PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool "Dunne" to death!!

OwlsFan
30/12/2007, 6:07 PM
What a perfomance by Richard Dunne. Last ditch tackles, clearances off the line. A tower of strength. Oh for another centre-half like him.

irishfan86
30/12/2007, 7:20 PM
Saw that match as well, one of the best performances I've ever seen from a centre-half.

Philly
30/12/2007, 9:28 PM
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=519222

Sven agrees. “I thought Richard was colossal,” Sven asserts, “He had a magnificent game, absolutely outstanding. The entire back four were superb and I thought we deserved the point.

“Richard and Micah have been so important for us this season, it’s like building a house, you start from behind and they have done an excellent job for us all season. They are great football players.

Dave77
31/12/2007, 12:13 AM
"last ditch tackles, clearing off the line" surley the great defenders dont have to to do this because they cut out things earlier but maybe im just negative.

Serb
31/12/2007, 12:40 AM
"last ditch tackles, clearing off the line" surley the great defenders dont have to to do this because they cut out things earlier but maybe im just negative.

In fairness, even the great defenders can't be every place at once to cut out every through ball, so the last ditch tackles and blocks are generally required at any level. However, City were pretty much outclassed by Liverpool, and if weren't for Dunne in particular they would have gotten at least the one goal required to win the game.

TheJamaicanP.M.
31/12/2007, 1:44 AM
What a majestic performance by Dunne today. It was definitely the best individual performance I've seen from an Irish player in quite some time. He's matured into a top-class central defender and an outstanding leader.

bellavistaman
31/12/2007, 2:59 AM

correct. typical irish view IMO, youd really want to study the game to pick negatives out of his game, fair play for putting in the time to do so. :mad:

DmanDmythDledge
31/12/2007, 3:09 AM
While that would generally be true it doesn't apply to this performance- you'd only see this by looking at the highlights.

I agree with Jamaican PM- absolute top quality from Dunne today. He's definitely up there now as one of the top centre backs in the Premiership.

Dave77
31/12/2007, 6:13 AM
In all fairness I cant really comment since I only saw highlights and Dunne seemed to have a good a game, my problem is Dunne is always likely to make a mistake during games, he does something brilliant then something stupid, compared to what we have had I think he is good nothing more, but maybe im negative.

Drumcondra 69er
31/12/2007, 9:49 AM
In all fairness I cant really comment since I only saw highlights and Dunne seemed to have a good a game, my problem is Dunne is always likely to make a mistake during games, he does something brilliant then something stupid, compared to what we have had I think he is good nothing more, but maybe im negative.

That post is about 2 or 3 years (if not more) out of date, Dunne rarely makes mistakes these days, it's actually very unlikely that's he'll do so in any given 90 minutes.

He was superb yesterday and should be our next captain without doubt.

NeilMcD
31/12/2007, 9:51 AM
Agree, Dunne for our player of the year, Dunne for our captain. One Tallaght boy for another.

Stuttgart88
31/12/2007, 10:06 AM
Superb performance: leadership, judgment, strength, pace, subtelty, timing, reading...

He really contained Torres though Alan Greene was ranting on all through the 606 phone-in that it was a penalty for "manhandling Torres". I'm obviously biased but Torres was trying to push across Dunne just as much as Dunne was trying to repel Torres. He was just stronger.

I used to think Dunne was really only a "backs to the wall" defender but now I think he's the real deal.

The last-gasp tackles are one thing but his general game was superb. Young McShane makes very good last gasp interventions but in his case I think it sometimes betrays poor initial positioning, very often he's recovering from an earlier error. Dunne used to be like that at times.

McShels
31/12/2007, 11:24 AM
Dunne was superb yesterday, I havent seen any other defender play Torres as well this season. It was refreshing to see both Torres and Dunne play the game as it should be played both players trying to use their talents to outdo the other without resorting to diving/cheating etc.

Erstwhile Bóz
31/12/2007, 11:46 AM
Torres was very much off his touch, but Dunne's attentions didn't help him one bit. Massive performance from the Honey Monster.

Really enjoyed that match, if not the result, as a Liverpool fan.

green army
31/12/2007, 11:47 AM
excellent performance frm dunne.

billybunter
31/12/2007, 2:18 PM
Agree, Dunne for our player of the year, Dunne for our captain. One Tallaght boy for another.

that for me is the real positive of Dunne's performance. As good as his tackling, passing, intercepting and all round perfromance was, he was constantly talking to players around him, encouraging players with pats on the back, encouraging the young keeper, organizing at corners etc. He really and truly needs to be our captain - he has it all.
You could see that Torres was just demoralized as he was beaten in the air, on the ground, out wide, in the box.
As one other poster said here, this has been Richie Dunne for the past 2 years - incredible conistencty.

livehead1
31/12/2007, 2:51 PM
If he continues to show the form he has shown since the start of the English season, he will make the team of the year.

Maroon 7
31/12/2007, 5:17 PM
Great performance from Dunne although I thought Torres looked very tired even early on in the game. Probably not used to playing so many games over the Christmas period. Not Dunne's concern though and in the last 15 minutes he more or less kept Liverpool out by himself as they laid siege to the City goal.

I see Dunne is linked with Liverpool in the Indo today.

eirebhoy
31/12/2007, 5:30 PM
He was linked with them in the summer too.

livehead1
31/12/2007, 6:32 PM
Needs to stay where he is, doing perfectly well, good role model for S.Ireland and they are a team on the up. Don't see any reason from an international fans point of view as to why he should leave.

Maroon 7
31/12/2007, 7:10 PM
Needs to stay where he is, doing perfectly well, good role model for S.Ireland and they are a team on the up. Don't see any reason from an international fans point of view as to why he should leave.

Granted he's doing fine where he is but then again regular European football wouldn't hurt him. With Hyypia probably leaving in the Summer a centre half berth will be free at Liverpool. It's one of those ones though where I don't think it'd be neccessary for him to move but it's hard to turn down one of the really big clubs when they come in for you.

gufcfan
31/12/2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=519222

it’s like building a house, you start from behind

i thought they started at the bottom, but im no builder so....

Emmet
31/12/2007, 10:41 PM
Dunne has certainly come on in the last few years - he is much more of a McCarthy-type player than someone like McGrath but that's not necessarily a bad thing given the current state of our international setup.

stojkovic
01/01/2008, 3:40 PM
Dunne has certainly come on in the last few years - he is much more of a McCarthy-type player than someone like McGrath but that's not necessarily a bad thing given the current state of our international setup.
McCarthy had the pace of three legged donkey and couldnt tackle a good fart.

Very Dunne-like alright.

Emmet
01/01/2008, 4:53 PM
McCarthy was much more effective in backs-to-the-wall situations, as is Dunne. As to whether he was able to tackle a fart or not - I really don't know. Unlike yourself, that's not something I know too much about :D

tricky_colour
02/01/2008, 8:14 PM
He's having another cracker against Newcastle.
Super tackle in penalty area. Winning praise from commentators.

NeilMcD
02/01/2008, 8:25 PM
Where are you watching this Tricky

livehead1
02/01/2008, 9:47 PM
Just watched Man City Newcastle, Dunne was outstanding, MOTM again in all likeliness, Ireland played well, Given had no chance with either goal and made one good save, Duff looked OK but tired and was subbed.

tricky_colour
02/01/2008, 11:14 PM
Where are you watching this Tricky

Was watching on one of the steams from
http://forum.freefootball.org/
Obviously it is over now but I didn't see your comment untill now as I was also busy doing well in a couple of poker tournamants, hard work playing 4 tables and watching footie at the same time!!
They have streams for a lot of the top games although it can be a bit hit and miss regrading quality/reliability.

Metrostars
12/01/2008, 11:59 AM
Plenty of praise for Dunne from Erikkson in this article:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2239680,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5