PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Doherty

Gara Vogue
05/06/2003, 6:31 PM
Does anyone know how come Tommy Doherty of Bristol City was allowed to play for Northern Ireland? Surely he's already played for our under-21 team.

tiktok
05/06/2003, 10:21 PM
don't know the details of the case but i think you can change allegiance once you've not played in a senior competitive international game.

john fashanu declared for nigeria after having played in an england senior friendly game.

Soko
05/06/2003, 10:30 PM
I saw him playing for Bristol against Cardiff in the playoff semi finals and he looked very slow and clumsy. He's better off with Northern Ireland as he would'nt get a sniff off Brian Kerrs Irish side.

gspain
06/06/2003, 7:01 AM
you have to play competitive football at some level to be tied to a country. He qualifies for a few. I think we turned him down.

Remember Andy O'Brien and Dean Kiely played with england.

pineapple stu
06/06/2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by gspain
you have to play competitive football at some level to be tied to a country. He qualifies for a few. I think we turned him down.

Remember Andy O'Brien and Dean Kiely played with england.

And Alan Kernaghan played for the North - remember the abuse he got in 1993?!

gspain
06/06/2003, 1:49 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
And Alan Kernaghan played for the North - remember the abuse he got in 1993?!

He played schoolboys for them but they wouldn't pick up. 4 grandparents from Northern Ireland and they refused him so he declared for us.

He got gogs abuse when he played there - think it was 93 but then we all got abuse that night. :D :D :D