PDA

View Full Version : Matt Holland

Pages : [1] 2 3

colster
04/06/2003, 11:03 AM
I've always had a sneaking suspicion about Holland . I think he lacks committment and ambition.
I think the fact that he never gets injuries is because he doesn't commit himself 100% to a match. He playes within himself.
His performances for Ireland haven't been very good over the last few months.
I think Kinsella is a more committed and dependable player.

I also have a suspicion about his ambition.
Maybe it's due to loyalty but he's had chances to leave Ipswich for Premiership clubs this season and hasn't because Sunderland + Aston Villa were too far away.

So what do you think??

Ash
04/06/2003, 11:10 AM
Apparently Harry Redknapp is trying to bring him
to Portsmouth for £1 million

Never looks like getting stuck into a tackle

elroy
04/06/2003, 1:16 PM
Well portsmouth have had a 750,000 bid accepted for him so i think he's gonna have to go now, cos Ipswich are seriously broke.
Dont rate Holland much myself, not much of a tackler, had a sweet strike though which as we all know has got us a few important goals the lst few years.
Having said that he prob is one of our best midfielders at the moment, doesnt say much about our options

John83
10/06/2003, 11:36 AM
He might not be much of a tackler, but he's a good distributer. Ipswich went down when teams started double-marking Holland.

noby
10/06/2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by colster
he's had chances to leave Ipswich for Premiership clubs this season and hasn't because Sunderland + Aston Villa were too far away.

Maybe in hindsight he was right, given those two teams. He wouldn't have made any difference at sunderland, and could have ended up in villa reserves too.

at least if he goes to portsmouth, he'll probably be guaranteed a game.

Shelsman
11/06/2003, 1:03 PM
He's been complete rubbish since the World Cup. Healy should be playing instead of him even though he's didn't play many club games he is still a better player.
Even Carsley would be an improvement -at least he gets involved in the game ( how may times did you hear Hollands name called out by George Hamilton on Saturday? ).

sadloserkid
11/06/2003, 1:17 PM
Colin Healy is not the answer. Lee Carsley or Rory Delap yes. But not Healy. If Holland does move to Portsmouth then maybe I'd give him a stay of execution but at the moment I'd pick 2 from Kinsella (might benefit from Dave O'Leary at Villa), Carsley and Delap.

tiktok
11/06/2003, 3:23 PM
apparently holland didn't want to move too far from ipswich because his family is settled there, it's all well and good to talk about ambition but outside factors influence these descisions too. i do think since ipswich were relegated that he's lost most of his competitiveness (at least for ireland) and i'd throw carsley in there. i'd have delap as the first off the bench too, i think he's a little underrated, he can bring a lot to a team going forward.

sadloserkid
11/06/2003, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
apparently holland didn't want to move too far from ipswich because his family is settled there,

His wife runs an equestrian centre apparently.

Real ale Madrid
11/06/2003, 5:29 PM
What's all this rubbish about Mattie Holland?

It's seems to be flavour of the month to slag him off since the albania game away. I disagree about him being a poor tackler. He is a fine all round player. The real problem in Ireland's midfield is a lack of creativity and that is down to the fact that Kinsella and Holland are both too similar. But come on Holland or Carsley ?do me a favour!

patsh
11/06/2003, 5:49 PM
I have to say that any team with Carsley in it, is a poorer side.
As for Holland, does anyone reckon that his heart may not be in it to the same extent as when McCarthy was there?
(I'm not trying to say that he doesn't want to play for Kerr, but maybe the different setup does not suit him as well?)

Soko
11/06/2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Colin Healy is not the answer. Lee Carsley or Rory Delap yes. But not Healy.

I know its a bit rich to post this after the game but I always felt Healy has played very well for Ireland and can actually pass the pass more than 30 yards, unlike Carsley, Holland, Kinsella. He gets stuck in as well. I'm still amazed he could'nt get ahead of Lennon and Lambert for Celtic. Hes a Premiership player.

All of those others are too slow and around the 30 mark. Healy will cement his place in the Irish side for future years and become the new Roy Keane :D

tiktok
12/06/2003, 1:07 AM
i said i wouldn't have started healy, he proved me wrong (although i thought carsley did well too)

healy played very very well, he always gives his all when he plays for ireland which is good to see. having said that the boy needs to get out of celtic as soon as possible, he's flogging a dead horse there, i don't think he will ever form part of o'neill's plans (for whatever reason). mccarthy wants to bring him to sunderland, but i'm hoping that everton renew their interest in him, we need our promising players to be playing in bigger clubs at the highest level. i have loads of time for david moyes as a manager, i think he really brings the best out of his players.

gspain
12/06/2003, 6:56 AM
Healy was very impressive. Absolutely vital he is p[laying first team football in the premiership by September.

sadloserkid
12/06/2003, 8:08 AM
I'l be the first to admit that Colin Healy did very well last night. However Colin Healy (like Gary Breen last summer) is putting himself in the shop window at the moment. If he could play like that all year round he wouldn't have been rotting in the reserves for Celtic. I came around on Healy to a degree last night but I'm still not 100% convinced by him.

Also Rory Delap is nowhere near 30, I think he's 26. Small point I know but still.

As for Holland, the cause of this thread after all, last night I thought he was invisible in the first half and did pretty well in the second.

gspain
12/06/2003, 8:43 AM
Healy doesn't get on with O'Neill. A celtic fan I know has given a plausible reason (nothing to do with football) which I couldn't post on a bulletin board. However glasgow is always full of rumours and many of them are false.

In football terms he has been very impressive every time for Ireland. He badly needs a new club and first team football. He looks head and shoulders above any of the current Celtic midfield.

I agree it may be too early to judge but hopefully we'll know soon.

I think Delap is a fine player who needs to find a regular position - unlucky to be injured this time round.

Soko
12/06/2003, 9:09 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid

Also Rory Delap is nowhere near 30, I think he's 26. Small point I know but still.

I did'nt mean Delap, just the other wasters Kinsella, Holland and Carsley.

tiktok
16/06/2003, 4:10 PM
So Holland ends up signing for Alan Cirbishley's Charlton for 750000stg. Apparently Curbishley had also tabled a bid for Chelsea's Jody Morris should Holland's personal terms be unrealistic.

is he worthy more than this, does he think he's worth more than this. why does this transfer look like it's not going to favour any of the parties involved?

It's not so long since Charlton let Kinsella go to Villa for what at the time looked like a steal, and now with David O'Leary at the helm at that club and 'deadly' doug ellis controlling the purse strings it looks like he's going to have to chase free signings, specifically colin healy.

would that be a good move for Healy, has O'Leary improved any of the players that have played for him, or is Healy better off at the other clubs interested, everton (with david moyes) or with Mick McCarthy at sunderland?

Slash/ED
24/06/2003, 8:15 PM
From what I've seen Delap is our best central mid fielder, he's finally settled in that position and watching him this year for Southampton a bit, he's been class for them every time. Healy not getting his game was a pain but has nothing to do with his ability, he showed against Georgia he has more skill in his little toe then Lennons ever shown on a pitch, and hopefully the Villa move comes off, that will be one class central mid field pairing, with Carsley and the emerging Thornton standing by. Maybe Hollands move to Charlton will cause his form to improve too.

The Legend
24/06/2003, 8:35 PM
There's a lot of hoping in there....

Personally, i think our midfield is screwed for a year or two...

Come back Roy, all is forgiven........... NOT!

tiktok
24/06/2003, 9:36 PM
if healy goes to villa and gets his game then,

holland, carsley, healy, kennedy, duff, delap, kinsella will all be playing top flight football, which is important, there are rumours that even kilbane might be snapped up too. regardless of how good or bad they are, we don't have too many options now, so at least let's have them playing ball at the top level.

The Legend
24/06/2003, 10:35 PM
Are any of them playing on a team in the Champions league?..
Nope.

Or that has any hope of Premiership Champion contention?
Nope.

(not yet anyway)

tiktok
24/06/2003, 10:43 PM
the champions league improved andy o'brien's game no end didn't it legend?

if a player is playing for a premiership outfit week in week out under a good manager he'll hopefully maintain a consistency of performance that we don't see when we drag players from the bench of their respective teams.

is there a huge difference between the practice shay given got conceeding two against juventus and six against man yoo.;)

A face
24/06/2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Ash
Apparently Harry Redknapp is trying to bring him
to Portsmouth for £1 million

The most he is spending this summer is 300,000 on a player from Wimbeldon, this as of last Friday so ... no. Not true.

noby
25/06/2003, 7:52 AM
I think the point that's being made is that awareness and vision is no good if you are sitting in the stand every saturday.(unless the seat is a long way back!)
Healy needs to get a regular game, which Delap and Carsley were last season. If he does, it can only improve his game.

The Legend
25/06/2003, 6:11 PM
the champions league improved andy o'brien's game no end didn't it legend?

My point being... playing week in, week out getting your ass kicked while playing for Wolves or Charlton isnt exactly going to grow your confidence.

At least Andy O Brien gets more experience playing against Top players and different styles.... in "theory" yes it should improve his game...

... it would for most people, don't you agree?

tiktok
25/06/2003, 6:32 PM
my point was that they are playing at the top level every saturday, and that week in week out they will be playing against different teams and different styles and that the champions league isn't a prerequisite for good competition.

both wolves and charlton will play against champions league competitors a minimum of eight times next season at least.

imagine the player healy would be now with two seasons first team football under his belt, even if it was in the scottish league.

tiktok
25/06/2003, 6:38 PM
from www.eleven-a-side.com (on a related note)

Mel Stein, the agent of Irish international star Colin Healy, admits he is shocked by the apparent lack of interest in the player, who becomes a free agent when his contract at Celtic runs out next week.

Stein has been canvassing clubs south of the border seeking to find a suitable employer for the Cork lad, but apart from expressions of interest shown Premiership trio Leeds United, Aston Villa and Everton and First Division Sunderland, no firm offer has yet been made for the 23-year-old’s services.

And Stein, well-known in football circles, is surprised that no-one has yet come in with an offer for his client.

"I’m surprised that only Villa, Everton and Sunderland have been in touch in recent times," said Stein. "I really can’t understand it. Colin is keeping Premiership players out of the Irish team and I can’t believe other clubs are hesitating over a move for him.

"I’m waiting on a call from Villa and hopefully we can move things on soon."

:confused: anyone else surprised by this.

R&T Flanders
26/06/2003, 10:39 AM
Smacks of Agents desperation to drum up some interest in his client. Healy would be better off going to a club where he will be guaranteed 30 games a season even if it is in the first division.

Kinsella needs to get back in the frame at Villa and unless Joey Gudjonnsen signs there's every chance he will.

Hollands move should see him get back to his best, Delap is too injury prone for my liking and Carsley has come full circle from being the villian against Turkey a few years back he looks like he could be the man!!

John83
26/06/2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by R&T Flanders
Smacks of Agents desperation to drum up some interest in his client. Healy would be better off going to a club where he will be guaranteed 30 games a season even if it is in the first division.

Kinsella needs to get back in the frame at Villa and unless Joey Gudjonnsen signs there's every chance he will.

Hollands move should see him get back to his best, Delap is too injury prone for my liking and Carsley has come full circle from being the villian against Turkey a few years back he looks like he could be the man!!

Joey Gudjonnsen is apparently not going to be signed by Villa according to Doug Ellis (Villa chairbeing), so Kinsella's got a crack at it next season. Hell, if Batty can get a game under DaveO then surely Mark can.

Carsley's surprised me this year - I didn't think he had it in him. I'd like to see him and Healy get a few games together in the middle - they could be a good partnership for a couple of years.

R&T Flanders
26/06/2003, 1:34 PM
If Joey Gud.. doesn't sign (and who are we to douby Deadly Doug) Healy might get a look in too, I know Villa released Ian Taylor and Leonhardsen at the end of last season so they're not exactly brimming over with decent central midfielders.

John83
26/06/2003, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by R&T Flanders
If Joey Gud.. doesn't sign (and who are we to douby Deadly Doug) Healy might get a look in too, I know Villa released Ian Taylor and Leonhardsen at the end of last season so they're not exactly brimming over with decent central midfielders.

I'm struggling to think of any others. Gareth Barry, in a pinch. Lee Hendry... in a pinch. Am I missing any? That young German bloke?

R&T Flanders
26/06/2003, 1:55 PM
Hitzberger? I think he played against the U21's a couple of weeks back. There's the Morrocans Kachloul & Hadji who can play there at a push but no real ball winners in there.

Barry's been playing left side of midfield, be intresting to see how Dave'O does without much money and a very average squad.

Cityace
18/07/2003, 1:52 PM
Holland is a t*ss*r and i think we'd be better off seeing the back of him.

John83
18/07/2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
Holland is a t*ss*r and i think we'd be better off seeing the back of him.

Exactly what has he done to raise your bile? I'm not his biggest fan (when he's in green anyway) but I struggle to think of anything to merit calling him a tosser.

gspain
18/07/2003, 4:18 PM
Come on guys he had a great world cup. What's the problem - he hasn't been the best lately but he hasn't had a break either - plays every week. Still don't have too many options in central midfield although hopefully Healy will get a club soon.

Junior
18/07/2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Come on guys he had a great world cup. What's the problem - he hasn't been the best lately but he hasn't had a break either - plays every week. Still don't have too many options in central midfield although hopefully Healy will get a club soon.

As Healy is a free agent, does anyone else on here think its a bit strange that he hasn't been snapped up, a few half hearted attempts by Everton,Villa and Sunderland but nothing else.

'Tabloid rumour' last year was that his off the field habits weren't quite in the mould of an international footballer (Charlie etc etc....)

Its not as if anyone would have to pay a signing on fee now, something doesn't seem right on this one. any views?

sadloserkid
21/07/2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Junior
any views?

He's over-rated in Ireland maybe? He's not overly blessed with flair or pace. I suppose he's in the same mould as Holland and Kinsella but they've hardly played with the giants of the English game either. Healy will find his level I'd imagine but I don't know if it'll be in the Premiership to be honest (and I know he was excellent against Georgia but that doesn't really prove much)

John83
21/07/2003, 3:14 PM
His agent seemed to be digging around for offers. Maybe his wage demands are too high? Clubs are poor this year.

:D Poor he says.

SÓC
21/07/2003, 3:26 PM
I think with a bit of luck we could have an amazing midfield in a few years time.

Healy if he can find himself a premier or good 1st division side

Seán Thornton is a great great player, seen him a good few times now at underage for Ireland, he ran the show each time. He broke into the Sunderland team towards the end of the season.

Liam Miller is another good hope if he can get away from Celtic

Duff on the left

Reid on the right

Seamus #1
21/07/2003, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Seán Thornton is a great great player, seen him a good few times now at underage for Ireland, he ran the show each time. He broke into the Sunderland team towards the end of the season.

Yep he is class. Should give us a bit of variety on free kicks - he fancies himself as someone who bends it like beckham.

Slash/ED
21/07/2003, 7:42 PM
I think Thornton just fancies himself as David Beckham full stop really, looks a great prospect though.

Éanna
21/07/2003, 11:38 PM
I don't rate holland, I never have. He looks like a china doll and doesn't play much better than one

Junior
22/07/2003, 9:14 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

Liam Miller is another good hope if he can get away from Celtic

or break in to the first team???

tiktok
22/07/2003, 4:25 PM
Liam Miller seems to be more a part of Martin O'Neills plans than Colin Healy at the moment, he's expected to play in their pre-season friendly against man utd in seattle tonight.

from www.eleven-a-side.com

Irish under-21 international Liam Miller is in line for one of the biggest games of his fledgling career at Scottish giants Celtic when the Bhoys meet a strong Manchester United line-up early tomorrow morning.

The match, part of a seven-team pre-seaosn tournament, takes place in Seattle, USA, at 4am Irish time, and could see Cork lad Miller go head-to-head with fellow Rebel and Manchester United legend Roy Keane in the centre of midfield.

Miller has already made a couple of appearances for the Celts this pre-season, turning in a brilliantly promising 45-minute stint in last week’s friendly defeat of Premiership side Fulham.

And Celtic boss Martin O’Neill has revealed that he will have no qualms about throwing the 22-year-old in against United.

“Liam has always had the ability to make the grade, that has been evident for some time,” said the Ulsterman. “He’s 22 now and he’s had injuries in the last couple of seasons that didn’t help. But he’s getting stronger now and I’m hopeful that he will break through this year.”

Miller has been at Parkhead since 1997, and made two first-team appearances last season, in a Uefa Cup early-round meeting with Lithuanian side FK Suduva and a League Cup victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

But with midfield pairing Paul Lambert and Neil Lennon reaching veteran stage, and Colin Healy apparently not part of O’Neill’s plans, the stage could be set for Miller to make an impact in the coming campaign.

tiktok
26/07/2003, 9:02 PM
Liam Miller played in the first half of Celtic's preseason friendly against Boca Juniors last night. He did fairly well, good touches, bit of pace to him although he was muscled off the bal a little easy (then he's only young). Looks a good prospect though.

Celtic won 1-0 BTW through Sutton, poor ill tempered game.

Beanie
27/09/2004, 8:44 AM
Holland is in the Charlton squad to play Blackburn tonite after recovering from ankle injury, although i am not a huge fan of his i think he could be a better option in the french match than Kilbane who was sloppy to say the least against the swiss, Hollands range of passing is often umambitious but he doesn't give the ball away as badly as Kilbane, I like Kavanagh but he might be just a bit gung-ho with his tackling for a start, better of bringing him on in second half to shore up midfield if needs be..

thejollyrodger
27/09/2004, 8:47 AM
I would include Holland in the squad but would start kavanagh defintely. Kavanagh keeps the ball very well, he makes his presence felt in the center of the park and range of passes is excellent. We dont need mr invisible to put on one of his usual performances.

livehead1
18/01/2005, 8:44 PM
im just trying to gauge public opinion here bout matt holland. from reading various posts over the last few months its appeared to me that many people really dont rate him that highly at all. this has suprised me as i have regarded him as a very neat footballer, a good leader and someone who can strike and head a ball. remember he was on the verge of costing villa 4m 2years ago. wats peoples opinions on him?

Éanna
18/01/2005, 8:45 PM
he's muck. the most over-rated player in the ireland squad. he can manage decent 10 yard passes, and hits a good strike every 10 games or so. can't tackle, and isn't strong or creative on the ball. how he's kept kavanagh out of the team is beyond me