PDA

View Full Version : New 10,000 seater stadium for the Hyde Road?

JoeyFantastic
21/12/2007, 12:19 PM
Radical plan for 10,000 seat stadium in Cals Park

In sad decline: Cals Park
In sad decline: Cals Park
In sad decline: Cals Park&Size=300
Click on thumbnail to view image&Size=300

By John Hogan
THE Limerick Leader confirmed this Thursday that talks are at a "crucial and sensitive" stage in securing a state of the art indoor sports and events stadium which could hold over 10,000 people.
The Hyde Road site has been earmarked as the venue for the massive development, which could be home to Limerick soccer and also possibly be used for international concerts and conferences.

A number of interested parties, including Limerick City Council, the FAI, the Limerick Regeneration Board and Limerick District Management Committee are believed to be involved in talks regarding the possibility of building the facility.

The chief executive of the Limerick Regeneration Agencies, Brendan Kenny, confirmed that Regeneration officials were involved in the talks and that proposals for Caledonian Park would be included in the Regeneration Vision Document, which is released in January.
"We would very much love to have a state of the art sporting facility in the area," said Mr Kenny.

Mr Kenny could not confirm the size of the stadium being discussed but said that the mooted capacity figure of 10,500 wasn't far off the mark.
The Limerick Leader was this week shown a document which showed how far the secret negotiations have come along.

The document published by the Limerick Football Partnership, which consists of all schoolboys, ladies and junior and senior teams in Limerick, details the group's infrastructure requirements.

Cllr Jim Long, who is a representative for the area in which the stadium may be built, said that City Council is in negotiations to purchase ground owned by CIE next to the council-owned Guinness site on Carey's road, which also borders on the Caledonian Park site.

"It's my understanding that talks are at a crucial and sensitive stage between City Council, the FAI, the Regeneration Boards, CIE, the LDMC and representatives from the Limerick senior soccer scene," said Cllr Long.

JoeyFantastic
21/12/2007, 12:20 PM
Seems far fetched, infacta, it seems positively unlikely, but always great to see the Leader starting more rumours.

lfc at heart
21/12/2007, 5:47 PM
actually its not a romour, it was announced last saturday morning by ger finnin on 95fm, Talks are at an advanced stage, i think its great, it seems it will take in all surrounding green area around cals, I think that includes the waste land in janesboro across from cals, guinnesses, looneys wholesale place, the cie club and the waste ground there, the field that prospect and hyde own also, be surprised if the ldmc would agree, i heard that cie want to buy jackman park for the bus depot as they were refused premission to build the bus depot at the other side of the station. all the 3 story flats at the right of the station are going to be knocked, Austin Quinilivans has been giving a new pub and when not if the cie buy Jackman park that the 10 houses from the entrance to jackman to the traffic lights on careys road/hyde road cornor will be bought on a compulsury order and knocked as the entrance to the bus depot will be there. Id love to see cals been upgraded to a 10k seater statium, great for the city and the area. interesting times ahead

redron
21/12/2007, 10:46 PM
My only problem with this propoal coming on the agenda now is that it's a bit up in the air. If it's made concrete in the very near future, then I'd get behind it (I mean, it sounds great!). But my fear is that it'll be used as an excuse for not developing Jackman Park. So if it doesn't come to fruition and Jackman is left more-or-less as is, we'll find ourselves in a year or two's time in exactly the same situation we're in at the moment.

4tothefloor
21/12/2007, 10:53 PM
Well with the value of Jackman Park, financial assistance from the city council and the currently flush FAI, and government/regeneration grants on top of all that, it wouldn't appear to be that far fetched at all. The ground/site doesn't even need to be bought, apart from the CIE bit which is not going to cost much considering they need Jackman...... It's a lot less far fetched than anything ever being done at Jackman/an FAI stadium at Rathbane/a return to the Markets Field!

And the great thing would be that because all the different bodies involved, it looks like it'd be a shared home for a number of different bodies - meaning no more tenants of the LDMC bull to put up with. We can only hope......:eek:

redron
21/12/2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah. You're dead right.
But only if it actually comes to pass!
If it's a case that "it might happen", and this situation drags on for ages, and then it falls through (meanwhile nothing happening to develop Jackman Park), then we're all left disappointed AGAIN!
That's my only problem with this proposal.

From what I can gather, it would be a better facility than the previously touted finished product at Jackman. There's certainly more space on site. More elbow room would obviously facilitate a more comfortable development.

Lim till i die
22/12/2007, 11:36 AM
Well with the value of Jackman Park

I think there could potentially be an issue here.

There's people within the LDMC that the only way you would get Jackman from them is to pry it from their cold, dead, hands.

Already there's a few "What's in it for us" style murmors going around :rolleyes:

Still, we can but hope that common sense will prevail :eek: :)

CollegeTillIDie
22/12/2007, 11:44 AM
The stadium idea sounds great. Next time a Limerick club play Real Madrid in Europe you'll be able to host it at '' home''.

Lim till i die
22/12/2007, 12:29 PM
The stadium idea sounds great. Next time a Limerick club play Real Madrid in Europe you'll be able to host it at '' home''.

We were able to the first time aswell but the lads in charge decided to go for the big bucks.

The cynical Limerick public, to their eternal credit, didn't bother their ar$e travelling to Dublin.

gael353
22/12/2007, 4:19 PM
well for a start the stadium is a runner. all parties seem to be for it and its not a 10,000 football stadium which is being built its a 6,000 but a 10,000 indoor thingy for stad\ium gigs etc and conferences.

Monkfish
22/12/2007, 4:43 PM
its not a 10,000 football stadium which is being built its a 6,000 but a 10,000 indoor thingy for stad\ium gigs etc and conferences.

A disgrace! just not good enough! how much more lies will we have to put up with? sack the board! Kerley out! Finnin for the birch!

Lim till i die
23/12/2007, 7:30 PM
A disgrace! just not good enough! how much more lies will we have to put up with? sack the board! Kerley out! Finnin for the birch!

O'CONNOR OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

redron
21/01/2008, 11:56 PM
From page 28 of the document entitled Our Community, Our Vision, Our Future - Regeneration of Southill and Ballinacurra Weston, the "vision statement" of the Limerick Southside Regeneration Board:

A particular concept for the Southside that has gained some momentum to date is one around soccer. The concept is the construction of a modern stadium in Caledonian Park, Hyde Road with related indoor facilities (including an events centre), and artificial turf pitches, which would effectively become a regional centre for soccer, a venue for senior soccer and the new 'home' of soccer in Limerick. The Regeneration Agency will continue to work with the various stakeholders in order to promote this very significant proposal for the Southside.
And further on the website:

The initial proposals are to formulate a vision statement on both areas by the end of 2007 and to have comprehensive and detailed Masterplans finalised by June 2008.
It is expected that vision statements encompassing all physical social and economic requirements will be prepared and launched in January 2008.

It's all a bit wishy-washy!
But presumably the FAI have had greater assurances than these that something concrete will happen.

The "vision statements" for north- and southsides can be downloaded from the website http://www.limerickregeneration.ie
The Sports section is on pages 26-28 in the Southside document.

harpin
22/01/2008, 8:23 AM
The FAI put McCarthy in touch with us, has he any links to Limerick? and if he doesnt whats in it for him?

Denis The Red
22/01/2008, 10:39 AM
It's good news if it's true, I think, but I have bad memories of Cals from my playing days.:eek:

chinastone29
22/01/2008, 9:56 PM
It's good news if it's true, I think, but I have bad memories of Cals from my playing days.:eek:

Yeah, remember the charges of the light (Piebald) brigades that still have grown men shaking in their Gola's

gufcfan
26/01/2008, 7:26 PM
Ive been reading through this thread and I really hope it works out for yee all. A city like Limerick deserves a decent stadium for it's soccer team.

I'll see yee down in Jackman Park on Friday evening!!!

fc hammer
26/01/2008, 9:56 PM
Looking forward to it already. Come on the blues !

gael353
26/01/2008, 11:11 PM
i think the home friendlies are going to be reversed to Terryland and queenstown. Jackman is unplayable at the moment so i hear

GenerationXI
27/01/2008, 11:50 AM
i think the home friendlies are going to be reversed to Terryland and queenstown. Jackman is unplayable at the moment so i hear

Any more information on this?

gael353
27/01/2008, 12:42 PM
Any more information on this?

eh...no!