PDA

View Full Version : Have Irish people gone PC mad?

sligoman
23/12/2007, 1:11 AM
This ad:

yJHglcAaVxo

has been banned after several complaints about it being ageist. Now I'm sorry but I find that absolutely stupid. Have people nothing better to be complaining about? A lot of people rang the Joe Duffy show(:rolleyes: ) saying they wouldn't go near Meteor as a result of this ad. The actress in it, who's in her 90's afaik, defended the ad saying it wasn't ageist and that it's just funny.

Now weather you like the ad/meteor or not is irrelevant, I just want to know if people think banning something like this is ridiculous and have we really gone mad on being politically correct? or do you agree that the ad is offensive to the elderly?

GavinZac
23/12/2007, 1:17 AM
the ad is clearly saying "even granny isnt safe from explusion if her gifts don't weigh up!", rather than "grannies are old, stupid and cheap. exclude them from society".

it has nothing to do with "irish people going pc mad". it has everything to do with people loving a good moan about something - hardly able to say we're PC mad in the same week as a national outcry about the words "faggot" and "slut on junk" being censored from a christmas song during the day.

CollegeTillIDie
23/12/2007, 8:01 AM
When I first saw this thread I was wondering had we all gone Personal Computers/Apple Mac mad ..... It strikes me that there is a theme about Christmas this year. Has anyone heard the radio ad for Oxfam...'' Don't give Junk This Christmas''? The theme being
Sh1t presents don't cut the mustard. In the case of meteor it's give a mobile phone instead, in the case of Oxfam, give one of their Charity presents, a goat or a portaloo

Armando
23/12/2007, 2:21 PM
Was it actually banned or did Meteor pull the ad themselves because of the complaints and negative feedback?

micls
23/12/2007, 2:25 PM
Was it actually banned or did Meteor pull the ad themselves because of the complaints and negative feedback?

Meteor pulled it

Lionel Ritchie
23/12/2007, 2:46 PM
I'm delighted. I'd ban all manner of crappy ads for all manner of crappy crap if I was only allowed assume the mantle of my destiny.

inexile
23/12/2007, 3:33 PM
it might be a rubbish ad, but people complaining about it are so stupid, imho, there are people in this country who seem to be happy only when they are complaining about something. its an ad that was supposed to be funny and if people think its ageist, i personally think they are the ones with the problem! they way things are going we wont be able to slag the foreigners anymore!!:eek:

Maz
23/12/2007, 4:48 PM
Speaking of PC Ireland, check out todays Sunday World and Paddy Murrays version of "Fairytale of New York"

I found it very funny

inexile
23/12/2007, 5:16 PM
any chance of a link maz please??

sligoman
23/12/2007, 5:19 PM
any chance of a link maz please??Are you trying to chat her up?;)

Maz
23/12/2007, 5:31 PM
I looked but its not on their webpage at the moment. I just read it earlier today, perhaps someone could scan it for foot.ie ??

Sligoboy..behave

pete
24/12/2007, 12:03 AM
Meteor pulled it

Call me a cynic but seems like nice free publicity for Meteor.

Pauro 76
24/12/2007, 1:18 PM
Dublin Bus also censored an ad for Paddy Power, 'Where have all the girls gone', the guy breastfeeding a baby. It was a harmless ad for christ's sake, nothing offensive at all!