PDA

View Full Version : Ottmar Hitzfeld

Paulie
03/01/2008, 8:50 AM
Ottmar Hitzfeld has stated that he is leaving Bayern Munich at the end of this season. One of the options he is looking at is to become the Manager of Switzerland. He has yet to begin negotiations with them but a meeting is planned to take place over the coming months. Now, I would like to think that our job doesn't carry any less prestige than being manager of Switzerland. He has played and managed in Switzerland so he does have a link with the country that he doesn't have with us. However, I don't know for sure, but I would say we could currently match or maybe surpass any salary on offer from the Swiss FA and even if we approach him and he turns us down, at least we can say we tried to get him. I would really like to believe that he'll be sounded out for our job as soon as possible but no, we'll be stuck with Venables, Dalglish or some other has-been or never-will-be.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/December/19/unhappy-hitzfeld-eyes-swiss-job-offer-report

AustinoAsprilla
03/01/2008, 9:03 AM
If we could get him, it would be better than any name mentioned so far by a long way. The guy has won the Champions League with 2 different clubs and won numerous German titles. The man is a legend and Fergie loves him too. I'd defo say go for him but unfortunately I doubt he'll say yes...

Let's ask him though... NOW.

sullanefc
03/01/2008, 9:35 AM
Go for him. Best available candidate IMO.

Dr. Ogba
03/01/2008, 10:12 AM
See Roy Hodgson thread for how this one will end.....

drinkfeckarse
03/01/2008, 10:14 AM
Let's ask him though... NOW.

Ah sure the selection committee will take 2 months and 6 meetings to make the decision about who's going to actually phone him and he'll have done his business with the Swiss by then.

DaveyCakes
03/01/2008, 10:28 AM
He's going to take the Switzerland job. This has been well known for some time.

Absinthe
03/01/2008, 10:45 AM
I would suggest that the Swiss job would be considerably more lucrative, and that he wouldnt have to move from his (presumably) Munich home to do the job.

superfrank
03/01/2008, 11:03 AM
I would suggest that the Swiss job would be considerably more lucrative, and that he wouldnt have to move from his (presumably) Munich home to do the job.
Infinitely more lucrative. Switzerland's one of the most expensive countries in the world.

I'd say it's also more rewarding. They've qualified for the last 2 championships. They'll play in this one. They have a very well organised side at the moment that's better than Ireland. Some very good players and nowhere near as much unrealistic expectation.

jmurphyc
03/01/2008, 11:28 AM
We should definitely ask him if he's interested, but I doubt he'd take it and even less so I doubt he'll be asked.

Drumcondra 69er
03/01/2008, 11:34 AM
More chance of me getting the job. He's going to the Swiss, this is a non starter.

Paulie
03/01/2008, 11:53 AM
My point is that unless we ask we won't know if he's interested. If he says no that's fine, at least we tried.

irishfan86
03/01/2008, 12:01 PM
He'd be fantastic if interested.

Despite the wealth of the Swiss, doubt they'd be offering that much more than us if they're even offering more.

Remember, our post is now one of the most highly paid international jobs.

shakermaker1982
03/01/2008, 12:28 PM
I think this guy would be offended if asked to have 14 meetings with 3 wise men. Guys with his pedigree are not going to wait around for Don Givens to give him a call.

hamburg paul
03/01/2008, 1:28 PM
We can forget about him this is as good as done and dusted with swiss fa ,he wil take over after Kobi kühn , he has a pad in munich but he lives in Lorrach which is in switzerland.Anyway what reasonable manager wants to manage us ,this carry on of the three wise men is just a fckin joke , we will get what we deserve !a has been !:mad:

Noelys Guitar
03/01/2008, 1:35 PM
"Aaah Oscar would you be interested in meeting with another Don and Ray to discuss the Ireland job? We can't offer you the job. We might get back to you in a few weeks or months. Or we might not. Are you still there Oscar. Oscar. Oscar" Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

colster
03/01/2008, 1:40 PM
"Aaah Oscar would you be interested in meeting with another Don and Ray to discuss the Ireland job? We can't offer you the job. We might get back to you in a few weeks or months. Or we might not. Are you still there Oscar. Oscar. Oscar" Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Who's Oscar?? :)

Drumcondra 69er
03/01/2008, 1:50 PM
Who's Oscar?? :)

Could do worse....