PDA

View Full Version : Setanta 2007 review

elroy
02/01/2008, 9:20 AM
Did anyone see this over xmas with Pat Dolan and Andy Townsend? In fairness to Andy Townsend, he talked an awful lot of sense and outlined things as they really are.
Pat on the other hand was an embarrassment, loved the sound of his own voice and came up with numerous ridiculous statements like why arent we chasing Scolari for the job? If he didnt want the England job at 5m a year, he's hardly gonna opt for us.
He also reckons there is no rush for a new manager and we should wait till after the Euros.

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 9:33 AM
In fairness to Andy Townsend, he talked an awful lot of sense and outlined things as they really are.What did he say? I didn't see the programme.

elroy
02/01/2008, 10:12 AM
Basically how we got to be realistic that we dont have the players that we have had in the past and how we arent going to attract a real top class manager like mourinho, capello, scolari etc to the job.

He also questioned the attitude of the players and how he feels that playing for Ireland doesnt mean as much to the current squad as it did in the past.

He criticised the selection process for the job as well, according to him TV will get the job.

How we need to be beating the likes of cyprus and montenegro home and away and at least taking bulgaria at home to have any chance of qualifying.

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 10:31 AM
All fair points.

One thing that constantly gets me though is when people keep saying "we don't have the players".

Players to do what? Beat Italy in a World Cup Finals again? True, we probably don't have the players.

Be competitive against mediocre teams?

Be able to close out winning positions against poor / mediocre teams?

Yes, we bloody well do have the players.

Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Carsley, Hunt, Duff, McGeady, Doyle and Keane, plus a few of the others, are all better players than some of the opposition we've become accustomed to struggling against.

eirebhoy
02/01/2008, 1:14 PM
He also questioned the attitude of the players and how he feels that playing for Ireland doesnt mean as much to the current squad as it did in the past.
I think that was actually Townsend. Dolan said he felt it did mean as much to the current players and talked about the guys at Reading.

tetsujin1979
02/01/2008, 1:14 PM
I only saw the first half of this, Townsend mentioned that he had been approached by Delaney, but didn't go into a whole lot of detail about what. Dolan tore into the whole process of the 3 wise men appointed to choose the next ireland manager.

elroy
02/01/2008, 1:26 PM
I think that was actually Townsend. Dolan said he felt it did mean as much to the current players and talked about the guys at Reading.

Ya the points i mentioned above were all Townsends.

I cant remember exactly what Pat said but i just remember thinking what a **** he was coming across as. I have no doubt he loves irish football and knows it alot better than most but some of the stuff he was saying was ridiculous. He did make the point however that we are not exploiting the granny rule as much as we used and we now have 3 pots of players to choose from - dublin (which has always been there according to pat), the granny rule and now the country (which was previously just gaa areas).

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 1:32 PM
But can we exploit the granny rule as much as we used to? A rise in living standards has stemmed the flow of emigration. OK, the Celtic Tiger was a relatively recent phenomenon but the really bleak days are a long time ago now. The Charlton years are a generation ago too.

Sean Scannell, JJ O'Toole etc. will become rarer and rarer in the future.

Not sure if this stacks up, but it's what I suspect.

elroy
02/01/2008, 1:41 PM
But can we exploit the granny rule as much as we used to? A rise in living standards has stemmed the flow of emigration. OK, the Celtic Tiger was a relatively recent phenomenon but the really bleak days are a long time ago now. The Charlton years are a generation ago too.

Sean Scannell, JJ O'Toole etc. will become rarer and rarer in the future.

Not sure if this stacks up, but it's what I suspect.

They made the fair point that British and Irish football has suffered from the influx of foreigners because less are playing at the top level and maybe we need to look more closer at the 'granny rule' players playing in the championship - but to be honest there isnt a whole lot to be exploited there that we havent looked at already.

He also made the point that 20 years ago the chances of having an Irish international from the middle of tipperary or wexford - traditionally gaas strongholds would have been slim but thats what has emerged in the last couple of years and that the areas the FAI need to build on. The kids of today dont have 88/90/94 to remember like we had, it doesnt mean as much to them etc

(Just as a footnote - saw this on the bbc website re Sean Scannell
Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is lining up a £2m swoop for Crystal Palace's 17-year-old winger Sean Scanell. (The Sun)

McShels
02/01/2008, 2:15 PM

I think the above is somewhat true and can be applied to most levels of football in Ireland nowadays insofar as that the age group from say 18 to the late 20's have had it a lot easier than the group who are now in their 30's. i.e. some of them expect to have everything served to them on a plate and not to have to put the work in to get the rewards.

Or take a different look at it does the attitude not being good enough come down to players not respecting their manager???

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 2:22 PM
Or take a different look at it does the attitude not being good enough come down to players not respecting their manager???and / or their fellow players?

I think some of the newer guys may have felt there was a clique of senior players, guys who were mates with Stan during Mick's reign and maybe guys who were living on past reputations.

tetsujin1979
02/01/2008, 3:54 PM
The review is repated tonight at 8:30 according to the listings here: http://www.setanta.com/en/ROI/TV-Listings/

Jerry The Saint
02/01/2008, 7:23 PM
The review is repated tonight at 8:30 according to the listings here: http://www.setanta.com/en/ROI/TV-Listings/

Taped before Capello was confirmed as England manager which makes it a little more embarassing for Pat :o

Fergie's Son
02/01/2008, 10:20 PM
Well Dolan made an excellent point regarding Givens' role on the committee. As he noted, Givens has a vested interest in ensuring that the new manager wants to keep Don Givens in a job as U-21 coach.

OwlsFan
03/01/2008, 7:17 AM
I saw it repeated last night. Paul Dempsey is an excellent host and knows his football and isn't afraid to contradict either of the panelists (unlike a certain laughing RTE host who knows very little about soccer). He also brought up the name Joe Kinnear and said he was surprised he had never been mentioned. Dolan spent his whole time having a go at Delaney while Andy took a pragmatic approach in most matters.

Then I went back to watch Joey O'Brien playing for Bolton against Derby. Andy O'B did well in the same game.