21/12/2007, 11:49 AM
Just got a text off a mate in rte saying big news @1 o clock
Thats usually the way it works alright

Tis-smeee
21/12/2007, 11:50 AM
Funny men , yeah loi related thats why he text me

GuisaSaigon
21/12/2007, 11:51 AM
:confused: radio:confused:tv:confused: any clues what it's about?

Tis-smeee
21/12/2007, 11:55 AM
Na he was workin just said to watch it , not long to wait anyhooooo

Dodge
21/12/2007, 11:56 AM
http://www.rte.ie/live/

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 11:57 AM
nothing in the headlines so I guess it's not earth shattering

eamoss
21/12/2007, 11:58 AM
RTÉ Sport have won a four-year contract extension (2010-2014) for television, radio and online broadcasting rights with the Football Association of Ireland.

This contract extension guarantees RTÉ Television and Radio live coverage of all of the Republic of Ireland home internationals in the European and World Cup qualification rounds, up to and including World Cup 2014 in Brazil; and RTÉ.ie live simultaneous webcasting of these games.

In addition, RTÉ Television will have deferred access to all of the Republic of Ireland’s home friendly internationals within the contract period, while RTÉ Radio will broadcast these matches live.

RTÉ Sport’s commitment to the eircom League of Ireland will dramatically increase. From next season, RTÉ Television will broadcast a weekly one-hour highlights programme featuring reports and analysis of that week’s action in the eircom League of Ireland. RTÉ Television’s coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches will also grow over the term of the contract, culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term – the 2013 season.

RTÉ Radio will continue to broadcast live its popular eircom League of Ireland show on Friday nights throughout the duration of the contract, with other key RTÉ Radio programmes: Drivetime with Des and Saturday Sport, for example, continuing to offer high-quality coverage of the National League. In a brand new departure, RTÉ.ie will offer Irish soccer fans abroad the chance to watch eircom League of Ireland games in full on a deferred basis.

RTÉ Group Head of Sport, Glen Killane, said: “This contract win is testament to the quality of RTÉ Sport coverage of Irish soccer in the past, and our commitment to continue to serve, to the best of our ability, the legion of Irish soccer fans in this country in the future. It is a reflection of the calibre of our commentators, our contributors, and our editorial staff behind the scenes across RTÉ Television, Radio and RTÉ.ie. No other organisation can deliver these games to as wide an audience across such a variety of platforms. We are delighted to be bringing this wealth of Irish soccer coverage to fans leading up to and including the World Cup itself in Brazil in 2014, and supporting, to an ever-greater degree, the grass roots of Irish football – in the Eircom League itself.”

John Delaney, Chief Executive, FAI, said: “This is a ground-breaking deal for the Eircom League of Ireland and will bring its profile to a new level with the introduction of a weekly one-hour prime-time highlights programme. The commitment to increase the number of live games to one per week during the course of the deal is another tremendous boost for the League.”
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2740

gustavo
21/12/2007, 11:59 AM
great news :)

GuisaSaigon
21/12/2007, 12:00 PM
No more Trevor Welch ! WooHoo!

GavinZac
21/12/2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2740

"culminating in 33 live games to be shown, one per week, in the final year of the deal"

Thats fantastic.

Ideally, it'd be happening a bit sooner than 5 seasons away, but fantastic.

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:02 PM
Thats the best Crimbo pressie football in this country could have wished for
feckin' brilliant

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:03 PM
"culminating in 33 live games to be shown, one per week, in the final year of the deal"

Thats fantastic.

Ideally, it'd be happening a bit sooner than 5 seasons away, but fantastic.

32 live league games were shown this year (by 3 stations)

Tis-smeee
21/12/2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah fantastic news hopefully they can poach Osam lol, pity the blues arent there to enjoy the boom

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:05 PM
RTÉ Group Head of Sport, Glen Killane, said: “This contract win is testament to the quality of RTÉ Sport coverage of Irish soccer in the past,

is he for real ?

GavinZac
21/12/2007, 12:06 PM
32 live league games were shown this year (by 3 stations)
this is one station, plus FAI games, plus setanta games, plus european games, plus whatever the other stations show.

Tis-smeee
21/12/2007, 12:09 PM
You cant please all the people all the time gavin, pat on the back fai.

mypost
21/12/2007, 12:10 PM
RTÉ Television’s coverage of live eircom League of Ireland matches will also grow over the term of the contract, culminating with 33 live matches (one-per-week) in the final year of the term – the 2013 season.

It seems like every year, there's a new contract signed.

33 live games?? On current estimates, it's likely we'll be playing a 36-game season by the time the final year comes round.

But sure, it'll all be re-written next year - probably. :rolleyes:

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:10 PM
this is one station, plus FAI games, plus setanta games, plus european games, plus whatever the other stations show.

Oh I agree its far better. I'm just saying that this year we had 32 league games live on TV. In no way was I complaining about this deal

The one hour primetime highlights show alone makes this fantastic news

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:14 PM
Oh I agree its far better. I'm just saying that this year we had 32 league games live on TV. In no way was I complaining about this deal

The one hour primetime highlights show alone makes this fantastic news

Didn't say Primetime slot on the news, hope to feck it's not dumped in the old EL weekly time slot

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Press release says primetime...

for reference here's last years live TV coverage

League FAI Cup Setanta LC Euro Friend Total
RTE 2 9 3 - - 2 - 14
Setanta 14 - 10 1 0 4 29
TG4 10 4 - - - 3 17

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=79407

passinginterest
21/12/2007, 12:16 PM
So when would we like to see the highlights show broadcast?
Maybe on a Saturday straight after the Premiership? Or before it?
Or a Sunday evening when there's never anything else on anyway?
Midweek?
Hopefully it'll be given a prime time slot anyway.

GavinZac
21/12/2007, 12:18 PM
It seems like every year, there's a new contract signed.

33 live games?? On current estimates, it's likely we'll be playing a 36-game season by the time the final year comes round.

But sure, it'll all be re-written next year - probably. :rolleyes:

I'd imagine the 36 game season will be played over 33 weeks.

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:18 PM
Sunday is a good option as like you said never anything on
Saturday as an integrated show with the premiership to grab the barstoolers could work too

ifk101
21/12/2007, 12:19 PM
..... "In a brand new departure, RTÉ.ie will offer Irish soccer fans abroad the chance to watch eircom League of Ireland games in full on a deferred basis" .......

I've been able to watch matches live via rte.ie. I hope this statement doesn't mean that matches will only be available to me on a deferred basis.

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:19 PM
Monday is grand for the highlights. DO NOT have it near the premiership. It looks awful comapred to that

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:22 PM
Monday is grand for the highlights. DO NOT have it near the premiership. It looks awful comapred to that

Yeah, suppose it does look awful compared to the premiersh!t, which get's me to thinking, wonder what kind of camera set up RTE will utilize, hope its not the TV3 idea of send us your home movies.

niallsparky
21/12/2007, 12:30 PM
No more Trevor Welch ! WooHoo!

Apparantly TV3 are looking into hosting a Thursday Night EL Preview show.

A face
21/12/2007, 12:31 PM
With a game a week they should really try and play the televised game when other teams are not playing, its fairly all over the place at the moment.

Great news though .... They would nearly be like a real National Broadcaster if this happens.

niallsparky
21/12/2007, 12:32 PM
Didn't say Primetime slot on the news, hope to feck it's not dumped in the old EL weekly time slot

John Delaney quotes: "weekly one-hour prime-time highlights programme."

A face
21/12/2007, 12:32 PM
Apparantly TV3 are looking into hosting a Thursday Night EL Preview show.

At 2.00am on Friday morning or something stupid like that no doubt :rolleyes:

jebus
21/12/2007, 12:33 PM
Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday are the only days a highlight show will work on. Friday and Saturday can't be touched due to a lot of us being at games and not at home to watch it, Monday is comedy night on RTE2, and Thursday is a graveyard. My pick would be on Sunday, but the GAA will no doubt object to that as that is traditionally their night during the summer.

niallsparky
21/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday are the only days a highlight show will work on. Friday and Saturday can't be touched due to a lot of us being at games and not at home to watch it, Monday is comedy night on RTE2, and Thursday is a graveyard. My pick would be on Sunday, but the GAA will no doubt object to that as that is traditionally their night during the summer.

The GAA may soon be going to TV3 but nothing is for certain yet.

passinginterest
21/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Tuesday and Wednesday clash with Champions League, Sunday clashes with GAA, Saturday clashes with Premiership, Friday night is match night, so I guess that leaves Monday or Thursday.

jebus
21/12/2007, 12:40 PM
Tuesday and Wednesday clash with Champions League, Sunday clashes with GAA, Saturday clashes with Premiership, Friday night is match night, so I guess that leaves Monday or Thursday.

Thursday is our winner so, can't see RTE wanting to break up their successful comedy night. Although putting it on at 8pm on Monday would work treat.....

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:40 PM
The GAA may soon be going to TV3 but nothing is for certain yet.

Bits of it are. The main stuff will still be on RTE2

If we get a Preview show on TV3 on Thursday night and a highlights show at 8pm on monday night we'll be doing very well. I just hope tg4 and Setanta are still on board. I did notice that the word exclusive wasn't used once for the LOI stuff

higgins
21/12/2007, 12:41 PM
Monday is the night!
If you leave it any later then nobody really cares about a highlights show as you have the next weeks games on your mind.

Sunday night would be great but can't see it happening.

Block G Raptor
21/12/2007, 12:42 PM
It'd clash with Eastenders on monday Mrs raptor would never let me watch it on the big telly:mad:

On 2nd thoughts Mini raptor2 is due around the start of the season so she'll be getting him down around that time... cool

Danny
21/12/2007, 12:42 PM
8 on a monday would be class,
used to be when the nfl and italian football were show on rte2

Réiteoir
21/12/2007, 12:44 PM
Just come back from being bought a pub lunch at work - to see this magnificence.

Absolutely brilliant news - especially for those outside the country.

Now - a simple message to TG4 and Setanta:

MATCH IT

Maroon 7
21/12/2007, 12:45 PM
Monday evening is probably best. Definitely won't be Sunday as that's a GAA day all Summer long. Leaving it until later in the week would be too long after the games.

holidaysong
21/12/2007, 12:48 PM
Great news. Hopefully it won't be a Thursday - that's Oriel night. :)

jebus
21/12/2007, 12:49 PM
Just come back from being bought a pub lunch at work - to see this magnificence.

Absolutely brilliant news - especially for those outside the country.

Now - a simple message to TG4 and Setanta:

MATCH IT

Let's all point and laugh at the lightweight!! :)

mypost
21/12/2007, 12:50 PM
Hoped Setanta would get it, as they are by far the best broadcasters around for our games. RTE will show a live game and highlights once a week and not market it, whereas it would be shown numerous times and marketed well by Setanta, especially during the summer with no other football leagues on. :(

DmanDmythDledge
21/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Great news. Sunday at 8pm would be a good time- after the live Premiership has ended and before the Sunday Game has started.

Hoped Setanta would get it, as they are by far the best broadcasters around for our games. RTE will show a live game and highlights once a week and not market it, whereas it would be shown numerous times and marketed well by Setanta. :(
Now that Setanta have got what they wanted in Premiership rights I doubt they would be too bothered about Irish football.

mypost
21/12/2007, 12:55 PM
Now that Setanta have got what they wanted in Premiership rights I doubt they would be too bothered about Irish football.

No EPL/other football in summer for them, perfect time to concentrate on the LOI.

Dodge
21/12/2007, 12:56 PM
RTE, when they bother, are eaasily the best sports broadcaster in Ireland. I'd say Setanta will still be involved. They have a lot of airtime during the summer they need filling

niallsparky
21/12/2007, 12:56 PM
I know that there are a lot of FAI haters on here but they must be given credit on this. I reckon they put a good deal of pressure on RTÉ for this as I'm unsure if it's in RTÉ's benefit, at least not in the short term. Something along the lines of blocking the coverage of home internationals with an Eircom League package must have been decided on. So congratulations for the FAI on this one.

MyTown
21/12/2007, 12:59 PM
I thought I heard the Highlights package was to be between 7 - 9 - probably Network 2.

I shouldn't be too surprised at some of the negative reaction here, but I say fair play to Delaney, fair play to RTE.

Delaney pointed out, as he often does, that soccer is the biggest participation sport in the country & now it's great that the national broadcaster is promoting the national league.

I hope it goes well for all concerned.

And as for all the begrudery..........well Happy Christmas.