PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Sports Cup

Graemerz
03/01/2008, 11:32 AM
Any one know when the draw is?

iceman
03/01/2008, 12:16 PM
Any one know when the draw is?
Seems to be a considerable lack of interest this year from Setanta , now that they are keeping the barstoolers happy with cross-channel football on Monday nights.

Dodge
03/01/2008, 12:24 PM
Not really. The draw was due last week but postponed. Sometime in January. Setanta Ireland and Setanta Uk are basically seperate channels...

Supersaint
03/01/2008, 12:27 PM
any news of a format change?
welsh/scottish teams...
more irish clubs?
change of night etc?

Dodge
03/01/2008, 12:38 PM
I'd say a change of night is a very real possibility. The others aren't (and shouldn't be)

Supersaint
03/01/2008, 12:46 PM
I'd say a change of night is a very real possibility. The others aren't (and shouldn't be)
yeah wouldnt fancy a weekday trip to some welsh ground,i doubt scottish clubs would even consider the SSC.

Danny
11/01/2008, 8:54 AM
draw next thurs
new format
3 games from feb-april
then a break then the rest of the games from sep - oct

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2762

Flexy
11/01/2008, 9:06 AM
draw next thurs
new format
3 games from feb-april
then a break then the rest of the games from sep - oct

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2762
What a load of rubbish having a four month break

all drogged up
11/01/2008, 9:57 AM
I reckon it's fair enough.

The way it was before was a bit of a mismatch - we were playing without match practice after the close season and they were in the run-in for the end of their season an important time.

Now it'll be vice versa for the Sept. to Oct. part of the league.

both sets of teams have to play games when busy and when down on match practice or building a new squad.

I know we'll be finishing our season when semi's and final is on but let's just see how it works out.

Graemerz
11/01/2008, 10:55 AM
Not sure about the gap thing...

I'd prefer it if it is to be spread through February to October to play a match(es) in May, June, August. Obviously July isn't a good time for football in NI plus there is UEFA matches in July too. I know the NI season ends in May but sure whats a single match in June matter that much?

willymccann
11/01/2008, 11:11 AM
if any of the Eircom League teams have a good run in Europe, they could be looking at a fixture back log in September - October, and the Setanta Cup games would not help.

kingdomkerry
11/01/2008, 12:52 PM
What teams are in it this year

LOI: Drogheda, Derry, Cork, Pats
IL: Linfield, Glentoran, Cliftonville.

Who am i missing?

Danny
11/01/2008, 12:59 PM
Dungannon Swifts

Tis-smeee
11/01/2008, 1:14 PM
if any of the Eircom League teams have a good run in Europe, they could be looking at a fixture back log in September - October, and the Setanta Cup games would not help.

Big IF though

Flexy
11/01/2008, 2:05 PM
Dungannon Swifts

Is it not Portadown, Dungannon Swifts didnt win anything last year and didnt finish 3rd in the league.

dcfc_1928
11/01/2008, 2:18 PM
I think Dungannon qualified as Irish Cup runners-up?

Is it not Portadown, Dungannon Swifts didnt win anything last year and didnt finish 3rd in the league.

Graemerz
11/01/2008, 3:37 PM
I think Dungannon qualified as Irish Cup runners-up?

Correct.

paudie
12/01/2008, 1:37 PM
I don't think the gap from April to September will help the momentum of the tournament.

Also the IL teams may have substantially different squads as it will cover 2 of their league seasons.

GavinZac
13/01/2008, 10:55 PM
this has rendered it pointless, we would hope to have better things to be doing in september than thrashing dungannon.

SolitudeRed
14/01/2008, 12:35 AM
When does setanta's sponsorship deal for this competition run out? I take it they'll not be renewing it now they've got Englissh Premiership matches and that this competition will get the chop like the many North v South cup competitions before it:(

mandrake
14/01/2008, 9:33 AM
2012 it was originall til 2009 but was extended....
i wonder would it matter if setanta withdrew anyway...

David
14/01/2008, 9:48 AM
Not sure about the gap thing...

I'd prefer it if it is to be spread through February to October to play a match(es) in May, June, August. Obviously July isn't a good time for football in NI plus there is UEFA matches in July too. I know the NI season ends in May but sure whats a single match in June matter that much?

Would matter to the players. That would mean basically no break at all as we would then have matches in every single month of the year.

Graemerz
14/01/2008, 2:06 PM
When does setanta's sponsorship deal for this competition run out? I take it they'll not be renewing it now they've got Englissh Premiership matches and that this competition will get the chop like the many North v South cup competitions before it:(

Maybe the IFA and FAI can combine together and get a joint sponsorship deal from RTE and BBC NI or UTV to keep the competition alive. Unlikely though I'd imagine.

Dodge
14/01/2008, 6:05 PM
Maybe the IFA and FAI can combine together and get a joint sponsorship deal from RTE and BBC NI or UTV to keep the competition alive. Unlikely though I'd imagine.

Particularly as it was set up and is run totally by a differing TV company.

And once again, Setanta Ireland and Setanta UK are different companies and have totally different budgets.

RĂ©iteoir
16/01/2008, 3:58 PM
Members of the media are reminded that the draw for the 2008 Setanta Sports Cup will take place tomorrow (Thursday, January 17th) in the SAS Radisson Hotel, Dublin Airport. All members of the media are invited to attend the event and are asked to be in attendance from 1.30pm. Representatives from the participating clubs will be in attendance and will be available for interview.

Risteard
17/01/2008, 11:51 AM
Can't wait.
Can I have one Linfield, with a side-dish of Cliftonville and lashings of Pats or Derry please Setanta Claus.

Graemerz
17/01/2008, 12:23 PM
Is there anywhere online we can view the draw live?

Graemerz
17/01/2008, 12:24 PM
Can't wait.
Can I have one Linfield, with a side-dish of Cliftonville and lashings of Pats or Derry please Setanta Claus.

That would be a group of death.

kingdomkerry
17/01/2008, 12:40 PM
What time is the draw on?

Graemerz
17/01/2008, 12:49 PM
5 minutes. 2pm.

garyderry
17/01/2008, 1:06 PM
anywhere we can listen to the draw or anyone heard it yet?

Risteard
17/01/2008, 2:33 PM
That would be a group of death.

I don't think so.
I would've preferred Linfield for other reasons but I'd fancy our chances against ye more than Drogs.
Granted, Derry would be imo the easiest eLoI draw unless Kenny does some dramatic surgery pronto.