PDA

View Full Version : Would the world be a better place if we could not recognise our own reflection

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 3:03 PM
Would we be less vain. Would it be as materilistic, what would be the negatives if we could not do this.

passinginterest
18/12/2007, 3:06 PM
Would the world be a better place if people didn't get stoned and post their ramblings on the internet?

John83
18/12/2007, 3:10 PM
Sorry to dip slightly off topic, but this is actually one of the tests used for self awareness. If you put a spot of red paint on an orang-utan's head and show it its reflection, it will touch the spot on itself - it recognises that the mirror is reflecting its own appearance. Ditto with a chimp. Gorillas, oddly not.

Back on topic...
To take your question literally, people would still value how they appear to others.

Risteard
18/12/2007, 3:36 PM
Of course it would.
One of my favourite debates is
Would the world be a better place if everyone said what they think? Yes.
Will do a diatribe on it here if i get the time in a day or two.

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 3:44 PM
Would the world be a better place if people didn't get stoned and post their ramblings on the internet?

Would you believe I do not get stoned unless I am in Dundalk where stoned can actually be drunk.

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 5:37 PM
If "we" didnt care how we looked, we'd wouldn't be "us". We evolved to be self-absorbed because it forces us to conform to a "tribe" norm/ideal, which re-enforces our tribal behaviour. we have the ability to think for ourselves, but without a box to think inside or outside of, we would not have evolved to this point either physiologically or culturally.

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 6:45 PM

Definitely not, variety is the spice of life.

To have an attempt at Neil's poser, I don't think it would be a better place. The vast majority of people are happy (or grow to be) with their appearance, and exude self-confidence as a result, which makes the world a better place in my opinion.

If we couldn't recognise ourselves then you'd be taking away that assuredness, you'd always be curious what you looked like no matter what people said, and such uncertainty would lead to unhappiness, which would make the world a worse place. That would be my take on the question.

Tricky, but interesting question Neil. Love those sociology teasers. But where the hell did it come out of?

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 11:48 PM
Not sure where it came out of but like yourself I do like these sort of issues and questions. I think at times we take things for granted and fail to take a look at the world and society and how it comes about that people do what they do and behave how they behave. But there were no drugs that caused this way of thinking.

Stevo Da Gull
19/12/2007, 1:45 AM
GavinZac's answer makes sense, John83's answer is also true.
A lot of animals don't recognise their own reflection... and that can lead to hillarious consequences:D
But seriously, while it's an interesting question, the answer is the world and `us` would definately be different, we would'nt be who we are. Ignoring evolutionary impact, even if you are the least superficial person in the world, recognising your own reflection is part of what makes you who you are.

Billsthoughts
19/12/2007, 8:24 AM
Not sure where it came out of but like yourself I do like these sort of issues and questions. I think at times we take things for granted and fail to take a look at the world and society and how it comes about that people do what they do and behave how they behave. But there were no drugs that caused this way of thinking.

Neil McD - the David Icke of foot.ie......:confused:

cheifo
19/12/2007, 8:37 AM
There was some amusing story about an Elephant and a giant mirror being shown at the end of the news a while back.Cant remember exactly but I think it started doing actions in front of mirror as it had worked out it was its reflection.

NeilMcD
19/12/2007, 9:18 AM
Neil McD - the David Icke of foot.ie......:confused:

You should see my tracksuits. Go on Coventry

Billsthoughts
19/12/2007, 9:57 AM
turquoise????? Is that you Jebus????

lionelhutz
20/12/2007, 11:12 AM
Sorry to dip slightly off topic, but this is actually one of the tests used for self awareness. If you put a spot of red paint on an orang-utan's head and show it its reflection, it will touch the spot on itself - it recognises that the mirror is reflecting its own appearance. Ditto with a chimp. Gorillas, oddly not.

Back on topic...
To take your question literally, people would still value how they appear to others.

Maybe the gorilla likes the spot of red paint and doesnt want to touch it......

jebus
20/12/2007, 11:24 AM
turquoise????? Is that you Jebus????

Eh????

Dodge
20/12/2007, 11:58 AM
Eh????

Because you're the first person to use the name

Jerry The Saint
20/12/2007, 12:08 PM

They tried the same experiment with Pat Morley years ago only they used white paint instead of red. So, scientifically speaking, people from Cork are in the same category as gorillas.

GavinZac
20/12/2007, 7:20 PM
They tried the same experiment with Pat Morley years ago only they used white paint instead of red. So, scientifically speaking, people from Cork are in the same category as gorillas.

Primates? Yeah. If we're different, I'm guessing that means you lot aren't primates.

Rodents seems appropriate.

CollegeTillIDie
21/12/2007, 7:41 AM
This thread has descended to common abuse. Perhaps a moderator can intervene......

NeilMcD
22/12/2007, 10:24 PM
does this thread not belong on muck.ie?M?

Maynooth University Kayak club?

CollegeTillIDie
23/12/2007, 8:06 AM
Maynooth University Kayak club?

No Neil Camogie and Kayak club :D