PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen tonight

Cymro
21/12/2007, 3:10 AM
Absolutely brilliant. Well pleased for them, good to see a Scottish side besides Rangers/Celtic doing well in Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7151528.stm

CollegeTillIDie
21/12/2007, 7:45 AM
It's good for the coefficient that they did well in the UEFA this season. Makes it easier for some other club next season.

ifk101
21/12/2007, 8:47 AM
Yeah good win for them. FCK are a very decent side, easily the best team in Scandinavia, so to beat them 4-0 is quite a scalp for Aberdeen.

eirebhoy
21/12/2007, 9:23 AM
I watched the 2nd half. Copenhagen still have all the players that beat Celtic and Man Utd last season bar 2. Their defence was absolutely terrible and Aberdeen destroyed them. Smith should have had a hattrick when he missed the easiest chance of the night and Aberdeen should also have had a peno at 3-0.

I don't actually rate Aberdeen highly so I couldn't believe the outcome.

eirebhoy
21/12/2007, 11:10 AM
A nice money spinner for them against Bayern in the next round.

EAFC_rdfl
21/12/2007, 11:14 AM
great draw for them
couldnt believe the result from last night!! Celtic get Barca, Rangers get panathaniokos thats some difference!!

cheifo
24/12/2007, 1:45 AM
From what little I know of them Aberdeen supporters seem to be a fanatical lot.Anybody know why Hearts(fans) hate them so much?

Junior
27/12/2007, 10:36 AM
Not really heard about a hatred between Hearts and Aberdeen but there is one between Rangers and Aberdeen. Im no expert but it dates back to lates 70s early 80s. A few bad challenges, someone got sent off in a cup final for stamping I think. The key incident though was between an Aberdeen player called Simpson who put Ian Durrant out of the game for 2 years with a bad challenge that he never got cautioned for. Loads of incidents since then both on and off the pitch.

Just look at last Saturdays game which ended 1-1. One sending off for Rangers but there could have been another 1 or 2 from each side shown a red. Its a tasty affair to say the least.

Aberdeen fans regularly sing "we hate rangers more than you" when playing celtic.

EDIT: On a positive side, I think the Aberden fans were the first to start an 'Ultra' type fan group in Scotland, RED Ultras, plenty of good displays on show by there fans

Bottle of Tonic
27/12/2007, 4:37 PM
No real rivalary between aberdeen and hearts. Nothing more than who is the third biggest side in Scotland. More of a rivalry with Hibs(casuals) and a definite hate/hate relationship with Rangers. As far as I know it started in the late 80's with that challenge.

Aberdeen's fans wouldn't be unbelievalbley fanatical. Though they do have a renowned away support, would carry about 3-4000 to a game. Pretty good seeing as they only get 10-12,000 at a regular league game, around 16,000 for celtic and almost sold out for rangers (20,000).

Junior
27/12/2007, 9:52 PM
3-4k away support? Not in my lifetime. Tops 500 turn up at Celtic Park, has been this way for last 15 years anyway.

cheifo
27/12/2007, 10:30 PM
Aparantly they had six thousand in Madrid*

*source: Aberdeen message board;)

CollegeTillIDie
28/12/2007, 7:41 AM
Aberdeen's fanzine The Northern Light is one of the funniest in Scotland.

Junior
28/12/2007, 2:54 PM
Aparantly they had six thousand in Madrid*

*source: Aberdeen message board;)

fair enough, I was just thinking domestically. I can imagine a decent support going to a glamour destination such as Madrid, doesnt happen thast often for Aberdeen these days.

Bottle of Tonic
28/12/2007, 7:54 PM
Pretty sure they would take 3-4k to places like Dundee UTD, Hearts, Hibs. I guess in hindsight they wouldn't to your St Mirrens and Falkirks but as far as I was aware they are known as having the best away support in Scotland outside of Celtic and Rangers. Yeah they will usually only bring 500 ish to those two, dunno why cos they are capable of getting results in Glasgow in recent years.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up with their top level away support as oppossed to their 'normal' figure. B

cheifo
29/12/2007, 10:39 PM
Sorry Lads, was'nt disagreeing.I put wink beside figure source because supporters normally get carried away with their estimations when they take more than expected.Would be interesting to compare support of Aberdeen,Hearts,Hibs if they were successful.I think I remeber reading Hibs got huge request for Cup final tickets the last time they made it to Hampden.