PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now?

blobbyblob
18/12/2007, 10:58 AM
Anyone know what any of the guys below are doing now?

Tony Galvin
Ronnie Whelan
Chris Hughton
Frank Stapleton
Chris Morris
David O'Leary
Steve Staunton
Gary Kelly
Jason McAteer
Denis Irwin
David Kelly

RogerMilla
18/12/2007, 11:01 AM

Tony Galvin ------------no idea
Ronnie Whelan--------------telly work
Chris Hughton------------just left Spurs
Frank Stapleton-------------media , sky
Chris Morris---------------no idea
David O'Leary--------------looking for a job
Steve Staunton-------------- in hiding
Gary Kelly---------------- still playing isnt he?
Jason McAteer------------- media , sky for bolton games
Denis Irwin------------------media
David Kelly---------------no idea

see above

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 11:13 AM
Thats actually Roy Keane's wishlist for january.

John83
18/12/2007, 11:59 AM
I thought Gary Kelly had retired?

Wikipedia confirms.

superfrank
18/12/2007, 12:10 PM

Ronnie Whelan
He had managed in Greece or Cyprus for a few years, iirc.

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 12:23 PM
He had managed in Greece or Cyprus for a few years, iirc.

Cyprus. He regularly turned down jobs in ELoI because of "the standard". Confidently tipped City to be trounced by Apollon Limasoll.

Hibs4Ever
18/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Chris Morris owns a pastie restaurant in Newquay called Morris Pasties

http://www.morrispasties.co.uk/our_shops.php

Superhoops
18/12/2007, 12:26 PM
According to an article on the FA website last year, Tony Galvin was doing some coaching at non-league level. He was at Goole Town, Royston Town and some club called Buntingford Town in Hertfordshire.

Last year he was working for the Learning and Skills Council as a Further Education Manager.

John83
18/12/2007, 12:30 PM

If only he owned a dance troupe.

dr_peepee
18/12/2007, 12:45 PM
If only he owned a dance troupe.

Or mining contractors!!

dr_peepee
18/12/2007, 12:47 PM
Cyprus. He regularly turned down jobs in ELoI because of "the standard". Confidently tipped City to be trounced by Apollon Limasoll.

Managed in Greece as well. Didn't het get one team to the quarter final of the cup winners cup?

soccerc
18/12/2007, 12:53 PM
David Kelly

David 'Ned' Kelly just left Derby as a coach.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in the new Ireland managerial set up ;)

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 12:56 PM
Managed in Greece as well. Didn't het get one team to the quarter final of the cup winners cup?

They did, but to get there they only had to beat 2 teams - FC Haka of Finland and Apollon Limmasol of Cyprus. I'd be confident of an ELoI team matching that "achievement".

Theskinloyal
18/12/2007, 7:41 PM
I know he wasn't on the list but one of the best stories I think is Terry Phelan managing some side out in New Zealand, wonder how he ended up out there?

Whelan was player/manager with Southend too as well as his cyprus stuff or am I making stuff up?

Traps Cat
18/12/2007, 9:36 PM

Used to think that was just Pie in the Sky , but obviously not

pineapple stu
18/12/2007, 9:40 PM
I know he wasn't on the list but one of the best stories I think is Terry Phelan managing some side out in New Zealand, wonder how he ended up out there?

Whelan was player/manager with Southend too as well as his cyprus stuff or am I making stuff up?
Otago United for Phelan. Usually bottom of the NZ league.

Whelan took Panionios (http://kassiesa.com/uefaclubs/search/fm.php) to the Q/F of the 1998/99 Cup Winners' Cup before losing 7-0 to Lazio. Also managed Apollon Limassol and Olympiakos Nicosia per his Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Whelan).

keenanboy
18/12/2007, 9:42 PM
Appparently a video of stan was aired on Al Jazeera. The age of the tape is unclear but shows he now dyes his hair. Probably chilling out with Osama somewhere deep in Tora Bora.

Blue Man
19/12/2007, 8:42 AM
Whelan actually signed Garry Haylock for Panionios i think.lost 3-2 in the Olimpico in the UEFA Cup Quarters or something to Lazio.Haylock hit the post!!

GavinZac
19/12/2007, 9:01 AM
Whelan actually signed Garry Haylock for Panionios i think.lost 3-2 in the Olimpico in the UEFA Cup Quarters or something to Lazio.Haylock hit the post!!

"or something" was 3-0, to make it 7-0 on aggregate over all. it was the last year of the Cup Winners Cup, big difference to the UEFA cup.

First Round
Panionios (Gre) 2 - 0 Haka (Fin)
Haka (Fin) 1 - 3 Panionios (Gre)

Second Round
Panionios (Gre) 3 - 2 Apollon Limmasol (Cyp)
Apollon Limmasol (Cyp) 0 - 1 Panionios (Gre)

Quarter Final
Panionios (Gre) 0 - 4 Lazio (Ita)
Lazio (Ita) 3 - 0 Panionios (Gre)

They had an easy route past 2 rounds, that, as I said, an eircom league team could realistically (now) achieve. Once there, they were soundly trounced by Lazio. Even in comparison to Lazio's route (past Lausanne and Partizan Belgrade), Panionios got lucky and were showed up. And whelan can bite the back of my balls.

blobbyblob
19/12/2007, 11:37 AM

Terry was playing football in the states with a New Zealand guy who subsequently invited him out and hes now in his 3rd season and has just gotten off to a horrible start but is enjoying it. Still player manager at 41 and running the show by all accounts.

Stuttgart88
19/12/2007, 11:38 AM
Still player manager at 41.Still probably the fastest left back we have, if not still the best!

blobbyblob
19/12/2007, 11:44 AM
Still probably the fastest left back we have, if not still the best!

I could think of worse. Had some dealings with him recently and he couldnt have been nicer. Still loved the Irish fans.

dr_peepee
19/12/2007, 4:10 PM
Remember his lucky green socks??

CollegeTillIDie
20/12/2007, 6:11 AM
Terry Phelan's mother comes from Sligo , which is how he qualified.

Bluebeard
20/12/2007, 9:58 AM
Terry Phelan is a legend. I remember him doing the classic "come & get me" in the Herald I think, just before the Japan. He was 37 at the time and playing in the US - I'd have taken him like a shot.

johnnyc
20/12/2007, 11:07 AM
Phelan was a very good defensive left full. Fastest Irish player in my memory. Did seem to love playing for Ireland. Myself and a few lads went nuts cheering him on when he made something on a comeback in the friendly against Scotland years ago. He made a point of applauding us at the end of the game. Top man.

On the subject of Gary Kelly, I've seen him around Drogheda a few times since he retired. He has a care home for cancer suffers in the town.

OneRedArmy
20/12/2007, 2:17 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in the new Ireland managerial set up ;)Legend.

Stuttgart88
20/12/2007, 2:28 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in the new Ireland managerial set up ;)With Billy Davies as boss?