PDA

View Full Version : Predictions

Pages : [1] 2

Keen2win
04/01/2008, 8:47 AM
Just to get us thinking about the new season...
Premier Devision: Drogheda Utd.
First Devision: Shelbourne:(
Cup: Derry City
Player Of The Season: ?????
Manager Of The Season: Paul Doolin

What do ye think... (Feel free to make a few extra categories if you so wish!)

Hibs4Ever
04/01/2008, 9:29 AM
Premier: Drogs
1st Div: Waterford
FAI Cup: St Pats Ath
League Cup: Derry City

Relegated: UCD

BrayUnknowns
04/01/2008, 10:24 AM
Premier: Drogheda United
Relegated: Cobh Ramblers, Galway United, Finn Harps
1st Division: Shelbourne
A League: Sporting Fingal
FAI Cup: Bray Wanderers :D
League Cup: Shamrock Rovers
Setanta Cup: Drogheda united

dublin15bohs
04/01/2008, 1:16 PM
Premier: Drogheda United 2nd Bohemians 3rd Cork
Relegated: Cobh Ramblers, Galway United, Finn Harps
1st Division:Waterford
FAI Cup: Bohemians
League Cup: Shamrock Rovers

passinginterest
04/01/2008, 1:36 PM
Premier: Drogheda, hard to look beyond them, Pat's and Bohs should improve.
Relegated: Cobh Ramblers, Finn Harps, UCD (it'll be tight all the way, Bray, Sligo and Galway far from safe)
1st Division: Dundalk (Waterford look pretty strong too, should be tight enough don't see one outstanding team)
FAI Cup: Derry City
League Cup: Cork City

Olander
04/01/2008, 1:39 PM
Premier: Drogheda United
Relegated: Harps&Cobh&UCD. Bray not far off.
1st Division: Dundalk
FAI Cup: Derry City
League Cup: Bohs

holidaysong
04/01/2008, 1:45 PM
Premier - Drogheda
Relegated - Finn Harps, Cobh and Bray
First Division - Dundalk FC
FAI Cup - Bohemians
League Cup - Shamrock Rovers

Schumi
04/01/2008, 1:48 PM
Premier: Drogheda
Relegated: Cobh, Harps and Bray
First Division: Waterford
FAI Cup: Sligo
League Cup: Derry, who else?

placid casual
04/01/2008, 2:31 PM
champions - Rovers
relegated - cork(for financial irregularities) & an other.
nutsy to last until september 08
john delaney to resign midsummer
AIL idea put to bed until 2010.

De Town
04/01/2008, 2:41 PM
Prem champs - Drogs, with Bohs strong contenders
Relegated - Galway, Cobh, UCD
1st champs - Tight between Dundalk, Waterford and Shels. Dundalk to win it though.
Cup - Derry
Lg. Cup - Derry

finnpark
04/01/2008, 4:29 PM
Last year I predicted Drogs and Harps, unlucky with harps who were 11/2 at the time. Drogs were 7/1 during pre season.

Premier Division
Bohemians (NAP) - Only conceded goals in around 10 games last season. Have added to squad with Killian Brennan who will create a lot and Jason Byrne who should replace Crowe. I think that they are sure for a top 2 finish despite having a rubbish manager.

First Division
Dundalk - Knocking on the door for a while now. Waterford are plain useless and Shels or Athlone could take 2nd place.

Cups
A total guess but Droghrda are due a good run so I will go for them.

Relegation
Cobh bottom, UCD/Galway/Harps/Bray to battle it out for other 2 posutions. Probably Harps and UCD should be favs to join Cobh. Sligo could also be drawn down there if they lose many more players.

MojoPin
04/01/2008, 4:35 PM

Relegation
Cobh bottom, UCD/Galway/Harps/Bray to battle it out for other 2 posutions. Probably Harps and UCD should be favs to join Cobh. Sligo could also be drawn down there if they lose many more players.

why are cobh bottom when harps have a worse record than us this last season?

DmanDmythDledge
04/01/2008, 4:36 PM
Premier Division
Pats
Cork
Bohs
Drogs
Rovers
Bray
Derry
Galway
Sligo
UCD
Harps
Cobh

First Division
Dundalk
Shels

Tis-smeee
04/01/2008, 4:45 PM
Prem champs - Pats
Relegated - Sligo, Cobh, Galway
1st champs - Waterford
Cup - Waterford
Lg. Cup - Waterford :D
A division promotion - Fingal
First Division Relegation - Wexford Youths

dancinpants
04/01/2008, 4:59 PM

Why did Finn Harps finish below UCD in 2005? :rolleyes: . Its only his opinion man. Just because you come up as 1st Div champs doesn't mean you'll definitely finish higher than the 1st Div runner up in the premier. For what its worth i think he'll be proved right anyway, Harps seem to be taking more steps to strengthen the squad, they've a bit more money available and several players are switching to full-time.

Bohs
Drogs
Cork
Derry
Pats
Sham Rovers
Sligo
Galway
Harps
UCD
Bray
Cobh

Div 1: Shels

League Cup: Shams
FAI Cup: Pats (finally)

garyderry
04/01/2008, 5:02 PM

They were a much better team at the end of the season than the start,
and i would expect Higsey to have an even better squad by the start of the
season, with already some good additions, eg, gary beckett, cant see
cobh signing anyone near that standard, and apparently are signing a
few players full time.

Compare that with Cobh manager saying he has no intention of ditching
the players got them there, unless cobh make some serious signings
Harps will be well ahead of them this season.

passerrby
04/01/2008, 5:05 PM
Prem
galway & bray

rel derry, pats, cork

1st Div
Monaghan

rel dundalk

cup wexford youths

thought id bring some common sense to this debate

Sam_Heggy
04/01/2008, 5:40 PM
Paddy Power (http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SOCCER&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=56&ev_type_id=817) reckon the final table will be something like:
Drogs
Pats
Bohs
Cork
Derry
Rovers
Galway
Sligo
Harps
Bray
UCD
Cobh

Id say its just too early to predict the final table. Things are exciting up here, Higsy as mentioned has signed Beckett and has a list of quality players he has approached about signing. He has got rid of some of last seasons squad and in all honesty, Higsy is not a man to show loyalty if he thinks they are not up to scratch.

Martinho II
04/01/2008, 5:52 PM
prem div: drogs
second: bohs( if they get jason byrne)
third: st pats
fai cup: bohs
league cup: st pats
setanta cup: cant see pat drogs
div 1: shels
relegation from top flight: ucd, cobh, sligo rovers

ndrog
04/01/2008, 6:34 PM
Premier Division
Pats
Cork
Bohs
Drogs
Rovers
Bray
Derry
Galway
Sligo
UCD
Harps
Cobh

First Division
Dundalk
Shels

I think its way to early to say unitl we see the new players each club brings in , but how in gods name do you think we will finish fourth as things stand at the minute . With our new signings plus fabio and shane barret back we should be much stronger than last year .And if we can get Ollie Cahill to bother his hole who knows how good we can be :D

bray boy
04/01/2008, 6:48 PM
drogs
rovers
bohs
pats
derry
cork
sligo
bray
galway
ucd
cobh
harps

didnt know so many people thought we were going down!!
honestly cant see it happening
for some reason have a feeling things are going to fall apart for cork dont know why yet though!

Terry
04/01/2008, 7:15 PM
drogs
bohs
pats
derry
cork
galway
rovers
sligo
bray
harps
ucd
cobh

Celdrog
04/01/2008, 7:20 PM
I think its way to early to say unitl we see the new players each club brings in , but how in gods name do you think we will finish fourth as things stand at the minute . With our new signings plus fabio and shane barret back we should be much stronger than last year .And if we can get Ollie Cahill to bother his hole who knows how good we can be :D
Probably points deductions for financial irregularities. Everyone says it every year so it has to happen sometime:rolleyes:

For me
Drogs
Cork
Bohs
Pats
Relegated
Cobh
Bray
Harps

Cups - Derry (FAI), Cork (League), Drogs (Setanta)

1st Division
Waterford
Dundalk
Longford

Aaron
04/01/2008, 7:29 PM
I'll wait to see who we bring in before making any predictions. Alot of dealings to be done in anuary for alot of clubs, too early to rule anyone in or out of the title race and for relegation

dublinwanderer
04/01/2008, 7:50 PM
Premier:
Drogs
Pats
Derry
Bohs
Rovers
Cork
Bray
Galway
Sligo
UCD
Harps
Cobh

FAI Cup:
Bray:)

League Cup:
Derry - who else competes in that comp these days!!!

1st Division:
Shelbourne - Tight between shels and dundalk

A League:
Sporting Fingal

We have strenghtened our squad and will be alot better than others may think. Bray will be safe with hopefully a good cup run

DmanDmythDledge
04/01/2008, 9:46 PM
Pats have a better team I feel, at times performed they better than Drogheda last season but a mid season blip cost them the title. I don't think there's all that much between Cork and yourselves and I had actually thought Bohs had Byrne confirmed. I think it will be very close this year between the top 4 so fourth wouldn't be as far out as previous years.

I can't see the players you've signed so far make much of a difference. Would Hughes get into the team ahead of Byrne or Keegan? Don't know much about Maher but your defence is very good as it is so he'll hardly make a huge difference.

didnt know so many people thought we were going down!!
honestly cant see it happening
Same hear, Bray underperformed with the players they had last year and have now added more quality players. Their midfield would get into most teams in the league imo.

L37Ultra
05/01/2008, 1:00 AM
Premier Division: Drogheda Utd.
First Division: Shelbourne
FAI Cup: Shamrock Rovers
Player Of The Season: Pat McCourt

Premier Division:
Drogs
Bohs
Cork
St.Pats
Derry
Rovers
Galway
Sligo
Harps
Bray
UCD
Cobh

First Division:
Shelbourne
Dundalk
Longford
Waterford
Athlone
Limerick
Monaghan
Kildare
Wexford
Kilkenny

Tis-smeee
05/01/2008, 2:46 AM
Premier Division: Drogheda Utd.
First Division: Shelbourne
FAI Cup: Shamrock Rovers
Player Of The Season: Pat McCourt

Premier Division:
Drogs
Bohs
Cork
St.Pats
Derry
Rovers
Galway
Sligo
Harps
Bray
UCD
Cobh

First Division:
Shelbourne
Dundalk
Longford
Waterford
Athlone
Limerick
Monaghan
Kildare
Wexford
Kilkenny

Iagree with most of it but how do you have longford that high please tell me

KR's Post
05/01/2008, 8:15 AM
Bray will surprise many this year! Break through of the season(player) Gary McCabe.

Higgo
05/01/2008, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure why many are tipping Shels for the first division, as far as I know we have less than 14 players at the moment. Given that we were never in contention last year I fail to see how we have a chance of going up.....

hoopy
05/01/2008, 11:03 AM
Given that we were never in contention last year I fail to see how we have a chance of going up.....

Have you been in a coma or just haven't seen the players you've signed yet?

Higgo
05/01/2008, 11:15 AM
Have you been in a coma or just haven't seen the players you've signed yet?

I have seen the players we have signed of course. However, given that we are supposed to be reducing our budget, I cannot see how we can sign many more decent players. If this is the case, it's going to be a very long season. I hope, with your far superior knowledge of Shels, you can prove me wrong. Sure what would I know...I only watch them every 7 days.

gufct
05/01/2008, 11:28 AM
its way to early to make predictions but I reckon the title chase will be a lot tighter this year with 4/5 teams being in contention depending on the players they sign and how their new managers settle in. Pats will be under particular pressure if they start off badly Johnny Mac will get shifted in jig time (Kerrs shadow looms large ) and Nutsy and Matthews will have huge pressure on them for differing reasons.

The fight at the bottom could drag upto 8 teams into it with 3 clubs being relegated and no one is safe including ourselves although I feel we are far stronger than we were starting off last year with one or two more signings to come and some very good youngsters from the U21's signed on Full Contracts and Part Time for the A League.

Waterford have made some very good signings ans should start favs for Promotion with Giller under huge pressure at Dundalk.

For the cups any Premier Team depending on how seriously they take them.

Ill have a go the week before the season when all the squads should be known.

The Lilywhites
05/01/2008, 11:42 AM
Premier Division: Bohemians
First Division: Dundalk :D
FAI Cup: Dundalk :D
League Cup: Rovers
Player Of The Season: Jason Byrne (Premier) David Cassidy (First)
Manager Of The Season: John Gill (First) Pat Fenlon (Premier)

Premier Division:
Bohs
Derry
Drogs
Cork
St. Pats
Rovers
Harps
Sligo
Bray
UCD
Galway :D Cheerio!
Cobh

First Division:
Dundalk
Waterford
Shelbourne
Limerick
Athlone
Longford
Wexford
Kildare
Kilkenny
Monaghan

dublin15bohs
05/01/2008, 1:02 PM
Drogs
Bohs
Pats
Cork
Derry
Rovers
Sligo
Bray
Harps
UCD
Galway
Cobh

passerrby
05/01/2008, 2:35 PM
Premier Division: Bohemians
First Division: Dundalk :D
FAI Cup: Dundalk :D
League Cup: Rovers
Player Of The Season: Jason Byrne (Premier) David Cassidy (First)
Manager Of The Season: John Gill (First) Pat Fenlon (Premier)

Premier Division:
Bohs
Derry
Drogs
Cork
St. Pats
Rovers
Harps
Sligo
Bray
UCD
Galway :D Cheerio!
Cobh

First Division:
Dundalk
Waterford
Shelbourne
Limerick
Athlone
Longford
Wexford
Kildare
Kilkenny
Monaghan

why do you always set yourself up for such a fall ...every year

Magicme
05/01/2008, 3:08 PM
I love the way the bitterness overshadows the obvious with Dundalk fans putting us bottom of the first division. No way with the signings we have made and the high amount of our squad staying on will Kilkenny and Wexford finish above us!

Lillywhites get your head checked son.

Not predicting anything great for us this season but defo cant see us in bottom 2. Athlone Kilkenny, Wexford and as it stands at the moment, Limerick, are the more likely to fight it out for the bottom end of things while I think it will be a shake up between Shels, Dundalk and Waterford for the honours.

Red&White
05/01/2008, 3:35 PM
Having looked into my crystal ball I foresee...

February: There is controversy during Linfield’s match at the Brandywell in the Setanta Cup when a Thompson through ball is diverted 4 miles across the border by police to avoid possible disturbances. “There were more direct routes,” protests David Jeffries.

March: Cohb Ramblers come out of the traps like a shot, winning their first 4 games and scoring 14, one of which is the result of a 22 pass move finished by their goalkeeper.
Derry City field an ineligible printer on their office desk and, on the verge of being docked 10 points, are saved by the revelation that the FAI did not inform Pat Jennings of the suspension when he was on holiday in Dublin the previous week.
Shelbourne crash out of the first preliminary round of the Cillit Bang Inter-Village Trophy after losing 4-1 to ‘O’Rourkes Pub and Sandwich Bar XI FC’ from Westmeath.

April: Rumours begin to circulate that Cobh’s good start is the result of a lengthy program of drug-taking their manager has put them on, after midfielder Shane Barrett begins a run and finishes just outside Wicklow, picking up a speeding fine on the way. Manager Stephen Henderson denies the rumours: “Shane was just trying to beat the offside trap.”

May: Bohemians surprise the world by signing David Beckham from LA Galaxy on a free transfer “I don’t want people to think I’m doing this because of the money,” Beckham tells the Phibsoboro Chronicle, “I truly want to play for Bomons and believe I can enjoy a long and happy career with them and Mr. Flong.”

June: Beckham leaves Bohemians, “I thought they were Brazilian.”
Hearing this, Stephen Henderson invites him to come to Cohb Ramblers.
Finn Harps’ Paul Hegarty signs a sheep as his Assistant Manager at Finn Park: “He’s good at getting the players up for it.”

July: Chairman John O'Sullivan angrily denies rumours of drug taking as Cobh Ramblers change their name to The Flying Carpets of Melting Colours FC.
Surviving relatives of Patrick Turner request that Cork City restore his memorial site into the cross it’s supposed to be. Henceforth, Cork will play matches from West-East, their opponents from North-South.

August: Bohemians draw Valencia in the UEFA Cup first round. “We certainly won’t be underestimating the uh…players from the Irish League,” their manager Ronald Koeman tells Northside News,” We’ve done lots of research about them and their formidable trio of Anna Nolan, Sheana Keane, and midfield hard-man Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh so I feel we’ll be well prepared.” Bohemians win 6-2 in Spain.
After a mere 9 supporters turn up for UCD’s game against St. Pats, the FAI’s John Delaney hails the success of summer football, “By playing games like this in the summer months, we’ve ensured that people have an alternative to having to watch them- a barbeque perhaps, maybe going for a nice walk?

September: Ian Stokes claims referees have been ‘ridden rock solid,’ by TV coverage of the league this year. “How are we supposed to influence games when TV replays can show what really happened? It‘s making us look silly.”
As school starts once more, attendances at Tolka Park fall by 67%.
Clubs at the foot of the table are hopeful as the Evening Herald reports on a Bono inspired campaign to ‘Make Relegation History.’ Their joy is short lived however when the Herald admits ’relegation,’ was a typo that should have read, ‘prostitution.’
Bono tells the News of the World, “There is no reason in this day and age why people should have to work at a soul-destroying, unhappy, undignified, inhuman job just to make ends meet.” After reading his comments, 16 players leave Finn Harps.
Pat McCourt’s hair gets its own squad number.

October: Derry City neglect to turn up for a match with Finn Harps at the end of the month as the players are too tempted by the Halloween celebrations in town. Finn Harps players decide to continue regardless. Derry win 2-0.
Bohemians finally sell their stadium to developers for EUR48m. “Cor!” manager Pat Fenlon tells the Dalymount Gazette as he counts his money, “You could buy all the soap in Dublin with that and still have EUR48, 999, 999.59”

November: Cobh Ramblers win the league, with 75 points. Captain Alan Carey asks reporters, “Do you have any biscuits?” Drogheda finish 2nd, equal on points but lose on “Games Played.”

December: The Christmas Tree at the FAI is surrounded by an 8 foot wall, topped by barbed wire, and surrounded by a moat as Dundalk fan Maxi ‘Desert Panther,’ is released early for Christmas.
Stephen Henderson takes his players on a post-season tour of Columbia.

LeixlipRed
05/01/2008, 3:50 PM
Doesn't David Beckham play for LA Galaxy?

holidaysong
05/01/2008, 4:48 PM
I love the way the bitterness overshadows the obvious with Dundalk fans putting us bottom of the first division. No way with the signings we have made and the high amount of our squad staying on will Kilkenny and Wexford finish above us!

We're not all bitter Magicme. I don't doubt that you will finish above those and I'm not looking forward to the trips to Gortakeegan this year after what has happened us there is the last few seasons. :(

Lim till i die
05/01/2008, 5:00 PM
I love the way the bitterness overshadows the obvious with Dundalk fans putting us bottom of the first division.

Shur they don't care about ye at all.

It's obvious. ;)

Not predicting anything great for us this season but defo cant see us in bottom 2. Athlone Kilkenny, Wexford and as it stands at the moment, Limerick, are the more likely to fight it out for the bottom end of things while I think it will be a shake up between Shels, Dundalk and Waterford for the honours

I would be inclined to agree.

Provided ye start the season with at least one striker signed........

Also, at the moment we are better than Wexford and Kilkenny with just the six lads from the 21's signed and the two senior players.

I'd like to think we'll be better than Kildare aswell.

And Longford and Athlone depending on what the story is money wise with them.

Anyhow:

PREMIER DIVISION

CHAMPIONS: Bohs
RELEGATED: Cobh
Harps/Bray/Galway/Sligo

FIRST DIVISION

Shels
Dundalk
Waterford
Gaping Chasm
Limerick
Mons
Athlone
Longford
Kildare
Gaping Chasm
Kilkenny
Wexford

The positions will be pretty interchangeable within those 3 blocks in the First Division IMO

saint morrissey
05/01/2008, 5:13 PM
Probably points deductions for financial irregularities. Everyone says it every year so it has to happen sometime:rolleyes:

For me
Drogs
Cork
Bohs
Pats
Relegated
Cobh
Bray
Harps

Cups - Derry (FAI), Cork (League), Drogs (Setanta)

1st Division
Waterford
Dundalk
Longford

people keep saying it because you have a lot of good players so its assumed that they are on good wages and past examples have shown that eircom league teams struggle to support high wage bills in the long term. there are striking similarities between your situation and that of shelbourne a few years ago in my opinion, and the similarities can be seen in the arrogance and what some people might call ignorance of your supporters too. it doesnt take a genius to see that in the long run its not feasable for more money to leave an organisation than enters it.

ndrog
05/01/2008, 8:02 PM
people keep saying it because you have a lot of good players so its assumed that they are on good wages and past examples have shown that eircom league teams struggle to support high wage bills in the long term. there are striking similarities between your situation and that of shelbourne a few years ago in my opinion, and the similarities can be seen in the arrogance and what some people might call ignorance of your supporters too. it doesnt take a genius to see that in the long run its not feasable for more money to leave an organisation than enters it.

explain thisignorance to me please ? In what way are we ignorant of the situation in Drogheda ? We are extremely aware of whats going on at our club thanks , and its been flogged to death the similarities or lack of between our current situation and that of Shels .Read some old threads for an argument if thats what you want :rolleyes: Do you know anything of our current situation or is this just the usual nonsense rolled out to have a go at us .

Magicme
06/01/2008, 1:21 PM
I know holildaysong, much to my surprise I have learned there are one or 2 sane nice Dundalk fans. Others whom I thought fitted that category have proved to be the other type too.

I love your visits to KCP! Oh and soon there will be a KFC opposite KCP so you can fill your bellies with chicken before you lose the contents of your stomach after a sickening defeat at our hands.

If Robbie Farrell scores against us I will never forgive him though! Was talking to Sheilo over Christmas and he is really up for the season ahead and wants to win promotion with you. Cant believe a Monaghan man could speak like that but I admire his ambition.

Oh and LimtilIdie we have at least one striker signed and others are in discussions but will say more when I get the confirmation

holidaysong
06/01/2008, 1:42 PM
I love your visits to KCP! Oh and soon there will be a KFC opposite KCP so you can fill your bellies with chicken before you lose the contents of your stomach after a sickening defeat at our hands.

But what of the Mon Dog? :eek:

iceman
06/01/2008, 1:44 PM
Premier: Drogs
First Div: Shels
Cup: Drogs , Bohs , Cork or Derry
Setanta Cup: Drogs

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 1:44 PM
But what of the Mon Dog? :eek:

Over-rated tripe (possibly quite literally) IMHO :)

Magicme
06/01/2008, 1:52 PM
You can still have a Mondog if you like Holidaysong!

Less of the guff ltid or you will have Anne to answer to.

holidaysong
06/01/2008, 2:10 PM
As long as KFC don't put the Mon Dog out of business. :)

Magicme
06/01/2008, 2:15 PM
I doubt it! Think people will get some chips at KFC to go with their mondogs though!