PDA

View Full Version : History Of Dalymount Park Documentary

Block G Raptor
20/12/2007, 10:47 AM
http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/events/history-documentary-premiere-at-dalynount-park.htm
Premiers tonight in Dalyer and on RTE tomorrow night

GuisaSaigon
20/12/2007, 11:27 AM
All sounds good until
narrated by Liam Brady ZZzzzzzz.

Jerry The Saint
20/12/2007, 11:56 AM
Get Wee Seanie to narrate the sequel and it will be a guaranteed best seller.

MrJoeSoap
20/12/2007, 5:59 PM
A mate of mine worked on this, said its worth a watch for some of the old footage.

A face
21/12/2007, 12:35 PM
Gonna miss it, and it could be interesting even if it is Liam Brady. Will anyone be able to record this to download later on?

Ash
21/12/2007, 7:21 PM
Its good enough so far but Liam "Fr Stone" Brady is making it hard enough to watch. Good job Paul Osam isnt co-commentating or Id be fast asleep!

Erstwhile Bóz
21/12/2007, 7:35 PM
Its good enough so far but Liam "Fr Stone" Brady is making it hard enough to watch.
Hehe.

Nice bits of early Bohs footage before they got into all the internationals.

Raheny Red
21/12/2007, 7:38 PM
Spotted one mistake, they had the Bohs V Rangers game down as 1994.

Erstwhile Bóz
21/12/2007, 7:55 PM
"With thanks to Bohemians Football Club". Aaarrrrggghhh.

Not the best, now. They mustn't have had that much footage in fairness if that was all they showed.

Raheny Red
21/12/2007, 7:58 PM
Another mistake they made was leaving out this significant piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNaEkR0Brw

I think RTÉ screened this documentary a tad bit early!

LeixlipRed
21/12/2007, 8:49 PM
It was ok. Depressing seeing the crowds at the cup finals, etc. Don't think we'll ever see the likes of it again :(

Paddyfield
21/12/2007, 9:24 PM
Anyone notice the accents?

There seems to be a standardised half Dub half Brit accent for grey haired repatronised ex pro footballers.

Giles, Brady, Martin and Dunphy all sound the exact same. Add Whelan, Richardson and er, Rodders to that list. Actually, exclude Roddy. He's a different class of ex pro.

The only exceptions on the programme were Turley from Ahhhhhhlone and the Scouser lad.

They all seem to know every blade of grass in Dalymount even though I'd bet not one of them set foot in the place in decades.

sonofstan
21/12/2007, 9:29 PM
grey haired repatronised ex pro footballers.

Bad enough being patronised once

LeixlipRed
21/12/2007, 9:38 PM
Mick Martin was on Sky Sports News last week with a thick Geordie accent. Maybe being back on the Dalyer turf reawakened his Dublin soul. Joe Haverty is like that mad chap you get taking to at a bus stop :D

Billy Lord
21/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Brady said that Rovers won the FAI Cup four times in a row between 1929 and 1933 when he should've said five. Other than that blip it was a great documentary. Milltown was home but Dalymount was Disneyland when I was a kid as so many big games were played there and I saw the Hoops win 11 FAI Cups there between 1962 and 1987. I know that makes me old, but the memories are both priceless and unique. It's more than a fair trade-off.

cheifo
21/12/2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that BL, refreshing post.

CollegeTillIDie
21/12/2007, 11:37 PM
Apart from the one or two errors highlighted earlier it wasn't a bad effort.
Amazing to see Eamon Dunphy say something positive for once About an Irish football venue :D
P.S. Little know fact about Eamon's Ireland career. He played more than 20 times for Ireland and we didn't win a single one of those games :D

Patrick Dunne
22/12/2007, 9:10 AM
A good documentary - the newsreel footage was an excellent feature.

Sad to see the decline of domestic football since the 1960s.

Buller
22/12/2007, 10:21 AM

There seems to be a standardised half Dub half Brit accent for grey haired repatronised ex pro footballers.

Thats because our national broadcaster back then was only interested in gaa coverage and thus, the little footage we do have from those times had to be made by british company (pathway)

neville neville
22/12/2007, 10:32 AM
Good Documentary i thought, some good old footage

you really could tell how much some of those lads cared about the place

CollegeTillIDie
22/12/2007, 11:32 AM
Mick Martin was on Sky Sports News last week with a thick Geordie accent. Maybe being back on the Dalyer turf reawakened his Dublin soul. Joe Haverty is like that mad chap you get taking to at a bus stop :D

I think he used to play for Shels... you should have more respect for him then!

soccerc
22/12/2007, 11:38 AM

St Patrick's Ath Arsenal, Balckburn and Millwall a couple of seasons in the US then a spell with Shels and his in final one (69/70) with Rovers where he only played two games.

A absolute gentleman and still a regular attendee of games.

Erstwhile Bóz
22/12/2007, 12:20 PM
Nice post, Billy Lord.

Thats because our national broadcaster back then was only interested in gaa coverage and thus, the little footage we do have from those times had to be made by british company (pathway)
That's a good point ("The Ahrash Cahp Fahnal" -- sounded like something off South Park) but I reckon he was talking about the English-based ex-internationals (the likes of Giles, Mick Martin, and maybe Charlie Hurley, although he's gone completely native at this stage) who were interviewed for the programme.

Erstwhile Bóz
22/12/2007, 12:24 PM
There was one point where Mick Martin was talking about the Santos game against Bohs/Drums and he was about to say how "It was a Bohemians and Drumcondra selection ..." and Brady cut across him completely and got him to talk about Pelé. Fair enough -- it was Pelé, like -- but he could have let him talk a little bit about the LofI aspect to it. Pelé would have got a mention anyway.

LeixlipRed
22/12/2007, 1:47 PM

Yes he did play for Shels. Shame on me. UCD fans never having made fun of former players of course :rolleyes:

Martinho II
22/12/2007, 6:24 PM
watched the documentary today. allowing for the odd error or two, it was actually an excellent well put documetary. first time to see giles dunphy and brady talkin about the old eircom league it was so strange to see that.

geysir
23/12/2007, 12:07 PM
St Patrick's Ath Arsenal, Balckburn and Millwall a couple of seasons in the US then a spell with Shels and his in final one (69/70) with Rovers where he only played two games.

A absolute gentleman and still a regular attendee of games.
Agreed, Joey Haverty as a player was one of the special characters. I was at Milltown when he came on a sub in his Rovers debut and he used every trick in his repetoire to torture the defence and mezemerize the crowd. It was the first time I ever heard a whole crowd chant a players name.

A good laid back documentary, I enjoyed it. I didn't know Dev was a soccer fan, I suppose Oscar Traynor was a comrade in arms and made sure he came.

BohDiddley
23/12/2007, 5:18 PM
Giles, Brady, Martin and Dunphy all sound the exact same.
Really? :eek:
You mustn't get out of Galway too much.

gspain
24/12/2007, 9:43 AM
Have it taped but haven't seen it.

However I believe they also claimed that we first played in the World Cup in 1937. We of course also played in the 34 qualifiers drawing with Belgium 4-4 but losing to Holland.

Such errors as mentioned previously re cup finals etc are very very poor and do detract hugely from a documentary.

oriel
24/12/2007, 7:43 PM
Any music buffs out there know the name of the tune used in the santos clip ? brilliant brazillian track. just dont know the name of it.

cheifo
24/12/2007, 11:37 PM
Any music buffs out there know the name of the tune used in the santos clip ? brilliant brazillian track. just dont know the name of it.

Yeh caught my attn as well, really cool track.I enjoyed the documentrary but it was hard to squeeze so much history into an hour.The game against England(1957?) where they scored in injury time was nicely recreated with Tom Finney giving a good wee contribution.Brady did fine, rather a legend like him than some perma tanned media eejit doing it for a nixer.Had its faults but overall very enjoyable.Really wish they would produce a series looking back at big games.

LeixlipRed
24/12/2007, 11:44 PM
Was it something by the Go Team? Can't remember the music tbh but thought I remember there being some Go Team in there

CollegeTillIDie
25/12/2007, 8:39 AM
Yes he did play for Shels. Shame on me. UCD fans never having made fun of former players of course :rolleyes:

Some do some don't............

Sliogán Dóite
25/12/2007, 6:51 PM
Anyone able to upload it?

oriel
31/12/2007, 12:20 AM

Giles, Brady, Martin and Dunphy all sound the exact same. Add Whelan, Richardson and er, Rodders to that list. Actually, exclude Roddy. He's a different class of ex pro.

The only exceptions on the programme were Turley from Ahhhhhhlone and the Scouser lad.

They all seem to know every blade of grass in Dalymount even though I'd bet not one of them set foot in the place in decades.

I think you`re been hyper critical there, these lads you're refering to have lived 30+ yrs in UK, and to be fair there have been worse examples of embarrassing accents than these, anyone recall jan molby, one week after arriving from denmark, already in scouse lingo, brady/giles/martin/etc gave their heart and soul for ireland, even the english born charlie hurley in the documentary took off his dads 'munster ?? sounding accent, so come on, these boys all had passion for the country. Bit cheap that comment

NeilMcD
31/12/2007, 10:48 AM
Why to people criticise people who lose their accent. Its actually shows that they have immersed themselves in the place they are living and it is also to do with having a musical ear etc.

Paddyfield
01/01/2008, 2:04 PM
Why to people criticise people who lose their accent. Its actually shows that they have immersed themselves in the place they are living and it is also to do with having a musical ear etc.

I didn't critise their accents. I just made an observation and asked did anyone else notice.

Mind you, I meant "patrioict" when I wrote "repatronised" Ooooops. Repatronised isn't even a word. :o

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=843479&postcount=12

Originally Posted by Paddyfield

ofjames
02/01/2008, 12:48 AM

So what if they havent set foot in the place in decades.

Their dalymount is quite clearly a different stadium altogether then the one of that exists today. Back in their day it had a heart, was an icon, somewhere all young irish footballers wanted to play. Now its a rundown, neglected kip of a place that holds absolutely no allure to todays footballing youth.

As an occasional matchgoer at dalymount these days, i struggle to understand how a ground considered so magical by so many could have died such a death. I also wonder how on earth they managed to fit so many people in there back then!

Block G Raptor
02/01/2008, 8:24 AM
W it is also to do with having a musical ear etc.

I suspected that for a while
was in Boston for two weeks in 2000 and came home speaking like JFK :o
and Iam quite musical in that I've taught myself to play keyboards to a pretty high standard picking up many of tunes by ear