View Full Version : The Mons match

03/06/2003, 9:34 PM
Will Ben be back for the match? How are we doing bookings wise?:)

06/06/2003, 1:21 PM
Doesn't look like ben will be back but the injury is not as bad as it seemed initially.

I'd say a few players are close enough to suspensions . Very easy considering how refs in this league brandish cards like confetti.

Purdy and Kenny are 2 that spring to mind.

08/06/2003, 11:52 AM
Razzor is out for the Limerick match. Why does he give out to refs so much? leave it to the fans. He was at it again in the Mons match. He's a class player see how he won the penalty, he knew what he was doing.

Purdy picked up another yellow, the lad he was marking was a real handful, but he stuck well to his task.:D

Could be out for the Galway or Harps match. He will be a massive loss believe you me.:mad:

09/06/2003, 9:17 AM
No doubt Purdy and Keely have formed an excellent partnership but I'd say Daisy will slot in there if one of them is suspended with maybe Britton or even Ray Kenny going right full.

Saw Daisy play centre half in a few league cup games this year and pre-season and he played very well.

What a goal against Monaghan!!!!!

16/06/2003, 4:10 PM
Thoroughbreds leave it late

Kildare County 3
(Brennan 37, Kelly 86, McNevin pen. 90)

Monaghan United 1
(Arkins 27)

ON Friday, while Finn Harps were hammering six past Kilkenny, Kildare County looked to be heading for a poor result until an action packed last five minutes ensured that they didn’t lose ground.

The first 20 minutes were dull. It was a mimic of last year’s encounter that finished scoreless. Mark Hutchinson set up Philly Hughes early on but after overplaying the ball, the striker was stopped in his tracks.

The setpieces were poor too; Alan McNevin and Trevor Vaughan were both well of target from close range. Ray Scully fired over before Hughes was again released but dragged his effort well wide.

It took 22 minutes for the game’s first noteworthy effort as Wayne Russell did well to parry away a Graham Doyle free. At the other end Matt Britton’s cross was just too far ahead of the outstretched Barry O’Connor.

Against the run of play, Monaghan were first to strike on 27 minutes. The powerful David O’Brien released Stephen Arkins, who brilliantly silenced Station Road, turning inside Alan Keely before flicking the ball coolly past the helpless Russell.

The home side almost responded from the next attack as Stephen Gifford headed McNevin’s free just wide of his own goal. However, it wasn’t long before that equaliser did arrive - seven minutes to be exact.

O’Connor had just spurned the game’s best opening when Damien Brennan saved his blushes. Britton’s corner was mis-hit by O’Connor before Brennan wrong-footed former County number one, Danny O’Leary.

Britton and Ray Kenny both went close to putting County into the lead, but the threat was always there from Arkins at the other end. Twice before half-time he went close but the teams remained deadlocked.

After the restart, the pattern remained much the same. Scully volleyed wildly over and Hughes drove a free kick straight into the wall. With 20 minutes remaining Russell pulled off a fantastic stop that may have been the turning point. Arkins played Vaughan in but there was no way past the Welsh man.

Sixty seconds later, he shouldn’t have had a chance as the same player could only muster a tame effort with O’Brien free on the penalty spot.

Philip Gorman and Shay Zeller entered the arena for the closing 10 and made a match winning difference. The latter headed Ritchie Purdy’s corner wide with his first touch and Gorman too went close with an effort from distance.

Then came that thrilling finale. O’Brien went clear before he was hauled back by Keely. Amazingly, Tony Kelly missed the incident as he was embroiled with Keely senior on the touch-line at the time.

Monaghan were irate and to further add to the visitors’ frustration, they conceded seconds later. Brilliant work by Gorman gave the Suncroft man room to cross a ball that was bundled home by another substitute, Alan Kelly. The worrying moments never came at the other end and a minute over the ninety Ray Kenny was hauled down inside the area. McNevin fired high to O’Leary’s right. Three goals, three points and a whole lot of relief.

“I think fitness told in the end” said Gorman afterwards. “We were much the stronger in the closing couple of minutes. Our class rose to the top. It was deserved and we eventually showed what we were capable of.

“The turning point may have been Wayne’s save near the end. After that fresh legs and fresh ideas proved the difference. Shay was great when he came into the game. He’s a really impressive player. That’s twice in a number of days he’s shown that.

“We didn’t play well for the 90 but that’s a good sign I reckon. To be up near the top with the best stuff still to come.”

Meanwhile, Russell thought his side were fully deserving of the victory.

“I think they came here for a point. They got the early goal and sat back on their lead and even after we pulled one back they looked content at taking a point away. It looked to be heading that way too until Shay and Philly came on and changed the pace of things.

“At this stage Harps look like the team to beat but that was always going to be the case. They challenged us at Waterford all the way last year and they are a really top side. But as regards ourselves, we’re delighted to take the points tonight. I think they are probably one of the better sides’ in the division despite their position. We’re now in a good position heading into the break.”

The break the Welsh ‘keeper was speaking of -imposed due to the Special Olympics - comes after a trip to Limerick. A win over the Shannonsiders will confirm County’s status amongst the highfliers.

Kildare County: Wayne Russell, Damien Brennan, Mark Hutchinson, Ritchie Purdy, Alan Keely, Ray Kenny, Ray Scully, Matt Britton (Alan Kelly 45), Philip Hughes (Philip Gorman 78), Barry O’Connor (Shay Zeller 78), Alan McNevin.

Monaghan Utd: Danny O’Leary, Stephen Gifford, Declan O’Connell, Alan King, Graham Doyle, Paul Shiels, Eddie Mier, David O’Brien, Trevor Vaughan, Stephen Arkins, Ger Robinson.

Referee: Tony Kelly.