PDA

View Full Version : Bologna

sligoman
03/01/2008, 2:47 PM
In February. Anyone been before? Good?

It'd be with Ryanair so it'd be flying into Forli which doesn't seem far from San Marino so probably take a trip down there too maybe, or even stay there altogether if it's better?

Sligo Hornet
03/01/2008, 2:51 PM
Went there last Feb, for the San Marino game ( fiasco :mad:) and thought the place had alot of character. Some great buildings and food everywhere was good fayre and not overly expensive.

I would ( and probably will this year ) return, for a different view....i.e. with Mrs Hornet;)

The Good Son
03/01/2008, 4:59 PM

It'd be with Ryanair so it'd be flying into Forli which doesn't seem far from San Marino so probably take a trip down there too maybe, or even stay there altogether if it's better?

Great spot. Forli is about an hour on the bus to Bologna.
It has a name as being one of the more expensive Italian cities but I never found it that way, definitely cheaper than Ireland anyway. It doesn't have the same amount of big name tourist spots as Rome, Florence or Venice, but I think as a city to purely wander around in it matches all of them.
As Sligo Hornet says, the food is good, the best I've had in Italy.
Bologna at home three times in Feb as well so try to get a game in.

A face
05/01/2008, 3:15 PM

If you are going to Bologna from Forli there is a free bus into Bologna train station from the airport. Try and find out the times of this bus on the way back because if you are going to make your own way not all trains stop at Forli and the airport is another 15 min bus journey outside of Forli town.

Bologna is a great city, not touristy like some of the other cities. The Clauricane on via Zamboni is a good Irish bar, and down to piazza Verdi there are another few spots. The Irish Times is another one on via Paradiso (at the end of via Ugo Bassi)

There is only one hostel in Bologna and its about 15 mins bus journey outside (with nothing around it) so you're best to book at hotel. In general, 1 and 2 star hotels in the centre wouldn't be the best. You wouldn't bring you girl friend there i mean, but if you're with the lads its grand.

If you need any info on anything, give us a shout. I lived there for a while.

Ash
07/01/2008, 7:53 AM
By the time we got to Bolonga after the San Marino
game the only think I was was Burger Kind and bed!

Both were grand though :)

The Banner Man
31/01/2008, 10:29 PM
Last Feb. flew to Venice, Train to Bologna & on to Rimini
Didnt see much of Bologna, just a shop outside train station to buy a fridge magnet. Was with Bear 11 & met up with AidoM GT & Babysis in the Bounty Bar Rimini

Sligo Hornet
01/02/2008, 1:23 PM
Last Feb. flew to Venice, Train to Bologna & on to Rimini
Didnt see much of Bologna, just a shop outside train station to buy a fridge magnet. Was with Bear 11 & met up with AidoM GT & Babysis in the Bounty Bar Rimini

Jaysus.......that's awful bad luck!:D

The Banner Man
01/02/2008, 7:41 PM
Youre telling me. Now I get stuck helping Aido fold that flag of his.

NeilMcD
01/03/2008, 12:35 PM
Went there last Feb, for the San Marino game ( fiasco :mad:) and thought the place had alot of character. Some great buildings and food everywhere was good fayre and not overly expensive.

I would ( and probably will this year ) return, for a different view....i.e. with Mrs Hornet;)

Bologna is a great spot and very nice hotel staff etc. Be careful of guys sleeping in the wrong rooms and wandering around hotels at night though.