PDA

View Full Version : Squad for the Brazil game?

Pages : [1] 2

bwagner
02/01/2008, 9:09 AM
My squad would look like this:

Given
Kenny
Doyle

Finnan
Dunne (capt)
A O'Brien
J O'Brien
D Murphy (Hibs)
Mc Shane
St Ledger
O'Shea

Duff
Hunt
Kilbane
Carlsey
Lawerence
Mc Geady
Ireland ?
O'Hara
Miller

Morrison
Keane
Doyle
Long

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 10:54 AM
O'Hara isn't eligible. He is now 21 and any decision to change "nationality" (he has played underage for england) must have been made before he turned 21.

Is David Murphy of Hibs eligible?

By and large I agree with your squad, without going to any great degree of scrutiny. I'd have Steven Reid in there for certain though.

Clinton is definitely due a recall and I think we need to keep looking at St.Ledger. By all accounts he's been playing very well.

I was surprised that Liam Lawrence was overlooked by Staunton apart from one call up I think.

From the Championship Walters, Lee and Yeates are deserving of consideration, maybe also Gary Doherty as back up CB.

The better U21 players are probably better off playing in the U21 team unless they're clearly better than older players in similar positions. What on earth was the point of Andy Keogh playing out of position against Germany and Cyprus? Despite this, I still have a feeling that Garvan might be worth giving a run in the senior squad.

What age is Darron Gibson? Still U21 eligble?

New manager = new start for Stephen Ireland hopefully.

bwagner
02/01/2008, 12:59 PM
I am not sure if either O'Hara or Murphy are eligble but sure we should give it a try. we need to freshen up this squad in certain areas . I only left out Reid as it may be too early ( he is out again with a calf injury at present, Gibson is only 20 I think...

Stuttgart88
02/01/2008, 1:02 PM
O'Hara is definitely not eligible. He is already 21 and has played underage for England.

Steven Reid's injury isn't serious and being dropped was mainly precautionary so I'd have him in. Andy Reid will most likely be out I believe.

AustinoAsprilla
02/01/2008, 1:10 PM
Would defo like to see Morrison back in there. Scoring quite regularly at the moment and has done really well for us in the past.

Would like to see Stokes in there as well. See what he can do from the start up front with Keane. Or at least 45 mins.

I would like to see A O'Brien start again as he has done well enough since his move and I'd leave out McShane for the rest he looks likes he needs.

Hibs4Ever
02/01/2008, 7:02 PM
David Murphy isn't eligible according to himself. Shame though. He's class

(think he'll be at celtic in coming days if rumours are true)

bwagner
03/01/2008, 8:31 AM
Hibs4ever were did you hear this mate?

Hibs4Ever
03/01/2008, 9:19 AM
Hibs4ever were did you hear this mate?

Its been doing the rounds for a couple of months on the Hibs messageboards and various newspaperrs in Scotland. He has always said he wants to play in england again, but I think celtic are offering big money.

carloz
03/01/2008, 10:35 AM
Lawerence

He is playing well at the moment but from what i have seen Wes Hoolahan surely deserves a call up ahead of Lawrence

ifk101
03/01/2008, 10:41 AM
I think there should be a focus on sorting out our problem positions; basically Richard Dunne's partner, left-full, and the central midfield partnership. Whatever squad is picked should be looking to try out players for these positions.

shakermaker1982
03/01/2008, 12:34 PM
5 names I'd like to see asked for training are the following:

Garvan - fingers crossed he is our future at CM
Morrison - on fire and worth another look.
Liam Lawrence
Andy O'Brien - regular at Bolton now so deserves a call up
Hoolahan - goal scoring MF are always welcome to the table.

Dr. Ogba
03/01/2008, 12:38 PM
I think there should be a focus on sorting out our problem positions; basically Richard Dunne's partner, left-full, and the central midfield partnership. Whatever squad is picked should be looking to try out players for these positions.

exactly....lets broaden our options and draft in some younger lads with potential this time (as opposed to Stan's policy of drafting in youth with connections to Pat Devlin):

i.e

LB - O'Halloran (any news of a loan move to the championship yet?)
CB - Slim pickings but St. Ledger should be in the squad from the off and maybe try and unearth a granny-ruler? (or bring back the doc! :eek:)
CM - definitely Garvan and McCann, also Walters as an extra option on the right

it seems that centre-half is our main worry should something happen to Dunne (God forbid!)....there has to be other options out there???

colster
03/01/2008, 12:48 PM
exactly....lets broaden our options and draft in some younger lads with potential this time (as opposed to Stan's policy of drafting in youth with connections to Pat Devlin):

i.e

CB - Slim pickings but St. Ledger should be in the squad from the off and maybe try and unearth a granny-ruler? (or bring back the doc! :eek:)

it seems that centre-half is our main worry should something happen to Dunne (God forbid!)....there has to be other options out there???

what about Bennet for CB. Seems to be playing regularly for Southampton.

Dr. Ogba
03/01/2008, 1:32 PM
yeah forgot about Bennett. Thought he looked handy in the US so deffo worth a try...

tetsujin1979
03/01/2008, 1:44 PM
from the Times on October 4th, 2007: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article2584735.ece

Martin O’Neill is mulling over whether to send Stephen O’Halloran, the 21-year-old defender, out on loan. “I have had loads of inquiries about him and he needs games,” the manager said. “But he isn’t a million miles away from playing here.”
Of course he never did go out on loan, but at least it shows he was in O'Neill's thoughs
On Villa's website today, there's this: http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1204752,00.html

We've got three established goalkeepers in that group of 23 [current Villa squad] so we're down to 20, which includes Stephen O'Halloran and Moustapha Salifou who have never played a game for us, Patrik Berger and Isaiah Osbourne.

Depsite the praise St Ledger has been getting lately, Preston are bottom of the Championship. How about Alex Bruce? Ipswich are playing some good football (well, at home anyway) and there's a large Irish contingent at the club

Rory Delap is playing regularly in a decent Stoke side (4th in the Championship, could condemn Allardyce this weekend)
Probably too early for JJ O'Toole, let him develop in the U-21's until the Autumn games
Walters on the right? Surely Hoolahan or Yeates would be a better option?

There are slim pickings at Premiership level, but we can still put out a Premiership team of
Given, Kelly, Dunne, McShane, Finnan, Duff, Carsley, Steven Reid, Ireland, Keane, Kevin Doyle with Colin Doyle, O'Shea, Harte, Hunt and Long on the bench
That's still leaving Kilbane, Kavanagh, Stokes (amongst others) out of the matchday XVI
Even picking players from the Championship, I reckon a starting XI of
Kenny (if he can be persuaded to come back), Foley, Ledger, Doherty, Bruce, Yeates, Andy Reid, McCann, Hoolahan, Morrison, Lee/Walters, with Joe Murphy, Delaney, McCarthy, Garvan, Lee/Walters on the bench is not a bad side.
That's still leaving out Michael Doyle, Jay Tabb, Billy Clarke, Alan Mahon, Stephen McPhail, Mark Kennedy, etc
Even in the SPL, there's the bones of a decent squad with
Richie Byrne, Darren O'Dea, Sean Dillon, David Van Zanten, McGeady, Cregg, Alan O'Brien, Stephen Bradley, Barrett, Hunt.

dr_peepee
03/01/2008, 1:46 PM

i.e

What's the craic with Walters at Ispwich... Is he a centre forward or on the right?

Dr. Ogba
03/01/2008, 2:22 PM
What's the craic with Walters at Ispwich... Is he a centre forward or on the right?

any time i've seen him with Ipswich he's down as lining up on the right but I think he floats and joins the attack quite a bit, hence the amount of goals he's getting this season.
Started out as a striker when at Bolton afaik....

Tets - I take your point on Hoolahan and Yeates, I would class Yeates and Walters as very similar types of players i.e midfielders with a happy knack of scoring goals, always though of Hoolahan as an Andy Reid type player, has a lovely left foot on him....all deffo worth a look anyway...

Irish_Praha
03/01/2008, 4:08 PM
Another option at CB is Paddy McCarthy. I would rate him ahead of Bruce anyway and he only has 3 yellows so far this season so he seems to have improved his dicipline since moving to Charlton. I don't know much about St Ledger.

What's the story with David Norris. I only know he's playing regularly and has 5 goals so far this season. Anyone been keeping a closer eye on him since he was first mentioned as an Irish prospect? He's 26 now so it would want to happen soon.

the doc
03/01/2008, 6:31 PM
St Ledger is believed to be a target for Derby, WBA, Wolves and Charlton so must be worth a shout, a much more accomplished player than the likes of McShane, Bruce and McCarthy.
The Preston fans are calling him "The New Mark Lawrenson" high praise indeed.
I think we need to get him tired to Ireland asap!

tetsujin1979
03/01/2008, 7:23 PM
I think we need to get him tired to Ireland asap!
He was on the bench away against Germany at the start of the qualifiers: http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=496929
Don't think he can change his allegiance now, even though he didn't come on.

Hibernian
03/01/2008, 7:25 PM
Its been doing the rounds for a couple of months on the Hibs messageboards and various newspaperrs in Scotland. He has always said he wants to play in england again, but I think celtic are offering big money.

Think he will move down south myself. I think he has seen the way former players at the club are getting on in the Old Firm clubs from joining from the likes of Hibs. Think someone like Boro, Fulham or even Sunderland will go for him and be better choice.

irishfan86
03/01/2008, 10:06 PM
What's the story with David Norris. I only know he's playing regularly and has 5 goals so far this season. Anyone been keeping a closer eye on him since he was first mentioned as an Irish prospect? He's 26 now so it would want to happen soon.

I've never seen him play, but Ipswich have just been rejected after making a 7 figure bid for him:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3020069,00.html

eirebhoy
03/01/2008, 10:57 PM
any time i've seen him with Ipswich he's down as lining up on the right but I think he floats and joins the attack quite a bit, hence the amount of goals he's getting this season.
Started out as a striker when at Bolton afaik....

He played on the left against Coventry recently. Probably Ipswich's most effective player. Garvan could hardly find a teammate with a pass and tried too many long balls. They're a different team at home.

About Liam Lawrence - 8 goals and 12 assists this season.

St Ledger is believed to be a target for Derby, WBA, Wolves and Charlton so must be worth a shout, a much more accomplished player than the likes of McShane, Bruce and McCarthy.
A lot of people don't read the sticky so I'm repeating myself but McShane has been in very good form recently. I must be the only person in the country that still thinks he'll be a class act. :) Dunne-McShane still definitely our best partnership imo.

theworm2345
03/01/2008, 11:10 PM
Martin Rowlands should get a shot, Morrison should definitely get a recall (unless he just stops scoring...which is possible considering he is very streaky). I don't think Long deserves a spot either

tetsujin1979
04/01/2008, 1:03 AM
Another option at CB is Paddy McCarthy. I would rate him ahead of Bruce anyway and he only has 3 yellows so far this season so he seems to have improved his dicipline since moving to Charlton.He was out of the Charlton side for almost 3 months, and only got back in bacause of injury and suspension. But he took his chance and has kept his place ever since. Good article about him here on Charlton's website: http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31749&newstype=p Didn't know about the charity donation every time he scores, Dean Kiely does something similar when he keeps a clean sheet AFAIR
So far this season, he has 9 starts, and 2 substitutes appearances, with 2 goals and only 2 bookings. By the same time last season, he had 19 starts, and 2 substitutes appearance, 2 goals, 6 bookings and a sending off.
Probably says a lot about how the manager rates him that he signed McCarthy, despite being out injured for most of the second half of last season.

Here's a comparison of the season to date for the central defenders in the Championship: http://tetsujin1979.googlepages.com/defenderComparison.html

What's the story with David Norris. I only know he's playing regularly and has 5 goals so far this season. Anyone been keeping a closer eye on him since he was first mentioned as an Irish prospect? He's 26 now so it would want to happen soon.He's only missed one game for Plymouth this season, that was their League Cup game at home to Wycombe at the start of the season, and started every other game. Plymouth haven't lost a game where he scored, and only drawn one. He has four bookings this season, 2 of those in his last 2 games. Having said that, I don't see him getting into the starting XI, but he could be a squad player.

A lot of people don't read the sticky so I'm repeating myself but McShane has been in very good form recently. I must be the only person in the country that still thinks he'll be a class act. :) Dunne-McShane still definitely our best partnership imo.I still have faith, he faded a little as the qualifiers went on, but I still think he could go on to be a top player for club and country. Still have him as a sub in my fantasy football too!

Martin Rowlands should get a shotWho would Rowlands get in ahead of in the squad? Right now I think the widemen in the squad are going to be Duff, McGeady, Hunt and one from Hoolahan or Yeates. Rowlands is probably 6th (at best) behind those players, and Kilbane

Morrison should definitely get a recall (unless he just stops scoring...which is possible considering he is very streaky).Agreed, on both counts. Clinton's one goal away from equalling his tally from last season. He's on a fantastic streak at the moment - 9 goals in 11 games - but before that he hadn't scored since August. Last season was similar, he scored 6 goals in his last 12 games, but before that he hadn't scored since December, where he hit 4 goals in 7 games.
I don't think Long deserves a spot eitherProbably not until his scoring record improves. Could still a job for the U-21s as well. He's only started 4 games all season, and one of those was in the Carling Cup, which Copell is on record as not caring about. If I was picking the squad tomorrow, the strikers would be Keane, Doyle, Morrison, and one from Lee, Walters and Hunt.

theworm2345
04/01/2008, 3:15 AM
Who would Rowlands get in ahead of in the squad? Right now I think the widemen in the squad are going to be Duff, McGeady, Hunt and one from Hoolahan or Yeates. Rowlands is probably 6th (at best) behind those players, and Kilbane

Rowlands is at his best, in my opinion, in the middle. I forgot about Yeates and Hoolahan who also deserve a sport but I think Rowlands deserves it as much as them because he has been consistent throughout this and last season. I think the Brazil game would be a good test for all 3 of them (and I'm still hoping to see Glenn Whelan eventually as well) to see if they could do the job in the qualifiers. Perhaps JJ O'Toole if he starts starting again

Probably not until his scoring record improves. Could still a job for the U-21s as well. He's only started 4 games all season, and one of those was in the Carling Cup, which Copell is on record as not caring about. If I was picking the squad tomorrow, the strikers would be Keane, Doyle, Morrison, and one from Lee, Walters and Hunt.
I've also argued for Lee for a long time but no one here seems to agree. Walters seems to be very streaky as well and is not first choice (with Lee and Counago doing well together). I assume that is Noel Hunt you are talking about and I admittedly don't know enough about him (or Scottish football in general) to really make a judgement (besides that Anthony Stokes dominated up there and hasn't really dont much at all, even when, albeit too rarely, he is played at striker, in the CCC or EPL).

irishfan86
04/01/2008, 4:30 AM
Worm, I've argued for Alan Lee in recent times....can't say I agree with Connolly though ;)

theworm2345
04/01/2008, 4:54 AM
Worm, I've argued for Alan Lee in recent times....can't say I agree with Connolly though ;)
Even I can't argue for him right now--though I can't really say its his fault he hasn't been scoring--he can't get a game for the team he got promoted (certainly it was as much him as it was Keane, but thats another discussion for another time)

Stuttgart88
04/01/2008, 9:04 AM
Ipswich are rumoured to be interested in Connolly.

Rowlands could be an interesting option in a 4-2-3-1 alongside Carsley. He's the right type of player and he's on good form at the moment but it says it all if our best central midfield options are at mid/low Championship clubs.

Agree about Long. Long, Keogh and Stokes should be in the U21s. Rather than demoralising defeats at this level we should be playing our best U21 team and actually building that way. Of the underage players only McGeady and Joey O'Brien should be in the senior team or thereabouts on merit, maybe also Garvan. If a kid has nothing to offer the senior squad that an older player can't do then leave him to enhance the U21s.

eirebhoy
04/01/2008, 10:02 AM
Player for player we've probably our strongest squad of players in over a decade. I say player for player because of Roy Keane's influence. :)

tetsujin1979
04/01/2008, 11:27 AM
I'd probably go for Lee out of the three I listed above (Hunt/Lee/Walters), we've not had a genuine target man in the team since Niall Quinn retired - the Doc does not count - and he would offer something different to Keane and Doyle. I've had my doubts about Hunt in the past, but he's scoring regularly and deserves a chance, if he had the same scoring record in the Championship, people would be calling for him to be given a squad place.

dr_peepee
04/01/2008, 1:27 PM
Tets - I take your point on Hoolahan and Yeates, I would class Yeates and Walters as very similar types of players i.e midfielders with a happy knack of scoring goals, always though of Hoolahan as an Andy Reid type player, has a lovely left foot on him....all deffo worth a look anyway...

Wasn't Yeates compared to Paul Gascgoine when he was at Spurs??

tetsujin1979
04/01/2008, 1:38 PM
Wasn't Yeates compared to Paul Gascgoine when he was at Spurs??
Jol definitely rated him, even though he was constantly sending him out on loan to get experience. He did say he had the same sort of tricks as Gazza in this article: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-15867883-details/Jol+gives+Gazza+tag+to+Yeates/article.do
I think the regular football at Colchester, as opposed to 2-3 months at various clubs, is having a positive effect on him. He's their joint top scorer, along with striker Kevin Lisbie, which is no mean feat for a midfielder playing in a struggling team. They're 2 points from safety, but it's very tight at the bottom of the Championship - 6 points separate 7 teams - if Colchester did go down you would hope his form this season would get him a move to a better Championship side, or even one of the promoted teams.

the doc
04/01/2008, 2:19 PM
When you look at the young players we have coming through and playing regular 1st team footaball at Championship level and above, coupled with the regular national team players who are playing at Premiership level.
Then you have to say that it is looking good for the future of the national team, providing we can get the right manager in to take them forward of course.

onceahoop
04/01/2008, 8:31 PM
We definitely need a big target man in the squad, if only to change things around from time to time. How many times last year did we see long balls going forward and no one big enough to win it.

In the Cyprus game Given was reduced to kicking towards Kilbane on the left. It became predictable. From what I've seen of Lee (admittedly not a lot), he looks reasonably mobile as well.

Stuttgart88
04/01/2008, 8:43 PM
Rory Delap is tall, athletic, playing well in an in-form team and a central midfielder. Woefully under-considered in the past and frequently played out of position.

In the old soccercentral.ie days, just after WC02, Delap was my shoe-in CM option. Funny thing is, we haven't come up with anyone really better since. Have we been wasting our time with the likes of Douglas, Miller, Gibson etc. when there's a cpmpetent option right under our noses all along? Maybe we were too proud, i.e., unlike Northern Ireland we wanted a "name" in kudfield or failing that, a potential "name"?

Why not try Delap to fill the gap until the younger tyros are properly ready?

Stuttgart88
04/01/2008, 8:46 PM
From what I've seen of Lee (admittedly not a lot), he looks reasonably mobile as well.I like Lee a lot but he's in the Championship because he lacks mobility & athleticism. Very game player and a handful for defenders - certainly at 3rd & 4th seed international level - but mobile, alas not :)

NeilMcD
04/01/2008, 9:01 PM
Rory Delap is tall, athletic, playing well in an in-form team and a central midfielder. Woefully under-considered in the past and frequently played out of position.

In the old soccercentral.ie days, just after WC02, Delap was my shoe-in CM option. Funny thing is, we haven't come up with anyone really better since. Have we been wasting our time with the likes of Douglas, Miller, Gibson etc. when there's a cpmpetent option right under our noses all along? Maybe we were too proud, i.e., unlike Northern Ireland we wanted a "name" in kudfield or failing that, a potential "name"?

Why not try Delap to fill the gap until the younger tyros are properly ready?

I remember Giles suggested that we play him upfront

tetsujin1979
04/01/2008, 9:37 PM
I remember Giles suggested that we play him upfront
Didn't he end up playing as a striker in the away leg to Turkey for Euro 2000?

Stuttgart88
05/01/2008, 9:49 AM
Yep, well remembered.

Superhoops
05/01/2008, 10:23 AM
I like Lee a lot but he's in the Championship because he lacks mobility & athleticism. Very game player and a handful for defenders - certainly at 3rd & 4th seed international level - but mobile, alas not :)
I remember Lee coming on as a sub for Morrison in friendly against Czech Republic in Dublin in March 2004 and looking very mobile and a handful. He almost scored with a header and made the winner for Robbie Keane with a great run down the right and a good cross. Never understood why he did not get more chances after that.

Stuttgart88
05/01/2008, 3:29 PM
I remember that, a run not dissimilar to Michael Robinson's against Russia all those years ago but the cutback for Keane was missed by a falling defender. I watched him up close at The Valley in 2004 and he was just lacking in pace, but certainly not effort. I think he's worth a place, probably ahead of Murphy.

irishfan86
05/01/2008, 9:08 PM
Watched the Ipswich-Portsmouth match earlier, and Lee came on as a late sub and looked very dangerous, nearly scoring with a powerful header.

He's not Cisse, but he's not as slow as advertised here.

In any case, with his physical attributes, speed isn't absolutely necessary.

Campbell was having a very hard time dealing with him for those final minutes he was on the field.

I'd definitely have him in the squad, we don't have another player like him at that level.

Garvan had a decent enough game as well- Ipswich were down a man for the majority of the match, so it's hard to comment on his offensive abilities, but he looked confident on the ball, and was full of running.

Also seems to take most of Ipswich's set pieces.

Alex Bruce had a solid enough game at the back, and is comfortable on the ball.

Ipswich are a really good footballing team though, kept it on the floor quite a bit considering they were down a man, before resorting to long ball near the end when they brought on Lee.

the doc
06/01/2008, 10:18 AM
Watched the Ipswich-Portsmouth match earlier, and Lee came on as a late sub and looked very dangerous, nearly scoring with a powerful header.

He's not Cisse, but he's not as slow as advertised here.

In any case, with his physical attributes, speed isn't absolutely necessary.

Campbell was having a very hard time dealing with him for those final minutes he was on the field.

I'd definitely have him in the squad, we don't have another player like him at that level.

Garvan had a decent enough game as well- Ipswich were down a man for the majority of the match, so it's hard to comment on his offensive abilities, but he looked confident on the ball, and was full of running.

Also seems to take most of Ipswich's set pieces.

Alex Bruce had a solid enough game at the back, and is comfortable on the ball.

Ipswich are a really good footballing team though, kept it on the floor quite a bit considering they were down a man, before resorting to long ball near the end when they brought on Lee.

Both Lee and Bruce lack the pace to play at a higher level, Nugent as he did yesterday for the goal always exploits Bruce for his lack of pace.

Stuttgart88
06/01/2008, 12:14 PM
More Championship players that merit a look: Jay Tabb and Michael Doyle. I'm not just saying this because Coventry had a good win yesterday, it's more because I had forgotten about them when I posted on page 1!

Tabb is a properly talented footballer. Doyle is a competent enough central midfielder with a good left foot. By all accounts he did very well in the recent B international in Scotland.

The more I think of it the more I cringe at Andy Keogh being played wide right against Germany and Cyprus when there were / are players playing well at the same club level but actually in that position.

livehead1
06/01/2008, 12:16 PM
Both Lee and Bruce lack the pace to play at a higher level, Nugent as he did yesterday for the goal always exploits Bruce for his lack of pace.

Great pace isn't generally needed at international level. It is played at a slower pace but this term "lack the pace to play at a higher level" is always banded about.

An international needs to be relaible, good positional awareness (good pace is only needed if this is lacking) and very comfortable in possession of the ball with regard to touch and ability to find a man with a pass.

Stuttgart88
06/01/2008, 12:29 PM
Pace is great asset at any level thouigh. Only this morning Roy Hodgson was writing (Sunday Telegraph interview with Patrick Barclay - a big fan of his obviously) what has been obvious to many for ages: that the standard of athleticism in the modern game is much higher than before. Can you get away without pace? Yes, of course, but I think that if Lee, given his other assets, was pacier than he his he could do well in the Premiership. John Carew is an example of a a guy who doesn't appear to have any great speed - good technique though. Chris Sutton wasn't overly quick - no slouch - but was really good with his feet and was very clever.

I think Lee is the kind of player that could trouble the 3rd, 4th and 5th seeds but Italy and teams of their standard would cope with him in their sleep.

I think a slow defender would be found out at international level.

Stuttgart88
06/01/2008, 7:14 PM
Actually Viduka is an example of a guy with no pace but who does OK.

I watched a lot of Stoke vs Newcastle. Liam Lawrence did fine, full of running, good awareness, takes a good dead ball and is physically imposing. Probably a better player than Kilbane with similar attributes. I'm surprised both Keane and staunton disgarded him so quickly.

We've better wide options if they're all fit (Hunt, Duff, McGeady...) but he could be worth a look in the middle. Anyone agree? I really think this is our problem area.

shakermaker1982
06/01/2008, 7:39 PM
I thought Lawrence put some very good crosses in from set pieces and he looks a tidy player overall. I'd like to see him included in the Brazil squad - no harm in the new manager having a look. His 'infamous' homemade video probably didn't do him many favours with Keane and he was quickly sent on his way after that

RiffRaff
06/01/2008, 10:45 PM
I thought Lawrence put some very good crosses in from set pieces and he looks a tidy player overall. I'd like to see him included in the Brazil squad - no harm in the new manager having a look. His 'infamous' homemade video probably didn't do him many favours with Keane and he was quickly sent on his way after that

I think Keane and Lawrence had a punch up on the training ground before that video came to light - he'd already been shipped out to Stoke by then