nickleback. Don't see a massive gap between the fans of both to be honest. I know I'll enjoy it anyway.

Didn't Razorlight sell all their crdibility with that 'America' song? Should be a perfect match.

Dr. Ogba
06/02/2008, 12:32 PM
good gigs coming up....

Iron & Wine - Olympia 11th May
Sons & Daughters - Whelans 17th Feb
The National - Olympia 14th and 15th May
Broken Social Scene - Vicar Street 20th May

Possibly worth checking out:
The Wombats - Whelans 26th May
La Rocca - Crawdaddy 1st March

Rocky77
07/02/2008, 2:20 PM
Looking forward to Velvet Revolver in the Olympia in March.

kingdom hoop
20/02/2008, 4:18 PM
Anyone thinking of going to Mr. Scruff in The Button Factory (venue formerly known as Temple Bar Music Centre) this Saturday? Got my ticket today; €24. About two thirds of tickets are sold so I'd say you'd want to pre-buy to avoid disappointment on the night. I've never seen him live before but supposedly his sets are brilliant; a diverse mix, building up through the genres from hip-hop to banging electro. Should be a good one I'd say. Haven't been to the venue since its facelift either so looking forward to seeing how it looks and sounds. Used to love the previous incarnation.

Also on my gig radar, and somewhat more high-brow, is Blood Brothers in The Gaiety on Friday. :eek: (got given free tickets!) Haven't been to a musical in years so should be interesting. Not at all sure what to wear though!

Finally, Digitalism are coming to Ireland in April, with your choice of days, either UCD Student Bar on Thursday 10th April, or The Button Factory the following night. Tickets for the UCD one are already on sale. I'll probably head to that one if anyone wants to come with me. :D

jebus
21/02/2008, 11:57 AM
I'm meant to be heading to the Button Factory Digitalism gig if you're interested Hoop, one of the lads in work is on about Mr.Scruff too so I might see you at that one and all

kingdom hoop
21/02/2008, 1:35 PM
I kind of want to go to the UCD one to be honest (friend running it).

I'd say Mr. Scruff should be good, a bit different, not your usual crazy, frenetic affair. Tickets are expensive alright though is the only thing. Shur you've loads of money so you may as well go! You might also be interested in Todd Terje tomorrow night in Rí Rá, a steal at €10. Again kind of a range of genres, should be very good if you're at a loose end.

Billsthoughts
21/02/2008, 2:08 PM
La Rocca - Crawdaddy 1st March

Really looking forward to this...

Docboy
21/02/2008, 3:38 PM
Busy St Patrick's weekend in store with DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist on March 14th in Tripod and Neville Staples & The Beat on March 16th in Spirit or whatever it's called now. Should be a good one.

kingdom hoop
21/02/2008, 3:50 PM
Spirit or whatever it's called now.

The Academy I think.

Was thinking about DJ Shadow alright but have heard mixed reports on live sets. Anyone seen him before that can rebuke the doubters? I would've thought he'd be class.

jebus
21/02/2008, 6:00 PM
The Academy I think.

Was thinking about DJ Shadow alright but have heard mixed reports on live sets. Anyone seen him before that can rebuke the doubters? I would've thought he'd be class.

Saw him twice, thought he was terrible twice. Plays really oppressive come down music at times, just not what I want from my night out to be honest. Krafty Kuts is absolutely blinding however