PDA

View Full Version : Best fans

drummer boy
04/06/2003, 6:15 PM
who would be the best home fans so far this year. id give best home fans to derry and best away fans to rovers although they caused trouble they still got behind their team. well that in flancare. cork were fairly good in flancare.

tiktok
04/06/2003, 7:11 PM
always have time for the derry fans, they brought loads with them for the cup game at the cross last year (as usual) and were excellent right the way through.

Soko
04/06/2003, 7:18 PM
It might sound ridiculous but for numbers and noise, Rovers are always the best who come to the Cross. Unfortunatley that is where the praise ends.

drummer boy
04/06/2003, 7:29 PM
have to agree derry fans are a credit to northern ireland. they always bring drink into flancare and never cause one bit of trouble. they would be probably be a bit noisier in flancare because of the long journey to cork. any time they come to longford the town fans just stare at them. theyre mad!!!!!!!

Éanna
04/06/2003, 9:05 PM
derry fans are great. Harps, Galway and Longford are up there too, and limerick and UCd fans get special mention for their dedication. Worst have to be shels in my book- they're sneering, arrogant know-it-alls, just like everyone else at their club :)

drummer boy
04/06/2003, 9:23 PM
totally agree but ucd have no vocal support apart from 4 or 5. i hate shels but they have got a few more vocal supporters in this year but there all young scum. Longford have excellent away support but our home support isnt the greatest but can be good at times. but truthfully whos is. apart from cork?

MariborKev
04/06/2003, 9:28 PM
If you think our away support is noise at home we are ten times noisier

pineapple stu
04/06/2003, 10:08 PM
There's an easy divide for best/worst fans - best fans are country fans; worst fans are Dublin fans (except Shels, who we've always gotten on with, and us of course!:D ).

Don't know why that works, but it does.

gspain
05/06/2003, 8:58 AM
Derry for me too. Great support.

James
05/06/2003, 9:52 AM
Originally posted by Maribor
If you think our away support is noise at home we are ten times noisier

last 2 derry V cork city matches ye werent that noisey.. bar the last few mins on the recent match where ye beat us 1-0..derry fans only sing when they winning :D ..

*or dancing round the place in JC's house ;)

tiktok
05/06/2003, 10:40 PM
in fairness, the cup game last year ythey were magnificent, put us to shame. hearing them sing 'teenage kicks' always puts a smile on my face too.:)

cfcgirl
06/06/2003, 12:09 AM
derry fans always come to the cross in numbers and are allways good vocally. sham fans makes for a great athmosphere at the cross and this season credit must go to waterford good support and very well behaved

martinho
06/06/2003, 11:25 AM
Derry City and Shamrock Rovers the best of atmosphere. Division One -definitelt the Mr Men Brigade(The Harps!)

niamh
06/06/2003, 11:26 AM
I'm thinking de Derry boys as well, in general the best away support though.
Home: for the best attendences in the league...City :D

Dodge
06/06/2003, 11:39 AM
Best attendances mean nothing when wee talk about quality of support. In terms of colour Pats and Rovers are miles ahead of the rest. Check the pics below

Rovers game (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.maguire4/pop_up_pix/rovers.html)
Shels game (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.maguire4/pop_up_pix/Shels_fansdisplay12.html)
Bohs game (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.maguire4/pop_up_pix/BoezSum.html) Cork game (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l.maguire4/pop_up_pix/cork_fansdisplay03.html)

For more like this (including previous seasons) visit The SEI website (http://www.thesei.tk)

drummer boy
06/06/2003, 11:57 AM
its good to see supporters put in the effort with the flags ans flares etc. but ye dont have the greatest vocal support. i also noticed that they are all grudge matches ye never have any of those flags for town matches. i like your che guevara flag though.
best vocal home is cork derry and rovers and best away is derry and rovers and i have to say town arent far behind. thought waterford were also good.

Dodge
06/06/2003, 12:16 PM
Nah we just don't care about Longford. :) Non stop singing in every game bar that (it took us a while to get going v Derry too) including a 36 minute non stop Red Army chant v UCD (and yeah one of the lads timed it....). We usually do our singing on the Camac or in the shed and both of them have rubbish acoustics unlike the stand which echoes out the sound (which explains why some fans can here more than others in Richmond)

Derry brought about 12 fans to Inchicore and were fairly quiet (apart from the odd drum inspired WOooooooooooooo). Longford were very quiet. Drogheda brought decent numbers and sang for the first half (until we scored four in the second...) Bohs were OK, Rovers good, Shels' kids tried very hard (huge improvement on past years) Waterford had a small number but made decent noise (in Waterford our singing crowd was split...) I thought Cork were very quiet in turners Cross. UCD didn't even have their usual Bodhran

drummer boy
06/06/2003, 9:12 PM
are you well there was a great singing support from longford when we were in inchore there was 250 to 300 town supporters we completely out sang ye.

Bosco
06/06/2003, 9:59 PM
Inchicore wasn't great.Our fans wer pretty queit cos there wer a few pats fans(as always sittin around us).Thats why I think nxt time in Richmond we should(if our fans are a bit spread out) head to the shed or werever d pats fans aren't and then at half time let the pats fans in the shed and we'l head to wer they wer

southside bohs
07/06/2003, 12:56 AM
derry fans have to be the best because they are mad and loud they just do not give a fcuk.pats are good for colour and been friendly,rovers are good but take it too far,galway united are very vocal as well.

Cork needs to stop singing anti-dublin songs and start singing about their club

patsh
08/06/2003, 7:21 PM
Pats fans were very poor I thought on Friday night. With the exception of the "Dolan whats the score" chant ye were well outsung by the Cork lads.
Good crowd though, and where were the Pat's big flags?

wws
08/06/2003, 9:08 PM
like bohs or shamrock rovers

we only brought them to cork cause it was our first game with new boss Eamonn Collins

next week against shamrocks will be the real pats fans on the display

Dodge
09/06/2003, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by drummer boy
are you well there was a great singing support from longford when we were in inchore there was 250 to 300 town supporters we completely out sang ye.
Seriously, do you believe that? At singing when you get a last minute equaliser doesn't count...

Dodge
09/06/2003, 9:26 AM
Originally posted by wws
like bohs or shamrock rovers

we only brought them to cork cause it was our first game with new boss Eamonn Collins

What wws meant to say was that we don't go full on for every game as we don't wanna get boring. Well that and it takes about an hour to set up and then another 30-40 minutes to take down...

Cork really isn't a class A match for us so they only get some of the smaller flags.

patsh
09/06/2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by wws/Dodge
What wws meant to say was that we don't go full on for every game as we don't wanna get boring. Well that and it takes about an hour to set up and then another 30-40 minutes to take down...

Cork really isn't a class A match for us so they only get some of the smaller flags.
So the REAL Pats Fans were not there on Friday ??:confused:
Surely you are there to support your team, does it matter who the opposition is?
Don't your team deserve "full on" support at all games?
:confused:

Macy
09/06/2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by patsh
So the REAL Pats Fans were not there on Friday ??:confused:
Surely you are there to support your team, does it matter who the opposition is?
Don't your team deserve "full on" support at all games?
:confused:
I think its obvious enough he means displays, not support... There is a difference...

wws
09/06/2003, 11:15 AM
ehm mixing up points here as I was responding to different posts and different points in my post in this thread

basically Pats fans ARE very poor in home matches against non-dublin teams - that is very true, its a justifiable criticism and I accept it

on the other side of the coin the point that some of the posters above are missing is that derby games are a different kettle of fish to ordinary games as any football fan the world over will tell you

I dont think you lot would really appreciate just how noisy and colorful a game against Shamrocks, Bohs or Shels normally are for pats fans, when you say you came to richer as cork or longford and outsung the pathetic home support that may be true but dont kid yourselves that your efforts were anywhere near the bare minimum amount of passion at a typical derby match

this friday against shamrock I can safely tell you will be the League of Ireland event of the year with two sets of vociferous supporters, both with the only organised tifo sections and terrace co-ordination groups in the league - it will be colorful and it will be noisy....and even though its not great to admit games against longford or cork or whatever just arent in the same ball park....its a completely different event

Dodge
09/06/2003, 3:00 PM
Originally posted by Macy
I think its obvious enough he means displays, not support... There is a difference...
Cheers Macy. You see thats a big point here. Some people here haven't a clue what ourselves (SEI) and the Ultras (apart from their casual mates) are about. Its about proper colour involving a large amount of fans and not just 2 or 3 big flags.

Apart from the 8 waveys we have 6 huge professionally made banners, 60+ smaller special designed flags and numerous other pieces of regalia. When you add in the SEI scarves, drums, flares, smokes etc it all adds up to a helluva lot of work. For the upcoming Rovers game, the SEI will have about 100 people involved in our displays. After the recent Bohs game (where not everything was used) there were 6 of us in Richmond Park at about 10.15 putting stuff away.

So when I say full on, I don't mean lack of effort during the match, I mean we can't be arsed spending the bones of 4 hours in Richmond Park for every match. We'll still sing, we'll still be heartbroken if we lose, we just won't have to clean up after ourselves.

patsh
09/06/2003, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Cheers Macy. You see thats a big point here. Some people here haven't a clue what ourselves (SEI) and the Ultras (apart from their casual mates) are about.
So when I say full on, I don't mean lack of effort during the match, I mean we can't be arsed spending the bones of 4 hours in Richmond Park for every match.
Relax man, read your post again, and it's easy enough to take the meaning I did out of it.
I'm not having a go at you.

Dodge
09/06/2003, 4:00 PM
I know and I wasn't having a go at you (although yeah I can see where you could get that...) but thought I'd spout out a little...

d13bohs
10/06/2003, 5:22 PM
Derry would have to be the best all right, particularly the lads who stayed in the marquee all night after our end of season title winning party, vaguely remember talking to at least one (might have been seeing double or treble by that stage though!)

gspain
11/06/2003, 9:35 AM
Great support from all LoI fans on the North Terrace on saturday.

Jaime
16/06/2003, 1:03 PM
I'd say it would have to be Rovers, for both best and worst. :eek: