PDA

View Full Version : Albums You're looking forward to in 2008

Pages : [1] 2

Wolfie
20/12/2007, 3:09 PM
Any releases you're looking forward to hearing during 2008?

Supergrass release a new album in March 2008 - "Diamond Hoo-Ha" . Thought "Road to Rouen" was a little below par despite a few good singles. Hoping the new one is a return to form.

Doves are still in the studio working on the new album due for release in 08. Great band who are a bit under-rated.

Oasis Its become fashionable to knock them. Still a big fan and still hopeful they've one great album left in them.

Pauro 76
20/12/2007, 4:21 PM
Any releases you're looking forward to hearing during 2008?

Supergrass release a new album in March 2008 - "Diamond Hoo-Ha" . Thought "Road to Rouen" was a little below par despite a few good singles. Hoping the new one is a return to form.

Doves are still in the studio working on the new album due for release in 08. Great band who are a bit under-rated.

Oasis Its become fashionable to knock them. Still a big fan and still hopeful they've one great album left in them.

Was wondering what happened to Doves. Looking forward to Supergrass must admit, they played recently in London as the Diamond Hoo-Ha band, that could be one to watch. Any sign of that Guns N Roses new album in 2008 then? :D

Neish
20/12/2007, 4:49 PM
Not sure of tittles but looking forward to the following band who are all meant to be releasing albums in 2008

The Cure
Morrissey
Patti Smith
The Prodigy
Eagles of Death Metal
Massive Attack
The Prodigy
Goldfrapp
Spiritualized

The Good Son
20/12/2007, 4:56 PM
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig,Lazarus,Dig!!
Out in March.

Sam_Heggy
20/12/2007, 5:06 PM
Eagles of death metal and hopefully Zepplin bring out a new album and tour europe with Slane or Phoneix Pk one of the destinations. Metallica rumoured to be working on a new album, hopefully Hetfield goes back on the sauce for it and writes the lyrics and music himself. Last few albums not quite as good.

Anyone hear about Rage against the machine reunion to happen in 2008?

Pauro 76
20/12/2007, 5:14 PM
Not sure of tittles but looking forward to the following band who are all meant to be releasing albums in 2008

The Cure
Morrissey
Patti Smith
The Prodigy
Eagles of Death Metal
Massive Attack
The Prodigy
Goldfrapp
Spiritualized

Prodigy releasing a double album then?

Beavis
20/12/2007, 5:55 PM

Not for reasons of fashionability but rather facing reality.
Nearly all people who still cling to Oasis are doing so purely for nostalgia reasons, their judgement clouded by wanting them to ressurect feelings of their more youthful days of the mid-nineties. If any of Oasis' last 4 albums had been a debut it wouldnt have even been a blip on the radar. Face it, they will never release another Definitely Maybe.

jamie m
20/12/2007, 7:03 PM
Eagles of death metal and hopefully Zepplin bring out a new album and tour europe with Slane or Phoneix Pk one of the destinations. Metallica rumoured to be working on a new album, hopefully Hetfield goes back on the sauce for it and writes the lyrics and music himself. Last few albums not quite as good.

Anyone hear about Rage against the machine reunion to happen in 2008?

know rage reunited at coachella festival this year and have been playing u.s dates but havent heard anything about new material or european tour dates, one of the best live bands ever

tetsujin1979
20/12/2007, 8:09 PM
Aren't Green Day due a new album?
Dr Dre's new album has been in the mix for while, I'd like for it to see the light of day

DaveyCakes
20/12/2007, 8:45 PM
Maybe the Sisters of Mercy will release a new album next year..although I've been saying that every year since 1990.

monzo
20/12/2007, 9:14 PM
Black Francis - SVN FNGRS

It's an EP sort of thing though.

gustavo
21/12/2007, 8:06 AM
Coldplay's new one should be good

jebus
21/12/2007, 9:33 AM
Nearly all people who still cling to Oasis are doing so purely for nostalgia reasons, their judgement clouded by wanting them to ressurect feelings of their more youthful days of the mid-nineties. If any of Oasis' last 4 albums had been a debut it wouldnt have even been a blip on the radar. Face it, they will never release another Definitely Maybe.

Don't Believe the Truth was easily a better album then both of Arctic Monkey's albums, both of which have made something of a blip, so I disagree

Wolfie
21/12/2007, 9:45 AM

Clinging to Oasis? They're still a brilliant live band in the here and now - with the power to match anyone on stage.

No point denying that I've very fond memories of the mid nineties and Oasis are the sound track to those days. I wouldn't write them off quite yet though.

If the next one is poor - I'll have to admit defeat.

Admittedly, they've never got near "Definitely Maybe" partly because it was of its time and captured the zeitgiest and partly because it contains some brilliant, classic songs.

I don't expect another Definitely Maybe - but still think they are capable of producing a very good, musically relevant album. If they're arsed.

shakermaker1982
22/12/2007, 5:07 PM
Don't Believe the Truth was easily a better album then both of Arctic Monkey's albums, both of which have made something of a blip, so I disagree

I agree. Don't believe the truth was a very good album. Heathen Chemistry had its moments but the last one was a marked improvement and probably their best since Morning Glory. Gem and Andy Bell have improved the band and are also given Noel some competition so he's had to up his game.

Lionel Ritchie
25/12/2007, 4:48 PM
The 3rd Giveamanakick LP is out in spring as is Half Man Half Biscuits 11th.

I've heard two songs off the latter -"Bad Loser at Yahoo Chess" and "On the 'Roids" and they bode well. 2005s Achtung Bono will be a hard act to follow though.

Haven't heard anything from the GAMAK album yet but, in any guise, Steven Ryan never fails to produce the goods.

Another possibility is a "classic" Sepultura line-up re-union. As both Cavaleras are now out of the line-up it's lost a lot of it's credibility despite the fact they've produced some fine records with Derrick Green who has wronged no-one in all the goings on. I'd prefer to see Green retained and incorporated in the scenario of a move to bring the Cavaleras back into the fold.

CollegeTillIDie
26/12/2007, 9:07 AM
Lionel

Is there a provisional title for HMHB vol. 11?
Music is often very unjust in not recognising talent and ability. One of the reasons why I slightly prefer football. A little more justice in footie. If there was any justice HMHB would have had 50 top 10 UK Hit singles by now.

Dr. Ogba
28/12/2007, 11:45 AM
If the next one is poor - I'll have to admit defeat.

This seems to be the Oasis fan mantra....the next one is bound to recapture former glories isn't it??

Lets face it, Oasis haven't been a relevant band for the last 10 years...and this comes from one of their biggest fans that even liked Be Here Now (:eek:)....

They just write incredibly boring, MOR rubbish now....

NavanBohs
29/12/2007, 8:41 PM
know rage reunited at coachella festival this year and have been playing u.s dates but havent heard anything about new material or european tour dates, one of the best live bands ever

They've announced some European festival dates, in the New Year Im gonna try arrange to head to the Rock Am Ring Festival in Germany with Metallica. Sort of a dream of mine to see a RATM live show so kinda unmisssable! They have no plans for a new album yet though...

Speaking of Metallica, they have a new one out next year, not exactly a huge fan but have most of their stuff, looking forward to hearing what they come up with (Oh and Rick Rublin is producing it too...)

jamie m
30/12/2007, 6:56 AM
They've announced some European festival dates, in the New Year Im gonna try arrange to head to the Rock Am Ring Festival in Germany with Metallica. Sort of a dream of mine to see a RATM live show so kinda unmisssable! They have no plans for a new album yet though...

Speaking of Metallica, they have a new one out next year, not exactly a huge fan but have most of their stuff, looking forward to hearing what they come up with (Oh and Rick Rublin is producing it too...)

thats fantastic news about rage, hopefully they can find room for an irish date! im sure they will have new material, its not like there isnt enough going on in the world to inspire zack and the boys! anything metallica brings out has gotta be better than St Anger, hated it,

CollegeTillIDie
30/12/2007, 8:05 AM
Another possibility is a "classic" Sepultura line-up re-union. As both Cavaleras are now out of the line-up it's lost a lot of it's credibility despite the fact they've produced some fine records with Derrick Green who has wronged no-one in all the goings on. I'd prefer to see Green retained and incorporated in the scenario of a move to bring the Cavaleras back into the fold.

They could possibly take a leaf out of YES's book. At one point in the 1990's there was an eight strong line up featuring everyone who'd been in the band since the mid 1970's on stage at the one time. I know they may not be your taste as a band , but in terms of internal band politics, it might be a model for the Sepultura guys to follow.

Pauro 76
31/12/2007, 1:56 PM
Just read in Q, rather browsed, wouldnt buy the magazine. Portishead are releasing a new album in 2008, a mere 11 years after the last album! That one could be interesting. Massive Attack surely releasing one too. At the opposite end of the scale, really hope RATM release a comeback album for next year.

Risteard
31/12/2007, 2:58 PM
Verve album could be a classic.

niallsparky
31/12/2007, 7:17 PM
U2 should have a new album in 08. Will be interesting as Bono has stated that they will be completely changing their sound.

Anto McC
01/01/2008, 9:51 AM
Metallica also will be releasing a new album.

CollegeTillIDie
01/01/2008, 10:07 AM
Is The Verve's new album called '' Rural Psalms?'' :D

Pauro 76
01/01/2008, 11:18 AM
Franz Ferdinand bringing out new one as are The Kooks. Green Day are surely due a new one out this year too?

SaucyJack
03/01/2008, 12:21 PM
Cat Power(a covers cd) , Magnetic Fields, and The Mars Volta, all have January releases here in the U.S., this should tide me over.

SligoBrewer
03/01/2008, 7:27 PM
U2 should have a new album in 08. Will be interesting as Bono has stated that they will be completely changing their sound.

:rolleyes: U2

Anywho..

I'll be looking forward to.

Los Campesinos and Franz Ferdinands efforts..

plus Alex Turners side projects as well

declan hide
04/01/2008, 12:38 PM
Metallica also will be releasing a new album.

another load o'****e for sure.

Lionel Ritchie
07/01/2008, 9:35 AM

Heard 'In Gods Country' on the radio last night and thought to myself that they owe Echo & The Bunnymen a feckin fortune.

I wonder who they'll be apeing to fcuk on the next one.

superfrank
07/01/2008, 1:40 PM
Hopefully Dr. Dre will finally release Detox. God knows he's taking long enough on it.

bennocelt
07/01/2008, 3:06 PM
Thats good about RATM, love them:)
Is Morello still with Audioslave? they werent bad, but a pale imitation

About Oasis. Im sorry, they are rubbish live, all they do is shout and wave about, and the crowd look like they are up for a football match or something (maybe thats the appeal of them "live"?)
But also it gives me a pain with all the "critics" going on about how crap their last few albums are. Thats rubbish. Heathen Chemistry is a cracking album, quite rocky with good tunes.

Neish
07/01/2008, 9:20 PM
Thats good about RATM, love them:)
Is Morello still with Audioslave? they werent bad, but a pale imitation

Thought Audiosalve were finished, Tom is touring with Rage AFAIK. Should check out his solo project the Nigh****chman

enter the letters t w a t for the stars, won't let me post them letters together for some reason :confused:

Green_Hoop
08/01/2008, 9:49 AM
The new albums from Jack Johnson and R.E.M.

The Good Son
30/01/2008, 6:51 AM
Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw, due out in April.

ken foree
30/01/2008, 4:43 PM
would love to see u2 do some kind of rootsy thing, get away from their played-out stadium sheen sound. irish roots, not rattle and hum r&b. it'll never happen. but something folky, along the lines of celtic folk-metal and dark neil young mixed with the rockier moments of fairport convention (e.g. matty groves). edge sometimes reminds me of richard thompson in his style so i think it would be at least interesting and a challenge. atmosphere and space, with emerging adam-driven grooves. let bono write evil low-key lyrics instead of the tuna-fleet widescreen stuff. let edge atmospherically weave feedback and weird sh!t all over. and let me twiddle the knobs for that one! anyway back on this topic, haven't posted music stuff here in a while so what the hell. these aren't necessarily 2008 releases but intending to pick them up:

goblin - fantastic voyage of goblin (italian horror movie soundtrack masters!)
yellow swans - global clone/at all ends (best u.s. noise group at present)
black dice - load blown (2nd best u.s. noise group at present!)
wolves in the throne room - diadem of 12 stars/ 2 hunters (metal folk? or folk metal?)
marvin gaye - here, my dear (bizarre outer-space soul explorations from the legend)
radiohead - in rainbows

too much music!:(:)

placid casual
31/01/2008, 2:17 PM
The new albums from Jack Johnson and R.E.M.

this has got be a pi$$take .:eek:
or else your a bird in which case i'm sorry luv.

noby
31/01/2008, 2:20 PM
Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw, due out in April.
Excellent. Must get the Nick Cave one too.

noby
31/01/2008, 2:26 PM
marvin gaye - here, my dear (bizarre outer-space soul explorations from the legend)

I thoroughly recommend it. Although for 'bizarre outer-space soul explorations', I think you might be thinking of 'In our lifetime', the follow up to 'Here, my dear'.

boovidge
01/02/2008, 5:21 AM
I'm looking forward to albums from:

Cynic
Pestilence
Opeth
Jack Johnson
Nick Cave
Dr. Dre
Metallica (just so we can all moan about how terrible they've been since the '80s)

SaucyJack
01/02/2008, 12:34 PM
got the new Catpower covers cd, "Jukebox", not really thrilled with it, picked up the new Magnetic fields, still have to listen to it, hope it's good.

ken foree
01/02/2008, 5:37 PM
got the new Catpower covers cd, "Jukebox", not really thrilled with it,

i heard it wasn't up to scratch too. it's her second covers disk no? i've seen her twice with the better half and am going next thursday to see her again. she's been very good live those two times, hopefully banishing performance demons once and for all!

ken foree
01/02/2008, 5:40 PM
I thoroughly recommend it. Although for 'bizarre outer-space soul explorations', I think you might be thinking of 'In our lifetime', the follow up to 'Here, my dear'.

thanks noby i'm sure you're right, i jotted down "here, my dear" some time ago and thought it was related to some cosmic soul in a review i read. but: thanks! must go look it up

BohsPartisan
01/02/2008, 11:00 PM
thanks noby i'm sure you're right, i jotted down "here, my dear" some time ago and thought it was related to some cosmic soul in a review i read. but: thanks! must go look it up

The long overdue new Portishead.

Rocky77
07/02/2008, 1:55 PM
Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses should it ever see the light of day. Although it could never live up to the hype.

Failing that, the new Metallica and Motley Crue albums will keep me happy.

ken foree
12/02/2008, 5:17 PM
Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses should it ever see the light of day. Although it could never live up to the hype.

at this stage it might as well be called "Smile" by the beach boys!

Wolfie
27/03/2008, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Wolfie;842534]Supergrass release a new album in March 2008 - "Diamond Hoo-Ha" . Thought "Road to Rouen" was a little below par despite a few good singles. Hoping the new one is a return to form.

"Uncut" Magazines review of the new Supergrass album.

Can it really be nearly fifteen years since Supergrass hitched a ride to the Britpop party? With all their peers, save a depleted Blur and Oasis, now safely in the rear mirror, five top ten albums in the trunk and a new generation of admirers – most notably The Arctic Monkeys – urging them on, they could be forgiven for cruising nostalgically towards middle-age.

But beneath that easy-going exterior lurks a fearsome inner drive. When bassist Mick Quinn sleepwalked through a first floor window and sustained serious injuries last September, most bands would have taken it as an excuse for a year off. Instead, Gaz Coombes and Danny Goffey embarked on a club tour as White Stripes spoof The Diamond Hoo Haa Men, while Quinn made the kind of miraculous recovery normally reserved for David Banner.

Such strength of purpose reverberates through Diamond Hoo Ha. Perhaps it’s the thrill of recording at the legendary Hansa studios in Berlin (once home to David Bowie and Japan) which led them to the “Heroes”-esque ambience of “Rebel In You” or the swirling Krautrock rumble of “Rough Knuckles”. All this mesmeric swagger is, however, still matched by a rapier lyrical guile.

JJ Cale-esque lament “Ghost In You” sees Gaz bemoaning the loss of a friend to the party set, seething: “There’s always a circus in town/ Vultures, peacocks and hounds” while “Whisky & Green Tea” sees them encountering Chinese dragons, middle-aged schoolgirls and “being chased by William Burroughs” amidst runaway drums and squealing sax. Not quite “We keep our teeth nice and clean”, then.

More clues to the demons which forced Danny Goffey to “wander off” during sessions for 2005’s brooding Road To Rouen appear on “When I Needed You” .“In the middle of a shady bar/Broken bottles flying through the air/That’s when I needed you” sighs Gaz, music as ever, a salve for their disrupted friendship.

Heavy stuff. But apply megawatt tunes and career-best performances and you’ve got an album to top even 2002’s criminally neglected Life On Other Planets. Twenty-four carat stuff, guaranteed.

PAUL MOODY

Marked Man
27/03/2008, 1:50 PM
Have to say the new Nick Cave is disappointing.

Wangball
27/03/2008, 2:06 PM
Just read the review of Portisheads new album "Third" - it gets 5 stars in this months Uncut...am really looking forward to this, there's also a piece about Jason Pierce & Spiritualized's new album - am looking forward to these too, Ladies & Gentlemen We're Floating in Space is probably one of the best albums I own