PDA

View Full Version : Airport theft

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 1:03 PM
A mate got his ipod and sat nav nicked during transit i.e. he is pretty sure it must have been the baggage handlers ( says in dublin, but i reckon it could be either dublin or his destination ), he was flying with ryanair and when he picked up his bag the ipod and satnav were gone - not sure why he wasnt carrying the ipod with him though! I assume ryanair are responsible? whats the procedure for this as he is unsure and i thought i remember reading this happened to someone else. Its a sad and scary thing to think that they do be going through peoples stuff.

dahamsta
03/01/2008, 1:08 PM
I thought someone was after stealing an airport.

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 1:09 PM
haha, ya knock - ireland west stole it ;)

OneRedArmy
03/01/2008, 1:53 PM
A mate got his ipod and sat nav nicked during transit i.e. he is pretty sure it must have been the baggage handlers ( says in dublin, but i reckon it could be either dublin or his destination ), he was flying with ryanair and when he picked up his bag the ipod and satnav were gone - not sure why he wasnt carrying the ipod with him though! I assume ryanair are responsible? whats the procedure for this as he is unsure and i thought i remember reading this happened to someone else. Its a sad and scary thing to think that they do be going through peoples stuff.Baggage handlers in thievery shocka!!!!! FFS Paul, you do ask some strange questions.

Claim for them on travel insurance. If no travel insurance, don't even waste your time dialling Ryanairs premium rate number.

Also, don't carry valuables in your check-in.

I've lost count of what I've had nicked over the years. Some fella in Heathrow is probably still working his way through the 3 dozen Titliests robbed out of my golf bag a few years back (whilst wearing my silver cufflinks which also disappeared).

Normally stuff goes walkies when your bag is lying around for a transfer, point to point should be okay.

Also bear in mind checked luggage is frequently hand searched nowadays.

GavinZac
03/01/2008, 1:56 PM
I thought someone was after stealing an airport.

i thought someone had taken the airport tent in Beauvais :D

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 1:58 PM
so are ye saying point to point he is not going to be covered by anyone unless he had travel insurance? I said to him it would be hard to prove individual items as oppossed to goods i.e. bags, bags are recorded, individual items within a bag are not.

Wolfie
03/01/2008, 2:14 PM
A mate got his ipod and sat nav nicked during transit i.e. he is pretty sure it must have been the baggage handlers ( says in dublin, but i reckon it could be either dublin or his destination

I'll keep an eye out for a surly bloke driving a buggy, wearing earphones and a distinctive air of knowing exactly were he is going next time I'm at the Airport!!

OneRedArmy
03/01/2008, 2:17 PM
so are ye saying point to point he is not going to be covered by anyone unless he had travel insurance? I said to him it would be hard to prove individual items as oppossed to goods i.e. bags, bags are recorded, individual items within a bag are not.Yes. He's screwed. Basically.

ifk101
03/01/2008, 2:21 PM
His home insurance (if he has any) might also cover travel theft.

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 2:34 PM

ya ill tell him though it would be his parents gaffe that would have to have it. I remember a manager of mine getting her mobile stolen from her bag and it was covered in her contents insurance!

thanks for the info lads.

KevB76
03/01/2008, 5:30 PM

Slightly off topic, but home insurnace also covers damage caused to a car that kills your dog if it strays onto the road !

About theft from bags, a little padlock only costs a few euro and will deter the casual thief - although if he's getting tip-offs from his buddy at the x-ray machine about which bags contain the goodies a lock is probably no obstacle.

Wolfie
04/01/2008, 8:39 AM
Slightly off topic, but home insurnace also covers damage caused to a car that kills your dog if it strays onto the road !

Talk about adding insult to injury..................

OneRedArmy
04/01/2008, 8:59 AM
About theft from bags, a little padlock only costs a few euro and will deter the casual thief If you are going to the US make sure its a TSA-approved lock (one that the TSA staff have skeleton keys for) or else it will be busted open and your bag potentially wrecked by security.

Not sure what the deal is with European airports.

paul_oshea
04/01/2008, 9:06 AM
If you are going to the US make sure its a TSA-approved lock (one that the TSA staff have skeleton keys for) or else it will be busted open and your bag potentially wrecked by security.

Not sure what the deal is with European airports.

sounds like a bit ( not a paradox really ) of a catch 22 really ( for use of a better expression ) i mean, whats the point in having a lock if they can open and close it again?! ( even assuming not every member has a skeleton key ) :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
04/01/2008, 9:09 AM
paul

I used to put padlocks on my luggage travelling to Europe and the locks were broken and missing each time I got to the far side.

OneRedArmy
04/01/2008, 9:10 AM
sounds like a bit ( not a paradox really ) of a catch 22 really ( for use of a better expression ) i mean, whats the point in having a lock if they can open and close it again?! ( even assuming not every member has a skeleton key ) :confused:Don't put valuables in check in.

Also, its generally assumed to be baggage handlers rather than security who are doing the pilfering.

paul_oshea
04/01/2008, 9:20 AM
seriouslly though, i cant understand why he did it but im not going to say that now, im sure he realises.

scary to think though if they are opening it up and stuff, what they could be putting into it etc. I would be pretty confident it is going on....

Dodge
04/01/2008, 10:14 AM
US security will normally but tape around your bag to show it has been checked. I use locks everywhere else (and my **** is worthless)

anto1208
04/01/2008, 10:40 AM
Locks are pointless a simple biro will pop open the zip from the other end.

I've seen quite a few bags lately covered in cling film and tape so no one can get near it.

The best advice is only put stuff your willing to loose in your check in luggage .

Dodge
04/01/2008, 10:45 AM
Easier to explain to insurance people though

Magicme
04/01/2008, 10:51 AM

I've seen quite a few bags lately covered in cling film and tape so no one can get near it.

The best advice is only put stuff your willing to loose in your check in luggage .

The Clingfilm and tape thing is what security do after they bust open your bag.

sligoman
04/01/2008, 2:45 PM
The Clingfilm and tape thing is what security do after they bust open your bag.You can also get this done before checking yer bag in at some airports. They have a machine that wraps it around your bag, not sure how much it costs but it's an option anyway.

onceahoop
04/01/2008, 6:00 PM
The old biro trick is quick and you wont notice it until you open your bag at home and your stuff is gone.

Believe it or not, some people go to the bother of sewing the zip up. Youl'd want plenty of time and would probably attract the attention of the security forces. Not every airport has shrink wrapping facilities.

Best advice is to keep valuables in your hand luggage.