PDA

View Full Version : Limerick37 to wear green next season?

KK07
04/01/2008, 2:17 AM
Rumour has it that Limerick37 are changing their home Jerseys to green instead of blue for the 2008 season! Is there any truth in this and if why?

Jofspring
04/01/2008, 8:44 AM
Na i couldn't see that being true. they are getting a new home jersey alright but i'd say they will stick with blue.

gspain
04/01/2008, 9:30 AM
I assume this is a windup.

Dodge
04/01/2008, 9:47 AM
To me, Limerick's colours will always be yellow and green...

Always likes the way yourselves and Cork (apart from the Dave Barry days) stayed away from the GAA colours...

Magicme
04/01/2008, 9:51 AM
God I hate green.

KK07
04/01/2008, 11:12 AM
Its not a wind up, Thanks very much. I was in the clubshop yesterday and they told me that they were getting in new home jerseys in the next few weeks and that they were going to be green.

Jofspring
04/01/2008, 11:30 AM
Its not a wind up, Thanks very much. I was in the clubshop yesterday and they told me that they were getting in new home jerseys in the next few weeks and that they were going to be green.

must be true so.....wonder why they are changing the home colour.

Ash
04/01/2008, 12:45 PM
must be true so.....wonder why they are changing the home colour.

Maybe to endeer the club to the GAA supporters, like when Longford brought
out the yellow jersey for the cup final against Bohs many moons ago.

Incidently, I'm almost certain Longford wore green and white against us in a game
at Mels a long time ago. Shirt sponsored by BCR if memory serves me correct.
I think former ATFC player Mark Devlin lined out for them that day, LTFC fans may
be able to clarify.

pineapple stu
04/01/2008, 12:47 PM
Is that not Longford's standard away colours?

KevB76
04/01/2008, 12:59 PM
I very much doubt its true.

Seriously misguided decision if it is true, some things should not be toyed with and this IMO is one of them.

We'll have to replace all the flags, banners, chants, etc and I for one would hate to have the GAA colours, that would sicken me to the core :(

gspain
04/01/2008, 1:17 PM
To me, Limerick's colours will always be yellow and green...

Always likes the way yourselves and Cork (apart from the Dave Barry days) stayed away from the GAA colours...

They were Pat Grace's racing colours. We have worn blue since 1941.

I really hope the board aren't that stupid.

Lim till i die
04/01/2008, 3:39 PM
Green?!?!?!

Fcukin Green?!?!?!

No tah.

I'd say it will be an away jersey.

Just because you hear something in the club shop it doesn't make it true either ;)

amjl
04/01/2008, 4:46 PM
Its totally to do with trying to get in on the GAA support, if they do decide to change to a green strip. Both Shels & Bohs had light blue shirts & navy shorts away strips in recent years for this purpose. Sure chirst, even we changed from our original claret & blue to the traditional black & amder!!!

KevB76
04/01/2008, 6:00 PM
Sure chirst, even we changed from our original claret & blue to the traditional black & amder!!!

Sell outs ! :p

Den Perry
04/01/2008, 6:16 PM
Its totally to do with trying to get in on the GAA support, if they do decide to change to a green strip. Both Shels & Bohs had light blue shirts & navy shorts away strips in recent years for this purpose. Sure chirst, even we changed from our original claret & blue to the traditional black & amder!!!

sorry to go off the topic, but any new manager news with city?

Lim till i die
04/01/2008, 8:36 PM
sorry to go off the topic, but any new manager news with city?

Looks like it's either going to be Kabia or Roderick

Either way it'll be hilarious :)

Den Perry
04/01/2008, 10:19 PM
Looks like it's either going to be Kabia or Roderick

Either way it'll be hilarious :)

I heard the Roddy thing fell through......

Why do you suggest hilarious?

gael353
04/01/2008, 10:30 PM
Rumour has it that Limerick37 are changing their home Jerseys to green instead of blue for the 2008 season! Is there any truth in this and if why?

NO!
Blue first jersey, white second now the third!!!!:cool:

Dodge
05/01/2008, 1:11 AM
They were Pat Grace's racing colours. We have worn blue since 1941.

I really hope the board aren't that stupid.

Yeah realise that but the first 5/6 times I watched Limerick (city) play they were in yellow and green so thats what sticks with me

sadloserkid
06/01/2008, 11:19 AM
I've got to say that I'm amused by how attached people are to our colours given that we change our name and restart ourselves on a disheartingly regular basis and people are quite happy to overlook that. Our club crest has hardly been held sacred either. If it's a nice green shirt I wouldn't be too bothered by a change to be honest.

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 1:29 PM
I've got to say that I'm amused by how attached people are to our colours given that we change our name and restart ourselves on a disheartingly regular basis and people are quite happy to overlook that. Our club crest has hardly been held sacred either. If it's a nice green shirt I wouldn't be too bothered by a change to be honest.

It's all this Yank rubbish in your brain man :)

I mean even from a purely practical point of view we have what about 3 grands worth of blue flags?? :eek:

sadloserkid
06/01/2008, 3:18 PM
I mean even from a purely practical point of view we have what about 3 grands worth of blue flags?? :eek:

Actually when you put it like that... I'm back on board. Blue forever baby! :)

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 3:21 PM
Actually when you put it like that... I'm back on board. Blue forever baby! :)

I suppose we could put them in the wash with some yellow flags alright see what happens?? :)

All moot anyway since we probably wont get a license :ball:

sadloserkid
06/01/2008, 3:38 PM
All moot anyway since we probably wont get a license :ball:

Sure we can follow Cobh's second string in the 'A' Championship then. I suspect exposure to top flight ball would probably be the death of us all! :)

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 3:43 PM
Sure we can follow Cobh's second string in the 'A' Championship then. I suspect exposure to top flight ball would probably be the death of us all!

We don't even have our Kilkenny plan to fall back on anymore

And Athlones ground is souless

So ya looks like Queenstown reserves for us :ball:

Lionel Ritchie
06/01/2008, 5:52 PM
I've nothing against a green away strip so potential supporters amongst the rednecks can wear their jerseys and fit in.

But I'd be very surprised and no small bit annoyed if we ditched our traditional colours just to "blend in" with them. At least there's a bit of a story behind how we ended up wearing blue and white as opposed to their appropriation of green which is no more exclusive to the Limerick region than it is to any other part of the island.

Besides ...if we were to engage in a bandwagon hopping exercise then surely Red jerseys with navy and gold trim would be a more reliable bandwagon? ... no less pathetic either.

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 10:23 AM
Besides ...if we were to engage in a bandwagon hopping exercise then surely Red jerseys with navy and gold trim would be a more reliable bandwagon? ... no less pathetic either.

The hockey crowd will come out for a few weeks every summer though regardless of how hopeless the cause is.

Agree totally with the rest of your post

sadloserkid
07/01/2008, 12:47 PM
FFS lads blue wasn't even our original colours if we are sticking to the 70 year old club line...

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 8:58 PM
FFS lads blue wasn't even our original colours if we are sticking to the 70 year old club line...

Show me where anyone sticks to said line :confused:

You're talking to fans of Senior Football in a city whos club once changed its colours to accomodate a racehorse.

I like Blue.

I've never seen us play in anything other than Blue (at home..............Pike excluded :p)

I associate Blue with senior football in the city.

That is all.

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2008, 9:13 PM

Then frankly there'd be more legitimacy and continuity in "reverting" to the Stoke/Derry/Sunderland-esque red and white candy stripes than there'd be in playing in green which, whatever way you bend it, is tipping our toes for the gae community.

As I've already said, if we're to attempt to bask in the afterglow of someone elses popularity and success ...why not the MORE popular MORE successful Munster? Because it's as absurd as tacking ourselves onto the rednecks.

Blue and White are hand in hand with senior football in Limerick.

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 9:19 PM
why not the MORE popular MORE successful Munster? Because it's as absurd as tacking ourselves onto the rednecks.

But the GAA crowd are way more popular than Munster :confused:

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2008, 9:26 PM
But the GAA crowd are way more popular than Munster :confused:

You reckon:confused:

Not where I come from (City, Northside) they're not.

They've had a good run in 2007 (on which I warmly and genuinely congratulate them btw) but they've a stadium they'll never fill and it'll probably be another decade before they're back at croker. This is a rugby town. :(

Anyway beside the point, Blue IS the colour!

redron
07/01/2008, 10:05 PM
I like Blue.

I've never seen us play in anything other than Blue (at home..............Pike excluded :p)

Near the end of the season, we played a home match in white!
It was against Kilkenny I think: the refs showed with blue kits! :rolleyes:
Also, the Kilkenny 'keeper was wearing a red L37 jersey!

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 10:27 PM

Definitely man.

You only have to look at the crowds they draw.

About 15,000 for first Tipp game.

20,000 Away fans in Thurles for the replay

25 - 30,000 at the second replay

25,000 at the Munster Final

25,000 at the Ireland Semi

At least 50,000 at the All Ireland

Only the GAA can bring out 15,000 City dwelling working class heavy drinkers and 15,000 redneck heavy drinkers for an orgy of heavy drinking following the boys in green.

Also (And I know I'm generalising a bit) I genuinely think the Munster supporter who wants a Munster jersey is the type of supporter far more likely to fork out for the actual replica kit.

I can genuinely say hand on heart that in the part of the city I'm from the GAA is at least ten times more popular

but they've a stadium they'll never fill

I beg to differ

They weren't far off doing it in the piddling rain against Tipp last summer.

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 10:29 PM
Near the end of the season, we played a home match in white!
It was against Kilkenny I think: the refs showed with blue kits! :rolleyes:
Also, the Kilkenny 'keeper was wearing a red L37 jersey!

Curse your pedantry Ronan :)

Lionel Ritchie
08/01/2008, 10:05 AM
Definitely man.

You only have to look at the crowds they draw.

About 15,000 for first Tipp game.

20,000 Away fans in Thurles for the replay

25 - 30,000 at the second replay

25,000 at the Munster Final

25,000 at the Ireland Semi

At least 50,000 at the All Ireland

Only the GAA can bring out 15,000 City dwelling working class heavy drinkers and 15,000 redneck heavy drinkers for an orgy of heavy drinking following the boys in green.

I'm happy to accept your figures on face value but it'll be interesting to see if they're replicated next summer or the one after that if Limericks "Huff and Puff aint enough".

I would guess that within those numbers there would also be considerable constituencies of
*event Junkies (those who'll go along if it's in their face via the media long enough ...no need to change colours for them)
*Glory holes (they'll follow anything remotely successful they rationalise as "local" or "theirs" -Munster being an example -no need to change colours for them either.)

Titan
08/01/2008, 10:57 AM
Would a potential change to green have anything to do with the fact that Waterford have stroked the only nice blue kit in the Ereea catalogue?:eek:

Limerick FC had a green O'Neills away kit a couple of years back. and I think the year before had a green umbro away kit I'm open to correction on both but I think that was the case.

What are the colours of the junior clubs involved with Limerick 37?

Treaty Gooner
08/01/2008, 12:15 PM
Would a potential change to green have anything to do with the fact that Waterford have stroked the only nice blue kit in the Ereea catalogue?:eek:

Limerick FC had a green O'Neills away kit a couple of years back. and I think the year before had a green umbro away kit I'm open to correction on both but I think that was the case.

What are the colours of the junior clubs involved with Limerick 37?

Before all the smart answers flow in, there are no junior clubs involved Titan.

Titan
08/01/2008, 12:18 PM
Before all the smart answers flow in, there are no junior clubs involved Titan.

Thanks. Sorry I thought they were set up with a few junior clubs involved. Must have been the cheese before bedtime scrambling my brain again!:o

KevB76
08/01/2008, 12:24 PM

A quick glance at the Errea website shows 6 or 7 alternative styles of blue kit, all of which would be infinitely preferable to a change to green.

KevB76
08/01/2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Sorry I thought they were set up with a few junior clubs involved. Must have been the cheese before bedtime scrambling my brain again!:o

Its the people who run the junior league (LDMC) thats involved with L37, not the actual junior clubs.

Lim till i die
08/01/2008, 2:46 PM
I'm happy to accept your figures on face value but it'll be interesting to see if they're replicated next summer or the one after that if Limericks "Huff and Puff aint enough".

I would guess that within those numbers there would also be considerable constituencies of
*event Junkies (those who'll go along if it's in their face via the media long enough ...no need to change colours for them)
*Glory holes (they'll follow anything remotely successful they rationalise as "local" or "theirs" -Munster being an example -no need to change colours for them either.)

All spot on.

But the numbers are still bigger then the Rugger crowd.

jebus
08/01/2008, 4:32 PM
Blue makes my eyes sparkle so I'm dead set against this green buisness I can tell you :mad:

SLK OUT!!!!! :)

Den Perry
08/01/2008, 9:34 PM

They've had a good run in 2007 (on which I warmly and genuinely congratulate them btw) but they've a stadium they'll never fill and it'll probably be another decade before they're back at croker. This is a rugby town. :(

Anyway beside the point, Blue IS the colour!

I visited Limerick on a night out last August and saw the flags of Munster, THe GAA and Limerick 37 Flying over O'Connell St...The sight of Limerick 37 flags warmed my heart (I'm not a supporter, but i do like the club) as there are not many places where the local senior football (soccer) colours would be paraded in this country.fair play to ye.....

4tothefloor
09/01/2008, 2:16 AM
A quick glance at the Errea website shows 6 or 7 alternative styles of blue kit, all of which would be infinitely preferable to a change to green.
A quick glance at the Errea website shows that their kits are $hit and that we shouldn't be wearing them

Blue makes my eyes sparkle

Blue is the colour, football is the game..... :D

dutchie
09/01/2008, 2:35 AM
I Couldn't Give A Hoot If They Wore Caramel Pink.all Im Interested Is In Limerick Getting Back To The Top Flight.

GenerationXI
09/01/2008, 5:03 PM
I Couldn't Give A Hoot If They Wore Caramel Pink

Now there's an idea to make the club shop more profitable