PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Sanchez

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Donadoni
21/12/2007, 10:48 AM
He wouldn't be my first choice as new Irish Manager, but I've just read that Lawrie Sanchez has been dismissed from Fulham. What I'm wondering is will the FAI Trinity be contacting him? Do they even know he's been dismissed? I've been chatting with employment agencies round Dublin this week so I know that for every regular job it's headhunting as usual, week before Christmas or not. Why do I get the impression that the FAI are already closed for business.

By the way my first choice has always been Roy Hodgson. Love the way Inter have snapped him up in a hurry, not even for a managerial role. Early bird. Paul Doyle writes in the Guardian, "....and Roy Hodgson isn't being considered because he has a proven track record of improving theresults of small countries."

Merry Christmas All

GavinZac
21/12/2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry, Sanchez is coming to Cork. :D

Stuttgart88
21/12/2007, 11:06 AM
Paul Doyle writes in the Guardian, "....and Roy Hodgson isn't being considered because he has a proven track record of improving theresults of small countries."Heavy dose of sarcasm there.

Worth a new thread?

Curtains
21/12/2007, 11:12 AM
Just been sacked. Organisational skills we need. Could be worse? Be a laugh if anything!! ;)

Curtains
21/12/2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry i started another thread on this, should have read this first. The FAI dont seem to want to contact anyone if the stories are to be believed. And anyway if hodgson isnt man enough to apply for the job or even show interest in it then i dont want him, hes full of himself and full of ****!!

Dr. Ogba
21/12/2007, 11:22 AM
no thanks

Wolfie
21/12/2007, 11:24 AM
No thanks. Beggars say No!!!

Noelys Guitar
21/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Beat Italy. Get beaten at home 5-2 by Macedonia. And then when we don't quaify the FAI will hold a celebration down at the mansion house celebrating our "Great Victory" over Italy. Errr No.

pete
21/12/2007, 1:11 PM
He was 40/1 yesterday. Now 12/1

NeilMcD
21/12/2007, 1:14 PM
Would not have him as Ireland manager. No way

mypost
21/12/2007, 4:04 PM
Lawrie Sanchez?? Another "desperately seeking club" boss.

No thank you.

Martin Jol anyone?? :confused:

CollegeTillIDie
21/12/2007, 9:54 PM
Lawrie Sanchez has a better track record at international level than at club level.
All in all a bad week for ex-Sligo Rovers bosses :D

waide
22/12/2007, 11:09 AM
I was hoping ni would approach him as soon as he was sacked,but they still seem to be going down the worthington road unfortunately.Lawrie would be a good signing for the republic and withiut being sarcastic has as good a record as any international manager who works with limted resources.

CollegeTillIDie
22/12/2007, 11:33 AM
I was hoping ni would approach him as soon as he was sacked,but they still seem to be going down the worthington road unfortunately.Lawrie would be a good signing for the republic and withiut being sarcastic has as good a record as any international manager who works with limted resources.

waide
No offence taken. I think your international team is in better shape than ours currently and long may the improved form continue for the wee North. What we down here need to do is match your efforts!

CollegeTillIDie
22/12/2007, 11:35 AM
Sorry, Sanchez is coming to Cork. :D

Well to be fair Cork qualify for Europe more often than Fulham or any of the bottom 12 in the English Premier League :D

eirebhoy
22/12/2007, 12:11 PM
This is not the time to be appointing a manager with a good record of working with "limited resources". Garvan, Ireland, McGeady, Stokes, Gibson, McCarthy, etc. coming through are a lot more continental in style rather than British. They're all very technically gifted players and most of them natural playmakers. You want a manager that'll play to their strengths which is a good passing game.

NeilMcD
22/12/2007, 2:39 PM
Totally agree Eirebhoy you have hit the nail on the head, that is why I believe Hodgson is the man for the job.

GavinZac
22/12/2007, 2:41 PM
This is not the time to be appointing a manager with a good record of working with "limited resources". Garvan, Ireland, McGeady, Stokes, Gibson, McCarthy, etc. coming through are a lot more continental in style rather than British. They're all very technically gifted players and most of them natural playmakers. You want a manager that'll play to their strengths which is a good passing game.

stokes is continental, in that he's about as useful as a croissant.

eirebhoy
22/12/2007, 3:35 PM
stokes is continental, in that he's about as useful as a croissant.
Aye in a Sunderland team with a bunch of players who don't seem to know what a through ball is.

stojkovic
22/12/2007, 3:43 PM
Another sacked/unemployed manager. Why not ?

kennedmc
22/12/2007, 4:43 PM

Bit of a bizzare statement IMO......
You'd swear we had a squad comparable to Spain, France etc.

McGeady and Ireland are excellent young players who have perfomed at a hghh level. Ireland has 1st calls technique but McGeady is more skill than technique......

THe others are have not achieved anything yet as yet and are playing at a fairly low level. Stokes has done absolutely nothing in the PL and he lacks pace and movement to lead the line.

McCarthy is only 17 and its unfair to put too much pressure on him.

Gibson and Garvan - there is no guarantees that these two will make it at the highest level.

kennedmc
22/12/2007, 4:47 PM
Aye in a Sunderland team with a bunch of players who don't seem to know what a through ball is.

His scoring record for Arsenal resevers was pretty poor (when he did play upfront) - and they do know how to play.

If you look through the record of the Scottishl league over the last 20 years that scored goals in the SPL and did **** all elsewhere

eirebhoy
22/12/2007, 5:12 PM
His scoring record for Arsenal resevers was pretty poor (when he did play upfront) - and they do know how to play.
from October 2004:
"A natural finisher, Anthony excelled last year, making three reserve team appearances and scoring four times from eight Under-19 appearances - all as a 15 year-old.

He scored 12 goals from 17 Under-17 outings, and netted four from two FA Youth Cup games.

The young Irishman has trained with the first team on several occasions."

March 2005:
"Stokes' 7th goal for the reserves this season. Pretty good considering he has only started 10 or 11 games and played in midfield in his last 5 or so matches."

He rarely played up front after that.

If you look through the record of the Scottishl league over the last 20 years that scored goals in the SPL and did **** all elsewhere
Larsson - Proven everywhere.
Hartson - 24 goals in a season with West Ham.
Viduka - scored 22 for Leeds after leaving Celtic.
Negri - scored 15 Serie A goals the season before joining Rangers.
Cadete - scored 25 goals for Sporting in a season in Portugal before joining Celtic.
Van Hooijdonk - scored 34 for Forest the season after leaving Celtic and also 22 in the Dutch league after that.
Boyd - Hasn't played outside Scotland. 7 goals in 13 for Scotland.
Riordan - Hasn't played outside of Scotland.

Anyone else?

kennedmc
22/12/2007, 5:44 PM
from October 2004:
"A natural finisher, Anthony excelled last year, making three reserve team appearances and scoring four times from eight Under-19 appearances - all as a 15 year-old.

He scored 12 goals from 17 Under-17 outings, and netted four from two FA Youth Cup games.

The young Irishman has trained with the first team on several occasions."

March 2005:
"Stokes' 7th goal for the reserves this season. Pretty good considering he has only started 10 or 11 games and played in midfield in his last 5 or so matches."

He rarely played up front after that.

Larsson - Proven everywhere.
Hartson - 24 goals in a season with West Ham.
Viduka - scored 22 for Leeds after leaving Celtic.
Negri - scored 15 Serie A goals the season before joining Rangers.
Cadete - scored 25 goals for Sporting in a season in Portugal before joining Celtic.
Van Hooijdonk - scored 34 for Forest the season after leaving Celtic and also 22 in the Dutch league after that.
Boyd - Hasn't played outside Scotland. 7 goals in 13 for Scotland.
Riordan - Hasn't played outside of Scotland.

Anyone else?
I watched Stokes in person for almost 18 months playing for Arsenal reservers.

THose four goals mentioned scored above were in a youth cup tie against wait for it........Crawley Town. Arse won 7-1. Wow - what a legend.

His scoring record for the reservers / youth team overall was pretty poor. There is a reason why they moved him from HIS preferred striking role to a midfilelder bevause they didn't rate him as a striker. THey know there stuff and from I bave seen I tend to agree with them.

My point about the SPL is that many average strikers have done very well there - scoring goals in the SPL doesn't count for much.

I'm not saying that there have been no good strikers in the SPL over the last 20 years. THere's a difference.

eirebhoy
22/12/2007, 5:49 PM
My point about the SPL is that many average strikers have done very well there - scoring goals in the SPL doesn't count for much.

I'm not saying that there have been no good strikers in the SPL over the last 20 years. THere's a difference.
I actually just listed the players that have scored 20 goals in the SPL in the last 12 years. I don't know where to find records for the previous 8 years. ;)

With regards Stokes. I'd rather he joined Celtic for his own good tbh. He'd most likely be playing up front and being coached to improve the attributes that are required to be a top striker. I think it's pretty clear he's a terrible winger.

Anyway, apologies. We're going way off topic here and my main point is we have better than "limited resources".

kennedmc
22/12/2007, 5:55 PM
I'd like to see him succeed aas much as any other young Irish player......= whether it be as a striker or attacking midfilelder......perhaps a spell in the championship or the SPL where he is getting regular 1st team football would make all the difference....

waide
22/12/2007, 6:07 PM
I actually just listed the players that have scored 20 goals in the SPL in the last 12 years. I don't know where to find records for the previous 8 years. ;)

With regards Stokes. I'd rather he joined Celtic for his own good tbh. He'd most likely be playing up front and being coached to improve the attributes that are required to be a top striker. I think it's pretty clear he's a terrible winger.

Anyway, apologies. We're going way off topic here and my main point is we have better than "limited resources".Eirebhoy I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the republic,but you have to look at the calibre of the squad,with the exeption of Shay Given can you name me one irish player that would get into the english team and they did not even qualify for the euros.so when i talk about limited that's where i'm coming from.

eirebhoy
22/12/2007, 7:02 PM
ok fair enough. It's not about which of our players could make the English team though. I could name quite a few Irish players that'd make the Polish team. And the English team would be more suited to Lawrie Sanchez's style of play than the Polish team. It's about playing to our strengths and I'll go mad if James McCarthy and Owen Garvan are coached into typical British players like Steven Gerrard. I'm not saying Steven Gerrard isn't a top class player but there's a reason England aren't at the Euro's. Brainless football.

NeilMcD
22/12/2007, 8:54 PM
Sanchez plays long ball football. We dont have the players for that style of football. Therefore he is not suitable to be our manager.

kingdomkerry
22/12/2007, 9:24 PM
How are players like

Dunne
Finnan
Duff
McGeady
Hunt
Keane
Doyle

limited resources? All top players!

Eirebhoy I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the republic,but you have to look at the calibre of the squad,with the exeption of Shay Given can you name me one irish player that would get into the english team and they did not even qualify for the euros.so when i talk about limited that's where i'm coming from.

bennocelt
23/12/2007, 8:09 AM
Sanchez plays long ball football. We dont have the players for that style of football. Therefore he is not suitable to be our manager.

you obviously havent been paying attention to the last rake of irish games
The usual thing was irish player in defence has ball, panics, passes it back to Shay who boots it up the field, hoping that kilbane will get a head to it. Repeat about a thousand times, and we might get a lucky goal.

I was so happy to see sanchez get the boot, selfish *******., and wouldnt want him near the irish job
(but to be fair he isnt a bad coach)

NeilMcD
23/12/2007, 11:36 AM
I think its the fact that I have been paying attention How have we done using the tactics you say, lost 5-2 to Cyprus away and drew at home and barely beat San Marino. You have just proven my point. I am not saying we have not played it with these players but it does not suit the players we have at the moment or coming through to play long ball football.

Thanks again for proving my point.

waide
23/12/2007, 12:29 PM
How are players like

Dunne
Finnan
Duff
McGeady
Hunt
Keane
Doyle

limited resources? All top players!

These players are average premiership players, not top of the range internationals.

Noelys Guitar
23/12/2007, 12:55 PM
These players are average premiership players, not top of the range internationals.

I give those "wee tinted" specs a wipe.

eirebhoy
23/12/2007, 1:02 PM
In fairness though, I think Hunt would fall into the "limited" category. :)

Noelys Guitar
23/12/2007, 1:07 PM
In fairness though, I think Hunt would fall into the "limited" category. :)

Hunt is a hugely under-rated player. Will be playing for Everton come Feb.

micls
23/12/2007, 1:52 PM
I give those "wee tinted" specs a wipe.

I was thinking the same...except for kingdom kerry.

You honestly believe we have 7 top of the range internationals in our team :eek:
...and yet can barely beat San Marino and can't beat Cyprus

micls
23/12/2007, 1:53 PM
Hunt is a hugely under-rated player. Will be playing for Everton come Feb.

And? That certainly does not make him a top quality international. He is a lad with limited ability but plenty of energy and heart.

He will never be a top quality player

Noelys Guitar
23/12/2007, 2:26 PM
I was thinking the same...except for kingdom kerry.

You honestly believe we have 7 top of the range internationals in our team :eek:
...and yet can barely beat San Marino and can't beat Cyprus

Yes I do. Not of Brazilian quality. But good enough to qualify and get to the finals of a Euro championship or World Cup. I heard all this negative stuff before Charlton took over. No World class players other than Brady. Turned out to be nonsense once a manager who knew what he was doing took over.

micls
23/12/2007, 2:45 PM
Yes I do. Not of Brazilian quality. But good enough to qualify and get to the finals of a Euro championship or World Cup. I heard all this negative stuff before Charlton took over. No World class players other than Brady.

But the question wasnt do we have 7 players good enough to take us to a major championship.

Waide(rightly imo) made the claim that the 7 players named were ' average premiership players, not top of the range internationals'.

You told him take off the tinted glasses.

Thats what i'm challenging. I see nothing wrong with his claim(although Id argue 2 would be above average). Thats not to say 7 average premiership players cant get us to a major championship with the right management.

Turned out to be nonsense once a manager who knew what he was doing took over.

I dont see how it was nonsense. What other player was world class? You dont need world class players to qualify or even do reasonably well in a tournament.

You need stability in the team, a manager who knows what he's doing and a bit of quality aswell as luck.

osarusan
23/12/2007, 3:03 PM
Yes I do. Not of Brazilian quality. But good enough to qualify and get to the finals of a Euro championship or World Cup. I heard all this negative stuff before Charlton took over. No World class players other than Brady. Turned out to be nonsense once a manager who knew what he was doing took over.

First emboldened line - A team like Poland have qualified without any players I'd consider to be "top of the range" internationals. Qualification alone doesn't mean the players must be top class.

second emboldened line - A managers job is to get the best out of his players - even if they are not top of the range. A good manager getting the best out of the above players doesn't necessarily mean they are top of the line, it could just as easily mean the manager is top of the range.

I'd say the Irish team is a moderately talented team, which is quite good on the rare and inconsistent occasions when the team plays as a team.

eirebhoy
23/12/2007, 3:19 PM
Waide(rightly imo) made the claim that the 7 players named were ' average premiership players, not top of the range internationals'.

Given is above premiership average. Finnan too. Dunne as well, Jamie Carragher level imo. And Keane would be above average too. Spurs have one of the best strike forces in the premiership. Duff couldn't claim to be above average these days though. Anyway, 4 top players, a few very good players and a lot of potential.

tetsujin1979
23/12/2007, 3:33 PM
Would Fulham be an appealing position to any of the managers we've been linked with? Hodgson, Souness, Venables, etc?

osarusan
23/12/2007, 3:35 PM
Given is above premiership average.Given wasn't one of the players mentioned. I fully agree he is top class, world class even, but there were 7 other players mentioned.

From those 7, I'd say only Keane and Finnan are definitely above premiership average, with a few others debatable. Their(the 7) international form, which is the point here, is another question.

eirebhoy
23/12/2007, 4:01 PM
Dunne again this season is doing well in the bonus points in the fantasy football. He got more than any defender last season and this season only Laursen is ahead of him.

He's been rated one of the best 3 players on the pitch (by an ex-pro) against:
Man Utd, Arsenal, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Reading, Tottenham and Blackburn.

That's almost half of City's games. He consisently dominates games and rarely does much wrong these days. Surely better than most premiership centre halves?

micls
24/12/2007, 1:01 AM
Given is above premiership average.
I agree. But he wasnt mentioned.

Finnan too. Dunne as well, Jamie Carragher level imo.
Those are the 2 who I said I would argue were above average. Still doesnt equate to top class internationally though.

And Keane would be above average too.
Potentially, yes. For Ireland, not a lot of the time imo.

Anyway, 4 top players, a few very good players and a lot of potential.

I'd say 2 top players, 2 above average a couple very good and a lot of potential.

A far cry from 7topclass players though.

CollegeTillIDie
24/12/2007, 7:30 AM
On the subject of World Class Players may I remind people of a section of a chant sung at Euro 88 '' Dance dance wherever you may be, We lost Mark Lawrenson and Liam Brady, but we don't care and we don't give a f*c* cause we beat the Brits in the Nations Cup''.

Can you imagine how well we would have done at Euro 88 with those two?
No World Class players before Charlton took over? What about Ooh Aah Paul McGrath?
Arguably Ireland's best ever player...( and yes Keane fans he's better than Roy he was class in 3 different positions)

Currently we have Shay Given and em em em em em nobody really!

Paddy Garcia
24/12/2007, 8:12 AM
No World Class players before Charlton took over? What about Ooh Aah Paul McGrath?

Currently we have Shay Given and em em em em em nobody really!

I agree, surprised at the comment that we had none before Jack. O'Leary, Brady, Lawrenson, McGrath, Moran and Whelan were world class.

And the likes of Stapleton, Beglin, Sheedy and Hughton were no slouches either.

All these players were sought after by top teams, they picked up European trophys in most cases. Very unlike today (save Finnan).

youngirish
24/12/2007, 12:07 PM
I think Waide in fairness is wearing some slightly orange tinted glasses. Finnan, Keane or a fit Duff are in no way average Premiership players. They are all some of the best players in their respective positions in the Premiership. The term average Premiership player could correctly be applied to the likes of David Healy, Stephen Hunt and John O' Shea. I'd even make the claim that Doyle is better than the average Premiership player and would consider him a good Premiership player but we can agree to disagree on this one as it's a matter of opinion. Finnan, Keane or Duff are not average players by any stretch however.

eekers
24/12/2007, 12:47 PM
whats any of this got to do with sanchez?