PDA

View Full Version : Four new clubs in eircom League of Ireland

Pages : [1] 2 3

padjoe
19/12/2007, 6:03 PM
Four clubs have today been formally entered into the eircom League of Ireland in order to compete in the new ‘A Championship’ division, which will commence during 2008.

The four clubs accepted into the A Championship are: Mervue United, Tullamore Town, Salthill Devon and Sporting Fingal.

These four clubs will be entered into the 2008 A Championship.

The A Championship will be the third layer of the eircom League of Ireland and competing in it will give Mervue United, Tullamore Town, Salthill Devon and Sporting Fingal the opportunity to win promotion to the First Division.

The prize money for winning the A Championship will be €20,000.

pineapple stu
19/12/2007, 6:05 PM
Three teams from Galway now, so?

And the A League is now those four, plus the 12 Premier Division teams plus maybe four First Division teams? Two divisions of ten, or thereabouts?

Tullamore's a bit of a surprise.

Buller
19/12/2007, 6:07 PM
Interesting...
Is Mervue in Galway?! That would be 3 teams in Galway? :confused:

ifk101
19/12/2007, 6:09 PM
Is Salthill Devon technically Galway United's reserve team?

Otherwise welcome to the new teams.

gilberto_eire
19/12/2007, 6:18 PM
Interesting...

Is Salthill Devon technically Galway United's reserve team?

Otherwise welcome to the new teams.

salthill devon have no affilitaion to us at all, we both have sepearate under-21 teams to highlight this, Devon owned us for a part a few years ago and we still use there facilities for training purposes as they are of the highest quality! viewed here>>>http://www.salthilldevon.ie/dromphotos.asp no surprise in Devon moving up anyway but bit surprised bout mervue

yes mervue is located in the city center, would be one of the top 2/3 teams in the county with Athenry and S.Devon. they have a lovely pitch and have recently built astro pitches, have various national honours at under-age level in the past 2/3 years
there under-age teams and Devons steal all the best under-age players round town and all finals consist of Devon Vs. Mervue if the draw allows it, they remind me off the ''old firm'' of under-age football:D

so does this mean that these 2 clubs will be pulling out of junior football??

CollegeTillIDie
19/12/2007, 6:20 PM
Tullamore were in the Old League of Ireland B Division in the Late 1970's and 1980's.
In 1984 they were invited to apply for the new First Division that was being formed.
They declined. It's only 23 years late, welcome to the League Tullamore :D

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 6:32 PM
Is that the finalised list of clubs, or just the clubs so far?

Dodge
19/12/2007, 6:58 PM
Is that the finalised list of clubs, or just the clubs so far?

Thats just the new clubs. Won't be anymore

3 clubs in Galway is strange

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 7:06 PM
I was hoping a few munster clubs would have been up for it. Perhaps after a few years things will see safer.

Tis-smeee
19/12/2007, 7:07 PM
Was a joke of a league to begin with anyway , 3 teams in galway , what a joke. BTW What is the licensing requirement for the A league?

Tir Oilean
19/12/2007, 7:20 PM
More begrudgery towards Galway what a surprise. I'm sure that there was a long process involved in assessing the teams that applied for membership to the A-League. Like Gilberto I'm a bit surprised about Mervue United. Salthill Devon are well worthy of the A-League their set up in Drom is unbelievable for a so called small club. Dont know anything about Tullamore or sporting Fingal but welcome to all of the clubs to the league.

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 7:29 PM
More begrudgery towards Galway what a surprise. I'm sure that there was a long process involved in assessing the teams that applied for membership to the A-League. Like Gilberto I'm a bit surprised about Mervue United. Salthill Devon are well worthy of the A-League their set up in Drom is unbelievable for a so called small club. Dont know anything about Tullamore or sporting Fingal but welcome to all of the clubs to the league.

Its not begrudgery - its genuine surprise.

Also, Im fairly certain that almost any team who applied would have been accepted. Perhaps theres some reason why Galway clubs arent happy with what they've got and see this as a better option?

Aberdonian Stu
19/12/2007, 7:47 PM
I'm surprised the Mullingar teams, the Trins and the other Under 21 teams that aren't in the EL (outside of the 4) didn't go for this.

Poor Student
19/12/2007, 7:51 PM
What spectator facilities do Trinity have? I'm assuming you must be able to offer some sort of seating or at least standing to get an 'A' Championship licence.

I'd say once the league is up an running you'll see at least two or three teams come in again next year provided it isn't a total disaster.

Jofspring
19/12/2007, 7:53 PM
the A Championship will be the third layer of the eircom League of Ireland and competing in it will give Mervue United, Tullamore Town, Salthill Devon and Sporting Fingal the opportunity to win promotion to the First Division.

Does this mean the team that finish bottom in the first division will be relegated? ..... i doubt it very much or there would have been more said about it but can anyone clarify if the bottom team in the first division does or does not get relegated.

Terry
19/12/2007, 7:55 PM
What spectator facilities do Trinity have? I'm assuming you must be able to offer some sort of seating or at least standing to get an 'A' Championship licence.

Mervue have none of the above, unless they are planning on using Terryland?

Tis-smeee
19/12/2007, 7:56 PM
afaik there is relegation and i will lump on wexford for that honour

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 7:57 PM
Does this mean the team that finish bottom in the first division will be relegated? ..... i doubt it very much or there would have been more said about it but can anyone clarify if the bottom team in the first division does or does not get relegated.

IF non-reserve sides finishes in the top 6 of one of the A Championship divisions, and IF they meet div 1 critera, then they will face the bottom club of the 1st division in a promotion/relegation playoff.

IF non-reserve sides finish in the top six of both, the top non-reserve sides from each A Championship side will play off before continuing as above.

Poor Student
19/12/2007, 7:59 PM

Actually now that you say that, Salthill don't have any either. They've plenty of room to put a stand up in their setup though. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know if there's capacity requirements for the First Division licence even?

Gavin, I think it's the top four.

Battery Rover
19/12/2007, 8:05 PM
Dont know anything about Tullamore

From what I have heard from the local Athlone junior league players Tullamore FC sold there old ground to a developer in return for a few million euro and a new ground with top class facilities.

Their old ground is now a big health centre

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/07/09/story15628.asp

Kildare Lad
19/12/2007, 8:25 PM
Have to say Im dissapointed that only 4 new teams have entered, thought there wuld have been more.

CollegeTillIDie
19/12/2007, 8:28 PM
Interesting...

Well it's a suburb of the city Buller!

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 8:53 PM
Gavin, I think it's the top four.Yeah realised that a while ago. The original statement was top 6 but i doubt that would be workable with divisions of 8

Lim till i die
19/12/2007, 9:48 PM

Would I be correct in thinking Galway United have no say in who uses Terryland??

Is there resentment from the Junior boys up there or what??

Surely would make more sense for everyone to row in behind Galway United....

gufct
19/12/2007, 9:54 PM
Its madness to have three teams in Galway so much for The FAI making this a better league. Galway can just about afford one el team and there is a far smaller pool of players in Galway than Dublin,Cork or Limerick.

Lim till i die
19/12/2007, 9:59 PM
there is a far smaller pool of players in Galway than Dublin,Cork or Limerick.

Was thinking that myself.

With Galway United entering an A League team too would it be fair to assume at least one of the entrants will be fairly crap :confused:

Sounds like anyone who entered was accepted.

Pity if I'd known I might have cobbled something together :p

Buller
19/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Well it's a suburb of the city Buller!

I should be ashamed, half my relations are from galway and I go there often enough... :o

Sam_Heggy
19/12/2007, 10:06 PM
Any idea of which first div clubs have shown interest?
Id say the most likely will be Dundalk, Waterford, Monaghan and Wexford. All the others will be more interested in the first team to put any money into the A championship. Monaghan and Wexford seem to be ambitious clubs developing from the youth right through, both might see this as a chance to blood some local lads in to senior football.
A North/South divide would be best way with top 2 in each section playing off for the winner of A championship.
On that reckoning I guess best way would be:
North section:
Harps, Derry, Sligo, Galway, Mervue, Salthill, Dundalk, Drogheda, Monaghan and Tullamore.
Southern section:
Bohs, Pats, Rovers, UCD, Bray, Fingal, Cork, Cobh, Wexford and Waterford.

I could be miles off but so could the FAI :cool:

Lim till i die
19/12/2007, 10:08 PM

Apparently we're interested :eek: :ball:

Sam_Heggy
19/12/2007, 10:12 PM
Apparently we're interested :eek: :ball:

Really? :eek: I thought ye were skint.

Lim till i die
19/12/2007, 10:20 PM
Really? :eek: I thought ye were skint.

"Ah shur, bundle a few lads into a few cars twill cost nothin"*

Seriously, wouldn't be that much of a strain and the town is bursting at the seams with youngfellas who could possibly be LoI standard.

*Genuine Limerick attitude right there :p

passerrby
19/12/2007, 10:23 PM
only one club from first div belived to be limerick whick means 16 teams in new league but with three coming down only 14 next season.

Sam_Heggy
19/12/2007, 10:26 PM
"Ah shur, bundle a few lads into a few cars twill cost nothin"*

Seriously, wouldn't be that much of a strain and the town is bursting at the seams with youngfellas who could possibly be LoI standard.

*Genuine Limerick attitude right there :p

Ah sure if ye used a hiace van everyone could fit in the back and it would save more on diesel :cool:

Sam_Heggy
19/12/2007, 10:27 PM
only one club from first div belived to be limerick whick means 16 teams in new league but with three coming down only 14 next season.

Would it not mean 17 teams then? :confused: With 4 new clubs joining the current 12 plus Limerick, making up 17.

Lim till i die
19/12/2007, 10:28 PM
Ah sure if ye used a hiace van everyone could fit in the back and it would save more on diesel :cool:

Who said anything about paying for petrol??

Forecourt attendants are only all jessys :p

only one club from first div belived to be limerick

Limerick in progressive club shocker?? :eek:

historynut
19/12/2007, 10:31 PM
On WIkipedia, Letterkenny Rovers were billed as very interested.
Interesting to note route to full league membership now available to Intermediate/Junior clubs who desire it.
To enter A league both Salthill Devon/Mervue Utd must desire eventualy to obtain full league membership (why enter if not the goal), if that happens - Terryland groundshare ?
Tullamore ex as stated old B division, and Leinster League, are they not now in the combined central league - anyone know their history ?
The Fingal club - have they not been set up from scratch for this set up ?
Was there not a club recently formed around Carlow especially for this league - what happens to them ?
Would imagine final hurdle must be minimum ground criteria (spectator facilities) for promotion to Division 1.
May shake some Div 1 clubs up, some grounds would be a shame to be lost to the league, a hurling smooth stoned city springs to mind. And I dare say some grounds would'nt be missed !
Was not a reason for Newcastlewest's withdraw was to up-grade stadium ?

geezer
19/12/2007, 11:28 PM
it seems the fai heavies from galway who have done f all for GUFC over the years have gone to the politically motivated junior clubs in Galway to help fill the numbers. I have no doubt that the 2 junior clubs in Galway have better facilities than most LOI clubs. Im from Mervue myself and this can only divide the city in 3 and doesnt say a lot for the partnership put in place by UTD and the galway fa which was trumpeted as the way to go and was fundamental we were told in obtaining the premier licence. It seems its a fill the numbers exercise by delanys 2 sergeants in Galway. If Athenry go this route in 3 years time we will have 4 teams in County Galway in the LOI and this is daft.
All the marketing of UTD is a waste of effort really if the 2 former officers of UTD now heavily involved in the fai and practically left UTD for dead have truly took out the steak knife this time and ripped the heart out of progress and the plan for a Galway team to compete representing the region with the support of the region... Black Day....it completely undermines the Galway Utd Business plan in progress for the last 2 years and which Genisis report laughably lauded only 18months ago, also bar a few power mad individuals in Mervue I cant see a lot of the ordinary day to day lotto sellers of that club sell tickets supporting mercenary players for very long at the expense of the juvenile section. It happened in the Connaught senior league and it will happen again

Battery Rover
19/12/2007, 11:30 PM

Definitely not us from what I have heard

MojoPin
19/12/2007, 11:44 PM
Southern section:
Bohs, Pats, Rovers, UCD, Bray, Fingal, Cork, Cobh, Wexford and Waterford.

this would leave cobh with 12 trips to the pale at least in the A league..... we will be broke

Dodge
20/12/2007, 7:37 AM
I'm surprised the Mullingar teams, the Trins and the other Under 21 teams that aren't in the EL (outside of the 4) didn't go for this.

maybe they're just sticking with "new" u20 league and waiting to see how the A league pans out? If it looks like it wouldn't be too expensive to operate in we might see more clubs added

monutdfc
20/12/2007, 8:07 AM
I take it that means we are not entering passerby?
A pity imo. The costs to enter and then run a team in the A league are high though.

harpskid
20/12/2007, 9:02 AM
Everyone who applied was not accepted - I know of at least one club who had an application declined. also, someone mentioned Letterkenny Rovers - they were initially very interested, but they have since pulled out their application.

GuisaSaigon
20/12/2007, 9:29 AM
Ridiculous stuff from the FAI. Galway can hardly sustain 1 LOI club and now we will have 4 teams from Galway. The Genisis report recomended an 8 team premier division and to get rid of the rest the FAI seem to think they know better. We have to get our league back before these idiots fcuk it up completely.

Jerry The Saint
20/12/2007, 9:44 AM
United certainly seem to have put in lot of effort into branding themselves as the senior team for Galway city and county. Important to remember that a much bigger city with a much longer soccer tradition couldn't support two league teams.

Dodge
20/12/2007, 9:47 AM
We have to get our league back before these idiots fcuk it up completely.

I seem to remember nothing but love for the FAI when Galway were elected to the premier division. Genesis should't be allowed near football in this country IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with your gripe about the 2 new teams BTW.

incident
20/12/2007, 9:47 AM
This is not going to split support. If anyone thinks that 3 A-League teams (all playing against Galway United Reserves) are going to take support away from Galway United, then they're clearly insane.

Team at the A-League level just aren't going to be a factor. Does anyone on here seriously expect the average attendance at that level to even reach 100?

The A-League isn't being created for fans, it's all about the clubs and the players. It gives clubs a potential route into the proper league, and it gives players somewhere to play (in particular the squad players at the Premier clubs).

And if one (or more) of the Galway clubs do get promoted into the league, then good for them - it can only happen if they rightfully earn it on the pitch.

Dodge
20/12/2007, 9:52 AM
This is not going to split support. If anyone thinks that 3 A-League teams (all playing against Galway United Reserves) are going to take support away from Galway United, then they're clearly insane

Its not about support. Its about galway Utd going out to sponsors and being told they're giving their money to Mervue instead. Its about having to share the pitiful amount of coverage they already get. Its about splitting the 30/40 players of anyway decent standard between 3 clubs. It absolutely impacts on Galway utd

gufct
20/12/2007, 9:57 AM
Its not about support. Its about galway Utd going out to sponsors and being told they're giving their money to Mervue instead. Its about having to share the pitiful amount of coverage they already get. Its about splitting the 30/40 players of anyway decent standard between 3 clubs. It absolutely impacts on Galway utd

For once Dodge we agree.The FAI should have just left it as areserve league if they couldnt get enough teams to go forward. Geezers point about our 2 erstwhile colleagues have really turned up trumps is very true here absolute madness.

paudie
20/12/2007, 10:04 AM

But surely plenty of businesses sponsor Mervue at the moment so GUFC are competing with them in that way anyway.

You could argue that Mervue languishing in the lower part of the A league could be less attractive to sponsors than if they were topping the Connacht Senior league.

I would like to hear Salthill and Mervue giving their reasons for joining the A league. If their long term aim is to join the "Senior" LOI it's hard to see how having 3 senior teams in Galway can be sustainable in terms of support and sponsor base and playing strength.

incident
20/12/2007, 10:06 AM
Sponsorship? I presume that the clubs will already have sponsors in their existing leagues. Are they taking money away from GUFC at the moment? Anyone looking to spend a notable amount of money is most likely to do so because they want people to see their logo. Which leads to..

Coverage? How much coverage do you expect the A-League to get exactly? I'll be impressed if any national paper even bothers to print the results or table.. Indiividual teams might attract a bit of local coverage, but that happens anyway, with or without the A-League.

Fact is, the playing field is not level, and GUFC have a distinct advantage over the A League sides in every measurable way. If they end up losing any measurable support/sponsorship/coverage/players/etc to one of the A-League sides, then it can only be because GUFC are doing something very very wrong.