PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Duffer.

NeilMcD
23/12/2007, 2:23 PM
Duffer back on today just about to come onto the pitch. Great to see him back lets hope he can do well.

Armando
23/12/2007, 2:34 PM
Great to see him back...we really missed him for Ireland. Set up pretty much all our goals in the early games of the last campign before his injury.

Noelys Guitar
23/12/2007, 8:55 PM
Delighted Duff is back. Crucial to our chances of qualifying.

tetsujin1979
24/12/2007, 12:54 AM
Saw the highlights on MOTD2, I was delighted that the first thing he did when receiving the ball was beat his man and deliver a ball to the far side of the 6 yard area, between the keeper and the centre halves.

irishfan86
24/12/2007, 8:04 AM
Caught the end of that match...Newcastle were doing pretty dire overall, and looked shaky, but once Duff was on the ball things calmed down a bit.

He looked very composed and sharp for a player out as long as he has been, he must have done some intense training in preparation of this comeback.

Hopefully he can find his form and enjoy his football for a while.

eirebhoy
24/12/2007, 2:31 PM
He was getting into good positions but I thought he looked very nervous on the ball. At one point he beat the offside trap and ran with the ball into the box. He just ran around slightly clueless when he should have passed it to the onrushing players. The crowd were shouting at him to pass it (Newcastle fans don't have much patience) and the commentator said something like "Give him a break, he's been out for so long". His game is so much about instinct that those 2 years of playing conservatively might have fecked him. Hopefully not.

irishfan86
24/12/2007, 10:32 PM
He was getting into good positions but I thought he looked very nervous on the ball. At one point he beat the offside trap and ran with the ball into the box. He just ran around slightly clueless when he should have passed it to the onrushing players. The crowd were shouting at him to pass it (Newcastle fans don't have much patience) and the commentator said something like "Give him a break, he's been out for so long". His game is so much about instinct that those 2 years of playing conservatively might have fecked him. Hopefully not.

I remember the play you're talking about, but his angle was far too acute to take a shot, and there were no Newcastle players in the box.

On the feed I was watching the commentators said, "the Newcastle supporters are urging him to pass, but there's nobody in the box!"

eirebhoy
26/12/2007, 1:05 PM
and there were no Newcastle players in the box.
2 players ran into the box and it was ideal for Duff just to roll the ball into their path.

eirebhoy
26/12/2007, 1:45 PM
He's in the team today against Wigan.

irishfan86
27/12/2007, 2:26 PM
2 players ran into the box and it was ideal for Duff just to roll the ball into their path.

Ah, maybe I was thinking of a different play then.

A bit anonymous against Wigan, but he can't be expected to come in and dominate right away after being out for so long.

Glad to see him get more match time and remain unscathed.

tricky_colour
27/12/2007, 4:12 PM
Allardyce added: "Michael's not had enough match practice under his belt. It's the same with Damien Duff – he's not fully match fit yet, but he's back in where he wants to be."

That's a funny comment from Allardyce, does Duff play when he wants to?

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/Fans-right-to-be-unhappy.3621834.jp