PDA

View Full Version : League

Scotsman
05/06/2003, 12:19 PM
I have had long discussions with several people on this forum about various footballing issues - Mostly about Celtic and most have been excellent.

What about this prooposal - A Scots/Irish league.

Both leagues amalgamated.

Would this be feesible??

Would it be beneficical??

What would happen with the Irish Celtic fans??

Your thoughts would be appreciate.

Thanks

Robert

tiktok
05/06/2003, 9:45 PM
here i go again,:rolleyes:

as with the all-ireland league i don't think many LOI clubs are financially secure enough to consider this. i don't really think that it'd ever fly, the same questions that the suggested old firm move to england would have to be dealt with, i.e. european places etc.

don't worry about the irish celtic fans though, when celtic played city a few years back the shed was full of celtic shirts.

it was lovely to see:mad:

Gary
05/06/2003, 10:52 PM
There is no way it would work. for one thing why have 2 different countries in one league?

Secondly, even teams like Dunfermline and Partick would probably have more professional set ups than most Irish clubs (all even).

Thirdly, as tik tok mentioned, Irish celtic fans would just multiply beyond belief.

Not too mention the fact that if Rangers visited, say, Dundalk there would be holy war (if u pardon the semi pun).

What i would like to see though is some sort of cup competition between Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Norn Iron clubs. I reckon that could defo work.

tiktok
06/06/2003, 1:04 AM
actually that's not a bad idea, while i am opposed to the all ireland league (at least until it can be shown to work in a cup competition successfully) a cup competition along the lines of the celtic league in rugby would be good every couple of years. of course it would probably be awkward to run what with us having a summer league.

Scotsman
06/06/2003, 6:59 AM
Some good suggestions.

I would like to see some sort of Celtic league/cup like you mentioned.

Probarly will never happen anyway but a nice idea.

I was going to ask about if Rangers would be welcome but dd not want to be accused of being a bigot!

EireBadBoy
06/06/2003, 2:22 PM
That just wouldn't appeal to me personally and I doubt very much if many Clubs would be interested. As mentioned there would be a great deal of travelling (Imagine Dublin Teams travelling :D ) and expense for very little reward.

Besides, do you think Celtic/Rangers scould lower themselves to our standard :rolleyes: or even the vast majority of Scots Football Fans considering Ireland to be on a par with Scottish Football?? I don't think so.

Soko
09/06/2003, 10:21 PM
The Celtic League is way different with 4 Irish, 3 Scottish and the remainder Welsh sides. All are fully professional and with the exception of the Welsh sides are bank rolled by their respective unions. Do you think the F.A.I. will pay John O Flynns wages or help us travel to Aberdeen in November?

max power
11/06/2003, 2:00 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman
Some good suggestions.

I would like to see some sort of Celtic league/cup like you mentioned.

Probarly will never happen anyway but a nice idea.

I was going to ask about if Rangers would be welcome but dd not want to be accused of being a bigot!

its bad enough having half of celtic's fans over here without bringing the teams over too, rangers as a football team would be welcome anywhere, its the fools who involve more than football into the equation that would not make them welcome.

scotsman, if you want to see the sort of celtic rubbish that goes on in this country watch the ireland match tonight and listen to the brainless goms boo a Georgia player just because he plays for rangers, Landsdown road should have a nanny for all the childish clowns inside.

but best of luck to scotland in the qualifiers

Scouse
12/06/2003, 3:27 PM
:mad: Is it not possible that if Rangers come over here a few times it will break down the animosity?? When Shels got Rangers in Europe a few seasons back I almost sprinted to get tickets. To see some top quality players, whoever they play for, is what football is all about.

There is a Dublin Rangers supporters club which has quite a few members and goes to games regularly and fair f**ks to them. I heard that recently a group of Celtic fans invited them into a "Welcome to Dublin" night which turned out to be an attempted ambush by over 200 celtic fans........

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 4:07 PM
Is that true - A wee bit mad if so.

Every club has it's morons - For me the people who had Porto parties were morons.

I would never ever go to anything like that if Rangers ever got to a final again.

Tubes - My in-laws are blue-noses and even they wouldn't entertain anything like that.

Anyway let them do what they want - As long as I try and do the right thing.

Scouse
12/06/2003, 4:32 PM
Aye Scotsman,

u have no idea of the moronic level of some celtic fans over here. A mate of mine was going out with a fella from Glasgow a couple of years back and he couldnt believe how bad fans where over here.
He was trying to tell them its only football we hate Gers the week before and after a game but then its back to normal. He made the point that they all have to live/work together anyway. That is probably the difference - we over here dont have to.....

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 4:47 PM
I think that does play a major part in it, although I have to say there is alot of Celtic and Rangers fans in Scotland that go too far.

I accept now that's just the way it is.

I enjoy hating Rangers but I don't hate Protestants - I do however dislike bitter people and narrow minded people.

I think Orange halls and walks should be banned.

If the Scottish government are serious in tackling bigotry then the first things that have to go are establishments like these.

And that goes for Hibs walks as well.

I like a good noise up with the blue-noses but it's just banter - The Glasgow banter!!

Ever watched Chewin The Fat??

Scouse
12/06/2003, 4:50 PM
No mate - never heard of it. Though have u ever heard of "goin' fer a pint" cos i'm off.

Stop sectarianism.

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 4:52 PM
Lucky you - Stuck in this bloody office.

Have a nice wee pint o lager for me.

Maybe talk with you soon!!

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 5:57 PM
Here's a wee joke you might appreciate after having your pint.

This guy is speeding in his car when suddenly a policeman jumps from out under a bridge with a speed gun.

"In a hurry Sir??" says the policeman.

"Well actually I am - I'm late for work" says the guy.

"And what do you work as then?" asks the policeman.

"Well I'm a rectum stretcher" says the guy.

" Ah what?"

"A rectum stretcher"

"And what does that involve?"

"Well 1st I get 1 finger in and stretch and then I get 2 fingers an d stretch then 1 hand and then 2 hands and I eventually stretch the rectum to 6ft"

"And what would you do with a 6ft Arsehole?" asked the copper.

"Well I would give it a speed gun and stand him under a bridge!"

Pretty dier but the cleanest joke I know for a footie forum - Think I'll stick with the football!!

Cheers

Robert